• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'm currently two episodes into AnoHana after having managed to not watch an episode for several days after getting it. It seems my initial impulse after seeing NISA's trailer was correct - it's definitely shaping up to be worth every penny even before getting into the artbook.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
While many fans are watching the new stuff, I took a trip back in time to revisit Full Metal Panic.

Ah, one of my favorite tsundere. Of course, we certainly can't forget Tessa, now can we.

Tonight, I'll be watching Ghost Hunt again.

Why no new stuff? Because I marathon stuff and I find the approach of having to wait a week to watch things a stupid idea that's long past its prime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
*Considering to watch Queen's Rebellion or Kuroko no Basket next although unlikely due to the increased volume of summer titles I've been watching.

Definitely Kuroko no Basket. It may just be the most incredibly unreasonable and awesome show. Ever. Think of Fist of the North Star leves of tough and manly and....awesome.

Thanks, I'll take consideration into that Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Why no new stuff? Because I marathon stuff and I find the approach of having to wait a week to watch things a stupid idea that's long past its prime.

That's sort of where I'm at now, Mesonoxian Eve. I started watching Major at the end of the Winter season but the full slate of Spring shows completely overwhelmed me and I'm switching back to marathon mode mostly. Starting up with Major again this week. I stopped it in such a prime spot too, the little league team taking on the adult community team.

I will watch a few current shows though. mostly episodic stuff, I'm just too tired of trying to keep track of a dozen continuing stories over 13 weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
I watched Sound of the Sky (Soranowoto) and found it likable even though I'm not a fan of slice of life. One thing running through my head the entire time was the main character's (Kanata) hair. She has a Lain-style hair cut except the unevenness is more pronounced, and throughout the entire show I really wanted to take a pair of scissors to that out-of-place fascicle of hair. It was very distracting Anime hyper. The only time I've seen that kind of hair cut work is on Lain herself.

I liked the first episode. It was a little different than I was expecting, spending more time going into the legend of the fire maidens than I expected. And when she fell in the water and saw the skeleton, I thought I might have a pretty cool show on my hands. I have to say, I'm a sucker for shows that involve some kind of legends or myths.
What I was also a sucker for is the element of disparity of technology. In the military base Kanata is assigned to there is only a single phone, one of those old rotary dial phones. No cell phones or computers, but they have modern rifles and handguns, and one futuristic tank.

In the beginning of the show I was kind of rolling my eyes at the premise. A clumsy, naive, incompetent but good-hearted girl signs up with the military and is assigned to an important border base. On top of that, she is a bugler, one who communicates with other friendlies through signals blown on a horn, yet she can hardly play a single note. And they let her graduate basic training? A reason for this is never outrightly said, but once you get into the series you can easily rationalize this. Their country, Helvetia, has been at war since before the protagonist was born: an all out it's-you-or-me war. Only half a year ago was a tenuous peace reached. With the population declining, the military'd probably take anyone they could get.
The majority of the series details everyday activities of the 5 female soldiers, and for me was slow. There was enough funny parts to keep it from getting outright boring (like when Kanata and 2 others were forced to hike wearing incredibly heavy packs) but it was close.

The last 2 episodes (not including the OVA) were surprisingly serious. That kind of twist was what I had been wanting from the series the entire time, but the change was a little sudden. I loved what they did with Noel in these last couple eps. That was probably my fav part of the series. While Filicia's sad background felt contrived to me and thrown in just to make her more moe, Noel's background and PTSD explained quite a bit about her behavior and changed her from my 2nd least favorite character to my favorite of this series. Noel is the token stoic and emotionless girl that so many series throw in. Unsurprisingly, she works with machines, rarely smiles, and is very smart, your basic stoic-girl. But when we learn about her past as spoiler[The Witch of Helvetia and her involvement with The Invisible Reaper, she became a real character to me. Her hatred for herself and what she did explains why she is quiet and emotionless when it seems she used to be happy and expressive.] Her desire to atone for what she did by nursing spoiler[Aisha and the scene where Aisha forgives her] was very powerful.

I have nitpicks about the ending, but overall it fit with the rest of the series with its 'everything will work out' attitude. Even though this is a show about a soldier and war, I wouldn't recommend it to fans of those themes. This was a decent show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow Tris8, did you just write an entire post about SoRaNoWoTo without mentioning K-ON!?
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Lol. I've heard it compared to K-ON! a lot, and saw the "SoRaNoWoTo is not military K-ON!" thread, but I've only seen 1 ep of K-ON! (not even the 1st ep at that) so I don't have a very solid foundation to compare them myself. There are similarities in character design but story wise they seem pretty different.
WEL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Slam Dunk because I remember watching some episodes when I was a kid and liked it. And since I hate 85% of current anime and is summer then you know... The series is fun but very repetitive. The animation is as bad as it gets though....

The entire series doesn't amount to anything since it ends when the best part is about to come but it was all worth watching just for episode 93 when Hanamichi learns how to throw a ball to the basket. Almost 100 episodes and that's when they finally start to train him for real and the series ends. lol

I've been looking around for what to watch next but I don't know what to watch... I feel like watching another sport anime but I have already seen Hajime no Ippo and I don't like soccer.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wow Tris8, did you just write an entire post about SoRaNoWoTo without mentioning K-ON!?

These two shows only have one thing in common: they're both slice-of-life. After that, well, let's just say some people's opinions just aren't worth reading.

And speaking of worthless opinions, here's mine. I just watched the first episode of Ghost Hunt and I gotta say, for the cheap art the series uses, it sure does tell an effective story. I mean, I've lost count the number of times I've seen this, but it's yet to bore me.

