• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonie92

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Oh, and I started watching Sailor Moon Super S. I was going to write a angry rant on how the character of Chibi-usa is the show's equivalent of Scrappy Doo and should be discarded post-haste, when they doubled down on the derp and introduced the [censored] kitten from the future, which at that point I had to be physically restrained from smashing the television with a baseball bat.

I love Sailor Moon, and I love cuteness, but I can't stand Chibi-Usa. I own two discs of SuperS and that's prolly all I'll ever get because it's so grating on my nerves. I could have dealt with all of the annoying elements if they were alone but the Dead Moon Circus isn't really intimidating, Chibi-Usa and Diana (that darn cat) annoy me to no end, and they took out the Outers (my favorites). It was by far the weakest season of Sailor Moon and I would suggest just skipping it unless you just really want to see it. Maybe I'm a bad Sailor Moon fan for saying this but that season was just plain weak.
Fedpo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
For my first week of summer vacation, these are the shows I watched:

Bleach The Movie: Memories of Nobody, Bleach: The DiamondDust Rebellion, and Bleach the Movie: Fade to Black: Bunch of fighting and whatnot... typical. But I'm not disappointed. I mean, why else would I watch Bleach movies? So while the movies weren't too great, they weren't incredibly bad either. Heck, the DiamondDust Rebellion and Fade to Black actually did an okay job of making me interested in what would happen.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kira: Finally got around to watching this after forgetting for all this time. Episode 1 was completely perverted in a way that, at least I thought, was pretty funny... and kinda... strange. Okay, it was the most perverted thing I have ever seen. Episodes 2 and 3 were entertaining, but not really memorable. Episode 4 was really sweet, it made a good contrast to the comedy of the other episodes and was my favorite overall.

Gosick: VikutoriKAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! In all seriousness, I loved this show. I didn't think that the mysteries themselves were all that great, but the quests to solve each mystery were awesome. I found myself incredibly interested in how things were going to pan out. I especially like the fact that spoiler[most of the mysteries actually ended up being connected at the end in some way and that there was an overarching story line.] Anyways, I'm a sucker for love stories like this. spoiler[I was bawling like crazy at the end. It's been a while since an anime has made me do that.] I liked the characters and thought the plot was great.

I think I'll try to watch something a little more lighthearted next, like Lucky Star or something.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
I watched a couple of old OVAs recently.

First was Iczer Reborn. Why? Partly because it's been in my collection for over 3 years, partly because I really enjoyed the first part of the franchise (Fight! Iczer One). Unfortunately, the sequel is nowhere near as good as the original. We start with Iczer One, the heroine from the first OVA, trying to clean up all of villain Big Gold's remaining minions. She has a big fight with the last one, Neos Gold, which leaves both exhausted. They call a truce so they can recover and settle things later, but Neos Gold sends her 4 minions to attack Earth, where she intends for her final battle with Iczer One to take place. Earth's military is totally defeated except for one ship and its crew, who survive with the help of Iczer Three, an annoying android (think C-Ko from Project A-Ko, only a bit bigger, less of a crybaby, but just as clueless) sent by Sister Grey, a character the writers for this chapter pulled out of their butts, I guess. So, for the next 5 episodes (the total is 6) Neos Gold's minions take turns tryiing to destroy the last ship and Iczer Three-and, of course, failing epically. At times this show started to make me think of that all-time sci-fi classic Robot Monster, wherein a fat guy in a gorilla suit kills the entire population of Earth except for 6 people, then spends an hour wandering around Bronson Canyon trying to figure out how to kill them. To be fair, Iczer Reborn isn't quite as bad. Some of the fight scenes are decently done, but, all-in-all, this is kind of a cliche-filled waste of time that will probably disappoint most fans. Fans looking for mecha action will be disappointed since Iczer Robo only shows up a couple of times and doesn't have much to do (yes, Nagisa still has to get naked to help pilot it), and those looking for fan service will find there's not that much of that either. It's certainly not the worst anime I've seen, but I can't really say it was worth three hours of my time to watch.

Then there was Appleseed (I refer to the original OVA, not the CGI movie). Why? Because it's been in my collection for over 4 years, and it seems to be one of those old OVAs that lots of people watched back in the day. I won't go into plot details as most people are probably already familiar with this title, I'll just say that I watched it with somewhat low expectations and pretty much got what I expected-something that wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I've never read the manga, but watching this made me think this was sort of a trial run for ideas and concepts that would be explored much more effectively in Ghost in the Shell. Compared to that franchise, Appleseed seems decidedly lightweight. Still, it was fairly entertaining and I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Currently watching Asobi Ni Iku Yo! right now. I've heard good things about it.

