• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crazy, stupid, love (the emotions, not the movie).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
This is where we complain about romantic developments/resolutions/lack of resolutions that we really dislike.

---------------

Me? I really hatespoiler[Ichika x Houki] from Infinite Stratos. This anime has the dishonor of being spoiler[one of the few that managed to overcome my natural preference for the childhood friend couple.

There is a complete lack of any chemistry between the two, whether it be in the everyday interaction or in IS battles. Houki is, like a lot of childhood friends, reluctant to admit her feelings, and she takes it out on Ichika when those feelings embarrass herself. This would be fine, if they work well together, but they don't.]

Why isn't it spoiler[Ichika x Charles?]

---------------

Speaking of childhood friends, they need to be more competitive with the mysterious and withdrawn stranger who suddenly appeared in the protagonist's life in general. By competitive, I mean not coming off as the obvious loser of the love triangle.

This is more or less the reverse of my complaint with Infinite Stratos. In Ceres, spoiler[Yuuhi was much better for Aya than Touya, but he gets shoved off to the side pretty quickly in favor of the dark and handsome stranger. And then his new love interest gets killed off--the kind of development that finally allowed him to end up with Aya that still leaves a bitter aftertaste.]

It's almost as if the likelihood of the protagonist ending with his childhood friend is inversely proportional to how well they've gotten along all this time. In Sword Art Online, spoiler[Suguha worked with Kirito much better as equal partners, but naturally, he ends up with the damsel in distress who was at best beating up fodder tier minions.]

/rage

[EDIT: Changed your thread title 'cause the previous one was reported as too ambiguous. -TK]

Last edited by Raftina on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
The one that quickly comes to mind is Love, Elections, and Chocolate, where the main dude decides to spoiler[go for childhood friend]. This might be fine in some cases, but here we find out that spoiler[her sense of attachment was actually a replacement for her dead brother, and he had been unhealthily going along with it]. There really was no proof that spoiler[her feelings for him were for him personally, and she really had some things she needed sorted out without messing other feelings into it]. And I thought the chemistry was pretty bad too, just not interesting together.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
That setup reminds me of Imadoki, though in there, the character who spoiler[confused her feelings for the brothers] is a villain. A closer example is Touch, which is definitely illustrative of the "fine" cases: spoiler[It was not particularly clear whether Minami liked either Tatsuya or Kazuya romantically, and the relationship between Tatsuya and Minami was quite close, even without assuming that he is substituting for Kazuya.]

Plus not being a spoiler[twin-tailed tsundere] like the one in Love, Elections, and Chocolate helps. >.>
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
This is where we complain about romantic developments/resolutions/lack of resolutions that we really dislike.

---------------

Me? I really hatespoiler[Ichika x Houki] from Infinite Stratos. This anime has the dishonor of being spoiler[one of the few that managed to overcome my natural preference for the childhood friend couple.

There is a complete lack of any chemistry between the two, whether it be in the everyday interaction or in IS battles. Houki is, like a lot of childhood friends, reluctant to admit her feelings, and she takes it out on Ichika when those feelings embarrass herself. This would be fine, if they work well together, but they don't.]

Why isn't it spoiler[Ichika x Charles?]

I couldn't agree more! I definitely think that spoiler[Ichika x Charles?] would be the perfect couple in IS.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the guy deserves anybody. they could all do much better
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The one that quickly comes to mind is Love, Elections, and Chocolate, where the main dude decides to spoiler[go for childhood friend]. This might be fine in some cases, but here we find out that spoiler[her sense of attachment was actually a replacement for her dead brother, and he had been unhealthily going along with it]. There really was no proof that spoiler[her feelings for him were for him personally, and she really had some things she needed sorted out without messing other feelings into it]. And I thought the chemistry was pretty bad too, just not interesting together.

This coupling enraged me a lot because I didn't like spoiler[Chisato] at all. I found the reasons to be quite bullshit, too. I found the chemistry between spoiler[the main character and the female student council president/candidate] to be much more interesting and I thought it would go that route. Unfortunately, it didn't. Heck, I thought all the other love interests were much better than spoiler[Chisato.]

