• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Stories

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
What happened to the original thread?

Oh well. My thoughts are still the same.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
hooliganj wrote:
I take issue with the proclamation that Gakkou no Kaidan has "zero fans in the states". I'll admit that it isn't a 4 star title, and that there isn't much buzz, but such an extreme assumption flies against common sense. I, at least, found the original to be an enjoyable show, and I doubt I'm the only one.

I also can't be the only one to get a sense of foreboding when I hear such praise about work like this. I don't object to alterations in a script; I wish some shows would do it more often to rework awkward dialogue and scenes or jokes that just don't translate. But there's got to be a limit. Rewriting a character and adding pop-culture references just to sell more copies isn't ingenious, it's pandering.

And if the reviewer thinks I have a "stick wedged firmly into someplace uncomfortable", I'll be happy to meet him on the playground of his choice and stick it where the sun don't shine.

There's a whole other thread for this preview here:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16834

And kindly take the internet tough guy "I'll beat you up" talk to some forum where they tolerate nonsense like that.

My apologies, my remarks were regarding the review, not the preview, and when I clicked on the button marked "Respond to this Review" it took me straight to the posting window.

As for the "beat you up" talk, it was simply a response to the rather juvenile condescension I found in the article. Judging by the responses in the rest of this thread, your preview article contained a similar tone.

Instead I'll offer a wild speculation, one that is as groundless and based on derivative interpretation as some of the statements in the review. How much money changed hands to make a supposedly unbiased reviewer espouse this dub so closely? Before you get insulted, remember that I imagine this implication to be as true as the statement that Gakkou no Kaidan has 0 fans.
Winter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
As for the "beat you up" talk, it was simply a response to the rather juvenile condescension I found in the article. Judging by the responses in the rest of this thread, your preview article contained a similar tone.

Instead I'll offer a wild speculation, one that is as groundless and based on derivative interpretation as some of the statements in the review. How much money changed hands to make a supposedly unbiased reviewer espouse this dub so closely? Before you get insulted, remember that I imagine this implication to be as true as the statement that Gakkou no Kaidan has 0 fans.

Yes, I'm sure those "groundless" statements in the review were meant to be taken as 100% sincere and factual and not at all derived from a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Winter wrote:
Yes, I'm sure those "groundless" statements in the review were meant to be taken as 100% sincere and factual and not at all derived from a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.

Sarcasm aside, I was sure that they were; hence my original, equally tongue-in-cheek response about what to do with the stick. However, my response was taken more seriously, and so I am forced to assume that a sense of humor was also absent in the original review, and equally not welcome here, in which case the statemens were groundless, and not a little offensive.
Winter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Sarcasm aside, I was sure that they were; hence my original, equally tongue-in-cheek response about what to do with the stick.

Yet you treated his assertion that Ghost Stories has 0 American fans (an obviously false and presumptuous assertion made in a tongue-in cheek manner) with total seriousness, just as he responded to your statement about the stick seriously.

Looks to me like the pot's calling the kettle black.

Quote:
However, my response was taken more seriously, and so I am forced to assume that a sense of humor was also absent in the original review, and equally not welcome here, in which case the statemens were groundless, and not a little offensive.

That's a pretty big leap in logic, and a very self-serving one at that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
hkrok:
Quote:
The problem is the fact that people are calling themselves "Anime" fans when they don't even like "Anime". Anime is a Japanese product. It's Japanese. Deal with it. If you like the dub of an anime, especially if it's altered to fit your normal sense of aesthetics and humor, that's fine, but realize you're not actually liking the original product, which is Anime. It isn't the same as liking Kung-fu movies. Kung-fu movies has kung-fu, and that's what you're looking for. You don't care what the people are saying.

Um, there's more to kung fu films than fighting. There's a ton of cultural references to Kung Fu Hustle alone. You can't appreciate half the film if you don't have an understanding of the setting.

Quote:
Anime has no set goal like showing the viewer kung-fu.

You obviously have not seen Dragonball or Flame of Recca.

Steve:
Quote:
(Macek, by the way, and I happen to like Robotech even before ADV was formed and even after I found out about it's origins).

Same here. I think Macek respected the vision of the original series better than most companies would have at the time. And let's face it. The Japanese ripped off his idea of Max and Miriya having children when they did Macross 7.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="antonmonter"]
Steventheeunuch wrote:
What people need to realise is that just because you are entitled to an opinion, doesn't mean it's always appropriate or nessecary to voice it, and it most certianly isn't always right.

