• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
...but Parliament should have been The Diet...

Can you imagine the confusion trying to explain that one to a western audience? I know you're being pedantic but that example in particular made me chuckle.

I love Diet as a name for a legislature, but it would be more trouble than it's worth. I still remember my confused reaction to seeing the phrase, "Diet of Worms," in my high school European History textbook for the first time. I must have thought it was some bizarre Catholic penitence ritual or something.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
I do enjoy how comprehensive your reviews are.

Holy crap, somebody's actually read some of these? I guess I should stop inserting subliminal Satanic messages into them. It's just a part-time gig; I don't care about expanding Satan's legions on Earth, I just do it for the health insurance. Vision and dental don't kick in for 666 months, but the employee contribution is low and the deductible is very reasonable.

I just wish I'd been able to find some clips of the Electric Messiah from The Ruling Class, oh well, here's a compilation of some of the musical numbers instead. (The Ruling Class is one of those things that I always stump for when the opportunity arises)

Botan24 wrote:
^Yes, so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about this stupid show. I give you credit for making it all the way through. Personally, I gave up at episode 12. By half way point I'd had enough! The only, only, thing I like about this show is the opening music. Which as I understand it is not the original opener.

It's one of my sicknesses; if I have all of something in a convenient form at my fingertips, I can't leave it unfinished once I start it. I sort of like to deliberately expose myself to bad stuff to broaden y horizons, in a weird way. Speed Grapher didn't make me angry or annoyed the way some things that I really don't like have, it was just sort of risible. Besides, maybe once I watch enough of these Gonzo series, I'll be able to devise a grand unified theory of why they managed to keep making hashes of what are often entirely respectable or even good ideas. They keep disappointing me, but in a daffy way that makes their work more fascinating. Maybe this is what having been exposed to Mystery Science Theater 3000 from the age of eight does to a man.

The more I think about it, the more Speed Grapher reminds me of Witchblade. I actually liked Witchblade, although I largely concede many criticisms of it, so any similarity worked against it. A lot of the basic elements felt repeated, which I admit is unfair as Speed Grapher came first. The two have a common problem in telling us that we're seeing a city and society that have been crippled, but not really showing us the consequences of those upheavals or making them come through in the narrative. There must have been something in the water at the company. Given some of the complaints that I've read about Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing have a pinball plot, the probably still is.

And you're right about the opening. The original opening was Duran Duran's "Girls on Film", but FUNImation couldn't secure the rights for the American release.

Botan24 wrote:
As long as we're being pedantry...actually, its brother Chris Ayres that does Suitengu's voice. Greg plays the character with the super sense of smell, Tsujido.

Son of a bitch!

I even thought to myself, "you should probably make sure that you have that straight." That happens to me sometimes.

errinundra wrote:
Thanks, Surrender Artist. Speed Grapher was on my undecided as yet list of anime to watch. You have pushed it into the don't bother list.

That's probably the right call. If nothing else, I believe that Chōji Suitengu follows a villain stereotype that you are exceedingly tired of. It's very disappointing that he does, not just because the character type is so annoying, but because, at least abstractly, his background and motivations make sense, they're just not handled well and they didn't give him a more coherent, compelling agenda. I think that he really could have been somebody that would give the audience at least reason to sometimes pause in rooting for the designated hero.

Blood- wrote:
I cannot, in good conscience, claim that Speed Grapher is a fine show. It is not. However, they did have me from the scene where poor Kagura stumbles in to see spoiler[her female teacher, an erstwhile ally, orally pleasuring her bitch-on-wheels mom.]

I did find that hilarious. Moments like that were why I did enjoy some of Speed Grapher at first. It was just trying so hard that it made me laugh. I even laughed at few things that I'm genuinely ashamed to admit to having found funny. (My sense of humor can be distressingly amoral) I kept wanting it to just ditch the story and just keep trying to top itself with ever trashier, more outrageous nonsense.

Speed Grapher would might make for a great highlights real of the most preposterously violent, depraved or perverted moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Fudge. I had myself all primed today to finish off Baby, Please Kill Me! which I thought was only 12 eppies. Turns out it's 13. Damn the completist in me, but I can't blow off the final episode. I really should have dropped this show long ago; it's a chore to watch. The few chuckles I get each episode are not enough compensation for hanging in.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
After almost 650 episodes, a dozen of movies, a bunch of OVAs, I'm still dying to see more Detective Conan. Detective Conan, Y U NO RELEASE 7 EPISODES A WEEK?

