• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
I just tried to watch Highschool DxD, and while it had some interesting premises, I just can't watch something that echii and take it seriously. Also, I just hate it when they make a female characters tits unrealistically big. They aren't attractive... just distracting. I don't even mind the nudity, a lot of echii series just come off as trying to hard for me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
I finished Silent Mobius TV series yesterday. My reason for purchasing this series in the first place was that I remembered seeing it on TechTV way back in the day. And I could remember the episode where Yuki spoiler[travels back in time] (which, from what I've seen in "what anime is this?" threads is statistically the only random episode of this people seem to have seen on TV and remember, lol). So yeah, I wasn't sure how much nostalgia might factor into this.
But it kinda didn't, I remember seeing it on TV and that one episode, and of course the Bandai situation was what made me decide to jump on this. It's not as good as I hoped, but I am glad that I got it (for very cheap via Go Hastings might I add). So the story is some alien invasion of sorts and they kill humans, blah blah blah, you've kinda seen/heard of it before. Actually, the show doesn't try to become plot heavy until the last third. The rest of the time, it's just developing its cast and characters. And I don't mind because that's where it really shines. I liked all the characters and I liked learning new things about them because the character focused episodes were quite good. I think the series sometimes forgot random things though, like Nami got a haircut like a third into the series. For the next few episodes, sometimes she had shorter hair, sometimes she didn't. Eventually they just went "screw it" and only drew her with long hair. I would say this was more of a problem with the animation, certainly a noticeable one. I dunno, it was the 90s and it was cel animated, maybe they just decided to reuse a lot of long haired cels or something.
But I think for people who just want an enjoyable cast of characters in a semi-apocalyptic world, it's a pretty sweet show. Oh except for the ending, it's like it ended right before the final battle. I guess at least it completed the arc it was on so it didn't feel like a huge cliffhanger, but it probably caught up to the manga so the overall story was left incomplete. I would love to see a movie made now to complete that out (why the hell did they make movies before when the manga was first starting out?!) But the ending wouldn't stop me from recommending this either (I guess completing an arc counts for quite a good bit then)
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I recommend the following timeline:

http://khantazi.org/Rec/Anime/MuTimeline.html

There is a lot of guesswork and postulations in the first half of the time-line, but it should suffice to give you a general picture about what the heck is going on.

As you will notice, I had a few details either wrong or mixed up.

That is a great help, thanks a lot.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Re-watching Pom Poko (my husband's favorite Ghibli). Also tried to re-watch Saiyuki. Man, I forgot how terrible looking that show is. The animation is very poor, and even the character designs (although bishounen in style) aren't very consistent or attractive. The dub is pretty bad too. Lots of swearing added in (sometimes in places it obviously doesn't belong), not too mention some awkward phrasing. I'm not sure if I'll continue to the end.

Lastly, I'm blazing through Mezzo. I forgot how much I enjoy this show. It's mostly episodic, and covers everything from ghosts to aliens and androids to virtual reality. Fast paced, and lots of fun. The animation takes a few short cuts, but is fairly consistent. I like the opening and closing songs, and this dub is highly enjoyable (even though it's loosely translated at best).
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
though Sora in the opening is kind of annoying when she says "I gotta I gotta I gotta"
Oh, I like that a lot. It reminds me of the next episode previews for Magic User's Club.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the finale of Slayers Next. Lina and Goury have that type of relationship of romance that works. Its not direct or official, but just "clicks." Story came about well after the second half, so it was a solid series for me.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Now that CR's working for me again (so far, no freezes), I decided to start catching up on some series that have been piling up.

Starting out was Fate/Zero and, needless to say, I'm dropping this one. While I did manage to get to the 12th episode, it is the most boring anime I've seen in recent memory.

I'd be fine with long-winded dialogue if it meant it was crucial to the plot(s), but in this case, it's anything but. There were a couple of good scenes in the series, but sadly, no where near enough to justify a continuation of the remaining episodes.

One of those great scenes was the conversation between Rider and Saber on the definition of a king. Good retort, and Rider is clearly the star here.

I also don't like the notion there's a potential Saber will win this. Of course, it's not known, but I'm not garnering a strong appreciation better Servants will walk away the victor and Aniplex caters to those who've been buying body pillows and figures of Saber since Fate Stay/Night.

Following this was Squid Girl 2, and I must be off my rocker here. I could have sworn I've not seen this season, but as the episodes continued, I know I've seen them. I figured it was due to the typical cookie-cutter episodes I just plain forgot I had seen them.