Ah, yes. Except, you know, for that little thing called Freedom of Speech. If I want to very vocally disagree with you on something as ridiculously trivial as a single inaccurate anime dub, I am well within my rights.

Oh, and Anton? I know perfectly well that unless you're completely dyslexic (which, funny, you didn't mention previously) you called me "Androshit" in a bad mixture of Ancient Greek and Spanish (oh, yes, by the way, Andromeda is a Greek feminine name, from mythology. Which, you know, you'd know if you had bothered to Google it?). Do stop mangling languages, if you're going to complain about ADV supposedly mangling translations (in general, according to you, not just this dub) from one language into another language that you don't speak at all fluently.

I live in Florida. ADV is over somewhere in Texas, last I checked. The only place I work is a picture framing and art restoration place. The closest I've even come to anyone from ADV is meeting Tiffany Grant at a con last year, and mostly we just talked about cool women characters in anime, which I somehow doubt was an attempt at brainwashing or hiring me. Rolling Eyes

Just because I happen to like a lot of their RECENT DVD releases, doesnt' mean I'm working for them.

And yeah, I'm completely "wrong" and an "Androshit" just because I pointed out how stupid a comparision between Enron and ADV is, since ADV has done nothing actually, you know, illegal? Or that it's not a "bad" business idea unless it causes them to lose money (again, I never said it wouldn't be offensive to some, but that doesn't mean that as a business practice, which implies simply a way of doing business, business being simply a means to make money, it's a bad idea; it's only a bad business idea if it makes them lose profits).

Rolling Eyes Riiight. Anton, you seem to imply that I'm less intelligent or mature than you. However, I don't recall calling you a "shit" or implying, say, that you work for Bandai or one of ADV's other competitors simply because you disagree with my opinion. Funny, must have slipped my mind, my doing either of those things.

Quote:
Well, its a tricky subject to tell what opinions are appropriate or necessary to voice, I can tell that yours or Andromeda aren't

I felt it was neccesary to point out where he was being ridiculous. That's my perspective, therefore, sorry, out of your control.

And it was certainly appropriate to the topic, which was about this release, which includes discussion of the dub, the translations, and the concept of the release.

Quote:

; but still I rebate your points

You give cash back? Huh? Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist. I think that may be a typo, could you please clarify what you meant?

Quote:

, not your right to express such derogatory opinions against other fans (like me) that dislike ADV business practices.

There you go. That's a better way of putting it, Steven. Disliking it is one thing. Implying it's bad for their business (which some have) just because you dislike the idea behind it is different, and that's one of the things I was responding to.

I don't recall saying anything much more than basically, a few people are taking way the heck too seriously. True, my words were slightly cruder than that perhaps (I'm PMSing, and had vomited during the day, so I wasn't exactly in what you'd call a "polite" mood), but the meaning is the same: it's not the end of the blood world just because ADV made a goofed up dub of a children's series that few have heard of. Real fans of the original version of this particular show will be watching subs anyway. Anybody who knew the series and was a fan before this had to have been watching it subbed or in raw Japanese anyway to begin with.

Quote:

And well, I don't care if you think I'm less an anime fan than you, because I had more than 10 years enjoying anime, and more than 3 years studying Japanese, so I'm over your qualification.

Er, who are you replying to here? Anton? Just curious, your post wanders a bit, and it's a little late at night for me.

I think it's funny that somebody in this thread suggested that people who care about Japanese culture don't watch dubs. Explain to me then, all the fans Adult Swim brings in who because they saw a few episodes of a show or three dubbed, continously absorb and spout cultural tidbits and Japanese slang. True, they don't KNOW the culture very well yet, but it can't be said that they don't like or care about the original culture JUST because they prefer dubs. Hell, I prefer dubs most of the time unless the dub is poor (read: awkward translations and bad acting, obsessive cuts). That doesn't mean I don't also watch a LOT of anime subtitled or even raw as well, it just means that I like watching something translated to my own language, in audio in my own language. I still prefer certain series, such as CCS or Sailor Moon, subtitled if the translation wasn't accurate or the acting was horrible in the dub. Like I said, if I buy this, I will be checking out BOTH versions, that includes the subbed original series.

Quote:

Of course I care if someone in this forum is an ADV employee, because this is a forum intended to anime fans, and the employees of a companied are trained to defend their business, but not to argument in a debate. Still, I hope ADV employees that infiltrate in this forum, can reply at least to some of the statements made by fans instead of trying to attack them on a personal level ("you don't know anything about Japanese language" "how you dare to write an opinion" and such...).

