• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
My Switch playlist:

Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Never played any 3D Mario games before. Got the physical Australian release from DataBlitz. So far I'm liking SM Sunshine better than SM 64; haven't tried SM Galaxy yet.

Bayonetta 2: Simply one of the best hack 'n' slash games ever. Less frustrating than the original, which is always a bonus. Liked it so much I bought another copy (with the B1 download code) to give as a gift.

Collection of Mana: Never played the first or third Mana games, and playing the Android port of the second is pretty frustrating with touchscreen controls.

Capcom Belt Action Collection: Never got to play the arcade version of Final Fight too much, and never played any of the other games included here before.

----

Shadow Complex (Xbox 360): After a long hump, I finally got the Omega Armor! Might stop looking at walkthroughs for this game.
Chocobos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
SLay the spire
Nice game, but very short - it's better to buy a cd key than steam.

Total War - Three kingdomsc. In my opinion, this is the worst version of Total War. Battles cannot be waged on the water, they are resolved automatically
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
Since it's the holidays, there are more games for me to play! Very Happy

Right now, I just started Chrono Trigger. I haven't played it ever, despite the fact that I played Chrono Cross. I want to seriously understand why people say Trigger is better than Cross... so wish me luck guys on this! Very Happy

Also, I'm replaying Final Fantasy IX and just landed on Lindblum! Ugh, this has become my Sunday Chill game and I'm just savoring this experience. I just finished Unpacking, finally passed Elysium with Hades, and now finally going to start playing Stardew Valley and ICARUS this weekend! Very Happy

Super excited!
DaMightyBenStein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:06 am Reply with quote
Playing Halo Infinite and I can say that it was worth the wait. I can easily see this game taking up the biggest portion of my gaming time in 2022.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 am Reply with quote
I'd like to preface this post with the fact that I live in Mainland China, which is rather annoying if you're a gamer and aren't fluent in reading Chinese.

I've got no language barrier with PS4 because foreign servers aren't blocked and a Chinese PS4 is fully compliant with all language settings. My PS4 game of choice is Neverwinter.

Mobile gaming on the other hand is an entirely different matter especially if you have a Huawei device like me. Fortunately I've discovered the Taptap International version. Outside of that getting English versions of games is extremely difficult. Local APP markets simply don't have them and most Chinese Android device brands effectively block all Google Play content.

So I started playing this strategy / TD game called 幻灵师 Huan Lingshi / The Phantom that I really enjoyed but for some reason they locked the game down.

So I decided to check if I could get 明日方舟 aka Arknights in English - lo-an-behold Taptap has it. So that's what I'm enjoying now.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:39 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I'd like to preface this post with the fact that I live in Mainland China, which is rather annoying if you're a gamer and aren't fluent in reading Chinese.

I've got no language barrier with PS4 because foreign servers aren't blocked and a Chinese PS4 is fully compliant with all language settings. My PS4 game of choice is Neverwinter.

Mobile gaming on the other hand is an entirely different matter especially if you have a Huawei device like me. Fortunately I've discovered the Taptap International version. Outside of that getting English versions of games is extremely difficult. Local APP markets simply don't have them and most Chinese Android device brands effectively block all Google Play content.

Doesn't mainland China block all Google services? Haven't been to China since 2009. IIRC my brother used a VPN on his smartphone when he visited more recently (before the pandemic).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:44 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Doesn't mainland China block all Google services? Haven't been to China since 2009. IIRC my brother used a VPN on his smartphone when he visited more recently (before the pandemic).
Yah, its all blocked. You need VPN, but that's not the entire reason one can't use Google Play from a Chinese device. I don't have the specific technical knowledge to explain it however.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Genshin Impact

Why: All my friends are. This game is so huge lol. But I'm not playing out of peer pressure. I mean, it may have started that way...but I genuinely enjoy the game...until there's a quest I cannot do, that is. Twisted Evil But it's an open world game and you can play for hours and hours if you want.

I'd expect most anime fans to like this game. Not only do the characters have great designs (both male and female), the game is free and you can hear your favorite Japanese seiyuu too.

Look at this list!

