• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Just finished Kuroshitsuji II. Just as I expected, I did not like it as much as I did the first. Alois Trancy never did grow on me. Someone as needy as that... I don't like that kind of person. To top it all off, I did not like the ending. I would have preferred it more if spoiler[Sebastian managed to eat Ciel's soul instead of Ciel becoming a demon]. I feel like I wasted four hours for nothing. What a waste.[/b]
supercreep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Just started Ghost Hound. After two episodes I would feel pretty comfortable in rating it as excellent.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I started watching some comedy series lately involving action and humor including GTO which I finished yesterday and thought was hilarious and entertaining. Also, started watching Samurai Champloo after seen being mentioned a few times on ANN (this thread) and another site.

For GTO, it had some the of the typical cliche and fan-service but overall, I found the pace and execution of the series to be quite entertaining. That and of course Onizuka's perverseness and teaching tactics. Laughing

Of course, I'm a sucker to these type of school life shows especially in the old school style as it brings on the nostologia. (like some people have recently from the Toonami reformation) To me, this was one of those series that you can't help but laugh regardless how crude the humor is portrayed as either sexual or threatening. (the constant "plans" Onizuka tries to make dates with mothers and the bully like tactics of the students to weaker classmates) And of course, the drama does deepens and some of the episodes gets serious that explores some of the realism of conflicts dealing with school and life. In fact, Onizuka teaches more about life than school which is what I found interesting about this show.

All in all after I finished watching this series, I thought it was pretty decent and gave me some good laugh. Hell, I laughed the very first five minutes of the series during the mall scene. I think that this anime employs comedy in a way that is refreshing, down to earth, and appeals to the more mature/olders male demographic audience. Overall, this series was entertaining and I would consider giving the manga a try in the mere future.

As for right now, I'm watching Samurai Champloo and the first episode was very impressive and something I watched over about three times especially during the fight scene in the bar. Mugen, Fuu, and Jin's interactions are fun to watch and the fuson of jazz and the epic soundtrack makes it even more enjoyable. Although I'm not a fan of historical theme series, this one definitely takes the cake.

What I found most interesting about this series so far is Watanabe's ability to shift focus from the past and the present through the cleaver usage of remix into the Edo period of Japan. I also admit that the artwork done is unique and gives a colorful background of the theme in the story. In my opinion, I never took notice of Japan as being so urban till this series of Edo period and thanks to the animators, I finally took notice of it now.

Again, the music of this series is just epic. Whether in fight, comedy, or a typically argument between the three trio, everything just fits into the scene at near perfection. The usage of the beat and the hip-hop makes you feel that you're part of the series as you go along despite this series being set in the Edo era.Also, that OP song...almost have it stuck completely in my head now. I was reading some of the comments on the Funimation channel and people were saying NOT to skip the OP. Damn, I couldn't agree more.

Episode 15 so far is my favoritespoiler[ with the ninja chick and a zoned out Mugen being tricked every 5 mins through her "creative" mind. The music, action, and teasing in the episode was especially entertaining and I watched the "fight" scene between her and Mugen about 6-7 times Cool] I hope so comes back later on in the series as she sure spiced things up. Dat clever girl Anime smile

Well this series is trying to be perfect and so far is doing a pretty damn good job at that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
As for right now, I'm watching Samurai Champloo...

Episode 15 so far is my favoritespoiler[ with the ninja chick and a zoned out Mugen being tricked every 5 mins through her "creative" mind. The music, action, and teasing in the episode was especially entertaining and I watched the "fight" scene between her and Mugen about 6-7 times Cool] I hope so comes back later on in the series as she sure spiced things up. Dat clever girl Anime smile

Well this series is trying to be perfect and so far is doing a pretty damn good job at that.

You totally just named one of my favorite episodes from Samurai Champloo. Have to agree spoiler[with the fight scene involving Mugen and ninja girl]. It just blows my mind how awesome those two are together. One would think nothing could top Jin and Mugen as a duo, but they do.

Question: are you watching it dubbed? Half the reason I love it so much is the VA's who play the main trio (this goes for all the episodes, not just number 15).

Also, I never skip the opener either. It's a good beat to set the mood.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Question: are you watching it dubbed? Half the reason I love it so much is the VA's who play the main trio (this goes for all the episodes, not just number 15).

