• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Discotek keeps releasing all these weird old things, and I'm starting to understand what it might have been like in the earlier days of fandom. I can also look at my friend's fiancee's shelf, where he has the old Streamline dub for Akira on VHS, Ninja Scroll, and some assorted things that look terrible. Oh and La Blue Girl, with a cheap paper artbox and everything (the spines even make a picture! Not a very appropriate picture, but a picture. A picture that makes you say "I don't care how hard you insist everyone here is definitely over 18, you are lying" sort of picture).
But anyway, ages ago (or early 2011), I recall the Mike Toole show mentioning things that were on VHS only. Since then, only one thing appears to be able to leave the list, courtesy of Discotek, and that is the Locke the Superman movie. I quite enjoyed it, it had an interesting plot, it told its story in the time it had and it told it pretty well, and it tried some interesting visual stuff. That said, it clearly busted most of its budget on those 5 second bits of interesting visuals as, despite being made in 1984, the Galaxy Express 999 movie made in 1979 looks a lot better. It really doesn't look much more impressive than some of the better looking TV series of the early 80s, or even Rose of Versailles which started in the late 70s. I mean, there are good looking movies from 1984, like Do You Remember Love?, but this is just average looking at best. I don't mind though because I enjoyed the rest of it. Also, it had this tendency to remind me of Toward the Terra. Something about psychics probably, and kinda going off and making a small society of their own. Though the Toward the Terra movie was 5 manga shoved into one movie, Locke is different in that its manga is clearly told in arcs and they just adapted one arc, so it was able to feel complete without being rushed. And plots are quite different to, but the whole 70s psychic thing definitely gives off the same vibe (well I Say 70s, but Locke's manga start in '67). Still, for fans of either the Toward the Terra movie, or the TV show that I consider easily far superior. I definitely think it's worth checking out and I'm quite glad that Discotek has put it out on DVD! Next ancient perviously VHS only thing I plan to buy from them: Mad Bull 34. On the expectation that it will be awesome for all the opposite reasons as Locke.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the Time of Eve movie; I've seen this anime receive much praise so I decided to give it a try many months ago but never had the motivation to start on it. I ended up watching the first ONA on CrunchyRoll and then sought a better quality version because I couldn't stand the quality Crunchyroll provided. It was a very satisfying watch and I loved seeing how Rikuo and Masaki change through their interactions with the customers of Time of Eve; the only part I wasn't quite satisfied with was the lack of backstory for several of the customers which would had made my experience much better but it was still a great watch. I really enjoyed the show's examination of the relationship between men and machine; I'm quite fascinated by its take on the differences between human and robots -- the androids themselves showed signs of humanity yet they're not human; this was a theme that I quite enjoyed.

I wish I was better at expressing my sentiments as I had plans to review this but because I am poor with words, I failed to properly project my thoughts other than that I enjoyed the show. It's a very pleasant watch with a very interesting theme. These little praise is the only justice I can do for this show.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
Last week I saw Shakugan no Shana season 1. It was above average, but relied on a lame Deus Ex Machina device for its denouement.

I saw two episodes of Case Closed season 3, and finished them less than five minutes ago. Lots of fun. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Just finished Chocotto Sister. Yes, I finished it. This was essentially three shows in one. One is a brainless Ecchi-Harem-Comedy loaded with fanservice. Breast-grabbing, bathing, walk-ins, you name it. Two is a Lolicon show that has a fetish for Choco, who is physically about eleven or twelve. The camera lingers on her, at times she's treated more as a pet than a person, and boy is there fanservice of her galore. Not only up-skirt panty shots and numerous scenes of Choco in lingerie, but many scenes of her wandering around naked or undressing. We see her nipples from time to time, and they aren't innocent pink circles but clearly-defined, carefully drawn and utterly sexualised.

The third face of Chocotto Sister was of a surprisingly well-written Slice-of-Life/Drama. It had strong themes such as coping with loss, whether the success of your dreams is worth more than staying together with your love, the negative effects of bullying, the sacrifices that must be made to raise a child, to name a few. This was the side of the show that always seemed so close to taking over the other two, especially in later episodes when the tone got darker and more serious. If it had, that would have been great. But it never did. Because every time there was a tender scene, the fanservice and the Lolicon would come back as strong as ever. To say Chocotto Sister shot itself in the foot would be an understatement. It shot itself in both feet, not once but numerous times. It continually undermined all that great writing and drama with some of the worst excesses in the genre.