I'm with getchman on the Infinite Stratos pairings. I do love watching Tatenashi, Laura, and Charlotte's interactions with Ichika though. I don't really like Houki or Cecilia, though, and Rin is just unnoticeable to me.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
That setup reminds me of Imadoki, though in there, the character who spoiler[confused her feelings for the brothers] is a villain.

I wouldn't really call Erika a villain. Antagonist, maybe, but there isn't really any villains in Imadoki, which is actually sort of the point, IMO.

Plus, Tanpopo does almost the same thing.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I also am rooting for spoiler[Charles x Ichika] in IS Infinite Stratos but mostly because I have a biased towards characters voiced by Kana Hanazawa. I wouldn't say I was rooting for Suguha, but I definitely liked her more than Asuna. Suguha got so much hate Sad. As for Love, Elections, and Chocolate, I actually was happy with the end result. I don't know why I liked her the most.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

That's kinda the thing: they can't. In their society men are all considered worthless because they can't use IS. Since Ichika is the only male who can use an IS, he is therefore the greatest man in the world.

I hopped off the Charlotte bandwagon a long time ago. It's all about Cecilia! Why the bloody hell she's the only girl to have her backstory cut from the anime I have no damn idea.

In regards to SAO, I agree with what Raftina said, though Lizbeth's episode struck me pretty hard.

My dislike of Toradora's ending is well documented. By that token, most shows with a Rie tsundere lead doesn't end well for me in this regard.

I hated that all the girls fell for Touga in Gravion. He's dumb and bland and not the main character! It should have been Eiji, damn it!

A Bridge to the Starry Skies pretty much embodies what I dislike about a lot of these resolutions. spoiler[Ui did practically nothing to win over Kazuma. They don't even have that much meaningful interaction either. She was so hung up on her brother and he spent more time with Madoka and Ibuki. Yet he picks her in the end, why? Because she's the main heroine! The world can't function if the main heroine doesn't hook up with the main guy!]

I know this is sacred cow territory, but I didn't like how Kannazuki no Miko ended. spoiler[For most of the show Himeko was getting closer to Souma, and they even kiss and everything. Yet she goes with Chikane at the end because they were lovers in their past lives. Arg, I really hate that! Past lives should have nothing to do with present ones! If Himeko had been developing romantic feelings for the present Chikane, I certainly didn't see it.]

I know I had more, but it's late...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
getchman wrote:

That's kinda the thing: they can't. In their society men are all considered worthless because they can't use IS. Since Ichika is the only male who can use an IS, he is therefore the greatest man in the world.

don't have to be an IS pilot to be a better person
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Ichika is a decent enough person. He's just an idiot.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

It's almost as if the likelihood of the protagonist ending with his childhood friend is inversely proportional to how well they've gotten along all this time. In Sword Art Online, spoiler[Suguha worked with Kirito much better as equal partners, but naturally, he ends up with the damsel in distress who was at best beating up fodder tier minions.]/rage

Yeah, no.
Asuna was only like that in AOL. She was his equal partner in the first half of SAO. You seriously expected them to throw away thirteen episodes of her romance with Kirito in favor of his stupid cousin's stupid one-sided crush?

Vaiaga wrote:

I know this is sacred cow territory, but I didn't like how Kannazuki no Miko ended. spoiler[For most of the show Himeko was getting closer to Souma, and they even kiss and everything. Yet she goes with Chikane at the end because they were lovers in their past lives. Arg, I really hate that! Past lives should have nothing to do with present ones! If Himeko had been developing romantic feelings for the present Chikane, I certainly didn't see it.]

.........*tears*

I....

*beside herself*

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO THOUGHT THIS. Anime cry

SACRED COW MY ASS. BURN IT. BURN IT TO THE GROUND!! AND SPIT ON IT!! ChikanexHimeko is the absolute worst bullshit couple ever and the writing and execution was the most bullshit storyline ever.
I HATE that pairing!! I HATE it with the burning passion of a THOUSAND SUNS.
"Oh, there is this really wonderful guy who treats me like a princess. He's charming, handsome, intelligent, and very considerate of my feelings...and what...spoiler[AH NO!! MY BEST FRIEND IS RAPING ME!? WHY!? OH...IT'S BECAUSE SHE LOVES ME. I SUDDENLY LOVE HER TOO. HORRAY FOR SEXUAL ABUSE=TRUE WUV" TROPE!]
All it is lust-driven smut to appease the yuri fans and it's insulting to EVERYONE else. It's insulting to women and insulting to men and ESPECIALLY insulting to anyone who values a pure, unstained type of romance between characters who...you know, DIDN'T try to spoiler[rape or kill each other....a]ljflsdjf;kjfd;dijfl;j
*all of my rage*

.........sorry, sorry....I got really carried away there. Anime hyper But yeah...thinking about that disgusting excuse for a pairing...just....makes me want to....scream and break things...or something. It makes my blood boil.

