• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade & Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Geez, this show just gets better and better. It's too bad about the wardrobe designs because it no doubt scared off some peeps who aren't into fan service. They're missing a good show.

Anyway, I'm very happy that it wasn't the spoiler[girl who died. I was kind of expecting that the show was going to go there - with maybe the boy accidentally killing her with the sword or her being killed as the result of something he did using the sword. I'm glad the show indicated that she wouldn't be on her own.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
ep.4

spoiler[arka is alive give bit blind oh 3 days has past since varrel attack while been on watch bunch of kids.

roana & her 2 remain gang members fat & skinny are ok give due rescue karen's people yet when hazuki arrive give going want bounty see roana go charge in til karen call in no fighting.

so roana & hazuki had talk give that varrel & arka have impurity power yet way they are even compare them to the walking dead.

arka give have past memories of her master saying yet while blind brother child was using arka's blade to get some goods til arka catch blade while blind ask what is the sword important to you?

then next night brother child did another steal but oops it's blue flowers cue him got "whacked" by soldiers til arka slay them.

then give brother child a burial with arka on wander road & sister child get a job working with karen. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

That felt like an emotional ending, the spoiler[sister losing her brother, but he was really just trying to get by, although it looked really brutish]. I am not entirely happy with that it then had spoiler[her going to get a job, as in if it could have always been that easy], perhaps if they revealed something about their backstory there could have been a reason.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
probably something simple like her bother was just too proud to go begging for a job, so she followed his decision spoiler[to steal stuff]
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4-

That was actually pretty good. Bonus points for not having the spoiler[bro kill his sis by accident and bonus points for not having Alka take the sister with her]. That's 2 events I would've thought felt out of place which they managed to do right.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I am not entirely happy with that it then had spoiler[her going to get a job, as in if it could have always been that easy], perhaps if they revealed something about their backstory there could have been a reason.
I took it that the hostess only hired her because she didn't looked determined, not desperate. she wanted a straight life.

Of course all emotion from that scene was stolen when one of my co-viewers said in a southern belle voice "You can do chores but the second you're legal I'm having you work the pleasure house."

I gather that this desperate setting of mass banditry and peasants living it rough is a fairly common thing in Korean fantasy. Well, much like the ancient history of any culture. But I've been taking in more manhwa and games lately and it seems to be a bit more common there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Of course all emotion from that scene was stolen when one of my co-viewers said in a southern belle voice "You can do chores but the second you're legal I'm having you work the pleasure house."

Laughing This being anime, I'm not so sure the "the second you're legal" bit will actually be waited for...
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I let him live blissfully unaware of that side of anime for the time being. I'm sure he'll learn soon enough.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Really I find it hard to get what the storytelling is trying to accomplish in this show. AIka pretty much just goes and does what whoever saves/pays her and people die. That's it. Even now she's really done nothing besides state the obvious and kill people. She's just so.............boring. There really isn't anything about her that makes me care if she died or lived. Everyone else around her has to literally drive things forward because she barely does anything interesting half the time. I get that she is trained to be this way but PLEASE give her some development sometime soon........I even find the annoying gun lady to be more worth my time honestly.

I just don't see the appeal behind this kind of character. If she wasn't so good at killing people she'd be completely worthless Confused

Animation was pretty bad in this episode too. Though I have to say listening Matsuoka's crackling screaming voice made it much more worth while Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
' If she wasn't so good at killing people she'd be completely worthless.'

I think that's one of the points that the story is trying to make. She has devoted her life to the sword, and as the previous episode shows, she was taught to wield the sword for others, not herself. Even her current mission of vengence is *not* for herself, but in obedience to the Code.

However, notice that she did not obey psycho-boy's command to "kill everyone" in this episode, which prompted him to fire her. So obviously there are limits to what she will do when hired.

Also, we're getting a better idea of the scope of the Proprietress' operations: she owned that village, so she grows those flowers, and that might not be the only village she owns. She seems to have her fingers in a lot of pies, which I find interesting, as she's obviously not a heartless woman.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 5.

If Alka wants revenge on someone all she has to do is get them to hire her for a coin. They will be guaranteed to be dead within the episode.

Other takeaway from this episode: Drugs are bad. The War on Drugs is worse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 am Reply with quote
This show is impressing the hell out of me. Episode 5 did what anime rarely does: pits people who are neither entirely good nor entirely bad against each other and gives them opposing agendas that both have merit and demerit to them. That's pretty sophisticated story telling.

