• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Some other thoughts I had; since Hellywood contains spoiler[a machine that can go through time, or possibly dimensions, why didn't Hamdo just pillage water from Shu's world? They must have seen how lush that world was.]

I think that this has occurred to everybody who has watched the series. It's hard to deny that it's a hole in the story. I've just never seen it as worth my time not to wink past it.

Hamdo was paranoid, but at the same time knew he was top dog in his world. spoiler[Maybe leaving the relative security of that world, even if only briefly, to try to steal water in one where more powerful forces may be his undoing was too much for him to contemplate?]

Wow, it's been long enough since I've seen the show that my memories of some of it are getting fuzzy. It's a hard one to really want to watch again, though.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Tari Tari, and I might start watching Kokoro Connect. I wanted to get some feedback about the latter before I start watching, but will probably just wait and see what people are saying once I get back from Africa in about a month.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I just started watching Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I really like it so far. I'm a sucker for slice of life, dramatic, romance stuff. Anyway, there is just something about Rokka that is so lovely to me. I don't know what it is. I'm not one for short hair, but she is so beautiful.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm really loving the magical realism vibes from Natsuyuki Rendezvous. There's this ghost hanging around the shop, but the main character just sort of runs with it. He's more concerned with the ghost's interference in his love life than the absurdity of it all.
Tari Tari is basically the spiritual successor to Hanasaku Iroha; I was really excited when I heard about an anime premised on choral music, but we've only really heard one song so far. Hopefully we get some more singing soon, but I'll keep watching regardless.

I think I'm going to do a marathon of an Niotamina show (probably Anohana) before I leave Thursday. I'm completely okay with the fact that aside from Fairy Tail, all of the anime and manga I'm consuming right now is dramatic slice of life; ghosts notwithstanding.
KoroneAkihara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I just got done watching Chaos;HEAd Shocked and High School DxD Mr. Green
I'm looking for something new, thinking of checking out Steins;Gate
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
My "retro" anime viewing continues! This past weekend, I threw in Nanoha and this still remains the best magical girl show I've ever seen.

I especially love Nanoha A's. The Book of Shadows storyline is very well written and the engagement of all the characters makes me smile every time. The scene where the Knights, Nanoha, and Fate meet in the hospital room and discover the master is awesome, especially when Nanoha asks Signum if it's okay for them to be there. Makes me want to cry. Razz

Finishing this, I rummaged through my collection and remembered I had UFO Valkyrie. I thought, "Hey, I haven't seen this in a while!" and by episode 2, I remembered why.

It's not a bad series, but at the same time, it's a "bad" series. I did muster to get through the first 12 episodes, but I had to stop. I wasn't ready to continue the marathon of it, because even campy has its limits. Make no mistake: this series is campy and it's by design. Hence, "bad" series.

Still, I did find myself entertained enough to get as far as I did. I'll probably finish it out next weekend.

But before this happens, I'll have to finish Ergo Proxy. Damn, talk about a great series. One of these days, I'll actually sit down and watch it for its story, but it's really hard when such scenery begs the mind to start wandering off into thoughts like "Will we destroy ourselves?" and "OMFG! The memories Pino will carry forever!" Spooky and exciting stuff.

I'm on disk four, but I'm stopping her for the night. Sadly, I must get up in the morning and trudge my daily routine of going to work. Yuck. Someone want to take my place so I can watch anime?

I didn't think so. Oh well. Enjoy your time off before you regret it.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I REALLY like it so far. But I'm a sucker for these type of stories, even if the male character is a bit trite.
Rathchet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching Higurashi No Naku Koroni Kai last night. I was really disappointed that the voices weren't dubbed in english though. Are Siren Visual not dubbing their anime anymore or something because the first season of Higurashi was.
Anyway i can't wait to watch some more when i get home tonight Very Happy
Akaoni21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Currently im watching Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! because apparently the show is chock-a-block with "Bitches". (Im sold)

And anon recommended it with this fine quote:~ "Show is so boring and shit." and "how these boring virgin girls are bitches I have no idea. They arent any different to the girls in every other shitty harem show like this."