No matter, I suppose. It's still a cute show, though I do wish I would have watched something new. By the time I gave up, it was too close to bed time to start a new series. I'll save that for tonight.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching subbed Dead Man Wonderland....and I don't even know why. Anime hyper What a f*cked up anime! This is
This is like one of those rare instances when I'm watching something and I can't say if I particularly like or hate it. I don't even know if I care about the characters. It's SO NOT a show that you'd ever find me watching on my own accord. Twisted, extremely violent stuff like this is the last thing on my "to-watch" list except for hentai.

But I can't seem to stop watching this show. I keep putting it on right before I go to bed!

I was spoiled on the biggest twist (THANK YOU FOR THE NO WARNING, WIKIPEDIA!!) Twisted Evil dealing with spoiler[Shiro's identity] and spoiler[I do think that's f*cking awesome in a f*cked up way. Anime hyper]

<EDIT>

I definitely care about Crow. I caught myself yelling "NU, DON'T KILL HIM!!" at the screen last night. Anime hyper
So.....to get that reaction from me....yes, I obviously must like him. Anime hyper
I like characters who are passionate about things (like fighting) but they don't throw away their morals.
His vulnerability to women's bodies is also rather cute. Anime hyper

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long day of anime. My family is all on vacation at the beach and I am at home on vacation from them, so I want to make the most of it.

The morning started off with finishing off Skull Man, which I am glad I only paid $6 for. I have actually read the manga, just a few months ago, and I mostly recall its amazing paneling, few other manga I can think of with paneling that incredible. The paneling was so good that I was willing to forgive some story hiccups. But I gotta say, the anime did not have that to fall back on. Ok, so let's say it's an alternate continuity, that's cool except that I got this yuck feeling at the end when the epilogue reared its head. I had to go online to see wtf was going on here and that's when I learned that the entire purpose was to serve as a prequel for Cyborg 009. Was that seriously the purpose of the whole damn thing? It certainly wasn't to actually adapt the manga because aside from the existence of a skull mask (not even used the same way), that was all it had in common with the manga. Ok, just to do an aside about that mask, spoiler[in the anime, it has its own sentience, and is, naturally, evil. In the manga, it's just the dude's mask, it's just an ordinary halloween mask for all intent purposes. There is nothing special about it because the user is the one out for revenge, he doesn't need some evil mask to tell him to kill people], that was kinda a big thing to change, but I guess that's why we'll call it alternate continuity? But ok then, what was the purpose of the anime? I kinda can't figure it out, I feel like the vast majority of the name dropping was designed for big fans of Shotaro Ishinomori works, and I've honestly not seen enough of them to have understood even a fraction of them. So I really spent most of the series confused, I think it was supposed to be a political sort of series with mostly mystery, but it really should've just focused on the mystery because I don't think it did the political stuff very well. Because I wasn't interested. A lot of people find Gasaraki to be like paint drying, and I'd be lying if I said I knew entirely what was going on at all times, but I was quite enthralled by the series anyway, and I can't say that for Skull Man.
Basically, I overall feel gyped, like I was duped into watching something only made for Ishinomori fans and whose entire purpose was to be a freakin' prequel. I would recommend this for Ishinomori fans, but odds are that most of us have not seen enough Ishinomori because everything of his that came over here is horribly out of print. I'd only rate it a 5 out of 10, I am rather disappoint.

But ok, then I broke for lunch or something, determined I had nothing else to do, and decided to finish Big Windup. See, I had been putting this off, but not because I didn't like set 1. No, it's because I knew set 2 was all that came out in America. But yeah, I do plan to watch the second season at some point. I also knew that I would probably marathon it because most of the first half was spent on one single game and the prep for a second and it was obvious that set 2 would be one big game. And I got what I expected, not to say that's a bad thing. 13 eps on the second set, and all but 2 were spent on the exact same freakin' game. But rather than being unbelievably boring, seeing all the strategy and internal monologues that goes into it makes it a lot of fun to watch. I could imagine falling asleep during a real game, but now I *almost* want to try watching a real one on TV because odds are I might understand some of it now. I probably won't, I'm totally lying to myself if I think I will, lol
I'm kinda pissed that season 2 won't be coming over (at least not via Funi, though I doubt anyone else would touch it), but I also understand why. I think all you have to like to enjoy this show is strategy and interesting team dynamic, and not care that it's for baseball. But then it's also about....baseball, and that's why I got it in a trade and it sat on my shelf for ages. It's damn intimidating, it's a sports anime, I get that sports are for everyone in Japan, but not a lot of nerds in America care about sports! But still, once I finally got up my nerve and started the series, I was quite glad. Even though the main is a total crybaby, it didn't annoy me as much as I thought, though it did get a bit grating towards the end, but not enough to kill a recommendation. I rate this one 8 out of 10, and then I remembered that the Liar Game guy did a baseball series, so I'll probably check that out next. I will not check out Cross Game, I read 5 volumes of the manga and hated it, but I think I gave it a fair enough chance.