Lumine: Aoi Yuuki (Komachi Hikigaya, Tanya)
Xiao: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito, Inosuke)
Amber: Manaka Iwami (Tohru Honda)
Lisa: Rie Tanaka (Chi)
Diluc: Kensho Ono (Mikaela, Giorno Giovanna)
Fischl: Maaya Uchida (Rikka Takanashi)
Gorou: Tasuku Hatanaka (Denki Kaminari)
Hu Tao: Rie Takahashi (Megumin)
Jean: Chiwa Saito (Homura Akemi)
Thoma: Masakazu Morita (Ichigo Kurosaki)
Qiqi: Yukari Tamura (Nanoha Takamichi)
Itto: T.M.-Freaking-Revolution (you better know his songs lol)

They got the BEST people, guys...for real!!
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm playing Trails in the Sky SC. I already beat the first game which was pretty much just a setup for the 2nd game. I'd been wanting to get into Trails in the Sky ever since I got into Cold Steel but the lack of voice acting was just too much for me to overcome. I can play games without voice acting like Banner Saga is one of my favourite game series of all time. But the Trails games have heavily character focused stories with very typical anime characters. Like Olivier is a huge goofball and his character wouldn't be even half as effective without Takehito Koyasu's voice acting. Estelle's bright personality wouldn't be able to shine as brightly without voice acting. The emotional moments wouldn't hit as hard without voices.

But then I learned that it's possible to mod voice acting into the game. The game has a remake with some updated stuff including the addition of voice acting but that remake was never released in the west. With a mod it's possible to take the voice files from the remake and mod them into the original release. It works perfectly too. With the voice acting I'm finally able to play these games and played them I have. Once I beat the first game I immediately jumped into the 2nd game and I already bought the 3rd game as well so it's likely that I'm gonna play through the whole Sky trilogy back-to-back-to-back in one fell swoop.

The story is great. It has incredible worldbuilding and a cast of likeable characters. It's emotional moments are very moving. In a way it's filled with anime tropes but the large cast of distinct personalities allows its world to come to life in a way that is kinda unique to the Trails series. The writing isn't groundbreaking but it's somehow so sincere that it manages to win you over. I'm sure I've seen almost identical characters in anime before but no anime has had me spend so much time seeing such personalities bounce off of each other. Olivier may be that goofy comedic relief anime dude who hides his real agenda behind silly antics but I love that dude more than any other of his type.

Cold Steel was my first Trails game so it will stay closer to my heart than Sky but I'm loving my adventures with Estelle's crew just as much as I loved Rean's crew.
Chocobos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:56 am Reply with quote
I play Path of Exile - the new league is great, they finally added some interesting mechanics. This is probably the best league in 4 seasons.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Here's something that I'm surprised that I'd get instantly hooked: Vampire Survivors

By just the look of it, it definitely looked like its a kind of game that I will never play. I've always been a JRPG and RPG gamer. I also do casual and puzzle games too... but Vampire Survivors? Nothing like it. My good friend recommended it to me... of course, I was like, "eh... sure."

But he also knows I stream games... so he gifted it to me, and put it on my recommended games too. Laughing Smart person really! So I played it, and I'm telling you guys... CHANGE OF HEART!

Vampire Survivors is a kind of game that anyone can get easily into. Its objective is only to survive for 30 minutes, but the amount of monsters that you're gonna see... man. It seems impossible! It's similar to Dead Cells and Hades: the abilities and weapons are random. There are upgrades available too. Unlike the said games, there are various characters that the player can try and play. The game is available on Steam and is pretty cheap! The whoa part of this game is the part that it's still on beta. Shocked
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Lately, PUBG.

Wonder if PC users of PUBG, will get to purchase the Eva plugsuit clothing that the mobile users are going to get.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
I just had to share...

Sea of Stars just came out and I'm wondering who has heard of it here? But I'm playing that one now... together with Rhapsody: Marl Kingdom Chronicles! Came out the same day as Sea of Stars, so it looks like I'll be busy for the whole weekend. Laughing
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I saw that thing come out, but I have no nostalgia for the 16-bit aesthetics and generally dislike the sort of turn-based battle systems where you can't move your characters. I like turn-based systems, but not in the style of like Chrono Trigger, Persona or Chained Echoes (another recent throwback to 16-bit era (J)RPGs). I played through Chained Echoes in fact and that combat is just not interesting to me (and the story was just kinda lame). And I like Persona 5, but I dislike the combat.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
SenpaiDuckie wrote:
Sea of Stars just came out and I'm wondering who has heard of it here?

I'm at work, and my friend literally just mentioned it, now, and we looked up some YouTube footage. It looks amazing. Chrono Trigger is my all-time favorite RPG, so I love the aesthetic of SoS. I'm gonna' wait a bit to see more reviews, but because of its style, I think I might be leaning towards the Switch version of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17