How could I not want to watch it after reading that? Besides I've heard that his mother is fine too! Embarassed
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching some One Piece. I'm watching the Funimation dub and I'm in the 130's right now. I quite enjoy the show, but I'm in a very fillery section right now and its still entertaining, but not as MUST WATCH as it was during the Albasta arc.

Also trying to catch up on the new HunterxHunter series.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
I am watching the third episode of Kokoro Connect and thus far I have not been let down. In fact, I'd go on to say that this is how I like my anime -- about characters interacting with other characters, experiencing growth and becoming better people.

There are some rather touchy topics that it goes into (rape, for starters), but I can appreciate that these are characters dealing with issues in the way that they know rather than talking heads for ideas -- that is, they don't have the best answers to things around them, but they act like people.

I'm a bit worried that it might turn into a sapfest, but since I'm watching it on a weekly basis as it airs and not as a marathon, I don't think I'm going to be overwhelmed.

If you like dramedies and don't mind that it involves teenagers in school, don't miss out on Kokoro Connect. I have a strong aversion to the whole 'schoolgirl stories' thing that is usually thinly masked fetish fodder, but Kokoro Connect gives a reasonable amount of dignity to the characters. I'm glad I didn't pass this because of the premise.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
Rathchet wrote:
Just started watching Higurashi No Naku Koroni Kai last night. I was really disappointed that the voices weren't dubbed in english though. Are Siren Visual not dubbing their anime anymore or something because the first season of Higurashi was.
Anyway i can't wait to watch some more when i get home tonight Very Happy

You should actually be grateful. Australia, thanks to Siren Visual, is the only English speaking country that's getting the second season at all.

Neither of the Australian distributors - Siren and Madman - do their own dubs. They buy the rights to overseas produced dubs where available. The dub for the first season was done in the US by Bang Zoom! Entertainment for FUNimation who decided not to release the second season, presumably because the first season tanked. Thus, Siren didn't have access to a ready made dub for the second season. The Australian market is simply too small to warrant producing our own dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Finished up Ergo Proxy last night and I can't believe I forgot about that horrible, horrible ending.
Anime cry

No matter, I suppose. Overall, it's still awesome. I spent the remainder of my viewing trying to count the number of Blade Runner influences.

Heh.

Not sure what I'll be watching next. I think I've exhausted my retro viewing, though. As I perused my library, nothing screamed "Watch me again!".

It happens.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! Double post! Gads! Pfft. You people never say anything, so I'll take it from here.
Wink

Thumbing through my collection, I stumble upon My Bride is a Mermaid and quickly grab it from my shelf. Yeah, I forgot I even had it (that's what happens when you've 300+ titles in your collection).

I threw it in and it didn't take me long to start laughing again. This show is so damn stupid, but that's what makes the comedy that much more enjoyable.

The antics aren't what really make this series shine, but the quick one-liners you'll have to pay attention to, which are often muttered in the background. If those don't get you chuckling, the visuals often do the trick. I really enjoy the off-designs this series throws out and some of them are truly comedic.

Still, the best scene is when... and she turns into a mermaid... and father walk in... hand on butt drying it off.... LOL! *wipes tears again. Good stuff.

I'll be finishing this up tomorrow with the second half and am looking forward to laughing again.

It's a shame this title seems to have fallen under the radar. It's not as funny as (plug alert) Ramen Fighter Miki, but it's good enough I call it one of my favorite comedies.

Nighty night, you sea louse.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Okey dokey, now the intense stuff. Starting off with the jaw-dropping ep 6 scene where spoiler[Sara kills the man who almost rapes her.] Wow. That scene. Wow. The way spoiler[her eyes flicked so quickly when she was taken to the man's room...] I've never seen anything like it in anime. It left me numb and didn't truly hit me until she spoiler[escaped into the desert and cut her hair.] Anime cry There are few shows where I've wanted as badly as this one to be able to jump into the story and change a character's fate.

That scene is one of the most intense I've ever seen. I still remember feeling a shock run through my body the first time I saw it and experiencing a deep realization of just what Sarah had suffered through. It's one of the most extraordinary sequences that I've ever seen animated.

