• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:

First time watching Elfen Lied?

No I watched it a few times prior, mainly on netflix.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching Rave Master today after having it on-hold for ages and phew, that was some ride. The spoiler[Oracion Seis] in this series sure feels a bit different. I kinda like the overall style though and more focus on the main male/female character relationship. Not too shabby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Nanoha A's (the next season) is a bit better, IMO. Lots of Nanoha and Fate opening up a can and a less generic plot overall.

Yeah, I just finished watching Nanoha A's. Very good series, significantly better than the first with it's larger cast and better developed characters. Though it suffered from having a bit too much silly stuff mixed in (the final battle had a bit too much of a Digimon vibe in it IMO).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wanderer86

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
currently watching Trigun, got four episodes to go. haven't seen it in a lot of years, its the remastered collection
CarnivalCorpse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Soul Eater, just finished episode 33 and so far I am really impressed. Loving the storyline and style of animation and I have developed a soft spot for Cronas - can't wait to find out what happens next yet I am not trying to rush it as don't want it to end!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
After torturing myself for 26 episodes, I finally managed to finish Infinite Ryvius. If I went on and on about how much I disliked this series, I could probably write a ten pager, but I'll try to make it as short as possible.

I already talked about the first half: endless battles against faceless enemies with no purpose at all. The second half finally starts developping what the actual plot is supposed to be, a futuristic Lord of the Flies thing.

The idea is great, and as I watched it, I thought it could've become a fantastic story about human nature, and primal survival instincts. Sadly, this was impossible due to the horrible execution and the plethora of uninteresting, psychotic characters. Just to name a few
spoiler[
1. Protagonist. Nothing to go for him. Hardly worth mentioning, except he's supposed to be the protagonist
2. Psycho girl with Ferret obsessed with getting rid of the past, for no apparent reason other than she's deranged
3. Protagonist's brother. Severe anger management issues. Hates on brother because there would be no character drama if he didn't.
4. Protagonist's friend. Cool dude who goes apeshit insane when his girlfriend is beaten to a pulp (or something like that? Not really clear, but she was almost begging for it)
5. Guy with obsession for perfection. Half of the problems could've been avoided if anyone on the ship ever noticed this guy's super obvious manipulation
6. Norio Wakamoto. No idea of who he worked for, his only goal in life was to take down the Ryvius because who knows. Near the end you're supposed to feel bad for him because his daughter died and the funky spirit of Ryvius looks a lot like her, which prompts him to save the Ryvius's crew and shoot himself because why not]

Many things frustrated me from this show, mostly that the premise -once I found out what it was- was pretty neat and interesting, but ruined with poor execution and forced conflicts. But the worst of this is the ending.

spoiler[After Norio Wakamoto shoots himself, everything magically solves itself. After 25 episodes of being chased down, suddenly nobody is interested in blowing the Ryvius into oblivion and everyone lives happily ever after.

BTW we also forgot to tell you that humanity is on verge of destruction because the solar system will collapse shit and only the spirit inside Ryvius can save us even if we don't really know how. I know there are 20 minutes of show left, but just accept it without questions, m'kay? While we're at it, we the government chased down a spaceship full of kids and tried to obliterate it for eight months -going as far as destroying a MOON to prevent them from getting rescued- all over the solar system, but now we're gonna ask them to go back to the same spaceship in which they nearly devoured each other to save us with no clear purpose whatsoever. And they're so stupid they're all gonna happily agree.]

Seriously, just what.

To wash away the sour taste off my mouth I plan to pick back up Jojo were I left off this coming week, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Smile
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
On a whim, over the weekend I decided to start rewatching Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. So far, I'm through the first 8 episodes, and I have to say the show has held up much better than I expected.

Yeah, the animation is occasionally just as bad as I remembered (with some of the worst examples of characters going off-model I've seen in the last decade or so), and yes, the Nereids' outfits are kind of ridiculous, but some elements of the show are better than I'd remembered. Maia is a pretty solid lead character, and many of the other characters are much more likable than I'd remembered (Gloria in particular is a riot). I'm looking forward to rewatching the rest over the next week or two.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the midst of watching Red Garden, in which four certain girls must fight against people that have been become bestial as a result of being afflicted by some sort of curse.
The first few episodes of this show were a bit hard to sit through because of the bloodcurdling screams and mental trauma that was present, but the atmosphere became calm as I went further into it.

