• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Living in Japan, I start the season by DVRing most everything broadcast in my town, and then trimming based on likes/time constraints.

Shows I record and keep:
* Space Brothers (love the characters, humor, and optimism)
* Hyouge-mono (weird show about a samurai obsessed with fine arts; interesting, and the old-fashioned language used is good practice)
* Bakuman (Hilarious, heartbreaking, educational, and fun--though yes, the romantic promise aspect is dippy)

Oddly, I haven't actually watched Space Bros or Hyouge-mono in ages. I record them faithfully, but can't get around to watching them --shows I know I'll delete get priority because I'm conserving hard disk space. Bakuman is my can't-miss show of the week, though.

Hyouka is over, but I don't see me cutting that one anytime soon.

Shows I watch once and delete:
* Saint Seiya Omega (Not great, but somehow watchable)
* One Piece (Way too slowly-paced, but good if you stick with it)
* Naruto (Watching out of intertia, mainly; the joy is long buried under a mountain of pointless filler)
* My Little Monster (I like the show better than the leads somehow)
* Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Crazy fun; a crazier budget would be even better)
* Sword Art Online (No, it's not the brilliant work of feminist art that some people seem to want, but given the publisher and the target audience, I wouldn't expect it to be. It's entertaining stuff for what it is (and could've been much, much worse))
* Psycho Pass (This was in the keep stack until today. The perversity of the crimes in this show hasn't driven me away, but it has reached a point where I don't think I'll want to watch it again.)
* Hunter X Hunter (Came to this one late; occasionally dull and occasionally incredible)
* Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (remastered edition; nice to see it again, but we've headed into the Island/Africa stuff now...)
* Sazae-san (watch occasionally, as it's great Japanese practice)
* Chibi Maruko-chan (ditto, except I like it better than Sazae-san)

Shows I've dropped altogether:
* Code Breaker (after 3 eps I saw it wasn't headed where I was hoping)
* Smile! Precure (sunk by the lameness of the villains, mainly; certainly no substitute for Sailor Moon)
* Ebiten (after awful 1st ep)
* Kamisama Kiss (1st ep didn't grab me, and there was too much else to watch that I liked better)
* Kick off to the Galaxy (that kiddie soccer show)
* Robotics Notes (Not terrible; I just didn't need to see yet another show about saving a club)
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Just finished Sailor Moon SuperS. Marathonned it, actually, in the last two days I've watched the final 18 episodes. Which is a little too much Sailor Soldiers for anyone really. This iteration was weaker than S, but better than R. Still had lots of problems, though. There was too much focus on Scrappy Moon, and not enough on the other girls and the villains. The best episodes are the Sailor-centric mirror and crystal power up ones, and the Amazon Trio death trilogy. The Minako two-timing date episode was a classic, and I loved the 'yuri-senses tingling' Mars Crystal Power episode. But they could never find the right balance of comedy and drama, and the throwaway villains were horribly weak and stupid, and generally a waste of time.

Judging from the preview in the last episode, the show rolls right into Stars, so I will have reason to start that soon. Well, I also wanted to finish the old before the new season airs (next year, is it?). But I'm a little burnt out on the Mooninites now, so I was thinking of watching some other mahou shoujo first. I'm going to give Miracle Girls a spin. However, I need to try to find some better video. My current rips are all Laser Disc, and well, that's really all that needs to be said.

But Miracle Girls will have to wait. I've going to traveling overseas again, to my favorite part of the world, where I will attempt to avoid getting blown up by jihadists. (I'll let y'all know if I don't survive). Since I will be doing little after work other than barricading myself in my hotel room, I am bringing a large stash of shows to watch. Here is what I am bringing:

Lupin The Third: Stolen Lupin (Because you can never have enough Lupin in your life)
Lupin the Third: From Russia With Love (Isn't this, like, the fourth time Lupin has fought Rasputin or his decendants?)
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS Movie (Yeah, I know I'm a little burnt, but I need to finish this before moving on)
Nayuta (To pharaphrase Sir Edmund Hillary, because it is there)
Sora no Otoshimono Movie (Bewbs)
Card Captor Sakura Second Movie (Oh crap, totally forgot about this one when I watched the rest of CCS!)
Dragon Century (Apparently, this is a real thing)
Kids on the Slope (Because I need something good to watch)
Sword For Truth (The user ratings are quite horrible. I'm looking forward to a trainwreck)
Run Melos (See Melos. See Melos run. Run, Melos, run!)
Tenamonya Voyagers
Like the Clouds, Like the Wind (I've heard great things about this one

