• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
@Oshawott

Would you say it's all comparable to Big Windup? I don't like sports and half the sports series I try just fail me, but Big Windup I liked the chemistry between the two leads and watching the team grow. Of course, I still don't know jack about the rules of baseball and fail to see its appeal, but as an anime, I enjoyed it. I would not mind seeing something similar but with chicks.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Well, I haven't watched Big Windup, so I really can't say anything about that show...
However, I can say that I find that the events of the Princess Nine girls becomes a bit detailed as the show progresses through its early episodes, so if you enjoyed Big Windup, maybe Princess Nine might be of your interest.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, I knocked off the last five episodes of Silent Mobius and wow, what an uneven series. Some episodes were fantastic, especially those focusing on the characters and their daily lives or backgrounds. The plot however was full of holes and weakly executed, making for an incredibly frustrating watch at times.

I liked Silent Mobius quite a lot. I agree though that there were some lame episodes, mostly the issue being that it felt like it was dragging you around. The characters were really well done though, and the setting was really cool. I thought the mix of scifi and fantasy was particularly well done. I also liked that the characters were really adults and had actual relationships for a change.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to me was that spoiler[the show had the main character become corrupted by evil and become a truly evil and completely unsympathetic villain for a long period of time. I'd liken it to Star Wars, Darth Vader's story. It's funny because you'd think that that kind of story would be done a few times, especially given Star Wars' popularity and influence, but this is the only other time I can think of that I've really seen it done that way. The specifics are pretty similar, too. In both stories, the general concept is this: The main character is born possessing great power, and the dark and light manifestations of that power vie for influence. The character grows up and chooses the good side, to use their power to vanquish evil, but their rejection of evil isn't complete, and they struggle with their morality over the course of the story. The dark forces manipulate and keep trying to engineer situations which will turn them to their side. Ultimately, when a loved one of the character is killed, they fall to dispair and in their vulnerability are taken in by the dark side. They then turn on their old comrades and commit horrible acts, only finally being turned back when they see their new master attacking someone they love. IDK I just think that parallel is cool.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I caught up with the rest of the world and finished Toradora! during my vacation in Japan. :'D

I can't wait to rewatch it. What a wonderful series.

I also just started Attack on Titan! oh gawd, that first episode's ENDING....I'm really going to have to emotionally prepare myself, aren't I? I know that was likely nothing compared to the rest of the show. x_x
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
Catching up with Space Brothers- I stopped at episode sixty something a while ago. I liked it a lot, but unlike some longer series like Monster for example where I wanted to watch all of it all at once, its ending does not really interest me as much. Of course I want to know what happens, but the final outcome, whether Mutta and Hibito will end up on the moon together, is not really as important. I just enjoy their interactions with the people around. That however did not mean I felt like pursuing the series every week. The same goes with Natsume's book of Friends, I enjoy it, but I am not drawn to it sufficiently to finish it. Space Brothers is definitely not one of the series that would keep you on the edge of the seat, but is it a very pleasant watch.
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
After finishing Zero no tsukaima i decided to start Fairy Tail with my buddy! Only one word "AMAZING"! From the plot to characters - figths- music. All perfect. at the moment i have reached episode 18 and my hopes are rising for more good future episodes. Gray favorite character! ICE MAKEEE!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
After years of trying, I finally finished Brigadoon. What a weird show: weird character designs, weird characters, weird places, weird plot, all around, it's just not normal. Then they throw in a twist in the end and makes the rest of it seem all the stranger, spoiler[Brigadoon is the future Earth, not another world. Doesn't quite explain the little color people who have the human girl as their savior ... wait, it does by way of time travel. How weird.].

I've also started to watch Magic Knight Rayearth 2 {exposition ho! which was the first four episodes...Looks promising once we get past the character reintroductions} and rewatch Hyper Police, my favorite animal people law and order action comedy science fiction series.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
So nice to see a recent convert to train wreck that is:
Genma Wars

What fascinates me is that there are so many points in this shows development that were signed off on. At so many points some one could have said "What the hell?". But it got made.
And then it got licensed and dubbed!
Could all be solely tied back to Harmagedon? Which enjoys cult status? Harmagedon is so bad its good, but it does not touch the level of entertainment you will get out of the Genma Wars bundle for $12 on Rightstuf.

