• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm currently marathoning Shangri-La, as it's being taken off Crunchyroll at the end of next month. It certainly has an interesting, timely message, what with all the carbon trading stuff, but I think it could've done far more with that idea. So far, I think it's just turned out to be a fairly generic apocalypse based show, which is a shame. I do rather like the opening animation though. It sort of reminds me of No. 6 in some ways, and Guilty Crown in others.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 am; edited 7 times in total
Lavi'sGirl01

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Right now, i am watching d. Gray-Man. I am because my friend said i should. But i am continue watching ti because i love it! :) Allen spoiler[does get his innocence back] for you people who wanna know. :) lolzz
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
@Masakaki
I'm not sure how to assess its strengths and weaknesses in detail without spoiling. So I'll just say that I think its strengths were in its wild inventiveness. It seemed to me to create and persuade me of a whole new psychological/supernatural vocabulary. Weaknesses were when it failed to live up to its own standard of inventiveness.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
I'm currently watching Ghost Hound (I'm only at 3 episodes right now). The show looks really interesting, with an interesting story so far and with a lot of psychological moments. I always get chills whenever I see those strange dreaming scenes.

I would appreciate some opinions about this anime (of course, without spoilers). What are it's good/bad points? Personally, from those 3 episodes, I would rate this anime as masterpiece. Somehow, it really affects me.

P. S. sorry for my bad english. Embarassed

Ghost Hound's greatest strength is its sound design and its creepy atmosphere. It is amazing how you can alter a mundane scene by amplifying a normal sound or making a sound go on far longer than it should. It also has a great offbeat sense of humor.

Its weakness is pacing and a conventional ending. Some scenes and psychological ramblings go on a bit too long also for a show this creative the conventional ending is disappointing.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm rewatching Princess Jellyfish with my husband. We're 4 episodes in and he's far from loving it, but it's sating my deep-seated need to rewatch the series so oh well. He's been given the choice to completely stop watching and he hasn't, so either he's mildly curious still or just plain humoring me. Either way I'm fine with it--I absolutely love the series. I just wish he didn't loathe the OP singer. I love the song and watching the OP animation and now I have to skip it every time for his sake.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I'm rewatching Princess Jellyfish with my husband.

I love Princess Jellyfish too, and hope they do a second limited series. There was so much left up in the air, particularly spoiler[the rest of the Sisterhood learning about Kuranosuke's secret and the question of whether or not Kuranosuke is going to keep quiet about his feelings for Tsukimi to the point of eventually dealing with the possibility of being in love with his sister-in-law were a relationship to develop between her and his brother. He's big on being honest about your feelings and what you want, but he also seems to care enough about his brother that he just might take a fall for him if he thinks his brother needs it, so I think it's really a coin toss as to what he might ultimately do as far as what we're left to work with as the anime ended.]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Mirai Nikki.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendation, posting about it in the sex thread, and helping me figure out what to watch first. Smile
Absolutely loved this show! This is certainly going to be in my top ten, but where to place it??? If I were to name all the things I loved about it, I'd probably get banned... so, I'm just going to leave it at this:

It's about gosh darn time a good series had a good ending, followed through on plot points, developed characters and relationships, and didn't muck everything up with pointless garbage and filler. Exceptional through and through. Would recommend this to anyone who's old enough to handle the "mature content".

On a related note - if you want to watch this, you can skip the OAV. It's like a short retelling of the first episode or so. More like a promo which, after research, appears that was the original intention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Infinite Freedom Machine

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ghost In The Shell: SAC, for the same reason I started watching Darker Than Black and Cowboy Bebop. Its soundtrack. I also hear it handles some relevant themes very well.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Macross Frontier because I finally finished the original Macross TV series and loved it, so I was inspired.