The climax was predictable, but still poignant, I felt.

I understand how some people would be frustrated with Alka's stoic, uncommunicative character, but we are getting some development with her. The fact she actually spoiler[asked Psycho Hero of Justice a question and then later refused to obey his order is evidence.] For myself, I appreciate this slow development. For her character, it is much more credible than some abrupt turnaround.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
ep.5

spoiler[arka is hired some guy who protest & trying rid blue flowers due to it's evil yet give nervous girl bit worry give wonder what is right thing to do in her life?

give village chief call in karen give she check the dead bodies yet keep in watch while hazuki scope trying get arka again.

protest guy going get nervous girl do right thing give go like burn blue flowers yet nervous girl ask some talk with arka give for reasons to do.

so protest trying burn flowers til karen stop the flame give go kill everyone til nervous girl stop him give go like everyone is a LIE so try killed village chief but nervous girl took the dagger stab.

yet protest guy go like blame everyone yet karen give shut up stab & done with place while all that done hazuki let arka go free for now til next time.

(yet next ep said going be focus on varrel) ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

That was one of the most greyest morality episodes I have seen, and I am pretty sure I mean that in a good way. We have the main character working for a man who is spoiler[trying to stop a village that is pretty much making drugs], it seems pretty clear where that would lead. Especially since the guy looks like a reasonably good guy, and the one they are up against looks pretty greedy, with a kind young thing as his mistress. spoiler[But then it kind of messes with things that the woman we could consider the most moral character of the show is revealed to be the owner of the drug farm].

By the end we get the message of right spoiler[and wrong can differ between people, the town had been helped by its activities, the town owner was not necessarily selfish if a bit cowardly, and the one who hired her was a radical]. This can look bad at people that feel betrayed about the story, or feel that the heroine just does nothing. And I think that might just be the point, not everything is cut and dry spoiler[wrong or right]. And she is good at what she does because she cuts herself off, but we saw here that she spoiler[could decide not to follow an order], that she is thinking things over. Personally I quite liked what I saw here, I have been looking up quite a bit recently on Elder Scrolls lore, and I would say I am interested in grey morality.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think the anime just functions WAY to much like a game. I know that's what it's based off of but you have GOT to weave things together better when doing an adaption of this nature.

If i were playing the game and went around doing missions and quests like the anime portrays I wouldn't really have a problem with how the story is being told. But there are just way to many times where i feel like so many pointless and uninteresting conversations/interactions are going on just to fill up the air time (this was a major issue during the episode where AIka walks through the village for like 3 straight minutes and nothing happens besides us seeing random people doing random things).

Slow paced character development is always a good thing but since this series is only 13 episodes I'm really hoping we don't get some kind of rushed conclusion. AIka just doesn't really add much to any of the conversations she has with people. The douche weasel self righteous guy just spouts off about ideals and junk while she just goes "ok". The girl who was living with the rich dude asks her what she should do and AIka replies "My master told me you should make decisions for yourself". Ummmm ok?
Well if that isn't the most helpful bit of advice I've ever heard!!!
Stating the obvious doesn't really help much sister.

I realize she is trained to be like this but I don't think that's a excuse to have main character who gets outshined by expendable side characters that have gotten more dialogue in the meer 20 minutes they are shown than she has in 4 episodes.

She is showing subtle development sure but it's so painstakingly small that I wonder if they keep going at this pace if there will be hardly any changes at all by the end of it. It's better be worth the payout because I literally had a dream yesterday about AIka actually having a personality.................it irritates me THAT much. Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Especially since the guy looks like a reasonably good guy, and the one they are up against looks pretty greedy, with a kind young thing as his mistress.

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote, but I take exception to these two statements.

A "good guy" who orders the cold blooded assassination of a string of low level guards is not a good guy. He is willing to commit murder by proxy just to make a political point. In effect what he is is a vigilante and if he were a "good guy" he would have a community backing him instead of just a paid hit-woman. We don't see any of that, and we also don't really see any motivation for what he is doing which is a weak point in the writing.

Also, the village leader might be a bit of a gross tool, but it seemed to me that he really did care about the girl. Whatever he did with her he invoked quite a bit of loyalty in her, which I doubt if he was really just a greedy bastard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9