• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beelzebub (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Beelzebub (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, slice of life, supernatural
Themes: delinquents, demons, developing powers, fighting, parenting, school, taking care of a child

Plot Summary: Tatsumi Oga is a first year student in Ishiyama High School, a school for delinquents, where he is called the "strongest juvenile delinquent". One day while sleeping next to a river, Tatsumi sees a man floating down it. Tatsumi pulls him to shore and the man splits in half, revealing a baby boy. This boy, Beelzebub, is the son of the demon king, and Tatsumi, along with Beelzebub's demon maid Hilda, has been chosen as the one to raise him.
----------------------------------

I was worried that the anime wasn't going to be as funny as the manga,(heard some things about the director) but apparently there's nothing to fear here. The first episode was hilarious and pretty faithful to the manga. My only complaint was that I expected the Demon Lord to sound more...like a demon lord, but I guess the voice suits his lazy personality.

Also Baby Beel sounds adorable.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many people are gonna hate this and then I'll feel alone because I haven't read the manga.

Oh well, whatever. I laughed a few times and had fun
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
this was funny! hope they can keep it up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Not feeling it. I was just about to bail and then Hilda showed up, so I hung around to check her out. I like Goth chicks. I'll give it more of a chance, but I have a feeling I won't be going the distance with it. I hate cartoon babies.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking it, and it's following the manga closely as of now. There were additional scenes and funny parts. I'll stick around with it but I will be a week off in terms of episodes (since I will watching it legally as of Ep 2.)
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
this was funny! hope they can keep it up.

Same here. Not my type of humor, but it was somewhat funny and if I were a kid, I would've had a ball. Humor is straightforward though, but I guess that makes sense.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
They overdid the zapping joke with anime filler school scenes but once Hilda arrived things got back on track

Kind of wished they kept Oga's RPG thought process. When he first meets Baby Be'el his considered options are "Fight, Run, Threaten, Sob, Kill" done like RPG fight options. Razz

Overall, I'll keep up and hope they don't catch up with the manga too fast. Given how weak most of the school zaps became I already don't trust the animators at doing their own thing
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
Don't know anything about the manga but it was pretty fun and decently funny and now that there are more active characters I imagine it will continue to get funnier and I'll give them time to dial it in since I expect this will go on quite long.

I hope Hilda's good since she was my initial draw, and then after looking into it finding out that Oga would be a "tough guy" voiced by the awesome dude who voiced Kamina.

Royal Devil wrote:
Kind of wished they kept Oga's RPG thought process. When he first meets Baby Be'el his considered options are "Fight, Run, Threaten, Sob, Kill" done like RPG fight options. Razz

Oh man, as a JRPG gamer that would have been freaking hilarious, I loved that similar joke in Excel Saga.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
The filler additions took me a bit out of it, but It got back on track towards the end.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote
I hate babies. But I liked the first episode. I'm a fan of protagonists like that, though the baby's still a big turn off. I enjoyed the blond girl, but so far she seems quite generic (oh, this damn word, lol). I'm sure it'll be quite funny later on.

Annoying baby, annoying demon lord. Likable hero, heroine (I assume?), and hero's best friend.

But to be fair, I did expect something better.

Bill 156 is so making this 18+.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
"YOU. KICKED. A. DEMON!"

I almost lost it there. While my enjoyment certainly dipped throughout the episode (the electrocuting thing got old really fast), I had a lot of good laughs. All the characters are also likable and like the way they interact. Hilda is probably my favorite so far because I expected her to be more quiet, but sarcastic like Matsurika from Maria Holic, but I'm glad she has spunk; the way she reacts when Beelz doesn't come to her and when her bird gets kicked were hilarious.

I also must admit that it feels cool to start a long running shonen show (I assume this will be one) from the beginning. All the others came before my time, so this is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
I think I have a lot of things to say about this from watching the first episode, most important on is that I really really don't want to keep seeing a baby penis, put a nappy on that thing.

Well I didn't really have much of a draw in watching this, and from the get go I was totally confused, I don't watch much delinquent anime, but this was nuts *make joke abot baby's privates*. And no one is going to complain about the main character be the same old personality, he is basicly a demon, what is stopping him from being a villain. The faces were a bit funny though.

Now Hilda is a gothic clothed nanny from hell, and that is meant in a good way. She might be a bit interesting, funnelly enough her voice actor played the dark mage in Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao, so there is a bit of overlapping of character.

The baby's voice is cute, and the odd idea of makeing a demon lord cute is kind of intersting, as is what it's father is like. Also a possible coincidence is that "bub" can be slang for a baby.
opn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the episode greatly it was nice to see pierrot add moments there weren't explained well in the manga like how hilda got there and the lunch room which wasn't in the manga either.the music was quite great the opening was hilarious and the ending was pretty great.the animation was as like the music great as to be expected that said I can't wait till it gets to the latter arcs in the series since its been confirmed more or less to be a 50+ episode anime though we should be safe for as far as fillers go.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I enjoy the manga, which I think was better paced, but the anime version kind of drags a bit. It's still fun, but I don't know that it's worth watching when other things are available.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
"YOU. KICKED. A. DEMON!"

I almost lost it there. While my enjoyment certainly dipped throughout the episode (the electrocuting thing got old really fast), I had a lot of good laughs. All the characters are also likable and like the way they interact. Hilda is probably my favorite so far because I expected her to be more quiet, but sarcastic like Matsurika from Maria Holic, but I'm glad she has spunk; the way she reacts when Beelz doesn't come to her and when her bird gets kicked were hilarious.

I also must admit that it feels cool to start a long running shonen show (I assume this will be one) from the beginning. All the others came before my time, so this is nice.

Yeah I think that was one of the best jokes.

Totally agree on the electrocuting getting old real fast, even some of the spots I thought it might be funny it was kind of lifeless or slow or something lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6