• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I just started Reborn! two days ago and I've been loving it. I'm only on episode 20 but I'm hooked. I plan to pick up the manga after I finish the anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I got the dvd, and watched Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions, watched it this time in English with my brother, made a bit awkward with the early bathing scenes, and having to explain the flat chest thing. I was not as annoyed with the narrator as I was before, perhaps it has something to do with only listening, and not trying to read two sets of subtitles, and feeling like hearing them was not really necessary anyway. I liked how Ryoko was voiced by Brina Palencia, who did Hideyoshi in Baka Test, which worked well with Ryoko's manly traits. I loved it just as much the second time around, as I did the first, and I still hold the characters in high regard. Made me very happy to see my brother also enjoy it.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
I finally broke down and started watching Madoka Magica. I'm on episode 9 right now and even though I really need to get to bed, I'll probably end up finishing it tonight, it's so addicting. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm really not one for series as cynical as this one so at this point I don't know if it'll end up being a favorite, but it really is as good as people say! The art style is gorgeous. I love it so much! I wasn't sure about the characters at first, but now I can honestly say I love every one of them. Kyoko's my favorite right now, and I started out absolutely hating her! All the revelations in episode 8 were so well-done, I'm still reeling from them. Didn't see them coming at all, even though I've been spoiled a bit.
Kyoyafangirl445

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Started rewatching Honey and Clover yesterday. This is one of my favorite series and now that I finally own all three box sets, I'm going to rewatch it. I'm also about halfway through Boys Be... and I'm finding it to be okay so far. Nothing really stands out in it but nothing is really terrible in it either. I feel like it's the kind of show that I can watch to pass the time when I'm bored or have nothing else to do.
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up Ghost Hound. I really wanted this one to hit it out of the park, but it never really came together for me. The combination of science and spirituality comes of stale, and nowhere near as involving as it should be. Unfortunatley nothing of any importance is ever really done with it.

The tone of the series is mostly stuck in a confused state, with the ridiculously looking spoiler[bubble-heads] being capable of instantly syphoning my ability to take the show seriously. Ghost Hound wants to be Serial Experiments Lain, but it also wants to be a more typical coming of a age tale. In this case, the two sides are unable to reconcile.

Some very interesting -- and sometimes disturbing -- things are done early on that set my expectations a little too high. I'll be rating Ghost Hound as very good for those fantastic moments, and for the seriously out of this world use of sound.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I watched the Gurren Lagann compilation movies, and they were surprisingly good for being complete recaps. I've found most compilation movies to be confusing, either trying to cram in every detail or leaving way too much out, but Childhood's End and The Lights in the Sky Are Stars did a good balancing act. Not to say that the two movies can replace the series. They do cover the whole series, but inevitably there are things rushed and left out when you compress a 27-ep series into 4 hours (unless the original series was incredibly slow, which Gurren Lagann is anything but). Some very minor events were changed in the movies, like Rossiu spoiler[tried to kill himself on the moon spaceship instead of going back to his village to pull the trigger], and a couple other small details. Nothing big, although the way they did that scene with Rossiu changed the feel of it a bit, since spoiler[Simon wasn't the one to punch Rossiu, Kinon* was].

I also watched My Neighbor Totoro for a second time, this time with my sister to see if I could convert her. It seems to have worked a little too well. She is now obsessed with it, and is ordering a totoro hat that looks like this one.

*I couldn't remember her name, so I googled 'Gurren Lagann Rossiu's girlfriend'. GAH what is up with all the genderswap and crossdressing results??? I can't erase the image of Rossiu in a Jasmine (from Aladdin) costume from my mind.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm finishing the two series I've been following this season, and I added a new one from a few years back.

Fate/Zero is ending on a high note. This is probably the second best anime I've seen this year (Madoka pwns it), and I'm looking forward to marathon the whole thing when it's done. I should note that Niconico's translation improved for the second season (Japanese to spanish), the first one was often worse than fansubs.

Bodacious Space Pirates was an emotional letdown. It started out as a great, high-spirited sci-fi show. But then, my interest went down a lot, since the anime is lacking any significant story-arc. For most of its run, BSP was a safe series to watch, with very little drama and full of pretty girls. With that said, the latest episodes are turning out to be the best of the whole bunch with a real story in there, so it won't be a series I regret watching after all.

