• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Named N. American Licensor of Tiger and Bunny Merchandise

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
So I guess 27-year old females like me can't be interested in a show full of heroes who are (for once) adult men? oh, demographics! Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, looks like we are out of luck, vashfanatic (26 year old female here).

Oh well, the fact that Viz is looking at merchandise at least seems to suggest that the show will get on television at some point, which is always a good thing in my books.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So I guess 27-year old females like me can't be interested in a show full of heroes who are (for once) adult men? oh, demographics! Laughing

If you think that's bad, check out this banner I read today: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale

Games = just for men. Got it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

If you think that's bad, check out this banner I read today: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale

That ad is hilariously cheesy, though it does not state your conclusion. Another attempt at poor marketing by GameStop. Their demographics should be insulted by these thin ads. Remember the Dead Space 2 ads, about "Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2" ?

While she should as if she has good taste in games, the ad was pathetic & insulting...and come to think, a better source for your conclusion. (Though still not proving said conclusion.)

Nice to know that when a male becomes 26 he's persona non grata in a "key" marketing demographic. Is this a rite of passage, a sign that youth has left? Very Happy Rolling Eyes

In other news, we'll get merch for a show that we'll probably never see on blu-ray or dubbed state-side?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Do you people just bitch because you enjoy bitching? Talk about reading way too much into things. Rolling Eyes
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
I don't know why but hearing about viz media getting the dubbing rights for tiger and bunny puts a very sour note in my mouth
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Advanced Happy Father's Day! Laughing

Echo_City wrote:

Nice to know that when a male becomes 26 he's persona non grata in a "key" marketing demographic. Is this a rite of passage, a sign that youth has left? Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Don't tell that to Adult Swim anime advertisers when you leave ages 19-34! Laughing
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

marie-antoinette wrote:

You obviously haven't seen the fanart for Tiger and Bunny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

marie-antoinette wrote:

I fit in the age demographic just not gender one haha.

Thunderbird- wrote:

I'm actually too scared to click this....
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz plans to release a range of merchandise based on the show, aimed at males between 14 and 25 years old.

Because the show SO OBVIOUSLY targets the exact same demographics. :DDDD

("It's been a while since I last carried you bridal style... have you put on some weight?")
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Quote:
Viz plans to release a range of merchandise based on the show, aimed at males between 14 and 25 years old.

Because the show SO OBVIOUSLY targets the exact same demographics. :DDDD

("It's been a while since I last carried you bridal style... have you put on some weight?")

And the end credits. Dear God the end credits! I think they knew they didn't have much of a chance of this getting a "mainstream" appeal in Japan so they stuck in as much fujoshi-bait as they could at the end there.

And I'm not so much "bitching" as kind of laughing at how I, yet again, like something that is supposedly a "guy" thing. I've no doubt that, well-marketed, this could be quite popular in that particular demographic, and it may be that Viz has done the research and figured out that will be the largest. I mean, I'm not someone who buys a lot of merchandise for shows, and chances are for figurines etc. they might be more likely to get that from a younger, more male audience.

But yes, this kind of series is going to have female fans. And that link to Pixiv did not surprise me at all. I'm not much of a slasher myself, but I know many of my fellow female anime fans certainly are, both here and abroad. Laughing
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

marie-antoinette wrote:

You obviously haven't seen the fanart for Tiger and Bunny.
Ugh, I was trying to repress the internet's take on Tiger & Bunny, but I can't keep my head buried in the sand forever. (Especially as burying one's head when "evil" is already known doesn't do anything Crying or Very sad)

It's still a decent rebuttal to the original assertion...though now that the repressed fan art has been brought back to the forefront of memory, I don't want to watch the show for a while.

Moving on, is Viz giving us T&B action figures a sign that they'll try and dub it to appeal to the broadest possible audience as so to peddle the most merch? I'd like to think so, as this show needs a dub. Unfortunately, Viz doesn't go that extra mile for dub quality, nor is it likely that they'll employ my preferred dub actors...or shoot, since this is Viz, actors who I've even heard of.

Maybe we'll even get a blu-ray/dvd release, one that hopefully won't stop after releasing eps 1-8.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Well, as a 20 year old female whose been loving the show, I'd love to have an action figure of Dragon Kid if it was well enough made and all the fujoshi can take the Tiger and Bunny ones. Sooooo much slash out there, although my favorite fanart from the show is the one that parodies the American Sunday comics.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
So a 31 pervert cant get a Blue Rose stuff
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
i've only seen the 1st episode of Tiger and Bunny because i'm waiting for the inevitable DVD/Bluray release (..also time to sit down and watch it online..)
but even from the 1st episode, my fujoshi instincts were kicking in... (22 female btw)

still. demographics aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of merchandise comes out of Viz

(wait, does that mean no Tiger and Bunny nendoroids or figmas?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3