Like I said, I don't work for ADV. I can't even be said to KNOW anyone from ADV, since I only talked occasionally with Ms. Grant and her husband at a three-day con (because most of the panels I went to ended up being co-hosted by them or they showed up for them), and we hardly shared life stories with each other, let alone talked business. Rolling Eyes So, it's a moot point.

I also find it rather incredible that anybody who defends a company or says they don't particularly care that a series they're not even a FAN of yet got a bad or weird dub, or says that "I like ADV, alongside Bandai and Manga Video, because they have cool extras on some of their DVDs", is automatically assumed to be in ADV's employ. I have to ask anyone who would believe this if they also believe that Elvis was abducted by aliens, the Stargate is real, and Godzilla really does attack Japan on a regular basis? Because those would make just as much sense. Rolling Eyes

I'd also like to add that for the most part, Bandai and ADV are two of the three companies (the other being Geneon) that tend to license most of the series I'm interested in to begin with. So in other words, some of the series in their catalog are things I'm already interested in, and I'm a fan of extras and high episode counts (and they have a tendency to lately have decent episode counts on most of their releases that I've actually bought or recieved as gifts, and that they quickly realized that fans like extras and started including more of them). That's the reason I'm at all keeping an open mind about the release being potentially entertaining to myself.

Quote:

Since some people here want to write in business terms, I think ADV must have to understand that negative posts in this thread are not an attack, but instead is "consummer feedback".

Yes, and so are all the comments that people made that said "hey! This sounds fun!" or "I couldn't care less since I'm not a fan of it, so I wouldn't buy it one way or another", or anything else. Rolling Eyes

I wrote in "business terms" because somebody else brought up capitilism. One of the interesting aspects of American capitilism, I'd like to add, is that when things stir up controversay, they tend to sell better. Wink So, the more people B**** about it, the more they're bringing people's attention to it. If you really hate it so much, just say "I don't like the idea" and leave, allowing the topic to die a lot sooner. Funny how no one seems to realize this. Laughing

Quote:

Still, looks like ADV needs to hire more people to post, because (at least in this thread) for every person defending them, there are like 3 that opposite. Perhaps, we all live in AntonmonterLand?

Perhaps we also need to realize that not everyone who doesn't take this show seriously enough to care that ADV's screwed around in the dub version is neccessarily an ADV employee, as well. Rolling Eyes Of course, I can't vouch for any other posters, mind, but still. Not everyone will obsess over the quality of release for EVERY series.

Quote:
I mean, Jesus Christ, isn't the DVD coming with the original dialogue?

Suck it up

Exactly. Look, don't get me wrong, I like accurate, well-acted dubs, but if one dub isn't that, it's NOT the end of the world. so long as a sub is available, on the same disc no less, I don't have a problem with it. If the dub is not entertaining, I won't watch it all. Either way, I'd be watching the subbed version AND the dubbed version just to see what both were like so that I could make an actual informed decision about whether the idea was as stupid as some claim it is without having seen the dub or in some cases, either version of the series.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
Any more conversation not related to this show, or topics surounding it will be deleted / edited and could result in bans.

Any more insult hurling will result in bans, regardless of who started it.

If you posted any of the above after this message, but before seing it, I strongly suggest you edit your post before I see it.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
What happened to the original thread?

The two threads were merged, no need for two threads on the same topic. All posts from "the priginal thread" were moved to this thread.

-t
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
I love a good comedy. That fact alone was reason enough for me to want this show. Thanks to all the debate and controversy,it just whets my appetite even more. I'll be watching for it Smile
larmesdesucre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Smack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading ANN for years now, since before George and Chris took it over in 2000.

Although I've not always agreed with what's been done with this site, and how commercial it has become, I've continued to respect the unbiased and fair reporting. And up until now I've never questioned my belief that, while I think they should have remained non-profit, they made the site profit oriented because they thought it was what they needed to do in order to make the site better. If I recall correctly, Mr Mcdonald is a network engineer of some sort, and I doubt he's making as much money working on ANN as he was working on networks.

But this whole thing with Ghost Stories make me suspect that ANN's objectivity might be for sale to the highest bidder. Just how much money does a company have to spend for advertising in order to get a good review?

This is my first post here, despite years of following the site, and I'm saddenned that its on such an unsavoury topic.

Hopefully my belief in the site can be redeemed.

-Smack
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Smack wrote:
But this whole thing with Ghost Stories make me suspect that ANN's objectivity might be for sale to the highest bidder. Just how much money does a company have to spend for advertising in order to get a good review?

