• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Finished Makoto Shinkai's Hoshi o Ou Kodomo.

A beautiful and touching movie. This is Makoto Shinkai's longest movie (with a near time length of 2h) so prepare for a long night if you're watching this on the weekends with your bf/gf, best friend, parents, or whoever. The story is interesting and gets underway quite well. It uses myth of the underworld and resurrection also plays a role in its plot. There are action and drama in this series as well as romance as most themes of Makoto Shinkai's other works. The artwork is some of the best in the world of animation rivaling that of 5cm Per Second. If you're looking for a great movie to watch on a weekend night with superior animation, then this is definitely something to check out.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jambu_batu27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Ranma!!! Cant take my eyes aways from him..haha!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Karas -- Saw the first episode a looong time ago, then decided to start over and actually finish the series after recently watching Casshern Sins and becoming slightly obsessed with Tatsunoko stuff. Watched this via fansub since they were Blu-ray rips, and holy crap I hope Manga Entertainment finds it in themselves to release this on BD in the States. I believe the native source is HD and the sound was constructed 5.1, so a little AVC and DTS-HD MA encoding would easily make this a great addition to any Blu-ray collector's library. The art and animation are extremely flashy and fun to look at. I especially like Karas' physical mannerisms and movements, as they remind me of old sentai shows with the transformation, poses, hand motions, powering up, and all that cool stuff. Story-wise, I was surprised at how this reminded me of X (TV), only a lot less character-centric and a bit more graphic. I have to say, though, it's quite the visual spectacle if I ever saw one. If you like dark action sci-fi-fantasy titles, this would definitely rank in my top 10. The first half may seem a little slow, but by the 5th episode, that buildup really makes the difference in the tone when things start getting batshit crazy. My score: Excellent or 9/10.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Polar Bear's Cafe'. Currently going to watch the 3rd episode. It's a fun slice of life show based on a gag manga or something. Or should I say "slice of anime life"? lol.
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
No I am not, not in the slightest. That is an ecchi from the late 90s, the movie I saw is a slice of life drama movie made in 2010 based on a novel. Same name, not remotely the same series. Shame the ecchi one is on DVD but not this movie. To make it uber clear, I am talking about this Colorful and not that Colorful

Well that explains it. Your comments and praise for Colorful were really messing with my head. All I could think was damn, I should have given it more than 5 minutes, apparently it got much better.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I have not done so yet, but I'm gonna re-watch Noein -- to your other self and Shakugan no Shana III (Final). The more that I think about their respective endings, the more that I just scratch my head.....

I can't help you with Shana, but I've seen Noein several times and think I have a decent handle on it, so if there's something specific that's bugging you about how it ended, go ahead and spit it out.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Pom Poko

Another Ghibli to check off my list. I did have my doubts about this one though. I'm not a fan of cute animated animals as the main storytelling device. But the story turned out really good, and as a bonus the raccoons could transform. After that initial "battle" scene, I was sold. However, my favorite part had to be the ghost and goblin parade. It was fun seeing all the spirits and specters from Japanese folklore. And they were animated not in a scary way, but colorfully and fun. The ending had me crying and smiling in turns. It was bittersweet, but still worth watching.

Big O season one

Loved it. It seemed to borrow heavily from Western influences. I saw a big tie-in to Batman in the character of Roger Smith. He has the gadgets, black car (also equipped), the butler, and an alias of sorts. Not to mention the big penthouse he lives in. Then there's the Dick Tracy aspect of Roger Smith. He's a negotiator, but does a lot of sleuthing too. And, from the the many detective novels I've read, P.I.'s have a wealth of informants at their disposal: i.e. major Datsune from the military police, and "headphones" from the bar. Continuing the Western trend is the art style. With the exception of the mecha (which is the most recognizable Japanese element), Big O barely looks like anime. And, I must state that I love the art. Its highly stylized right down to the pointy fingertips and the long, low carriage of the cars. The character designs aren't really attractive, but blend in with the asthetic of the show.
Moving on, the animation is sub par. The mecha fights are about the only fairly consistent scenes. I feel like most of the budget went into them. Everything else looks stiff, and there are shortcuts everywhere.
The story itself is fairly episodic, which I have no problems with. Though the characters are a little one note. But, I chalk that up to being adults, and having already decided who and what they themselves are. I like the whole "amnesia" twist, except its used more as a crutch to keep from explaining the more difficult questions.
The two things that I dislike about this show: 1) the mecha battles in every, single, episode. That "battle of the week" device cheapens the overall story. 2) The dub is weak do to cheesy one-liners and so-so performances. I have not watched the subbed version.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
Been watching Clannad After Story, got through White Darkness, and into with Ushio. These really are some of the shows that I have cried the most, and I have been going off again, certain moments effect me a lot, like spoiler[when Ushio calls Tomoya daddy for the first time.] I love this series, and hopefully my brother does too.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
I am watching the 3rd episode of Polar Bear Cafe. This show is so wonderfully hilarious, but I probably would have totally passed on it if it weren't for reading about it. I'd definitely recommend it to cheer you up if you're having a bad day.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
I have a strict rule about rating an anime a masterpiece. For one, I cannot rate it as such if I have only seen it once; an masterpiece needs to stand the test of time and repeat viewings. With that said, 21 episodes into Natsume's Book of Friends, I feel a strong urge to break that rule. I will hold myself back, but every time I sit down to watch an episode I am struck by how perfect it all is, or at least as close to perfection as one can get.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
@Tuor_of_Gondolin--

OK, about Noein's last episode:
  • spoiler[Why does Kosagi kill La'cryma's Haruka Kaminogi? Is it a mercy killing?]
  • spoiler[What is the significance of the Supreme Council's room falling into darkness?]
insanewendell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to anime-planet, I know what to catch up on and I can keep better track of what I'm watching! Right now I'm actually pretty current anime in Medaka Box, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and SKET Dance. I'm also watching Excel Saga and Katanagatari.

I've got stuff to watch after completing the last two, like Captain Tylor and more Sgt. Frog, and once Noein comes in, I'll be watching that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
so far this season i have watched quite a few shows, sadly to say that I am so burnt out now.. that I just don't care at the moment. The only show i am even following this season week to week is kore no zombie? Of the dead, and mysterious girl friend x. While I love lupin III and kids on the slope i feel like saving those for a marathon later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sjack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2-Thought I'd get back to watching my childhood anime.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
nbahn wrote:
I have not done so yet, but I'm gonna re-watch Noein -- to your other self and Shakugan no Shana III (Final). The more that I think about their respective endings, the more that I just scratch my head.....

I can't help you with Shana, but I've seen Noein several times and think I have a decent handle on it, so if there's something specific that's bugging you about how it ended, go ahead and spit it out.

I can maybe help out with Shana III.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 685 of 1060