...But Tia Ballard's voice is gonna...take some getting used to. She's bumping up her pitch to unusual levels.
bluetoile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching Ouran High School Host Club and Darker than Black. I like the anime OHSHC a lot better than the drama. Deeper than black is okay. It's interesting enough to keep me watching, but it's nothing amazing.

I finished watching Steins;Gate. It's definitely one of the best animes I've watched so far. I also enjoyed watching the OVA. [/b]

Last edited by bluetoile on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Kuroko no Basket

just in time for the NBA playoffs. My fav anime this season.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
If you like cats, might I recommend this? Although be forewarned, it is pure, undiluted eighties.
Space alien cat? Say no more, I think I'll like it. Very Happy I like older anime, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm watching Beelzebub and have finished the first season. It's a good comedy with great over-the-top ridiculousness and no seriousness to mar the craziness or interrupt the constant explosions. My only complaint is that as the series progresses, Oga (the MC) has gotten less evil. I love watching him put on his evil demon face and beat the stuffing out of everyone. That's one of the best parts about this show; Oga is the strongest guy around (spoiler[except for Tojo, but Oga defeats him after being defeated by Tojo once]) so there's no overly-drawn out melodramatic battles. Someone picks a fight with Oga and it's hugely entertaining to see him effortlessly pound them. And even more entertaining is to see said badass at the beck and whim of a toddler Anime hyper The beginning of the show (~2 eps) have some very slight coherency issues, as you are thrown en media res and it jumps from one thing to the next, but it isn't a big problem. I'm looking forward to the rest of this show.
kaydub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Finished the first season of K-ON! and liked it despite the fact that there wasn't nearly as much music as I had hoped. Moving on to season two, I'm really hoping I can make it all the way through without succumbing to the urge to change my desktop to a Mio slideshow...
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
While looking for a picture for the character guessing game, I went with my normal approach of looking at my list of read manga and determining what had an anime. I was waiting to post on here until my character had been correctly guess (disappointingly fast might I add), but as a result of hunting, I somehow watched the Cipher OVA. I might have a new contender for the best "So bad it's hilarious" anime here.
So, for those not in the know, the manga that it is based on has a plot. It follows a girl, Anise (which the OVA for some reason decided was "Elly", which is actually the cat's name), who discovers that the former child star attending her high school is actually one pair of twins switching places. She's determined to figure out why they're doing this and what follows is a coming of age drama about two twins trying to get out of each other's shadow and discover what they want to make of themselves.
The anime is a mix of terrible Engrish and strangely placed 80s songs, including one by Thompson Twins (the mangaka absolutely loves them, she writes about how much she loves them in her 1/4 columns all the time, and how she somehow likes 80s fashion), a Phil Collins song, and Footloose. Seriously, every line of dialogue is pure golden Engrish and the songs are just so bizarrely placed that maybe it was cool to the Japanese, but to anyone who, y'know, lives in America, it's nothing shy of side splittingly funny. Every moment makes you go "Who thought this was a good idea?!" As someone who read and really enjoyed the manga, it makes me go "who the hell is this for?" because as a fan of the manga, it has absolutely nothing in there that made the manga good. And if I had never read the manga, it sure as hell wouldn't make me want to check it out as the OVA is just awful in every conceivable way and gives no indication to what the manga is about. Yes, Cipher makes a football movie in California, but I don't recall Anise every interviewing him in terrible Engrish, it was more of a side note where here it's somehow the main focus. And seriously, how in the hell are you supposed to decipher (no pun intended) anything that's happening at all without the background of knowing wtf happened in the manga? I read the manga and still had to guess! And why the Engrish? I know the series takes place in America, but yikes!

So for those of you who somehow saw this, and probably laughed a lung out, just know that the manga is nothing like this and is very much worth a read. Ok, it has the same characters, or more accurately, the same character designs since this OVA doesn't show you any actual characters, but that's about the only thing it has in common. CMX actually published the entire thing too! And it's one of the CMX series that's not ridiculously expensive! On the other hand, anyone looking for that magical sort of "so bad it's good" absolutely need to try this. It's probably one of the best I've seen in this category as all the terrible 80s stuff and Engrish and mistaken portrayal of America makes it downright magical. And I think the OVA took itself somewhat seriously on top of it. Just don't watch it then dismiss the manga, please?
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Finished Beelzebub, and it was pretty good. It took awhile to get good, and for awhile it was quite good. Between eps ~25 and ~48 it did a great job expanding the comedy beyond 'Oga gets shocked'. It also got some plot going on and balanced it really well with its comedy. The side characters were also very entertaining. I was disappointed with the ending though, especially the last episode. Everything just feels so unfinished. One of the things I was hoping they'd address is Beel possibly spoiler[having another older brother. A few different times, they refer to Beel as "the youngest", suggesting he has more than one older brother.] And during a fight in the 2nd to last ep spoiler[supposedly Beel eating human food transformed them the same way Oga eating demon food does, but he's been eating human food from the very beginning. And the way Hilda tried to sacrifice herself seemed very out of character.] Seeing the Demon Lord and his very un-Demon-Lordly behavior made me laugh though, and even though the many filler eps near the end brought it down, there were some really funny moments in there (I loved the Journey to the West ep).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
I went through all of City Hunter TV and Movies. Loved it. Wish I would have watched it went it was new instead of waiting so damn long. Kaori and Ryo are too funny and are of course another drop in the shonen formula greatness from the past.