Actually, ADV Films has never advertised with ANN. In 5 years of business, we've received about $40 from ADV for referal fees.

Conversely, Geneon and Funimation are our two largest sponsors, yet if you go through our review stack you'll find no shortage of negative reviews of their products.

If you look at any one major distributor and all their reviews on ANN, you'll probably find that the average grade is probably around a C. Regardless of whether that company advertises on ANN or not.

Unlike some publications, we don't allow advertising dollars to dictate what we cover or how we cover it.

Quote:
Hopefully my belief in the site can be redeemed.

Hopefully I've managed to do that.

-t
antonmonter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
Agree with larmesdesucre & Smack.

I’m not always coincide with all of John’s columns, and some time I ever felt disappointed when he wrote his famous “top anime titles” of the year the last year; but I consider his latest article to be the best conclusion to this debate. It explains with accuracy how some anime fans feel and also exposes solid argumentation (anyone trying to reply to that article is wasting its time).

John wrote:

What's John's Opinion of the Ghost Stories Dub?
August 26th, 2005

Question:

I just recently read the news post about ADV's plans for Gakkou no Kaiden. I'm wondering... what the heck are they thinking? I thought that ADV was getting better about doing such things to their titles, but now not it appears that not only are they changing it, but bosting about the changes. Do you have any idea why they would do this? And what was the original story suppose to be like?
Answer:

As an "old school" American anime fan, my personal hope has always been to see American viewers embrace, understand, and respect Japanese animation. I think that was the collective hope of early generations of American anime fans. In recent years, though, the trend in America has been toward not accepting or recognizing the unique cultural and artistic characteristics of anime, but instead altering Japanese anime to make it more palatable for mainstream American viewers. Drastic alterations have been made to titles including One Piece, Initial D, Ojamajo Doremi, and Tokyo Mew Mew in recent years. These changes have been imposed in order to make these shows suitable for American television broadcast. Regrettably we've also seen AD Vision inflict drastic alterations upon Sorcerous Stabber Orphen and now Gakkou no Kaiden seemingly for arbitrary reasons. The corruption of Orphen and Initial D caused outrage within the American fan community, but perhaps as a sad sign of the times, the bastardization of Gakkou no Kaiden, to be known as "Ghost Stories," in America, has been met largely with approval from the American fan community. I'm aware that my own opinion contradicts the seeming majority opinion in America's fan community. I don't express dissent in order to be controversial or petulant; I honestly and wholeheartedly believe in respecting the dignity of Japanese animation and feel disappointed and appalled by seemingly inconsiderate American localizations.

The 20 episode Gakkou no Kaiden anime television series from 2000 is part of a major Japanese franchise which includes at least 19 novels, a live action television series, and numerous television and theatrical live action movies all dealing with children trapped in a haunted schoolhouse. I've personally seen several episodes of the anime series and one of the live action theatrical movies. I was surprised to find the Gakkou no Kaiden anime TV series dark, macabre, and quite intense considering that it's a show aimed at pre-adolescent and young teen viewers. The original Japanese program has an atmosphere of dread and contains a palpable threat of harm or even death. Considering that it is a children's anime series, it's not as morose as a show like Berserk or Devilman Lady, but the Gakkou no Kaiden anime is far removed from comedy. Although Anime News Network has called the show, "The epitome of a bottom-shelf, bargain bin title," the show is quite respected among Japanese fans. In Studio Pierrot's 25th anniversary poll, Japanese fans voted Gakkou no Kaiden their 7th favorite Studio Pierrot production, ranking it higher than GTO, Naruto, Urusei Yatsura, Fushigi Yuugi, and Flame of Recca.

At the 2005 Otakon convention, AD Vision proudly revealed that its English language dub of "Ghost Stories" is almost totally improvised by its American voice actors. ICv2 News calls the English dub, "Totally Americanized... raunchier and hipper than the original." Anime News Network praises, "Thank god for ADV Films... they’ve done something very wise: completely screwed with the dub script and turned what was once a painfully uninteresting kids’ series into an absolutely hilarious show for adults." Anime on DVD calls the English improv dub, "Well worth watching." In the interest of even handed reporting, I'll admit that I have not sampled the English dub. I have no interest whatsoever in watching this dub and regretfully expect to refrain from buying the American release of this series. I've read online forum comments from fans expressing tolerance because the domestic DVDs will include an unmolested Japanese language track with subtitles. I don't expect or insist that anyone else share my stance, but the inclusion of a proper Japanese language version on the DVD isn't good enough for me. I'm personally offended by the principle of totally altering not just the script, but the entire tone of an anime series. While I'm a fan of both Orphen and Initial D, I refused to purchase their official domestic DVD releases. Likewise, my singular boycott of the American "Ghost Stories" will be my individual way of expressing my opinion that Japanese licensors and American distributors only deserve my support when they release unmolested, authentic Japanese animation. I don't want my money to encourage, as ICv2 says, "A new art form, with anime visuals and new scripts." I like anime because it's unique, intelligent and different from what I'm used to. If I want to watch an animated series filled with American pop culture references and crude American humor, I'll watch South Park or Family Guy.

