• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Can I Get Anime Soundtracks on Vinyl?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
A properly assembled stereo system, with Turntable, Amplification, Speakers or Headphones can work magic with vinyl. I personally enjoy my albums & equipment plus I do hope that the recent interest in vinyl leads to enough happy users to keep it available.

I would buy Anime soundtracks on vinyl, sure, but I don't think they will ever become anything big.

Mark Gosdin
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The older Lupin soundtracks all received vinyl releases, IIRC. Would be pretty sweet to own. Yuji Ono's music was pretty influential.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy was released on Vinyl

http://s25.postimg.org/41mw1q3kv/Space_Dandy_Vinyl.jpg
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...maybe this vinyl revival will lead to an 8-track revival and a cassette tape one as well.

Anime osts on magnetic tape...sweet.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Vinyl is something of a niche market today no matter the genre of music. How ironic that vinyl records are more expensive than CDs when it was the other way around about 30 years ago when CDs were becoming more commonplace.

I suppose I can understand the appeal of vinyl, but I hope we DON'T see the return of the 8-track tape!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Purchase one of these. Job done. Wink
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing at this point part of the appeal of anime vinyl will be the reissuing of obscure/forgotten soundtracks that tickle the fancy of audiophiles who like to think they're rediscovering the lost (& better) history of a genre. It won't be till the original rights holders see vinyl as a way to make an extra £10+ on an album sale that the more popular soundtracks will get (re)issued that way.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
For the record, there have also been vinyls for K-on.

While not Anime, ISTR that there was a limited edition of a Persona game here in the UK which had a vinyl record.

--edit--
Before I got distracted by pesky work, mine was the first post in the thread...

TnKtRk wrote:
Hmm...maybe this vinyl revival will lead to an 8-track revival and a cassette tape one as well.

Anime osts on magnetic tape...sweet.

I'm sure there's been a cassette tape for K-on also.
Ah, yes: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-09-14/k-on-album-to-ship-on-audio-cassette-tape

Also: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-04-26/sailor-moon-20th-anniversary-tribute-album-goes-vinyl
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
One can find a ton of classic anime soundtracks on vinyl if you go on e-bay. I bought the A Contact and Be Invoked soundtracks for only $16 each and they were in every good condition. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the more recent titles released on vinyl.
MacrossJunkie

For the record (no pun intended) I've actually found quite a few Anime Soundtracks on Vinyl. Most of them are older and from the 80's, but none the less.... I've found Kimagure Orange Road, Genesis Climber Mospeada, Macross, Venus Wars, and Dirty Pair just to name a few. Some of them are especially easy to find as well, just look on EBAY or Amazon...
Hoppy800

There's quite a few Gundam soundtracks on Vinyl if you search around.
Bishonen Knife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I know I'll forever hate myself for sharing this - as it'll drive up prices - but....

www.discogs.com

There's a good amount of Classic Old School anime like:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Super-Dimension-Fortress-Macross-Vol-III-Miss-DJ/release/4752049

http://www.discogs.com/You-The-Explosion-Band-Lupin-The-3rd-Talks-Lupin-III/release/6033031

http://www.discogs.com/久石譲-はるかな地へ風の谷のナウシカサウンドトラック-Haruka-Na-Chi-E-Nausica/release/1652279

And so forth.

Part of the reason that Vinyl hasn't had the resurgence in Japan is that it never really went away. It went away in terms of production - vinyl isn't being pressed like it used to be (which is a shame because Japanese pressings are pretty much the best) and there isn't the phenomena of 180 gram pressings by current bands at ridiculous prices; but the Japanese (and now chinese) have been collecting classic vinyl for some time - there was a NYT article on it I think a while back.

My personal opinion? These classic releases above are going to sound better on vinyl as that is what the dominant medium was and what they were mixed for. Recent stuff wouldn't sound as good and wouldn't be worth it as it wasn't made for vinyl, it was made for digital distribution. Kind of like taking a blue ray and making a vhs tape of it....
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
One can find a ton of classic anime soundtracks on vinyl if you go on e-bay. I bought the A Contact and Be Invoked soundtracks for only $16 each and they were in every good condition. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the more recent titles released on vinyl.

Yes! This is very true! I have several classic anime LPs including several from Bubblegum Crisis & Macross, a couple from Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, and more.

I follow vinyl releases in general (not just anime) and frankly "Answerman" has it dead on right: the new releases these days tend to be either dance-related music for DJs or classic album re-issues for audiophiles. There's a few of pop culture reissues and collector's special editions too but those are less common. I don't think we will see much in the way of Vinyl for anime soundtracks with the exceptions of the special collector's items which are few and far between.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Another possible reason for lukewarm take on vinyl on the other side of the Pacific is storage. Vinyl is huge. Storing piles of them in a 6 to 8 tatami sized room is a nightmare.

Would like to see what all the hubbub is all about from this revival, but so many roadblocks ahead of me. I was born after the vinyl age and the types of music I listen to haven't really dabbled in this medium. Plus, I don't have the equipment to play them.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Would like to see what all the hubbub is all about from this revival, but so many roadblocks ahead of me. I was born after the vinyl age and the types of music I listen to haven't really dabbled in this medium.

Not to worry, I was born pre-digital and have embraced digital music and photography wholeheartedly. I don't miss the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3