Also, I never skip the opener either. It's a good beat to set the mood.

Watching the subbed version right now although I might give the dubbed a shot.

I just finished episode 23 as I'm typing this and spoiler[Mugen played baseball like a boss] Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit.
Owned the nice box set of this for ages, and finally got around to watching.

I am an effing idiot. While not the fangasming next coming of anime, that had been built up to me, this was still top notch.

I should have not waited.

If this is in your backlog, start now.
You will be happy.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I watched the Tweeny Witches OVAs, and they were decent. The highlight of these episodes is the incident when Eva unwittingly makes a soup spoiler[that turns their heads into fish Anime hyper. They sneak around, trying to find a way to cure this without anyone seeing them and making fun of them, but they find the cure is to get 100 people to laugh at them Anime hyper.] A good enough diversion.

I also watched Another, and dang. Dang. That was intense. I couldn't stop myself from watching the next episode, and the next and then the next.... I really did intend to get work done today! But it really did have a great twist at the end of who was the 'culprit'. In fact, the nature of the culprit in and of itself was different than normal supernatural mysteries. spoiler[Normally some ghost/demon is killing/scaring people, and eventually you find out their motivations for doing so. I love how the dead person didn't know they were dead and wasn't even killing people; the kids' deaths were just a tragic and unintentional side effect of the dead person joining the class.] I'd really like to see a sequel/spinoff to this, detailing another class's struggles, spoiler[showing the calamity stopped permanently and possibly with one of this class's students advising them.] This is one of the things I love about this ending; they tied up enough loose ends to satisfy but left plenty to the imagination.

Another executed its creepiness masterfully. Even with a typical beginning of a vague but unspecific danger, there are hints from the start that this is better than the typical mystery/horror show. For one, we see pretty quickly spoiler[what is underneath Misaki's eyepatch. That is something that most shows would wait until the end to very dramatically reveal.] It also had me convinced that spoiler[Misaki was a ghost.] Impressively, it came up with a good explanation for her classmates behavior that caused both me and Koichi to think that way. Though the coincidence of spoiler[Mei sharing the name Misaki with the first dead person seemed a little convenient. I'm not sure, but I think Misaki is a common Japanese name. But even then, Mei was vague and seemed to purposefully make it sound like she was a ghost.] Also, during ep 11 spoiler[a student is pushed off a balcony,] and when they go to help him they walk. SO SLOWLY. He is dying right now! Bleeding! Run gosh dang it, go help him!

This show was actually scary. Not the heart-pumping kind of scary, but the creepy feeling of inevitability and powerlessness that this show delivered was excellent. The way at the end people were freaking out and spoiler[baselessly accusing one another was done in a very believable manner.] Who the spoiler[dead one] was, was unexpected but fit perfectly. Also the way they came to that conclusion fit perfectly. Looking back now I see all the subtle clues. If a person is really good at devising this kind of thing, I see now that figuring the mystery out is probably possible by as early as the 5th or 6th episode. I love it when there is a mystery and they make it possible for the viewer to solve it before the protagonists solve it (if they aren't dense like me Anime hyper).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Slowly chipping away at my backlog. Starting now on Season Two, Third Voyage of One Piece. Incidentally, my DVD backlog currently stands at 243 titles, comprised of 595 discs. When I see the actual numbers like that, it kind of makes it seem insurmountable than if I just look at the rows of discs I need to watch. Damn you DVDAF for telling me the hopelessness of my situation!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Major movement on my backlog, almost down to 700 24 minute episodes.

Burst Angel: This is the definition of ok. The show tries to bill itself as fanservice with every character having continually erect nipples, but I view this as abject failure.

Fanservice is the unique combination of character design, plot, and character action that punches that button that you my not have even known you had.

This show delivers the eyecandy, but nothing in the story to back it up, leaving me scratching my head.

Story and animation are ok. Overall, these early Funimation shows are a bit of chore to plow through.