The presumption within the fan community is that AD Vision's re-write is intended to make Gakkou no Kaiden more marketable in America. That rationale, while likely true, is startling and disappointing in light of the countless times I've heard American anime fans complain that current anime lacks variety or originality. Anime News Network goes as far as to say, "The whole 'plucky kids solve ghost-related mysteries' story has been done to death." However, I can't think of any other currently available anime series in America that deals with children facing-off against ghosts. The Haunted Junction series loosely dealt with a similar concept, but Haunted Junction was overtly a comedy. It's also now out of print in America. In fact, the only anime series that I can think of which has a horror theme for children similar to Gakkou no Kaiden is the 1996 Hell Teacher Nube television series, which has never been officially released in America. American anime fans often complain about excessive fan service, harem anime, and the visual "look" of contemporary digital anime and CG, yet when a show comes along that rejects all of these clichés, it's anticipated to be so unpopular among American consumers that its American distributor has to totally "Americanize" it to draw attention to it and make it palatable to average American consumers.

As I've stated before, I'm a fan of authentic Japanese animation; not anime that's been run through the blender of American perception and convention. The argument that alterations to American release anime are made with the consent of Japanese licensors means little because most of the time the actual artists that create anime have no influence over the way anime is released in America. It's Japanese home video distribution companies, not artists, that consent to American alterations of anime. Furthermore, in most cases, American consumers will never know if original Japanese creators are actually aware of the changes made to anime in America, or if they've simply agreed to give free reign to American distributors who are more familiar with the American market. I'm not presumptuous enough to believe that I speak on behalf of all, or even the majority of American anime fans. I won't dictate what American anime fans should or shouldn't like or prefer to watch, but I personally refuse to accept or support American localizations of anime that blatantly disregard and undermine the work and creative effort Japanese artists have put into creating anime.
larmesdesucre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
I think a good question to ask ADV would be why they acquired the license for Ghost Stories in the first place if they thought the dialogue wasn't good enough for them to sell the show. Can you even imagine what you would feel like if you were a writer or director of a non-comedic show and discovered that a licensing company made a comedic parody as the only dub for its release in another country? It's disgusting and offensive and it sets a horrible precedent. The "well if they don't make money they can't release more anime here" logic doesn't work if you offend the Japanese creators so much by bastardizing their creations that they'll never want to license anything to you again. "Warriors Of The Wind" anyone? It's 2005, American anime licensors were supposed to have evolved past this BS by now. What ADV's done to this series is a dangerous reminder of the time when it was deemed acceptable to completely butcher Nausicaa because being commercial was more important than the art and respecting the artist.

I'm meandering a little but this really makes me think of Mamoru Oshii's "Tenshi No Tamago" (Angel's Egg), a hauntingly beautiful film that despite its merit and Oshii's and Yoshitaka Amano's names on it remains unreleased in America, with the common reason given that "it wouldn't sell" because it's "too slow" or "too artsy". I think if companies like ADV would look outside of their own little universe for just a minute, they'd notice another section in the video store called "foreign and independent film", where they'd find films infinitely more obscure and with less potential for mainstream success than anime like Tenshi No Tamago and Ghost Stories, and apparently those companies are making enough money off them for them to release them. Maybe if companies like ADV stuck their head out of the crowd of teenagers repeatedly demanding for violent anime with busty girls and tried marketing to a different crowd, they'd notice there's people like John at AnimeNation and myself who like anime for more than animated blood and breasts. Now I fear that if ADV ever felt like picking up Tenshi No Tamago they'd stick themselves in seats at the bottom of the screen MST3K style and crack jokes at the whole damn thing, and then pat themselves on the back for being so clever enough to come up with it. Being able to make up funny alternative dialogue in a movie doesn't make you a creator of "a new art form", it makes you that 16-year-old ass in the theatre everyone wants to shut the hell up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7