• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
@Tuor_of_Gondolin--

OK, about Noein's last episode:
  • spoiler[Why does Kosagi kill La'cryma's Haruka Kaminogi? Is it a mercy killing?]
  • spoiler[What is the significance of the Supreme Council's room falling into darkness?]

Before I get going, let me say that these are *my* answers, and I can't guarantee that they're completely correct.

About Kosagi at the end: spoiler[La'Cryma was finally being forcefully merged with Shangri-la. La'cryma-Haruka was part of the core of the bio-quantum-computer that had kept La'cryma from being merged. Only now, it was actually preventing La'cryma's people from being able to recognize one another. It *had* to be destroyed. I don't think Kosagi was simply killing La'cryma-Haruka, but rather destroying the computer and all the people who were part of its core. I think she symbolically chose Haruka due to the emotional significance of her liking Karasu, who in turn only cared about Haruka. Just what it meant, maybe it meant she was severing her attachment to Karasu. I also wondered if Kosagi died in the blast thought it would be nice to die with La'cryma-Haruka.]

I think the above should answer a bit of your other question about the Supreme Council. spoiler[You were seeing them being assimulated into Shangri-la. Remember that the council room, as with the all the other livable areas in La'cryma, was deep underground. As the assimulation progressed, the tech that La'cryma had been using was breaking down -- there was no place for it in Shangri-la.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that La'cryma was the main world that stood against being assimulated by Shangri-la. They took every possible measure, regardless of what they did to themselves, in order to prevent it. They were even willing to effectively murder a little girl (beliving she was a form of quantum energy, and reinforcing that belief as much as they could) to do it. But ultimately, despite everything, Shangri-la's assimulation could only be put off for so long, and when they couldn't get the Dragon Torque installed into their defense system, the rot on the inside and that on the outside grew too much and the barriers fell.]

I really liked Noein, possibly because I felt that Yuu and I had a lot in common (but not, unforunately, Haruka).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@Mad_Scientist--

OK, about the ending of Shana:
  • spoiler[In one of the last episodes both a rainbow and Volkswagon appear out of nowhere to spirit Kazumi Yoshida away. What are they and where did they come from?]
  • spoiler[When did Johan and Pheles die? Why?]
  • spoiler[Why were Margery Daw and Sydonay fighting in the river?]

Finally, is it just a coincidence that so many anime that are set in contemporary Japan depict an urban area with a river running through it?

EDIT:
@Tuor_of_Gondolin--
Thanks -- the ending is sadder than I realized.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
nbahn,

In the end, spoiler[the assimilation of La'cryma by Shangri-la was prevented, and the people of La'cryma were not all assimilated. Things were returned to their proper structure, by which I mean the various possibilities were restored. Karasu merged with Yuu, and so was able to be with Haruka. It's uncertain what ultimately happened to Haruka -- in all the worlds that Noein could reach, she died. But that doesn't mean that the same fate will happen to Yuu's Haruka.]

There was definitely some sad stuff at the end, but in the main I thought it had an upbeat ending.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Ok, today I finished off my rewatch of Clannad After Story, a rewatch of Rozen Maiden traumend, and a got through a half rewatch of Spice and Wolf 2.

After Story also pushed me to finish something I have been holding off on, I finally watched the last episode of Katanagatari. The reason I stopped is that I could not see it having a happy ending with spoiler[Togame being shot at the end of episode 11]. And really the confirmation of spoiler[Togame's death] in this episode is as more of a surprise then if spoiler[something happened to save her life], gutsy move that I think it should be praised for. Regardless the ending of spoiler[Togame dead, all the swords destroyed, and Shichika travelling around with the enemy] really is a traggedy. I will say now that I disliked the ending, but the show knew this, a major story point was of spoiler[changing the written history, but an ending where things ended up this way, it is like the final swipe at the idea of rewriting events.] A bit ironic in fictional samurai story though. But as a romantist, I do not look at it very fondly.
Kyoyafangirl445

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
Boogiepop Phantom

Just finished this last night. I'm still a little confused about some of the things that happened, but overall I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting how they set up the series; it made it even creeepier. I always watched this late at night too, which didn't help. I think episode 5 scared me the most. spoiler[With the guy becoming obbessed with the girl and thinking she was some girl in a dating sim.] I'm going to watch the live action prequel, Boogiepop and Others tonight.
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching Princess Tutu. I really liked the series; it was
so original and heart-warming, it's definitely my favorite Magical
Girl series; if not my all-time favorite anime. Smile
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
@Mad_Scientist--

OK, about the ending of Shana:
  • spoiler[In one of the last episodes both a rainbow and Volkswagon appear out of nowhere to spirit Kazumi Yoshida away. What are they and where did they come from?]
  • spoiler[When did Johan and Pheles die? Why?]
  • spoiler[Why were Margery Daw and Sydonay fighting in the river?]

Finally, is it just a coincidence that so many anime that are set in contemporary Japan depict an urban area with a river running through it?