Before that I went through both seasons of Code Geass. I enjoyed most of it. I'm a big Fan of Clamp as well. (Knowing full well that their art was the only thing contributed to CG) I can tolerate long, drama / soap opera style anime series and this one was twisted. Damn twisted. The switch between seasons was an odd one. Like when you watch through Utena TV and then hop to the Movie, roles are slightly switched. Not in a spoiler way but enough to make you go "WHAT!"

It's seems after all these years, the Japanese can figure out how to introduce a (somewhat) good hook to begin these seasons with but for the life of them don't know how to end a long winded show. Damn.

Which brings me to Mobile Suit GUNDAM (It's entirety). Seasons One through Three so far. Still working my way through Judou's adventure in double Zeta. 10 episodes in, just after Zeta's finale between Sirocco and Camille. I'm trying to get through all of Gundam, all the way up to Unicorn OVA 4 before the calendar ends.

I gotta say there is a lot more to the original series then I though there would be. They only made it seem like Gundam was about the mechs. The Videogames the action figures as well as the super deformed stuff focused on the mobile suits. Never the stuff that keeps you watching.

So far It's got history, warring families, sci fi, mecha, soap, drama, lessons, Slice of life, horror, mystery, filler, action, teen angst, Heros, Villains, Spies, betrayal's twist's and double crosses. It's got just about everything. As well as the badass Char Aznable. I can't wait to get to a season with um, shinier artwork, my eyes are killing me.
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
So I just learned the hard way that CLAMP does not always produce gold. Tokyo Babylon is okay from the first half. Subaru is such a pushover so far and looks pretty homosexual (not that that's a bad thing Laughing). The character designs crack me up. I can't tell if the characters have the terrible eyebrows over the hair thing going on. (I checked, they don't) And what's up with Subaru's clinging leather sleeveless outfit? And the dubbing is pretty bad but the show is old. Thespoiler[ curse] is interesting enough, all the executives but one die is it a spoiler[curse or murder?] Dun dun dun. I'll definitely check out X/1999.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
I finished La Corda d'Oro on Friday (including the specials) on CR and thought was decent, at least more than I originally thought. The story is about music and although I'm not a big fan or all into the genre, I did enjoy the theme of the story. And of course, Hino being the lucky or maybe not so lucky girl of the series, is the star of the show. She meets other talented students at the academy and through unexpected encounter with the supernatural gains the ability to play a violin at an extraordinary level.

Although labeled as a "romance" genre, the series is more into the drama side and focuses more on friendship, conflicts, and enduring the hard struggles of becoming a violist and what it is like to have real talent.

The other characters are also quite interesting with various personalities. My favorite would definitely be Len for his personality, determination, and that badass attitude Smile. The others are just alright although I don't like that two-faced Yuniko much. The animation, artwork, and style are average but it's what the music and rhythm that shined. Unfortunately though, the ending was kinda "meh" for me as I didn't like the direction of it. I was hoping that the special episodes after the main series will cover more but it seemed to be just ordinary.

Still though...the series was worth my time.

Hmm, over this weekend, I watched Kare Kano/His and Her Circumstances after being holding it on for ages. As one of the older series, the animation is not top notch. In fact, in some of the later episodes, it seems that the artists just got bored of it altogether LOL. (spoiler[especially in episode 19])

This is also one of the rare romance series that I've seen where the main guy and girl got together as a couple and had a long relationship that expanded many episodes from the beginning despite obstacles, drawbacks, and other characters.

The series has a ton of comedy and drama with more comedy on the side of as the episodes progresses. There were also some...well, unfortunate recap episodes as well as an ending that I did not enjoy. The comedy side of the series also seems to be more focused far more than the romance, which was one of the drawbacks I disliked. Despite this though, it is the characters that I found appealing in the story especially Yukino.

For a series of the late 1990s, this series is not bad at all especially if you're a fan of shoujo style works. Now, I might give the manga a try in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
The manga of Kare Kano goes so much further than the anime. Definitely check it out if you enjoyed the anime as it delves into so much more detail about the characters' pasts.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
The manga of Kare Kano goes so much further than the anime. Definitely check it out if you enjoyed the anime as it delves into so much more detail about the characters' pasts.

Alright, thanks for that info Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 701 of 1061