• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaydub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
kaydub wrote:
Also, Suou's spoiler[contractor transformation thing was like every time the main hero's Gundam appears in any Gundam series. Yeah, we get how fancy and cool it is, but you don't have to use the same animation every single time].

I thought it was closer to spoiler[a Magical Girl transformation sequence.]

You're probably right, haha. spoiler[I'm not too familiar with the magical girl genre anyways, so Gundam was the first thing that popped in my head.]. I'll go ahead and edit the original post so that it makes more sense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
I got Dream Eater Merry yesterday, and started watching some of it with my youngest brother, wicked show and I am watching it in the English language this time. I noticed a great deal of the dub including english voice actors that did the Clannad dub.

My older younger brother also bought Toradora, well at the least the first dozen episodes, so we are rewatching that, no english dub but the Japanese one is so good that it does not matter much.

And I got Black Rock Shooter anime sries today, which is what I was really looking forward to. I started to watch uit, but my youngest brother just decided that he wanted to continue with the show at the top. BRS does not seem to have a English Dub, but I just really want to watch it, in the thread of the show when I watched the show first that I was completly blown away and could not wait to watch it in its total beauty of a good tv screen, and the little bit I saw looked nice already. Got to watch it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And I got Black Rock Shooter anime sries today, which is what I was really looking forward to.

I'm impressed at how fast Siren managed to get this licensed and released. Good on them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
And I got Black Rock Shooter anime sries today, which is what I was really looking forward to.

I'm impressed at how fast Siren managed to get this licensed and released. Good on them.
I am too, I think a rewatch will also be good since there is definetly some things too look for once you find out things.

I also plan to get my sister to watch it too, she has been wearing a necklace of the series and had no idea what it was until I pointed out the "B★RS".

I also just noticed that Black Rock Shooter and Dream Eater Merry do share som surprising similarities.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
WAYWRN?: I'm watching Polar Bear Cafe.

Why?: Because, ANN did a stream review and I had to finally check it out. So yesterday I did, and before I knew it I had watched 10 ep. in one sitting at work. It's addictive and relaxing to say the least and genius. I mean who would have thought that all this time the world I live in was a lie. Never knew that animals had problems at work being animals. The crap they go through for our amusement. Never knew being a full-time panda is hard work.
Razz Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

WERYWN?: Now if I can just finish Puella Madoka Magica. I'm still trying to finish ep. 5 after watching 4 eps. straight. I like it so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Ok, I finished my rewatch of Black★Rock Shooter tv series (I went through the trouble of getting the star), and my rewatch of it was awesome, so good that I was willing to change my rating from "Very good" to being "Excellent". This time I was able fully enjoy the beautiful artwork, with seeing it in full the use of CGI feels so much in another world. I have a couple anime episodes to still watch of recent releases, and more tomorow, but I think I will watch the specials of how they did it, because I am such a fan of this series

As for the story, since this was a rewatch I knew what was comming of course, but this just opened up another avenue of seeing subtle hints, like spoiler[Strength not having a shadow]. And there is the emotional things, the psychological drama, it is the type of thing that I just love in this series, the same reason I have also enjoyed the recent Kokoro Connect. If you liked Kokoro Connect, and not watched this yet, WATCH IT! A second viewing also made the signs of each characters' problems more evident, and fun to watch. I found it very hard to not point out things to my brother, which helped him kind of see things comming, probably my bad.

Also another word, I think Siren Visual may have used the wrong blurb on the back of the DVD case, the description, is a bit more like the OAV, then the TV series. I have hopes the OAV will be released also, I would like to do another comparison, and the two are different enough that you get a different story.

P.S. Oh and just so this is clear, I doon't really love this series because I am a fan of the franchise or something, I still do not know a lot outside of these anime, and I love it for that.
P.S.S. Opening song is kickasss.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Finished up Votoms Phantom Arc. I'd watched it last year, but forgotten a bit about it. So it was good for a rewatch.

But its got a few problems. #1 it just feels to short and starved for time with just 6 episode. If Pailsen Files could get 12, why not his one?

#2 There is a major plot gap between episode 3 and 4 that made me wonder if I actually missed an entire episode somewhere. And some plot threads established in episodes 1 and 2 never get explained. Really sloppy.

But the animation was largely gorgeous (mecha CGI being integrated with 2D animation has come a long way) and the call backs were nice (though the return of Sophie was kinda pointless, as she never really resolves anything between herself and Chirico). And the ending was fitting. And still open for another sequel someday.

Now... on to Alone Again. My last stop on this crazy Votoms train.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
And... just finished Armored Trooper Votoms Alone Again. Have to say the series went out on a high note, it was much more tightly scripted/paced then Phantom Arc. And it tied up the few loose ends I was hoping it would. I was slightly disappointed that Teitania didn't quite as much face time as I'd hoped, as she's easily one of the most compelling characters in Votoms. But I think her character arc got a solid conclusion, and she got to be a total badass a couple more times.

I also really got to liking Stevia's character, who I was wondering why she got the camera lingering on her in the final moments of Phantom Arc. Now that makes sense.

So yeah. Votoms. A complete mixed bag of a mecha franchise. But one that will always rank as one of my favorites, up there with Macross.

