• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:18 am Reply with quote
I'll confess right off the bat that this post is going to be off-topic. After all, this is a thread to discuss what you are watching right now, right? Well, I wanna talk about what I'm not watching, right now. I don't feel my thoughts warrant starting a new thread but since ANN has basically been my anime diary for years now, I want to record my weird anime mood these days and this thread seems to be the only place I can think of.

Without further ado here's a partial list of what I'm not watching right now:

Bartender Glass of God
Go! Go! Loser Ranger!
KonoSuba 3 (!)
Laid-Back Camp 3
Spice & Wolf reboot

These are all shows I've sampled and dropped. I list them because they are all good shows. I didn't drop a single one of them because they are bad. I dropped them all because... they just weren't grabbing me. The earlier helpings of KonSuba and Laid-Back Camp were among my favourite titles of all time. But I feel like I got what I wanted from them and just not interested in seeing more of the same.

It's so bizarre. Last season I could barely drop anything and rode dreck like Metallic Rouge to the bitter end. A few weeks later and I'm dropping shows left and right. Don't get me wrong, I'm still following 13 currently airing shows, but I've shelved 17 of the Spring 2024 offerings.

I don't get me.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
That’s okay, Blood-, I don’t get you, either! Razz
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Strawberry Panic (2006)

I watched this show because it's considered a classic of the yuri genre. However, I must say I was not very impressed, but I guess its because I don't really like yuri shows. I love Simoun because its good anime, not because it has yuri elements (which could be easily removed making relationship between the characters in Simoun platonic like in PMMM). The art, direction, and animation were of average quality. The syrupy romance stories were amusing at first but after 26 episodes they got boring. It had a lot of slice of life elements as well, but I notice those tend to be boring if they are not well executed.

Overall, I rated it at 6/10.

Mai-HiME (2004)

Now this was more of my kind of anime show. Being from 2004, it is heavily influenced by 90s anime like Evangelion. Overall I found it to be highly entertaining even though I don't think it was very valuable artistically. The characters were fun and well developed. The romance parts didn't work very well IMO, but the show was overall well made and well animated. I also read the manga of Mai-Otome which I found even more entertaining with the gender bender stuff.

Apothecary Diaries (2023)

I watched this show until the end, but it was not exactly my cup of tea. Still, it was very well made. High quality anime all around. But the episodic plots of Maomao solving mysteries imply that she is so much smarter than everybody else in this fantasy kingdom (which is inspired by ancient China but it has some modern things like glass and chocolate, which didn't exist in ancient China), which made it boring IMO.

Overall, a well made show that was not for me, 6/10.

K-On!! (2010)

Continuing my project of re-watching my old favorites, I revisited the 27 episodes of KOn!! It is even better than the first season of K-On!, I rewatched this after several years and it made me remember that slice of life anime can be truly awesome if well executed, but other lesser shows demonstrate that slice of life can become boring very easily. Its very hard to do it right and K-On!! doesn't do it just right, it does it spectacularly well, to the point it looks like it almost like it came from a whole another industry than other anime shows, because it is just so much better. Well, the studio that made it, KyoAni, is not located in Tokyo afterall.

Certainly one of the best anime shows ever made, it is also one of my old favorites that I liked more than almost all others. Now, K-On!! would be among my top 5 anime shows ever, alongside Simoun, PMMM, Clannad: Afterstory, and Haibane Renmei. A hard 10/10.

Train to the End of the World (2024)

Now this is my type of show. Reminds me of Heavenly Delusion, but its not as dark as that one. I watched the episodes that aired, they were pretty good so far. Although I am not the biggest fan of the artsyle, its not bad, but also not very good. Hope it doesn't get bad like Metallic Rouge.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Fri May 03, 2024 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Totally agree - I initially rated it at the high end of excellent but later upgraded it to masterpiece after I'd re-watched it a couple of times. I wrote a review here.

Theron Martin's official ANN reviews are also very positive.

Many people disliked the artwork.

I first watched Simoun because I decided to watch all shows rated masterpiece in Martin's myanime's list of shows that I haven't watched before. It was the one I liked the most and now I confidently say its one of my favorites ever. I also read your review.

One thing about Simoun is that it was made 18 years ago and its animation and art style has not aged as well as, for example, the stuff KyoAni made, so compared to the big shows from the latest vintages of anime it looks rather unpolished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 1062 of 1062