• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whats your favourite movie ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hell, Im sure it's been done before but I haven't seen it yet on the disscussion board. Please give explanation instead of just lists so that the board will not be deleted.
balla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
My personal favourite although an ova is the Rurouni Kenshin prequel Ova. It has in my eyes the best music very deep character development and story and the action speaks for itself.
Dr.Doom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I've always had a thing for the creatures of the night. Vampire dying out, the world a waste land(a popular feature for the future) , goth all around. makes for a good night.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
Godzilla vs. Biollante. I think this thread will probably be locked, but I think its a shame this place doesn't have an off topic forum.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I think its a shame this place doesn't have an off topic forum.

That would be nuts. We just touched on that subject in the chat room. You sometimes get a lot of gibberish in those kinds of topics, but maybe it'd be different with our members... Anime smallmouth.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:38 am Reply with quote
It's hard to pinpoint my favourite as I actually like quite a few of them.

GITS would be one of them. At that time, it had some of the best animation around, and the theme that it explored was interesting too. And it helped that I loved the manga too, although I found that the movie lacked the slight homour in the manga.

Kiki's Delivery Service is still one of my favourite feel-good movies, after all these years. It really has a simple plot but I just love happy endings. A simple village witch going to the big city and making a name for herself and lots of friends too at the same time, with nothing more than her abilities and determination.

There are others, but I'll need to look deep into my memory.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
Probably Metropolis. I've watched it at least 50 times and I still love it. It is a great piece of work. The artwork is different and very unique. A very good piece of work from Tezuka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
My favorite movie is a tie between Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies. Mononoke because it was the first Ghibli film that I ever saw, and it touched me in a way no anime had done before. Fireflies because that was the first anime that made me full on cry. That story is so beautiful, and so sad all at once. To be perfectly honest, they both still move me in the same way today that they did back when I first saw them.

~LoneWolf
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:03 am Reply with quote
Lone Wolf and Cub wrote:
My favorite movie is a tie between Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies. Mononoke because it was the first Ghibli film that I ever saw, and it touched me in a way no anime had done before. Fireflies because that was the first anime that made me full on cry. That story is so beautiful, and so sad all at once. To be perfectly honest, they both still move me in the same way today that they did back when I first saw them.

~LoneWolf

Ah yes, Grave of Fireflies. One of the best that I can only watch once. Because it's so heart rending. My heart can't take the stress of watching it again. I still think about it every time I get home and see my son. How can anyone allow 2 little children to be out there fending for themselves, but I guess in a situation like that, it's everyone for themselves.

Edited and cleaned up. Nice!

Last edited by Ken Hayashi on Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote
Mononoke Hime, the rightful heir of Nausicaä manga. Period.

As for Grave of the Fireflies, well, I've got something to say...

Ken Hayashi wrote:
How can anyone allow 2 little children to be out there fending for themselves, but I guess in a situation like that, it's everyone for themselves. Still, the aunt was WICKED! Really selfish.

We all agree the aunt is not a good person, but IMHO Seita gives her too many reasons to kick them out.

1. spoiler[He doesn't try to get a job or help house chores, just keeps playing with Setsuko.]

2. spoiler[He plays the harmonium without permission. A harmonium was considered one of luxuaries at the time and carefully maintained; playing without permission would anger the owner for sure.]

3. spoiler[I didn't hear him apologizing for one single time. Aunt and her family are harsh and selfish, but under such circumstance one must persevere no matter how much humiliation he has to take. It's a war, and Setsuko's life depends on him. It's better to keep his head down.]

In summary, Setsuko was indirectly killed by Seita's pride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:47 am Reply with quote
I withdrew this opinion

~LoneWolf

Last edited by Lone Wolf and Cub on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:56 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
3. spoiler[I didn't hear him apologizing for one single time. Aunt and her family are harsh and selfish, but under such circumstance one must persevere no matter how much humiliation he has to take. It's a war, and Setsuko's life depends on him. It's better to keep his head down.]

Not only that. Please bear in mind that this is Japan - where people eat, sleep and breathe apologies, from sunrise to sunset. Living with a relative (even when one is indirectly paying one's own way, as Seita and Setsuko are) requires constant apologies for the burden and imposition (迷惑 - meiwaku) one is placing on the relative. spoiler[While there is no doubt that the aunt is being rapacious and essentially robbing Seita and Setsuko of their inheritance, they are still expected to apologise for being a burden - and to make every effort to help out in any way they can.

The fact that Seita spends his time doing nothing productive, and doesn't even apologise, is tantamount to incredible rudeness in Japan. The American equivalent, in terms of rudeness, would be if you'd taken in a relative's child and he started to vandalise your home.]

dormcat wrote:
In summary, Setsuko was indirectly killed by Seita's pride.

I would have to agree completely with this. It's not a pleasant thought, but it's the truth. It's worse than that, though. In an interview in the June 1987 issue of Animage, Akiyuki Nosaka had this to say about the real-life background of the story:
Akiyuki Nosaka wrote:

spoiler[Honestly speaking, there was also relief that she died and my burden was gone. No one would wake me up in the night like she did with her crying, and I wouldn't have to wander around with a child on my back any more. I'm very sorry to say this about my sister, but I did have those feelings too. That's why I haven't gone back to my novel to re-read it, since I hate that. It's so hypocritical. It must be absolutely true that Seita must have thought of his sister as a burden too. He must have thought that he could have escaped better if it weren't for her.

There are many things that I just couldn't get myself to write into the story. During composition, the older brother got increasingly transformed into a better human being. I was trying to compensate for everything I couldn't do myself. I always thought I wanted to perform these generous acts in my head, but I couldn't do so. I always thought I wouldn't eat and would give the food to my little sister, but when I actually had the piece of food in my hand, I was hungry after all, so I'd eat it. And there was nothing like the deliciousness of eating in a situation like that. And the pain that followed was just as big. I'd think there is no one more hopeless in the world than me. I didn't put anything about this in the novel.]

(Excerpt taken from the English translation published in Animerica Vol. 2, No. 11, 1994, via nausicaa.net)

-abunai

Last edited by abunai on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:01 am Reply with quote
1.Grave of the Fireflies(pure masterpiece but hard to watch more then one time)
2.Ninja Scroll-The Movie
3.Patlabor 2- The movie
4.Wings of Honneamise DUB

EDIT: Just read the whole thread and want to add my opinion too:

In situation of war one must surrvive. No matter how hard it is or how much your pride was hurt you must surrvive. If you have to kiss ass to surrvive then you shall do that. Everything goes.

I'm talking sort of from Experiance. I'm from civil war in ex-Yugoslavia where things would get terrible beyond your wildest imaginations. People do anything to live little longer. If you stick as collective you live longer so that's why I think big brother did an mistake by leaving his aunt and trying to live by himself with his sis. I wish he understood it on time and changed their fate.

Peace

Fuu
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:25 am Reply with quote
Allright, now that you have put it that way Abunai, I agree. I guess I just did not take the culture differences into account. Now that I have, I will respectfully withdraw my previous opinion. I still think this movie is a timeless classic though, so I guess my instincts told me to defend the main character. Really nice research BTW, very enlightning.

~LoneWolf
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:02 am Reply with quote
my favorite movie isnt a anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5