And tomorrow my friend is coming over to hang out, and I think it might be fun to watch the Trigun: Badlands Rumble movie with her! So that will wait until tomorrow, in the meantime, I'm still debating if I should open the Blassreiter set I got at the same time as Trigun or return it and get a different SAVE series (they were $15...I had to get one, but I'm not 100% sure I got the best one I don't already own (I own Mushishi))
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I finished Silent Mobius TV series yesterday... I wasn't sure how much nostalgia might factor into this.
But it kinda didn't... Actually, the show doesn't try to become plot heavy until the last third. The rest of the time, it's just developing its cast and characters. And I don't mind because that's where it really shines. I liked all the characters and I liked learning new things about them because the character focused episodes were quite good....
But I think for people who just want an enjoyable cast of characters in a semi-apocalyptic world, it's a pretty sweet show.

I watched all of Silent Möbius that's been animated last September and I found that I quite liked the series. It's aesthetics and storytelling felt almost quaint, but in a comforting way. Maybe it's just because it's from the era when I began watching anime, but it's animation as well as its approach to storytelling and characterization just felt very comforting. I also thought that the relationships, especially the one between Kiddy, my favorite character, and Ralph, were surprisingly well-done.

Botan24 wrote:
Lastly, I'm blazing through Mezzo. I forgot how much I enjoy this show. It's mostly episodic, and covers everything from ghosts to aliens and androids to virtual reality. Fast paced, and lots of fun. The animation takes a few short cuts, but is fairly consistent. I like the opening and closing songs, and this dub is highly enjoyable (even though it's loosely translated at best).

I watched Mezzo DSA in tandem with Madlax, of all things, last summer and really enjoyed it. I really liked the English dub a lot. Luci Christian was a swell Mikura, but Andy McAvin as Kurokawa stole the show almost every time he showed up. I remember smiling, if not laughing, almost every other time he talked. It is a really fun series to watch. Mostly episodic, case-by-case set-ups like that need a lot of liveliness and engaging characters to keep my attention; Mezzo DSA pulled that off. Yasuomi Umetsu should really get more work.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I just re-visited Twelve Kingdoms yesterday, and I forgot how good it is. It has been quite a while since I last watched it(two-three years), and I've been eyeing it down for some time now, so I thought why not.
I think the first and most obvious thing to mention is the amazing spoiler[personal transformation that Youko experiences] throughout the anime. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure I call recall another character that goes through so many twist and turns before coming to some sort of personal finality.
spoiler[After she ascends the throne, the beginning of her rule as queen] really frustrates me, but not in a negative way. I just could not watch her spoiler[as she almost had a total relapse and reverted back to the Youko we first meet in episode one.] But when she makes the spoiler[declaration demoting everyone and deciding to live among the people to learn what is really going on in her kingdom,] I was almost moved to tears.
Hands down, my favourite arc is A Great Distance in the Wind, the Sky at Dawn. So much occurs and all of it so well timed and inter-linked. While I believe any arc adds to the overall flavour that is Twelve Kingdoms, the aforementioned arc does something special that the other arcs don't do. A certain 'Je ne sais quoi!!'
There is a lot more I can discuss on the anime, but I'll leave it at that I think. Twelve Kingdoms has always been one of my personal favourites, but now I have a renewed appreciation for the anime as a whole.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
I just re-visited Twelve Kingdoms yesterday, and I forgot how good it is. It has been quite a while since I last watched it(two-three years), and I've been eyeing it down for some time now, so I thought why not.
I think the first and most obvious thing to mention is the amazing spoiler[personal transformation that Youko experiences] throughout the anime. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure I call recall another character that goes through so many twist and turns before coming to some sort of personal finality.
spoiler[After she ascends the throne, the beginning of her rule as queen] really frustrates me, but not in a negative way. I just could not watch her spoiler[as she almost had a total relapse and reverted back to the Youko we first meet in episode one.] But when she makes the spoiler[declaration demoting everyone and deciding to live among the people to learn what is really going on in her kingdom,] I was almost moved to tears.
Hands down, my favourite arc is A Great Distance in the Wind, the Sky at Dawn. So much occurs and all of it so well timed and inter-linked. While I believe any arc adds to the overall flavour that is Twelve Kingdoms, the aforementioned arc does something special that the other arcs don't do. A certain 'Je ne sais quoi!!'
There is a lot more I can discuss on the anime, but I'll leave it at that I think. Twelve Kingdoms has always been one of my personal favourites, but now I have a renewed appreciation for the anime as a whole.