I will also be trying to grab some of the currently airing shows (through a circuitous route that involves me tunneling into a machine currently in Amsterdam), but I doubt such actions will be feasible for very much data, so I will be focusing on From the New World, Magi, and Ixion Saga

And if those can't keep me, I also have the first 33 episodes of Galaxy Express 999. That should hold me through two weeks. Probably.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Watching episode 20 of Sugar Sugar Rune, and being very amused by references to Kiki's Delivery Service. In one great sequence, Chocolat is being followed by a little girl who has discovered she is a witch and has very set ideas about witches (perhaps, it is implied, informed by actually watching Kiki?). Chocolat zips away from the little girl and round the corner into a narrow laneway. The little girl runs after her and gazes up excitedly, expecting to see Chocolat flying up between the buildings (as Tombo does early on in Kiki). Our (her) gaze encounters nothing, drops to ground level and sees Chocolat simply walking off down the lane.

Witty. And heavens knows that the show needs a bit of spark. It's pretty lame most of the time.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Sugar Sugar Rune after reading the manga and was rather disappointed by the fairly different tone. If by chance you haven't already read it, I'd recommend it for a fellow shoujo fan.
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm still slowly, slowly making my way through the original "Macross." If I wasn't interested in the show for it's legacy and it's historical context I would have bailed long before now. It's an interesting concept, but it's very padded out and poorly paced. The central love triangle is nowhere near interesting enough to be so torturously dragged out, and once the show hits the middle section it derails into dumb subplots and unnecessary characters (see: anything and everything involving Kaifun). It's not all bad, but the rough spots are making it a tough slog. As far as I'm concerned, "Do You Remember Love" is still the way to go for the original Macross: same central concept, same characters, same basic plot, but about a million times prettier and with all the fat trimmed off.

I also watched through "Wolf's Rain," which was f-ing fantastic. The last four episodes are pretty much a perfect example of a conclusion that elevates everything that came before it from "that was pretty good" to "that was jaw-droppingly amazing." I watched the dub on Hulu (and you can watch it for free right now, hint hint), and it is solid, solid work. One of the main actors is someone whose work I've never enjoyed before, and I still think it was absolutely great work all around. (Thankfully, i knew to skip the recap episodes).

I also watched through the original "Hellsing" series, which was not as fun an experience. I loved the tone and some of the stylizations, but the animation and the writing descend into complete b.s. by the end...

...BUT it got me interested enough to watch a couple of episodes of "Hellsing Ultimate," which is much much better. Yes, it's bloody, violent, nihilistic nonsense, but it's so much damn fun, if only because Alucard shows us the proper way to deal with cat-people intruding on your show: spoiler[ you blow their face off with your giant hand cannon. ] And the dub is a hoot.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I watched the first episode of Sugar Sugar Rune after reading the manga and was rather disappointed by the fairly different tone. If by chance you haven't already read it, I'd recommend it for a fellow shoujo fan.
Thanks! I've started the manga, and really liked it. (And I thought the artwork was wonderful, especially in creating the tone.) On your rec. I will be sure to finish it.

Like you, it was on that basis that I started on the anime, and my reaction was similar. I think you did well to drop it. Very possibly it improves in the second half, but so far the show is proving to be a series of sitcom eps with only the vaguest of points. (I will probably finish it though, just because I'm bloody-minded and I'm watching it with French subs, which I take as a personal challenge!) Laughing

Ep. 20 did have some witty visual jokes, though. I'll give it that.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
Watched a couple of things these last couple of weeks...

Jin-Roh - I was absolutely blown away by this one. I'm a fan of dark movies/tv-shows and if you like that sort of thing as well, you're going to love this. I can't think of one thing that I disliked about Jin-Roh. It really is that good.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Well, what can I say about this one? It's pretty much brilliant. It has likeable characters, a likeable protagonist with a hilarious inner monologue and plenty of other laughs. If you ask me, Episode 00 is the best thing ever and it gives you a good indication of what to expect from the rest of the series.