After sitting on this for 2 years, my first thought upon finishing was, ok what is next?
Lavi'sGirl01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I just got done with D. Gray-Man! (yesterday) i hated ep 95 because all it was, was when the leaders of the dark/black order where in a meeting. Boring! lol right now, i am currently reading ranma 1/2 the manga. did yall know the anime is still going on? yep!
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the first uncut box set of Naruto. I'm late to the party, way late. And I will just be standing in the corner eating refreshments.

Really I don't get the hype. It was okay, at best. Naruto is the only half likable character. I didn't really care about Sakura or Sasuke. They weren't well developed. Neither was Naruto either but I was a little intrigued by the forced alienation and how he dealt with that.

Maybe it's because this is the first shonen show I watched and I just need to get used to it but the fights were way too long. The big bad should be killed in four episodes please. Don't drag it out spoiler[temporarily kill him, then bring him back to life.] I do quite enjoy the ending song so I give it an okay. I'll get the next boxed set just to see how this fight ends.
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
I just recently started Black Lagoon. I regret having waited so long to have seen this since the action is amazing. I find all of the main characters likeable; which rarely happens. I'm only on episode 6 as of right now but I think I'll be enjoyed this a lot.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
I've been keeping up with FateZero, Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama and Space Brothers

I've been enjoying all of those a lot and am proud of this season's shows.
I'm also rewatching Fruits Basket as I am almost finished with collecting the manga and want to do a massive reading of the entire thing after I complete the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finished the series Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin over the weekend.

I have to say that this is one of the most underrated series I've seen in awhile. From the first episode, I was intrigued by possibly just the first 10 minutes. Now, I'm a bit fan of prison like theme and at first, it felt like watching Deadman Wonderland which I did enjoy also. Long thought cut short, this series creates a touching story, a story of emotional drama and psychological thriller. This series pushes violence in the right way unlike some series that has just unnecessary gore. This anime did not make that mistake, thank God.

Now, after watching this anime, I realized that this series is very character driven. In fact, there are over 6 main characters in the series spoiler[(with one prominent character dying later on named Sakuragai also known as Anchan by the others)]. The first half of the series presented involves the prison style and what it is like to feel the guilt after committing a crime. It makes you feel the realism and the real consequences of committing a bad deed. And of course in prison, there are prisoners and wardens. Unfortunately for our protagonists, they are not on good terms with a few particular characters namely Ishihara. He is one of the most sadistic characters in the series and I think most people (including myself) would probably want to beat him half to death after watching the first half.

My favorite character would definitely be Sakuragi for his way of protecting the others he has meant due to an emotional drama that has left scars. He is very driven to protecting what he believes is right and those are his friends. He can be pushed to his own physical limit by Ishihara but when faced with seeing his precious friends suffering, his rage reaches a boiling point where he disregards his own safety. Now, I found that to be truly inspiring. The other characters of the series are also quite interesting ranging their past and history involving the mood of the story.

Mario is also noticable in the series as one of the main characters.spoiler[ At first, he gets into an intense fight with Sakurgai but later one becomes his hero and inspires to be like him.] His character development in seen as one of the major points of the series and after watching him develop was quite an interesting turn of the weekends.

As for the animation, I thought this series lived up to its expectations. Not that it's any surprising anyways since one of my studios, Madhouse is involved. The art is performed spectacular and darkens the mood of the story. Throughout the episodes, there are manga like sketches that conveys the mood the story and through the narrator dialogue covers the background. It captures the sense and style and I really enjoyed its unique performance.

The OP song of this series is also quite catchy even though I'm not familiar with the band. I tend to skip a lot of OP songs but didn't let a go pass on this one. Why would I when it's so catchy? Razz Good job Coldrain, kudos to you.

This series does have a few problems though hence my scoring of a perfect 10. Firstly, it does not cover the full material of the manga from what I've heard. Then, there are the side "fillers" that kinda ruined the main storyline. Additionally, I felt that some of the episodes were a bit repetitive. Luckily, it does not push these limits too far so thank god for that.

Overall, this series was quite enjoyable for me this weekend and I did not regret watching

Wink
Lavi'sGirl01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Lavi'sGirl01 wrote:
Right now, i am watching d. Gray-Man. I am because my friend said i should. But i am continue watching ti because i love it! Smile Allen spoiler[does get his innocence back] for you people who wanna know. Smile lolzz

i finished it on Saturday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 699 of 1062