• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So what's the deal over there at funimation.com?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I blame Hulu for this mostly

Premium videos for Elite subscribers don't use Hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

No we don't but i do use their roku app.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I do not have many issues with the EVS service using a bare bones install of Chrome. Admittedly they do have some major problems though. I joined the night EVS went live and for the first few months everything was excellent with no problems, and then it steadily went down hill, especially with speed problems. At one point page loads could be measured in minutes....minutes. It was seriously worse that when I used a 56k , modem and AOL in the early 90s. I think that they are using Cloudflare now as their CDN...I think they used to use tremormedia or edgecast and at that time their Web site's performance was much better. If I had to guess they might have made the mistake of choosing their streaming technology that had a lot of features first and then basically trying to shoehorn it into their business, instead of doing an analysis of the particular features they needed to accomplish a detailed list of functions for their site and then going out and finding the tech that would fit. The site has been improving lately though. 2 months ago it would not be uncommon to get a varnish cache server error, or an error that the site was down 25% of the time.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Setting up an maintaining a media delivery web site is not a trivial task and never comes off well by accident or by people who don't know what they are doing. Funimation's site doesn't seem very well designed to me and lacks a lot of features -- like viewing history --- that it really should have.

From posts here and there my take is that a) their service is based on an outmoded design and framework, and b) they have servers crashing and are possibly too old and too slow for the traffic demand. The stuff they stream from hulu works well but that is hulu's doing not funimation.

I hear from everyone but them that they have an upgrade coming -- I hope so. As it is there are a lot of people pissed off at them.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
I think that they are using Cloudflare now as their CDN...I think they used to use tremormedia or edgecast and at that time their Web site's performance was much better.

I believe Cloudflare is used purely as a proxy for the site itself, not the videos, the same way ANN uses the service - I don't believe Cloudflare even offers any specific video CDN services (and secure streaming needs FMS or something at the other end).
They used to use Edgecast, I'm not sure if they still are since I don't have access.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
@Shiroi Hane

You could be right, I wasn't sure. I was just going by the fact that I have to now allow Cloudflare to run to get videos to work (I'm using NoScript) and then looking at Cloudflare's Web site to learn a little more about them. They say they do CDN service, but Funimation might not be in fact using them for it, and only for their caching and optimization services. I guess I kinda just made the assumption that they were when Edgecast no longer showed up under my NoScript menu but Cloudflare did.

I know that it is a frustrating site to deal with though. I've personally not experienced another situation like it where the service from a company is so sub par for such an extended period of time without major changes or detailed and frequent explanations to the customers on what the problems are, and the status of repairs.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

We will all breathe a sigh of relief the day Funi catches on and creates a stream-friendly TV-viewable PS3 app, the way Netflix, Hulu+, Crackle, Crunchyroll, Amazon, CinemaNow and Vudu already have.
Those might be only isolated examples, though. Rolling Eyes

(Although knowing them, it might come out as bugged-up as that crazy YouTube app. Anyone else still use that one after a week?)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Funi put out a nice PS3 app.

Anywho back on topic, yeah Funi's site has been super-buggy the last couple of weeks, although supposedly the "Big Update" is coming "Very Soon" But that could be a 1 month very soon or a 1 year very soon...who knows. Confused
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
That's the one thing that has frustrated me most about this whole C.F. since the beginning. The "Big Update" has been rumored since the early part of last year. Now I know that with IT it can be hard to guarantee a specific delivery date (unless you are using F.D.D. that is) but to not even give paying members at least an idea of when they can hope to see something...within a month? next quarter? within 6 months? seems to be a terrible disregard for customer satisfaction. I've stuck with the Elite membership since it began , but I really think that their customers deserve a lot more communication.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I'd love to see Funi put out a nice PS3 app.

Anywho back on topic, yeah Funi's site has been super-buggy the last couple of weeks, although supposedly the "Big Update" is coming "Very Soon" But that could be a 1 month very soon or a 1 year very soon...who knows. Confused

Well they have yet to still fix the Iphone app that has been broken for nearly a year at this point, so dont get your expectations up. Well I should say the developers of the app haven't but that's a moot point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
I consume most of my anime via streaming through my Roku device, which is awesome because I can watch in HD on my big TV without worrying about hooking it up to my PC. For the most part, it is awesome, and I am subscribed to both Crunchyroll and Funimation because they support the Roku.

CR's Roku channel is amazing and works perfectly. Funimation's.. not so much. I've been an Elite Subscriber for about six months now, and I've never tried to watch it on their website, but I use their Roku channel for simulcasts a few times a week. And it is slow. Ridiculously slow. To the point where I click on Funimation.. and it takes 2-3 full minutes for the shows to load. Then I click on the show I want.. another 2-3 full minutes for the episodes to pop up. I'm not even exaggerating, I have time to leave the room an go do something else, then come back before it loads up.

Now, once it starts playing, it plays fine and doesn't have to stop and buffer, even at 1080p. But when I want to watch one of my Funi-simulcast series, I know Im going to need about 10 minutes prior just to get into the app and select the show I want. I don't want to pirate a show if it is legally available, so I live with it, but man, they really need to get on the ball with the way their streaming services work. CR does it so perfectly - Funi could learn a lot from them.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
I consume most of my anime via streaming through my Roku device, which is awesome because I can watch in HD on my big TV without worrying about hooking it up to my PC. For the most part, it is awesome, and I am subscribed to both Crunchyroll and Funimation because they support the Roku.

CR's Roku channel is amazing and works perfectly. Funimation's.. not so much. I've been an Elite Subscriber for about six months now, and I've never tried to watch it on their website, but I use their Roku channel for simulcasts a few times a week. And it is slow. Ridiculously slow. To the point where I click on Funimation.. and it takes 2-3 full minutes for the shows to load. Then I click on the show I want.. another 2-3 full minutes for the episodes to pop up. I'm not even exaggerating, I have time to leave the room an go do something else, then come back before it loads up.

Now, once it starts playing, it plays fine and doesn't have to stop and buffer, even at 1080p. But when I want to watch one of my Funi-simulcast series, I know Im going to need about 10 minutes prior just to get into the app and select the show I want. I don't want to pirate a show if it is legally available, so I live with it, but man, they really need to get on the ball with the way their streaming services work. CR does it so perfectly - Funi could learn a lot from them.

Same here. Love my Roku and and watching anime on it. What's sad is the Manga Entertainment Roku app is far better then funimation, even with ads and it's limited movies and series it has, at least works and loads properly, unlike funimations app.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
After being away for a while (stopped going after Railgun S finished) I checked back in at funimation.com to see what was new. It seems like they completely re-vamped the site and I have to say it is about a million times better.

Not perfect (no web site is) but at least they seem to have cured the constant annoying delays. Good on them.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Very true, I really like the revamped site. Pages load very fast now instead of like fraking dial-up-like speeds like before, and I haven't been having any of the video corruption issues either.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they could do something about all the censoring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3