Music can really make a good show even better. The pop songs are just amazing. They make all the Macross series I've seen really fun to watch. Macross Frontier is no exception.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Finished Blue Exorcist today, and the first 2 were really good. The action was great, loved how face-paced it was, and I've always been a fan of shows with demons. But after the first 2 eps it declined. For the next ~10 eps it is mostly monster-of-the-week. It's pretty funny in many places, but I couldn't help but be impatient for it to get back to the story. It does in the beginning of the 2nd half, but falls heavily into shounen tropes. Well, now that I think about it, there were many cliche elements from the start, but it did them fairly well in the beginning. I was disappointed with what they tried to do with Satan (the main villain) in the end. spoiler[Trying to make him sympathetic by showing that he didn't understand life did not work very well.] Rin is a very typical shounen lead; a misunderstood teenager with special powers who makes friends while he learns to use his amazing powers.
Overall a good shounen series with good action but very formulaic.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I'm rewatching Princess Jellyfish with my husband. We're 4 episodes in and he's far from loving it, but it's sating my deep-seated need to rewatch the series so oh well. He's been given the choice to completely stop watching and he hasn't, so either he's mildly curious still or just plain humoring me. Either way I'm fine with it--I absolutely love the series. I just wish he didn't loathe the OP singer. I love the song and watching the OP animation and now I have to skip it every time for his sake.

I watched Princess Jellyfish with my husband as well. I'm not sure how I convinced him to though. In any case, I was just happy that he gave it a go: I really didn't think it would appeal to him. We finished it a while ago, but he said he thought it was cute and he'd watch it again. Smile Personally, I loved the show, and wish it could have been longer than eleven episodes. And the opener is super cute, but yeah, my husband likes to skip both the OP and ED, so I had to do so more often than not.

Next up: I've been laughing my way through my Ouran High School Host Club blu-ray. Yesterday while my husband was napping on the couch, I popped in the second disk. He woke up (I'd been quiet for two hours, all right?) and started watching with me. Now, that made me happy because he's always gone on about how "stupid" the show is. But he was laughing along with me, and said he enjoyed it.

Finally: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
I can see why this movie put Studio Ghibli on the map. It is an excellent first showing. It would be very hard to top it, but they still managed to make some good films after it. Wink I like that this film doesn't pussyfoot around with how warlike, and pig-headed man can be. Also, how it truly is important to take the time to see the good in everything. And protecting the environment, naturally. Smile *Um, question: did Studio Ghibli come about during a "green" movement in Japan? Most of the movies I've seen (Laputa, Pom Poko, and now Nausicaa) deal heavily with mankind's responsibility to protect the environment.* Anyway, I liked everything about it except the ending. It feels like no one could make up their minds, so they went for broke and gave us both the tragic and happy ending in one. In any case, nothing beats a hand drawn explosion, and the artwork is fun, and rather spectacular in parts.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and Sword of the Stranger.

5 Centimeters Per Second was a bit disapointing. Felt like it was building up for a good ending or a scene that just never happened. I mean that was the ending? Lame. Rated it Decent.

Sword of the Stranger on the other hand was very good. Mainly I thought I'd watch it for the action scenes (which were awesome by the way), but I was surprised at how good the story was. The pacing was good, it never felt like the movie was dragging or rushing. Lots of killing and swordplay, and a good plot on top of that. Rated it Very good.

Also watching Letter Bee Reverse, but I'm progressing quite slowly. Only seen a few episodes, but as I expected the crying started early. I never liked Lag Seeing in the first season and I don't think I'm going to like him now. Uuuh, I'm going to deliever all these letters filled with hope. Oh? Hate letters? Noooo!!! I guess Niche is still great.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
So my boyfriend and I watched El Hazard (the OVA, not the series) this weekend. This was my first time seeing it; this was his first time watching it with the dub.

I really enjoyed it, even if it was much sillier than its reputation led me to believe. It has had a pretty good dub for its age. Some of the tertiary cast (and the lead, sadly) were kind of bad, but the rest were really solid and enjoyable, especially the teacher and Jinnai. (DAT LAUGH. Seriously, the longer he laughed, the funnier it got!)

I also am proud that I managed to hook my boyfriend on Utena. We watched the first 4 episodes. He likes it, even if he thinks it's pretty strange. Oh, he has NO idea how strange it's going to get, and it's going to be really interesting to see how he reacts to the next two story arcs.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
I also am proud that I managed to hook my boyfriend on Utena.
Good job!
Brainchild129 wrote:
We watched the first 4 episodes. He likes it, even if he thinks it's pretty strange. Oh, he has NO idea how strange it's going to get, and it's going to be really interesting to see how he reacts to the next two story arcs.
Definitely! You should show him the movie after you're done watching the series. Very Happy That too is bound to get an interesting reaction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 697 of 1060