I stayed to the end to see if it could ever break out of its confines and be the good show it could have and should have been. It never did, although like I said it came pretty darn close. Ultimately, I cannot recommend it unless you are fan of Ecchi shows in general and Lolicon in particular. But hey, at least Chocotto Sister is better - much better - than Moetan, a show so utterly horrendous it had me wanting to run for the hills before the FBI knocked down my door.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Right now I'm watching One Piece, and the reboot of Hunter x Hunter, because well... those two are my respective number 2 and number 1 manga! Also, I'm about to start Gundam SEED Destiny!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Wiizard wrote:
Also, I'm about to start Gundam SEED Destiny!

You have my condolences. That show is awful, and you're about to lose your innocence.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
=O

I liked Gundam SEED, it was decent. I have heard the sequel isn't much better, but never with any solid arguments to back it up.

Still, unless it's unwatchable, I think I'll enjoy it the same, I'm watching mainly for the giant robot fights.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked Gundam SEED a lot. As in, it's my favourite Gundam show ever. But Gundam SEED Destiny is an insult to the entire franchise and made me hate the returning characters like Kira, Ahtrun and Cagalli. It's a terrible show, quite frankly, and you're better off not watching it at all.

I would explain why it is bad - there's a veritable mountain of evidence I could use - but much of it is spoilers. I ask you to simply trust me on this.

I will say that if you do watch the show, the beginning is quite good, but don't be fooled. Episode eight is about the high-water mark of the show. The rest of the series is downhill, apart from a couple of good episodes scattered in the middle.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll keep that in mind, but hey, too curious to pass. Maybe it'll ruin the characters, but I'll never think less of the original because of the sequel. I'm chill with stuff like that.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I finished Texhnolyze. It was very good, but I don't really have any desire to watch it ever again. The series is very effective at creating a bleak oppressive atmosphere which is at the same time captivating as it is challenging. I don't think it was as obtuse as Lain ,but it isn't what I would call accessible. I would recommend it. Just don't watch if you want something light or happy.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I also JUST finished marathoning Ouran High School Host Club and RahXephon after hearing their praises sung during the Revenge of the 00's ANNCast.

What did you think of RahXephon? I'm curious to know.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed it. I can definitely see the connection to EVA, but I think the way the series dealt with its themes was a lot more...I guess positive would be the word? I was a bit lost with some of it during the last half, but by the end I felt like I understood the themes and message of the show, even if I still had a few questions about the events that took place.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I liked Gundam SEED a lot. As in, it's my favourite Gundam show ever. But Gundam SEED Destiny is an insult to the entire franchise and made me hate the returning characters like Kira, Ahtrun and Cagalli. It's a terrible show, quite frankly, and you're better off not watching it at all.

I would explain why it is bad - there's a veritable mountain of evidence I could use - but much of it is spoilers. I ask you to simply trust me on this.

I will say that if you do watch the show, the beginning is quite good, but don't be fooled. Episode eight is about the high-water mark of the show. The rest of the series is downhill, apart from a couple of good episodes scattered in the middle.

I'll make an attempt.

I enjoyed the original Gundam Seed, despite a start similar to watching walls peel (in terms of speed, not quality).

Destiny, however, relied on flashy special effects and too many overpowered robots just going at it.

Kira became spoiler[even more idealistic than he was in the first season, valuing free will over a collectivist society free from conflict.]

Cagalli spoiler[turned from a stalwart Amazon warrior into a namby-pamby politician, at least until she discovers her father's legacy in the latter half of the series.]

While the original Gundam Seed focused on the consequences of war at several levels, Destiny was more of a special effects show with the philosophical aspects considerably watered-down.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
While the original Gundam Seed focused on the consequences of war at several levels, Destiny was more of a special effects show with the philosophical aspects considerably watered-down.

While I do see why this would kill the series for some people, I'm here mostly for the fireworks. I liked the political intrigue, but I never felt it to be as strong as the combat and character development (at least from halfway towards the end). I've seen it done much better by other shows, at least in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 742 of 1062