As of lately, I've started marathoning Black Lagoon with a friend, up to ep 10 of the first season. And well, it seems after all these years hearing about it, I wasn't really missing a thing. The series is pure action with little to no sense, ok characters and an art style that reminds me of Hellsing. But the latter series (OVAS) were superior, imo. BL it's not boring, but isn't amazing either.

Edit: My 100th post!! Wooohoo! =D
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Watching the Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan: Demon Capital and I've seen 6 episodes so far. The first arc which took place in the past was magnificent. Felt a lot more darker than the 1st season. Also feels like the production values are higher, atleast the action looks better. Right of the bat they introduced a lot of new characters, but they all seem very interesting. I wanted to see more of the past Nurarihyon. The new arc doesn't seem as interesting, though I do like that they aren't fooling around with fillers and are going straight into the next arc. Pacing has been pretty wild compared to the first season, which is good but it will probably settle down
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Finished Brave 10 via Crunchyroll. It was entertaining, and fit nicely into twelve episodes. Anything upwards of that would have been too long. I like that little time was spent on character intros. During the first three-four episodes we are introduced to half of the ten warriors. The other half is quickly filled in. And everyone gets their moment to shine, naturally. Isanami (the priestess/shrine maiden) is too cute for her own good. And Saizo has been added to my list of best looking male characters. Together their dynamic is very endearing. I have to say they are one of the best non-couple couples. I just wish the story would have been more about the warring states than the conflicts the warriors have with each other. And way less focus on Isanami, although without the plot twist involving her character, she would have been close to useless. She's pretty much that way in any case. Only capable of calling out Saizo's name a hundred times (which we all know is poor writing). Fluffy popcorn style entertainment, with some bishounen thrown in for good measure. Overall it was good.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Isanami (the priestess/shrine maiden) is too cute for her own good.

Heh-heh. You seem to have a thing for blue-haired girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Isanami (the priestess/shrine maiden) is too cute for her own good.

Heh-heh. You seem to have a thing for blue-haired girls.

Smarta** Razz In all seriousness, my husband had to point out that she was blue haired before I noticed. I thought her hair was silver. Embarassed
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Been watching Slayers NEXT and just loving the characters, and I surprisingly like Martina. Not usually a fan of those types, but Rachael Lillis brings it out well. Storyline not as strong as the first, but its alright though.
dante120

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Brave 10 was definitely one of the biggest letdowns of this year...it ended way too short and I wanted to see them get into it with the rest of the sengoku era.

one piece I finally bit the bullet and started watching it after putting it off for years but i'm HOOOOOKED. Cant stop watching once the jokes and mishap ensue.

hunter x hunter Love the new interpretation because after the previous OVA's I definitely left with urge for more especially after I got caught up with the manga Very Happy

saint seiya omega HUUUGE fan of the franchise but this 1 is seriously killing me with the retardedness of the characters and the lack of awesome in gold saints....AKA their all douches Sad.

Gundam Age becoming a serious letdown with the less than adequate depth this serious has taken. seems like with every new interpretation, it becomes more predicatable to see what the plots churn out to be and use as an excuse to bust out model kits :/

Vampire Princess Miyu Stopped watching this plot/ep show after the 7th because it was literally a less than amusing version of Supernatural. :/

seirei no moribito had amazing quality of animation but the story just lacked the depth i was hoping.

naruto shippuden suuuuper excited about the best battles of this entire show starting!!! the dead kage's vs the living ones muahahaha Very Happy.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Finished Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan: Demon Capital and rated it very good. This anime really proves something by showing how useless the school friends of Rikuo really are. They almost completely ignored the existance of Kana Ienaga and her friends and focused completely on the plot and action. It didn't waste time on useless fillers and kept storming on. Also really liked the first 5 episodes (Past Arc), which had a lot darker tone and worked as a kind of prequel.

This is how sequel should be done. The beginning of the first season should be used to familiarize us with the setting and characters. Many sequels do the mistake of reintroducing the characters and setting by making the characters do boring everyday stuff or something similiar. The ending was a bit dissapointing but better than I thought it might be.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I felt in the mood to start watching Inuyasha Final Act tonight, so that's what I'm doing. I do have a certain fondness for Inuyasha and it's nice to see that Final Act is trying to continue where the previous series left off. I find this kind of show quite easy to marathon, so I should get through it quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 702 of 1062