Laughing

Other than that, about everything is on hold. I made it to the second season of House MD, though. So far so good. Looking forward to the second season of Highschool of the Dead and a re-watch of Halo Legends. And perhaps the 20th or so re-watch of Lord of the Rings. MY PRECIOUS!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
After almost 650 episodes, a dozen of movies, a bunch of OVAs, I'm still dying to see more Detective Conan. Detective Conan, Y U NO RELEASE 7 EPISODES A WEEK?

Laughing

I can relate. I am now just a dozen episodes away from catching up and am now ready to join the ranks that curse the "slowness" of a show that releases episodes only almost every week of the year. Not enough! I want another BO storyline!

Other than the manga (would rather watch) the only part of the franchise I've avoided are the Live action dramas. They really don't look good.

Unfortunately, after more than 15 years, it looks like they are now VERY close to catching up with the manga. Just 30 chapters behind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Finished up High School of the Dead last night. I'm just going to go ahead and finalize the grade with a "C+" (borderline "B-") just because it's another zombie flick (with a pantsu shot per minute).

Recommended if killing half a day is just what the "doctor" ordered.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Guilty Crown since the series just ended this Thursday and I'm looking for some good sci-fi action.
kandysweet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Currently caught up to ep. 11 of Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father! and moved onto the first couple episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates.

Grrr.. If it weren't for internet usage limits I would continue watching BSP. Mad
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
kandysweet wrote:
Grrr.. If it weren't for internet usage limits I would continue watching BSP. Mad

Preach it! Watching multiple shows a season is the pain in the ass. I'm always so relieved when a show I plan on watching is announced for a BD release before it airs since it means I can drop it and wait until it's released. I already have 13 for the Summer season, so I'm hoping at least half of them get picked up.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm watching Guilty Crown since the series just ended this Thursday and I'm looking for some good sci-fi action.

I'd forego that one, unless the "good" is optional. Refer to the last few pages of the GC thread for a show of the general discontent.

I'm caught up on Another, Ano Natsu, and working on Moretsu Pirates, but Kurosawa films keep interrupting...
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
My husband has talked me into watching yet another anime...(he's the one who hooked me in the first place. I place all blame on him for my subsequent fall into the fandom. Wink)

So its Kekkaishi this time. Ah, shounen. It never feels old to me, and however predictable, still can bring me joy in the fact that it is so simple. I'm only on episode seven, so I'd say I'm enjoying Kekkaishi for what it is, something that goes down easy. But its nothing special, at this point.

And, if its shounen on one hand, then its gotta be shojo on the other right? Diamond Daydreams, if you please. I've made it through the first disk, the Atsuko/Karin arcs. There are six girls that get two episodes each to tell a bit about the drama in their lives. The first one was strictly about love, while Karin's story was more about her coming to terms with her fears. I'm looking forward to learning about the remaining four.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

I'd forego that one, unless the "good" is optional. Refer to the last few pages of the GC thread for a show of the general discontent.

Well, I'm enjoying it so far up to episode 16 so far. Science is serious business.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I just "watched"* Redline again. For the 4th time.

Holy shit I love this movie.

*: I technically only watched the whole Yellowline race and the end of the Redline race.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
With spring weather here, I decided it was a perfect time to fire up Aria again.

This show just gets better and better with each viewing. Damn, do I just love those girls, especially Akari, my next wife.

Also, I wanted to plug it just to bring it to the minds of others. Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
And, if its shounen on one hand, then its gotta be shojo on the other right? Diamond Daydreams, if you please. I've made it through the first disk, the Atsuko/Karin arcs. There are six girls that get two episodes each to tell a bit about the drama in their lives. The first one was strictly about love, while Karin's story was more about her coming to terms with her fears. I'm looking forward to learning about the remaining four.
It's actually not shoujo, as it's based on a male-targeted visual novel. Not an erotic one, as far as I can tell.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
It's actually not shoujo, as it's based on a male-targeted visual novel. Not an erotic one, as far as I can tell.

Huh, fooled me. Embarassed Would have never guessed this was based on a male targeted game. I thought all games that fell within that demographic involved a central protagonist, and lots of girls, i.e. Clannad. But whatever, you learn something new everyday. Its not going to dampen my enjoyment, nor alter my opinion of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 672 of 1062