I just finished watching the series for the first time 2 days ago and wow, what a staggering epic. I'm kind of disappointed that it ended as it did, but only because I want to see more of it and also because I felt that the whole spoiler[arc with the Tai-ki living in Japan was not really resolved.] It is also a bummer that we didn't get to see more of Sugimoto since I think that she underwent a very satisfying transformation into an actually very likeable character.

But on to one of my personal highlights: Youko, Shouko and Suzu aka the "awesome team". It is rare for any fiction to not only tell such an interesting story of how 3 girls that do not know each other meet in this vast world but also to show them undergoing so much character development. I mean, think of the annoying spoiled child Shouko was. And Suzu, although not as terrible a person as Shouko, became such an awesome person over time. When the series ended, I was temporarily speechless as to how awesome these 3 girls had become.

Of course, 12 Kingdoms is far from only having 3 great characters but it would take far too long to talk about every single one. Great great stuff!
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I watched Mezzo DSA in tandem with Madlax, of all things, last summer and really enjoyed it.

Haven't seen any Mezzo but it is probably a fairly safe bet to say that next to Madlax, I'd be able to enjoy almost anything.

I've heard that Madlax gets better(isn't there always someone who says that for any title ever?) but by episode 5 I was about to kill myself. It's basically everything I didn't like about Noir made into a show minus the good soundtrack. F**k mysterious prophecy children bullshit and the annoying school girl with the stupid name.

God, just thinking about this show makes me angry.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
Glad to see people enjoying Mezzo. I fell in love with it on first viewing and re-watches still prove entertaining. I chuck this one up as another great blind-buy find.

I'm rather thankful for streaming, as it gives us the potential to watch an entire series before we decide to sink our money in it. Before this, we had to gamble on a series, and if it sucked, we were out $50. I don't know about you, but I abhor wasting my money in this manner.

This would have applied to Chu-bra, a series I started last night on Crunchyroll but dropped it after three episodes for its benign premise.

I'm not easily offended when it comes to anime, young girls, and panties but this show really pissed me off. It's not because the girls are in middle school and are flashing their undergarments at us. Nor is it because the anime was ugly.

No, this one's dropped after three episodes because it's stupid for a girl, in middle school, to start an Underwear Club and she looks for new recruits by asking them this question: "Would you like to join the Underwear Club?"

Let's step back a second here. Imagine if this girl came to you and asked the same question?

I'd be more open if the stupid idiot actually told people what the club was about, but instead, she acts so damn pathetic, it irritates me. I was actually rather impressed the club was about understanding garments, but this was quickly shelved as a purpose in episode three, when we're reminded these are budding girls whose breasts are sensitive to the touch yet are being treated as sex objects.

Fail. This series won't even get a grade because there's nothing low enough.

Changing series, I had almost forgotten about Moretsu Pirates (and no! I am not calling this series by that other idiotic name) so I fired it up. I managed to get to episode 8 before I had to retire for the day and I found myself enjoying it.

By "enjoying it", I'm comparing it to those days we sit and do nothing. It's not meant to be taken seriously, which is why I'm having fun with it.

Since this is a work in progress, I'll hold off on my overall opinion. I don't see myself dropping this one.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm still debating if I should open the Blassreiter set I got at the same time as Trigun or return it and get a different SAVE series (they were $15...I had to get one, but I'm not 100% sure I got the best one I don't already own (I own Mushishi))

I have no idea what your other choices were in stock, but I recommend returning it. Of course, as I look at the over-all ratings, people liked it a lot better than I did. It's one you can watch here so maybe catch an episode then decide. the art was good, I just didn't like the rest much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 715 of 1061