First answer: spoiler[those were the techniques (and I think the van might have been a Rin-ne, or a Denizen itself) of a group of Crimson Denizens that Pheles knew. Pheles brought the trio there to help her out with her plans. The anime didn't do a very good job of introducing those characters, though. You first see them in episode 14 during the Mistquake, but they haven't been named or spoken a line at that point so it's easy to forget them. Later, at the end of an episode (I can't remember which right now) they are seen commenting on how they don't really care much about Bal Masque or gods or anything, and Pheles suddenly shows up., though it makes it unclear just what her relationship with them is.

Both small appearances, so it's not surprising you didn't recognize them when the van showed up.]

Second answer: spoiler[shortly after they rescued Kazumi and while they were fleeing from the Denizens inside the van. The exact moment is not made clear, but by the time what's-his-name (the servant of the God of Guideance) saw something in the van and started freaking out, they were already dead.

As to why they died, the technique they used to create a Crimson Denizen/Human hybrid required that they sacrifice their own existence.]

Final answer: spoiler[because Sydonay wanted to die, and he and Margery had a history between each other, with Margery at least having reason to have a grudge against him. Really, there was no particularly good reason for any of them to fight at that point, but the situation was tense and as I said above, Sydonay wanted to die so he wasn't exactly in a "talk things out" mood.]

As for your unspoiled question about a river, I honestly do not know. It's not something I've thought about before, but now that you mention it, it's amazing how many anime series feature cities with rivers in them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Just finished High School of the Dead. I am torn with this show. I felt it tried too hard to be 2 different things. I mean half the time it seems to want to take the whole zombie apocalypse idea seriously and show how the main characters survive together. Then every time it gets serious, and all chance before and after, it's working hard to be super ecchi. I mean even during serious fights there's panty and boob flashes complete with noise effects too. I like ecchi shows, I like zombie horror etc shows too. I just think this one couldn't decide which to focus on. Reminded me of Ikki Tousen which couldn't decide between a real plot or just showing tits and ass and exploding clothes all the time. Like I said it's not that I don't like both aspects but just figure out which one is your primary goal and focus on that first. Be consistent basically.

I think next up I'm going to watch some more ecchi action. In the mood for it really. Just need to veg out a bit I suppose. I think Sekirei and Hyakka Ryouran will fit the bill. Maybe once they're done I'll switch back to some more serious shows.
Otishio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Currently I'm on episode 16 of Rave Master. It's awesome to see all the references within Fairy Tail that are in Rave Master. Now while I was aware of the major ones (Plue, Jellal's character design so and and so on) it's cool to see some references that I hadn't noticed. I do much prefer Fairy Tail over Rave Master as it so far however it is interesting to watch it now.
tocahan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Genshiken. Just finished the OVAs, soon to embark on season 2. Why? Eh, it was on top of the pile.....
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Rewatched Do You Remember Love? last night on a lark. Feeling an upswell in Macross intrest, am probably going to watch Macross Plus OVA next and make an attempt at Macross 7. After I either finish that or give up in disgust, on to Macross Zero and finally Frontier.

Granted I should probably finish watching Shin Mazinger Z and Fang of the Sun Dougram first, as I'm still working my way through both.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Star in High Definition.
Why? Because I can, that's why!

When I saw this was available as an import, and got some advice from other forum users, I just had to get it and boy, what a difference in picture quality.

Screw you, Bandai. It gives me fantastic satisfaction this purchase gives them $0 since Kadokawa is distributing it themselves.

It's a bit pricey, if you're thinking about doing the same. My purchase from Amazon Japan was $320, including shipping.

Right from the start, the playback is awesome. Once the Kadokawa logo disperses, it starts right into the episode. No ads. No menu. Just pure awesome.

The opening sequence was pretty clear and it's evident the amount of compression Bandai used in its DVD. However, I'm not sure this series was actually created in 1080, because I can notice anti-aliasing at times, which is a good sign of an up-convert. Despite this, it's still a beautiful looking show.

Thanks to WTK and The King of Harts, I was told the accompanying dub is what we're used to, and sure enough, Kari's Kagami feels right at home. Damn, do I just love Kagami.

The subtitling is new, and you won't be bombarded with that nasty yellow font plaguing the DVD version, nor will you have to endure an entire screen's worth of text if you decide to listen to the original seiyuu. Very nicely done, large, and crisp for those who have difficulty reading subtitles.

In short, for me, this purchase was worth every red cent, especially given this is one of my favorite series.

PS: the soundtrack is only available in LPCM 2.0. Sorry, no surround sound on this one, but who needs it anyway.

Toodles.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm watching too many things for my own good. I don't know why, but Spring 2012 just has so many things that I want to watch and I'm not willing to drop any of them until I've at least hit my 6 episode mark. (A New Years Resolution from 2 years ago...)

Kids on the Slope - Probably my favorite of the season. Great animation, story, music, and well, everything else. Love it!