Broken Blade: The times where I watch something good, that truly captivates me are few. Broken Blade delivered in the mech genre. The universes rules, no oil or gas (methane should be pretty easy to come up with but never mind that, it does not fit!). Stuff happens from 'magic' manipulating quartz. This includes war, where your effectiveness is based on your ability to affect quartz. The big gaping plot hole in any of these situations is the concept of stored energy. Compressed air, tension, etc. which would logically be used to bypass the normal capabilities of manipulating quartz mechanically, is ignored. Oh well, got to suspend reason for the story presented, which is surprisingly good in a Gundamesque sort of manner.
Not sure if it will continue, but hopefully so.
The Dub was rather stilted in parts, but probably no worse than the original track.

My owned but unwatched backlog is down to 590 24 minute episodes! Nadia: the Secrect of Blue Water was polished off here as well, but I really dont have anything to say about it.
Tylzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann.
I'm watching it because it was suggested after finishing Kill la Kill and Fooly Cooly. Plus it's on my to-watch/amazing anime list: "The Ultimate Anime List". I've got around 20 or so on that list that I need to watch, this just happened to be the next one on there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Reached a personal viewing milestone yesterday: upon finishing the last eppie of Nobunagun, I hit 400 anime TV series seen to completion. All but three of those titles were watched since January 2009, so we are talking roughly a five year period.

Those 400 TV titles are in addition to 134 OVA titles and 85 movie titles seen to completion.

This really shows that I have no life; er, I mean, what a dedicated anime fan I am.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Well time, to see what I'm watching right now!

Cowboy Bebop: I only just started this series. Wow, this is really good. The first episode had plenty of good animation and cinematography, and Spike was the badass a lot of people like. (Thank you Steve Blum!). I actually watched the first episode TWICE in a row, to be honest. Oddly enough, I really liked Asimov's girlfriend. I think she actually had some decent character writing for a one-shot character spoiler[who died at the end of the episode]. I did feel for her plight, and I also caught some atonement undertones towards the end. Overall, I'm looking forward to more!

Michiko and Hatchin: I'm on Episode Three, and so far, so good. It looks like this anime's going to be a roadtrip series, with the heart being our two title characters. We've got Michiko, an immature and crass womanchild who has a soft spot for Hatchin. Hatchin herself is a wise-beyond-her-years girl who was forced to grow up too fast by her a-hole foster family. Together they FIGHT CRIME, I mean, travel across not!Brazil in search of Hiroshi Morenos, the former's past lover and the latter's probably father! Overall, it's pretty good so far. Episode Three itself was fun. (Michiko's bad drawing of Hana was hilarious!) MOAR!

Code Geass Season One: Just finished the Mao arc and have less than ten episodes to go before hiatus! Mao was a pretty fun character, especially with all the CLAP CLAP CLAP he does. I wonder what would happen if he and Chane Laforet met. Chainsaw versus knife? Anyhoo, Lelouch and Suzaku were awesome, and we got some quiet moments featuring our side characters. More please!

Soul Eater: I'm somewhere in the early thirties, and things are starting to get serious. I stopped on the Crona episode, and zhe's just so cute! I actually almost teared up at the end of the episode. Poor Crona can never get a break, and everyone was so nice to hir! Zhe's adorable sometimes, and I wanna take hir home and away from Medusa, that (magnificent) b***h. Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next. And it looks like an Excalibur episode is up next. I've only seen him twice before, but I like Troy Baker's performance as Excalibur, so looking forward to that!

Azumanga Daioh: I'm officially halfway through the series! I stopped on the Tomo episode, which centered on Tomo trying and failing to study for an upcoming quiz! This episode had some pretty funny jokes surrounding the test, especially concerning the wacky hijinks of Osaka, Kagura, and Tomo. My favorite joke was probably the one where the aforementioned beg Yomi to let them see her study guide and notes. That was hilarious.