SoumaxHimeko FOR LIFE. Very Happy (they're number #3 on my top 11 best couples list, actually^^)

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't be that harsh on it. While not excusable, Chikane did spoiler[have a reason to assault Himeko other than just being horny or w/e. Chikane had to do something to get Himeko to hate and kill her, because Chikane knew one of them had to die.]

If you want absolutely horrid, look at spoiler[Shizuru/Natsuki] from My HiME. Now that was a case of full on molestation that gets stupidly handwaved.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, I wouldn't be that harsh on it. While not excusable, Chikane did spoiler[have a reason to assault Himeko other than just being horny or w/e. Chikane had to do something to get Himeko to hate and kill her, because Chikane knew one of them had to die.]

But that's the other thing!! It's because Chikane's so f***ing stupid and obviously doesn't know Himeko at all that she arrived at this inane conclusion. spoiler["OH, I'LL RAPE HER."] The most important thing to Himeko is not herself but her loved ones...but noooo Chikane was too much of an idiot to figure that one out until the last ten minutes of the final episode! It wasn't until she spoiler[started attacking the others that Himeko let loose her rage and shoved that sword into her.]

Besides that, if you can actually do something that horrible spoiler[I mean the rape of course] to someone you're supposed to "love"....you are an insane psychopath and should not even be in a relationship. with. anyone. Oh but Chikane can because Chikane's so perfect and everything she does is sacred and of course she has a sound mind! Gawd, I hate her. I hate her and I hate all the yuri fangirls who worship the ground she steps on. They think she's the greatest character in the world...and the fact that they can't see how messed up she is is really disturbing to me. >_>

And I've avoided Mai Hime because, yeah, I heard about that little incident all right!

The sad thing is, from my experience with the majority yaoi/yuri fans, they don't care if their pwecious OTP partners treat each other like crap-just so as long as they get their SHIP because "IT'S SO HOT".
.........makes me freaking sick.....

[Edit]
Actually, I'm wrong. The straight fans who ship crap like the main couple of Kyou Kara Koi Hajimemasu are just as bad. I read six chapters of that manga and probably would've thrown the book at the wall, had it actually been in my hands. Domestic male-on-female abuse at its very finest.

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I wouldn't really call Erika a villain. Antagonist, maybe, but there isn't really any villains in Imadoki, which is actually sort of the point, IMO.

Plus, Tanpopo does almost the same thing.

I thought the Tanpopo and Erika rivalry was sufficiently black and white that it's appropriate to call Erika the villain--not in the sense of evil, perhaps, but definitely on the wrong side.

As for Tanpopo, the relationship came across as more of her accepting a nice guy who had some resemblance to the other--not nearly the spoiler[backup Kugyo] relationship that Erika had. I suppose not being confined to the house because of mental trauma helps the perception of a reasonably healthy relationship rather than dependency.

Chiibi wrote:
Asuna was only like that in AOL. She was his equal partner in the first half of SAO. You seriously expected them to throw away thirteen episodes of her romance with Kirito in favor of his stupid cousin's stupid one-sided crush?

Asuna was at no point Kirito's equal partner. To use an analogy, Asuna was the lady of the mansion who can, at the best, fend of a small group of trespassers with her nagitana while her lord Kirito goes to war to vanquish real enemies. Suguha, however, was an adventuring partner and Kirito's equal.

Asuna had half a season for her romance with Kirito. What of it? Suguha had comparable development.

---------------

As for Himeko x Chikane, I'm not a fan of the stalking, obsessive, one sided lesbian crush because of a series of fated past tragedies either. The obsessive one comes off as an unhealthy leech, preventing the object of her affection from attaining happiness both by physically obstructing her as well as preying upon her gentleness to draw her attention to the obsessive one. I hold very much the same opinion of spoiler[Madoka x Homura] from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5