My Rating: 4/5 stars.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching A Certain Scientific Railgun, it's been a very entertaining experience. I loved these orthodox character designs, they look very elegant and the visuals are also very orthodox but still quite refined. Also, given this is a typical anime where the main characters are female but it targets a male audience I am suspecting something: why the female lead wears shorts under her skirts? It's like hidden masculinity of the main character which the male audience is supposed to identify with. Something like the phallic object represented by a gun or sword that the action girl trope uses.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
After torturing myself for 26 episodes, I finally managed to finish Infinite Ryvius.

Thank god I was not the only one who thought all this about this show. This show was the epitome of a bad blind buy. I had to watch it, despite how little sense it all made.

Why were they put through all that, for such a cop out ending?
The brother.... Why?

Why....

There are so much better things to to concern yourself with, do not bother with Infinite Ryvius.

I am generous with my ratings and I gave it So so for some potential it manifested early.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
After torturing myself for 26 episodes, I finally managed to finish Infinite Ryvius.

Thank god I was not the only one who thought all this about this show. This show was the epitome of a bad blind buy. I had to watch it, despite how little sense it all made.

Me three!

Infinite Ryvius is one of the few shows that genuinely infuriated me. I had a lot of the same complaints and I also felt like it indulged some adolescent's Übermensch fantasies that I found really nasty.

And what was up with that soundtrack? Half of the time it seemed like it was from a different show.
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I am suspecting something: why the female lead wears shorts under her skirts? It's like hidden masculinity of the main character which the male audience is supposed to identify with. Something like the phallic object represented by a gun or sword that the action girl trope uses.

Your hypothesis is much more interesting to be sure Very Happy , but I'm pretty sure Mikoto wears shorts under her skirt since using her abilities can cause atmospheric disturbances, and she's not all that keen on flashing her underwear to everyone who happens to be in view.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
For the past four mornings, I've been watching Cowboy Bebop. The abundance of gunfights that Spike often finds himself in as he, Jet, and Faye are pursuing bounties to survive their time within the vast world of the outer space was enough to stay interested in watching the show to its end. Plus, within every pursuit of a wanted troublemaker, there's a new adventure waiting for them.

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Me three!

Infinite Ryvius is one of the few shows that genuinely infuriated me. I had a lot of the same complaints and I also felt like it indulged some adolescent's Übermensch fantasies that I found really nasty.

And what was up with that soundtrack? Half of the time it seemed like it was from a different show.

Oh, so I wasn't the only one who thought this was a complete hack? I thought I had completely missed some grand message somewhere there, but I'm glad to know I'm not completely nuts. I honestly appreciated what the show tried to do (except that it did it so badly) but whatever little appreciation went down the toilet with that idiotic ending. They should've just ended it at episode 25, it was already bad enough without the spoiler["let's just forget you people tried to kill us all, we're very happy to go back to the spaceship in which we spent months trying to kill each other with no clear mission whatsoever. Yay for adventure!"]
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Me three!

Oh, so I wasn't the only one who thought this was a complete hack? I thought I had completely missed some grand message somewhere there, but I'm glad to know I'm not completely nuts. I honestly appreciated what the show tried to do (except that it did it so badly) but whatever little appreciation went down the toilet with that idiotic ending. They should've just ended it at episode 25, it was already bad enough without the spoiler["let's just forget you people tried to kill us all, we're very happy to go back to the spaceship in which we spent months trying to kill each other with no clear mission whatsoever. Yay for adventure!"]

I tried to watch Infinite Ryvius years ago and got through 10 episodes and dropped it as I realized I didn't give a sh*t about any of the major characters. The ship could have fallen into the sun with everyone on board and I wouldn't have cared. It's still sitting on my shelf mainly because I have the artbox & singles (got it cheap at Otakon in 2006) but I doubt I'll ever bother to go back and finish it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 782 of 1062