So, it looks like the next series I'm going to finish is Code Geass Season One. Right now, I'm torn on two animes to re-watch next. The first is Princess Tutu, which was my first official non-edited anime that I watched. I have some fond memories of that, but I don't know how that'll go next time I see it. The other is Baccano!, which I remember was really really fun and really really good. What to do?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
^Tough choices, but I can't not say Princess Tutu. I've seen it like 5 times and it's good every single time. On the other hand, Baccano! makes more sense the second time around too. But I still vote Tutu, it sounds like you've forgotten how good it is!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Moyashimon -- started watching the series over the weekend with my girlfriend. I was thinking of Yakitate!! Japan, and then Mushishi, which got me to thinking of Moyashimon. Something about the bread science, then life science made me think of microbes. Don't ask how..

I saw 2 or 3 episodes at A-Fest a few years ago, but never got around to finishing it. I completely forgot I even downloaded some BD rips from somewhere, and found them somewhere on my computer, so I thought we'd watch it together.

We're about halfway through, and it obviously looks way better than those SD fansubs I saw back in the day. I'm liking the science behind all the different microbes and feel like I'm learning a lot about food, in particular, as well. The production values are pretty gorgeous in HD, and it's a pretty cute and quirky comedy (love those Microbe Theaters at the end of each episode). Very recommended if your into science and don't mind cutesy/quirky humor.

EDIT: Finished the series and all the bonus Microbe Theater Deluxes. Pretty funny show with an interesting scientific premise. It reminds me a little of Genshiken in terms of the college atmosphere, only it's centered around microbes and science, instead of otaku culture. Will definitely have to look into the manga and 2nd series. My overall rating for now is an 8/10, or Very Good.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Moyashimon is among my favorite noitaminA shows. Sadly, as is often the case, the sequel doesn't live up to the original. Still it was a lot better than the live-action version noitaminA also ran. I'm not a big fan of Japanese comedic acting in general, but live-action Moyashimon was so full of that style of performance that I found it unwatchable.

I'm glad you mentioned the Microbe Theater Deluxe extras. They are hilarious and educational at the same time. While A. Oryzae usually steals the show, one of the other microbes in Moyashimon, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, now holds the distinction of being the official state microbe of Oregon. (It's commonly known as brewer's yeast.) They probably drink more beer in Oregon than sake.

@classicalzawa
Have you ever watched Chihayafuru? It follows many of the themes found in sports shows, but it remains heavily focused on the characters. Because the show concerns a rather obscure game, karuta, the producers take some pains to explain its mechanics and strategy. It's also a lot simpler than Go (Hikaru no Go) or Shougi (Shion no Ou) which lends itself better to animated story-telling.

Plus Chihaya herself is absolutely gorgeous as are some of the other young ladies in the show like Shinobu.

If you've never watched Cross Game, you might try that, too, even though it's about baseball.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
@yuna
I've read Hikago (at least twice) and seen Shion no Ou. I've heard of Chihayafuru. One day, one day, especially if, odds against all odds, the manga does come out over here (ha! not happening, is it? Not unless Ed Chavez really likes it). I've looked up about karuta online in the past (Kaze Hikaru has little karutas in the chapter breaks), and I still don't get it at all. Probably because there's no english equivalent for me to compare it to. I think it's a matching game and I just don't get how that can be competitive. Is it just one deck where it's always the same? If there's only so many decks out there, it seems like one could just memorize it? I'm assuming the anime will explain this better? But yeah, when I have less of a physical backlog, I do intend to check out Chihayafuru. I know it has two seasons, any idea if it's popular enough to get a third?

I tried Cross Game's manga, I think maybe 5 vols (or two Viz vols), and I just did not like it. For me, it somehow focused on baseball more than even Big Windup did and I couldn't get into the characters. But I also felt like Cross Game expected me to know baseball rules more than Big Windup, or maybe Big Windup walked me through them more naturally without making me feel like an idiot, so I was more lost when trying to read Cross Game, way too much baseball for me. Speaking of sports, I keep eyeing that Inazuma Eleven game that came out on the 3DS shop, which has the big plus of being an RPG made by level-5, but the big negative of being about soccer/football, so I need input from more people. Also, being a 3DS game, it likely has gimmicky touch based mini games that they're pretty much all required to have, I just want to know how much they dominate training stats or whatnot and if they feel like a chore or are actually enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 807 of 1060