If I could change Now and Then, Here and There, I would make Sarah the lead, not Shu. Sarah seemed like a much stronger, more human and interesting character to me. Shu's all right, whatever I might have against him isn't enough to make the series stop being one of my all-time favorites, but the fact that Sarah had endure more and grow more as a person makes her seem more compelling and believable to me. It seemed like her hardships, choices and feelings mattered in a way that Shu's didn't.
Yes!! Shu always felt a little one-dimensional to me, and the fact that he hasn't changed by the end is one of the series' strengths and a big weakness. Sarah goes through extraordinary ordeals, yet she is able to make the choice she does at the end because of her amazing inner strength and compassion. I agree with you that she might have made a better MC.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Did you remember to look out for the preview for episode thirteen?
I most certainly did. Wink It was interesting. Having the main child characters spoiler[positioned together as if for a family photo, and everyone looking happy and relaxed.] To be completely honest I don't understand the significance of this, though I did find it noteworthy that spoiler[Sara and the other soldier boys were shown together, though they didn't know each other.]

Surrender Artist wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Some other thoughts I had; since Hellywood contains spoiler[a machine that can go through time, or possibly dimensions, why didn't Hamdo just pillage water from Shu's world? They must have seen how lush that world was.]

I think that this has occurred to everybody who has watched the series. It's hard to deny that it's a hole in the story. I've just never seen it as worth my time not to wink past it.
I see. It doesn't really matter to the themes of the story so I guess I'll just assume they couldn't for whatever reason.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
And in the very beginning when LaLa-Ru is being kidnapped, why didn't she spoiler[blast them with water and escape? That would have been easy for her. Instead, she asked a complete stranger child for help against giant war machines. I honestly don't get that.]

I think that Lala Ru was unwilling to release it unless absolutely necessary or worthwhile and while her circumstances were desperate, I think she could sure that Hamdo wouldn't kill her because only she could control the reservoir, so using the water might not have seemed prudent. Besides, her own health seemed tied to the water, so she wouldn't have wanted to imperil it under uncertain circumstances.
Ah. I see. She could've escaped pretty much at any time she wanted, being able to control the reservoir, and because spoiler[it weakens her to use it she'd rather not if she didn't have to. And when she was escaping with Shu, before she had a chance to react he'd accidentally took her pendant and fallen away, eliminated her means of escape.] Thanks, that's cleared up =)

Surrender Artist wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
And doesn't spoiler[the giant war machine that is Hellywood run on water?? Isn't it a very bad idea to release the reservoir and give it what looks like an unlimited supply of fuel? If they thought the wars were bad before they're gonna be absolutely terrible now, even with Hamdo dead.]

Enough water would have 'saved' Hellywood, but too much of it overwhelmed and destroyed it. There's a dramatic irony to it.
Oh, didn't catch that the first time around. That is pretty ironic, and even more so considering spoiler[the same thing applies to Hamdo. That probably is not an accident it turned out that way....]

ManOfRust wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

Hamdo was paranoid, but at the same time knew he was top dog in his world. spoiler[Maybe leaving the relative security of that world, even if only briefly, to try to steal water in one where more powerful forces may be his undoing was too much for him to contemplate?]
That is a pretty good theory. Hamdo is arrogant and foolish, but also fearful so I could see that.

I finished Tsuritama today, and it was a fun ridiculous comedy. Very entertaining, rife with clear ocean blues and other bright colors. This is just a silly show that knows it's silly which made me want to smile. It's got a minor plot hole near the end, and I don't remember ever hearing an explanation for spoiler[the legendary fish starting to take control of humans again. Why now, what caused it?] But that stuff isn't a big deal. As a great man once said "Throw away your logic and kick reason to the curb!" Very Happy Okay, this series isn't nearly as epic as Gurren Lagann (or quite as funny imo), but it does what I consider to be impressive. It makes watching someone learn how to fish entertaining and interesting. Who knew that was possible? And on top of that, there are some heart-warming moments too. Most involving Keito, the MC's grandmother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 710 of 1062