Cat Planet Cuties - All the good reviews that I read about this title were definitely spot on. It was so funny. There's loads of fanservice, but I think that fanservice is hilarious anyway so that just added to the overall hilarity of the show for me. It's also littered with loads of clever references to other shows, like the uncle who's a Magnum PI look-a-like and the personalised Assistroids. It was surprisingly good and I can definitely see myself rewatching this in the future.
The only downside to this series was the OVA episode. That one has the Catians playing various strip games at Kio's house and the others playing games at a restaurant and ending it with strip rock, paper, scissors. That's it.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
In the past few weeks, I saw Mayo Chiki (sub-par fanservice show), Okami-san (not too bad), Case Closed season 2 and disc 1 of season 3, and Dexter seasons 4 and 5 in Japanese (that's close enough, right?).
hpulley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
DHL delivered Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Blu-ray disc 6 to my house today from amazon.co.jp

First I cried again through episodes 11 and 12. Perhaps the most touching episodes of the year, they are no less emotional on second watching.

Then new episode 13...

spoiler[So good! A new episode, not ancient backstory. Funny intro competition for Teiichi by Yuuko and Kirie. Another ghost story for the club to solve. With lots of o-furo fanservice, cute yukata, hanabi, sweet moments, I loved it.]

Commentary with intro monologues by the beautiful seiyuu, some while in yukata too... Lovely.

And an audio CD. Just the soundtrack it seems, not even OP and ED but may try in my laptop too in case there is data too. Probably not.

Gives me hope for more OVAs or even another season. Dare to dream...
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched Tantei Opera Milky Holmes and it was very up and down. During some parts, like the Nausicaa parody, I couldn't stop laughing. But other parts (especially any part with Twenty in it) I didn't like. I hated Twenty actually. Every time he came on I just wanted to quit on the whole show. I found his over-the-top antics unfunny in the worst way. As much as I hated that one character, this show occasionally did things that completely made up for that horrible character. Like in the beginning of the show with the bear. Anime hyper spoiler[Sheryl getting mauled was hilarious]. That whole episode was really good. But overall I found the show mediocre with a handful of really good parts. It's a comedy without any hints of seriousness, and since a lot of the comedy is typical antics I don't find funny anymore it didn't work for me.

I'm now going to start Boys Over Flowers, the live action korean drama. I've never seen a k-drama before, but I've heard some good things and now that I have the all access Crunchyroll membership from the Black Friday Deal k-drama is available. I've seen the anime version of Boys Over Flowers but have no idea how similar the live action version will be. I'm looking forward to my first experience with k-drama!
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I've decided to sit down and rewatch Kanon over the next couple of weeks. Winter is almost upon us, and I just love the sense of atmosphere that show exudes, especially since we don't get much real winter where I live.

I've got a few episodes of Girls Und Panzer to catch up on as well. The whole premise of that show is so absurd that it's awesome.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
Saw the Madoka Magica movies in the smallest movie theater I've ever been in (yet not the smallest one that particular establishment had). Even though I've watched the series 6 times in full before, it still resonated just as strongly as ever.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Recently marathoned Hataraki Man, which was mostly boring, but I liked the final conclusion of dedication to one's work and giving it all for a job you like, even if it won't be easy and will entail sacrifices

Also very recently finished Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, and it was adorable. Yuuko was a lovely main girl, and her relationship with Teiichi was really sweet. How her story is revealed bit by bit was done amazingly. Also, why I usually condemn fanservice-oriented shows, in this one the fanservice was done elegantly and without vulgarity or excess, I really liked it.

I'm now watching Guilty Crown. I originally watched the first 11 eps when they aired last year, but gave up halfway because the only character I liked, spoiler[Gai], died and the show was too crappy, the plot was a mash up of popular tropes and what not. My brother convinced me to pick it up again, and I'm rounding episode 15, still wondering why I'm watching it, I still can't stand Shu being puny and pitying himself all the time

Last edited by CrowLia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not watching Guilty Crown. I originally watched the first 11 eps when they aired last year, but gave up halfway because the only character I liked, spoiler[Gai], died...

Yeah . . . about that . . .

spoiler[Let's just say that one should never assume that a character is dead, or will stay dead forever . . . especially in a show as god-awful as Guilty Crown.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
. . . still wondering why I'm watching it. . .

Ah, that brings back memories of the threads on /a/ of Guilty Crown. I still remember this one quote:

Quote:
This show [Guilty Crown] is like a trainwreck where all the passengers were having a drug-fueled orgy as they went over the cliff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 737 of 1062