Then again, perhaps it's just K-ON! fighting spirits. Rolling Eyes
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Lol. I've heard it compared to K-ON! a lot, and saw the "SoRaNoWoTo is not military K-ON!" thread, but I've only seen 1 ep of K-ON! (not even the 1st ep at that) so I don't have a very solid foundation to compare them myself. There are similarities in character design but story wise they seem pretty different.
Aside from some similarity in character designs, I think the shows don't have that much in common. Sora no Woto has a more serious and somber (relatively speaking) tone than the more comedic K-on. Both shows are relaxing in their own way, though.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
You know, it occurs to me that I haven't watched any anime in a good month or two. Namely because I've been A) back on Netflix and watching a ton of western stuff and B) hooked on Xenoblade Chronicles. Anyway...

I finally got to Trigun: Badlands Rumble. It's a surprisingly mixed bag with some nice highs and some disappointing lows.

This movie mostly looks good. A lot nicer than the TV series. I don't know though. Call me crazy but I'll take the old school arse looking animation over this modern CG. It just looks so fake and doesn't blend in at all with the rest of the show. The first half is also rather draggy. Too much time is spent watching the various characters from the show just basically repeat their wacky antics that we've already seen in the show. It's still mildly entertaining but feels redundant. I also have to wonder why the insurance girls are even in this movie. They really don't factor into the plot and leave before the finale. They're fun characters for sure and we get a cute scene or two out of it but I can't help but feel like this movie could have been a tighter and better paced experience without them. The movie also suffers from one of the classic problems of this kind of spinoff movie: It's constrained by the continuity of the series. A major plot point late in the film involves Vash spoiler[seemingly dying but obviously anyone who's seem the series knows this can't be the case. Hence, the whole thing loses it's impact and you're just left waiting for him to make his inevitable return.]

As is the formula for movie spin offs of shows, we're introduced to our requisite two new characters, a villain and a good guy with some connection to said villain. This is really what makes and breaks the movie. The prior is pretty dull and unfortunately the writers don't seem to realize this. He gets a relatively large amount of screen time. It's generally a drag. That said, the other new character, Amelia, really knocks it out of the park. She's really quite well done and has a lot of very poignant scenes. I like her relationship with Vash as well. She raises some interesting questions about Vash's principles that the TV show (great as it may be) never really explored. It's really good stuff. Like the villain, she also gets a whole lot of screen time (she's as much the main character as Vash really) but in this case the movie is better for it. She certainly turns what might have been a mildly disappointing experience into a rather memorable (if still flawed) one.

I also watch a couple episodes of Shiki and a couple of Fujiko Mine. Shiki continues to be solid. I'm enjoying it. Fujiko continues to be weird in a mostly entertaining way. It's still not really doing much in terms of story or character and as such it's not really capable of sustaining my interest for more than an episode at a time but it's still unique enough and visually entertaining enough that I keep pecking away at it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
And speaking of worthless opinions, here's mine. I just watched the first episode of Ghost Hunt and I gotta say, for the cheap art the series uses, it sure does tell an effective story. I mean, I've lost count the number of times I've seen this, but it's yet to bore me.

Then again, perhaps it's just K-ON! fighting spirits. Rolling Eyes

By chance I got Ghost Hunt recently, I got 20% off for EOFYS, and I thought it was about time for me to get it. Part of my plan was to show my 10 year old brother, and seems to have enjoyed, even if saying that he found the doll creepy. My sister (who has already seen it) tried to talk me out of it, but I told him that the only was to watch it at night. One of the most interesting things about the dub was the chosen accent for John Brown, because he was supposed to have a comedic kansai accent, so they overemphasized an Australian in the dub. As an australian it comes off kind of weird. But I am waiting for the second half, I ordered it in when I bought the first collection, just need collection 2.

Also realised that I had only watched the first OVA of .hack//Quantum, so I watched the other two, it explained why I thought it was so incomplete.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Iron Man.While it wasn't as bad as some have said, it wasn't exactly good either. The story had a lot of silly elements that just didn't work for me. For one thing, I never felt like spoiler[Yinsen's change into a terrorist] was adequately justified. It's a shame because the show looks really good. I can't complain too much though, because I found the show for about 14 bucks at a grocery store of all places. I also bought X-men, which I don't have high hopes for now.
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Last night my husband marathoned High School of the Dead. I half watched it, since I'd already seen the more famous clips from the show. It varied from poor to downright terrible. The dub was atrocious, furthering Steven Foster's shaky reputation. One thing I didn't find too bad about the extensive re-write was the inclusion of swearing. Personally, I think dumb high school kids (boys in particular) would be talking just like that. But that's neither here nor there. The story itself could have used more time spent on the zombie plague and less on boobs. The episode where the little girl's spoiler[father is killed outright is dark.] If the show could have stayed with that plot it might have made a very interesting commentary on humans and survival. As it is, the show just can't be taken seriously when breasts jiggle and panties are flashed in every shot.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently mucking my way through the Bount arc of Bleach. It's basically the set that was next in line, so while I don't particularly care for this filler arc, it must be watched. Incidentally, this is about where I dropped the fansubs of Bleach, since I think it was right around this time that Viz licensed it for DVD release. So, I guess other than the fact that I've read the manga way past this particular area (not meaning this arc, since I know it's pure filler) the next several sets when I get to them won't be new, per say, but it'll be the first time I've seen them animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 705 of 1062