Now I think its time to attempt Gundam... I've been holding back on tackling that franchise that for toooooo long.
Horde99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Just finished AKB0048, was unexpectedly good. Anyone know if a second season is coming?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
Horde99 wrote:
Just finished AKB0048, was unexpectedly good. Anyone know if a second season is coming?
Yeah it is surprisingly good. There was a news article that said that it will return next year.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-08-24/akb0048-next-stage-to-premiere-in-early-2013
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished Kaze no Yojimbo.
I was not thrilled at first. Firstly, the animation is a bit dated. But more importantly, the dub is not all that great. A few characters are just plainly annoying, and some lines sound hilarious (which I do not think is intended).

But then, as the plot went on, I got used to the animation thing they did (overlaying faces/silhouettes over the backgrounds as someone was having an internal monologue)

It annoyed me at first, since it interrupted the flow of the actions, but slowly it became less and less apparent.

The plot is quite interesting, and halfway through I got really addicted to it, but the ending was so disappointing. I do not know what exactly I expected, but it was such a mixture of clichés and disappointment. After a story that turned out surprisingly gripping, the end of a few characters was just... unconvincing, like for example spoiler[the mother's suicide].
At any rate, I graded it as good for what it offered before, although it would be cool to know where George learned all those martial arts if most of his life spoiler[he did 'what was expected of him'- go to college, get a sholarship, etc.].
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Kaiba. As I've had it in my queue for a while.

Seems like the perfect series for me. Quirky sci-fi, different then everything else, great art style. The first episode moved at a rather breakneck pace that seemed to leave a few gaps in character motivation. But it was so crazy I could live with it.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
New season has started! Woo!
Trying pretty much everything so far:
BTOOOM: A cross between Death Note and Gantz. The characters skew more in the Gantz direction in that you hate almost all of them...Production values are pretty good, but not amazing. Lots of pretty explosions. Will watch for at least a couple more eps.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai: Kyoani production values, so you know it's gorgeous. The characters are interesting, it has some of my favourite Seiyuu's in it (Fukuyama Jun for president, am I right?). This one I'll watch to completion.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Wow...I should have lowered my expectations. The characters were flat, the dialogue was stilted and the animation went from passable to awful. I know it's from the 80's but I was still expecting better. I'll watch at least a couple more because I've seen the style that practically drips from every pore in later chapters/clips. If you plan on checking this one out, keep your expectations low and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

K: Gorgeous...some crazy nice perspective on practically everything. The story could go either way, but it's got me interested so I'll be watching this one for sure.

Shinsekai Yori: Wasn't really on my radar, but it's atmospheric and interesting. Animation is serviceable and not unpleasant to look at. Kids with psychic powers has been done a fair amount but toss in apocalypse and it's a spicy gumbo of awesome. It's possible it could jump the shark, but I think this is going to be the dark horse of the season.

Little Busters: Haven't read the VN but everyone has heard of this one anyways. The first episode was interesting and most Key stuff starts off more on the comedic end of the spectrum so I doubt it'll be long before the water works start. One thing that bugged me, and doesn't usually. The main character is voiced by a woman (Yui Horie, who's incredibly talented) but there is no mistaking it's a woman and it's a little distracting. Definitely going to keep watching though.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Very by the books shoujo so far, but damn me if I don't have a big grin on my face the entire time I'm watching it. The characters are interesting even if they're fairly cliche with just the right amount of relatability between their perfection and vulnerability. Though that is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, every main male character in Shoujo is too perfect save for one defining flaw...where's the every man?! /end rant
Wasn't really expecting much from Tonari, but I'm hooked so far.

Zetsuen no Tempest: BONES! Just the kind of show Bones does well, grand in scope with interesting characters. Animation was jaw dropping. A bit heavy handed with some of the literary references, but I didn't mind. Definitely going to keep watching.

Whew...that was a lot.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Regardless, I like her, and the relationship between her and Souchi is amusing, sweet, and more than a little creepy.

I like her too. As for the ages of her and Souchi, she is fifteen and he is twenty-two. spoiler[And they are an official couple by the end of the series. Despite the age gap I do support them.]

It wasn't just the age gap that made it odd, it was also the rather stalkerish behavior of Souchi, plus his whole servile attitude. Despite that, having finished the show now and seen Souchi's past, I also support the pairing... with reservations. It's still a bit creepy, but also (somehow) kind of touching at the same time.

Definitely liked the show. It didn't get much love from ANN, and I think it was greatly underrated. I can see some of the complaints (Nobura was an annoying and pointless character, the series didn't have a clear focus and the supernatural elements had little overall impact), but the show's strengths made up for it. The strengths being pretty much every character aside from Nobura, and the relationships between them. In particular, Ririchiyo was awesome and the relationship between her and and Soushi was fascinating, but almost as enjoyable was Karuta and Watanuki and their relationship.

Another nice touch was how they had a bunch of different ending themes highlighting different characters. Some of those were quite hilarious, like Kage's. Also spoiler[if you read this spoiler tag, you're a masochist.]

But reading this tiny text means you're a sadist.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
I've gotten up through episode 4 of Kaiba. And I don't know what I was expecting out of this series, but its certainly been a trip. The closest thing I can compare it to is something Kino's Journey. Every episode is both heart warming and brutally tragic at the same time.

I'm certainly enjoying it. I wish it was licensed and on Blu-ray in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 727 of 1062