Trsuritama - I'm on episode 3 and I feel like I'm watching one of those closet Yaoi shows. Is this yaoi? My husband's telling me it's Yaoi. But I don't see it labeled Yaoi anywhere... Either way, it's neat and energetic. I kinda wanna see where the plot is going. But if this becomes more about cute boys doing cute things, I'll probably end up dropping it. Although, 11 episodes isn't that big of an investment.

Space Brothers - I didn't expect to enjoy this but I freaking love this show! The male lead is so wacky. I can't wait to see how the story develops.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Loving this one too. Creepy, silly, playful, and a little perverted. It's totally up my alley. Watching this one with my husband as it comes out. He's loving it too. We're always debating Yoko's motives. Can't wait to see how this one unfolds too.

Saki, Side A - Why do I feel like this is "Chihayafuru, The Younger Years? Not particularly entertained by this show. It feels like straight-up moe. But I'll hang in there to episode 6. It's kinda on the back burner. I really only watch it when I've caught up with everything else. It's delightful, but not really my cup of tea.

Hyouka - Loving this show too! It's a little slow paced and I feel like it's a lower-energy, less bizarre Haruhi spin-off. I'm cool with that though. I like the character designs and the animation a lot. Sticking with this one until the end.

Ozma - This is probably the only straight sci-fi show I've watched in a while. I'm really hoping a love theme doesn't develop between the main character and Maya. She just seems... kinda old for him. And I don't like her clothing. I do like that all of the characters are so unique: from their personality to their design. That's what makes this series so entertaining for me. I'm interested in where the plot is headed after watching episode 4. I think it's starting to get good.

Space Pirates - This show is starting to bore me. I'm on like episode 11 or 12 and I'm not sure I can hang in there much longer. Does it get any better? I'm not particularly enjoying watching Marika be the captain of the ship and the cliche crew just pales in comparison to what Ozma's crew has to offer. It's like they wanted to make the crew look diverse, but just stuck to typical character designs. I may or may not stick with this one. :\

Knight in the Area - The first sports show I've ever watched. I hate getting into them because they run forever. 17 episodes though... I'm good for that. I just hope it actually ends. Doubt it. I find the story refreshing even though it's a bit stereotypical. It's just a fun watch.

Poyopoyo - Why wouldn't I watch this? It's freaking adorable! And, for 5 minute of my time each week... yeah, I can spare that for a cute cat. Anime smile

Recorder and Backpack - The jokes are getting old at this point. But, it's only 5 minutes long, so why not?

Mysterious Girlfriend X - This show bothers me. Like really bothers me. Why it bothers me is plastered all over the specific board, so I won't go there. I'm basically just sticking around to see how it ends. I want to know if she's actually got some kind of supernatural thing going on...

Sankarea - I was a little late getting to this one because I was only watching the stuff on Crunchyroll initially and then I realized a few titles weren't there. I love the female lead. She's freaking hot. Love the concept, love all the homage. Definitely sticking around. This could turn out really good. Smile

Nyarko - Maybe I'm just tired of characters like Nyarko. Or maybe I just don't get all the Lovecraft homage. But this show isn't really entertaining me much. I'm sticking around for a few more episodes. I really hope Nyarko is just manipulating the hell out of the main character and that she's not really all... bubbly like this all the time...

Hiiro no Kakera - I feel like this is another Fushigi Yugi type show but with better animation, a slightly smaller cast, and a shorter span. I'm cool with that. Cute guys defending a girl. Yeah. This is good.

Stuff I have yet to watch, but fully intend to watch this week:
Medaka Box, Natsuiro Kiseki, Lupin III (want to watch with the husband), Zombie Desu Ka (also a w/husband show), Sengoku Collection, AKB0048, and possibly Koi-Ken.

Are there any straight up ecchi shows out this season? I'm having trouble finding one and am really in the mood for some yummy 2d ecchi. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

The opening sequence was pretty clear and it's evident the amount of compression Bandai used in its DVD. However, I'm not sure this series was actually created in 1080, because I can notice anti-aliasing at times, which is a good sign of an up-convert. Despite this, it's still a beautiful looking show.
Practically no TV anime are created in 1080p; most are done in 720p or less. Lucky Star in particular was an SD show that got a notoriously bad upscale for this Blu-Ray release.

Quote:
The subtitling is new, and you won't be bombarded with that nasty yellow font plaguing the DVD version, nor will you have to endure an entire screen's worth of text if you decide to listen to the original seiyuu. Very nicely done, large, and crisp for those who have difficulty reading subtitles.
How come nobody complains about that same color when fansubbers use/used it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
@ Bento-Box, re: straight up ecchi shows this season. Well, there's the latest installment of the Queen's Blade franchise (Rebellion) but I can't seem to find a non-censored stream for it, so I'm just waiting until Sentai releases the series at some point down the road.

Upotte! (the one about guns anthropomorphized as schoolgirls) definitely has some fanservice, but I'm not sure I'd characterize it as straight up ecchi. Did you happen to catch High School DxD from the Winter season? It might fill the bill and it was kind of a fun show, all-round.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 686 of 1062