• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
If you liked Black Lagoon, Zamurai-Tactician then you will really like its sequel Black Lagoon: The Second Raid. Wink The second one is just purly awsome and to me the saddest one of them both...mostly because of the beging arc and the ending arc. Sad But it was damn good none the less. Very Happy

Gun Grave I also thought was pretty good, it to was sad but it wasn't really a lingering sadness to me though I was depressed for an hour after seeing it.

Basilisk was really sad mostly cause...well I don't want to ruin it for you but I am sure you can guess what the mean by it being a "Romeo and Juliet" type love story. Wink
pingieking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I just randomly picked out Genshiken for no good reason last night. I was going to continue with The Third and Berserk, but Genshiken has really caught my attention.

I can't stop myself from laughing when I watch it. The show is about a college otaku club, and I really want to join a club like that and take place in activities like they do, but at the same time I can't help but laugh at how sad they (and I) are.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Finished Kiddy Grade and I loved it!

Now I'm going to start in on the stash of titles I got from that last ADV sale at TSRI. First one up is going to be Sister Princess. I hope that I'll enjoy it. It was one of those purchased because 1) it was in a thinpak and 2) the premise seemed interesting.

We shall see!
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Hand Maid May. Meh. I guess it was kind of cute and had some amusing moments, but overall it was a bit of a disappointment. Semi-brainless, fanservice-ish titles certainly have their place, and I don't mind them now and then, but I think there are better ones out there than this. I doubt I would have bought it except that I needed a few discs to fill out my last order at the RightStuf Geneon sale a couple months ago, and this is what I chose.

I started in on the Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, and have enjoyed the first six episodes quite a bit. While I usually like the depth of storytelling and character development that is possible in a longer series, seeing these one shot episodes is a nice change of pace. I like the variety of themes in the different stories.

I am re-watching Lunar Legend Tsukihime even though I finished it for the first time not very long ago. I just love the style of the show. Now that I know how it ends, I'm having fun picking up all the little hints they drop along the way about what is going on. Many of them simply went over my head the first time around.

I'm also re-watching .hack//sign. I saw it back when it aired on Cartoon Network, but it sure does look and sound a lot better on DVD. I'm only through episode one so far, and I really wanted to hear the Japanese since it was dubbed when I saw it on CN. After watching it, I went back and watched it again in English. I like both versions, but may be leaning a bit toward the English dub for my personal preference. So far it seems like a more understated performance, which I think fits the tone of the series better.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy Eps 5-8 : Even more questions are raised as this series has progressed, but I think I've sussed out the plot to the show now (maybe, heh). I am enjoying this series though, the overall dark & serious tone to the plot has kept me very interested. Some things have bugged the crap outta me though, spoiler[like the way they killed off some rather interesting characters such as Hoody & Quinn without explaining why they were expelled from Romdo City. Sad ]

Shakugan no Shana Eps 9-12 : I'm not even sure if there is an overall plot to this series as it just seems that Denizens show up, the Flame Hazes kick the crap out of them. spoiler[Speaking of which, I really detest those incestous siblings, they just creep the hell out of me. Anime hyper ] I do like this series quite a lot as the characters make me laugh, especially the alcoholic Margery Daw. And the ED theme is awesome.

Looking forward to the next DVD's for both shows. Anime smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
Went away for the weekend and finally started my "oldest untouched DVD series" (i.e. the DVD's I've had the longest without having seen the show previously), Fantastic Children. Got through the first 5 episodes, and I'm impressed so far--there's a lot of mystery and things to be discovered about the characters and the world, and unlike many series, the main character has already been through martial arts/fighting training before the story begins, so no "training arcs" and other shounen clichés. While the characters are a litle retro, the background art is silently sensational in many places, and the music makes the Vol.1 Special Edition with CD worth buying.

The other series I started on was Lunar Legend Tsukihime, and I have one episode left to go of it. The road's been tough; a good friend of mine picked up the series and recommended it to me, and I bought it at the big Geneon sale this past fall. (Unfortunately, episode 8 didn't work on DVD 2, so I had to resort to the fansubs I'd randomly gotten from another friend farther in the past.) Because I bought Tsukihime sight unseen, I wanted to like it, and I do like the artwork, music, and overall atmosphere that it sets up. It's just that...maybe I was too sleep-deprived when I watched it, because I kept zoning out and missing things. I'm really going to have to give it a rewatch and check some websites for more info. I know there are some Tsukihime fans on these forums (Randall, maybe?), so any input is appreciated.

But right now, rather than finishing Tsukihime, I'm going to charge forward on the recently-acqured Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, which from the first episode seems like the height of quasi-yuri guilty pleasure with a trap involved. Of course, it's rediculously obvious that it's based on a game, as this undoctored screenshot will plainly show. (Really, it's undoctored, believe me! Razz )
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's just that...maybe I was too sleep-deprived when I watched it, because I kept zoning out and missing things. I'm really going to have to give it a rewatch and check some websites for more info. I know there are some Tsukihime fans on these forums (Randall, maybe?), so any input is appreciated.

It's not Lain obscure, but you do need to pay attention to what people are saying in addition to what they are doing in Tsukihime. I just finished re-watching it and they drop hints about what is going on as the story progresses, so you probably don't want to watch when your attention is wandering. Some of the things may not make sense by themselves, but as you get deeper in the series they start to tie together. It really is a good series. There is actually substance behind the style, and I liked the story a lot, including what I thought was a great ending. You may want to go back and re-watch some or all of it before popping that last episode in your DVD player.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Godfathers - A heartwarming & whimsical tale about three homeless folk who stumble upon an new born baby left abandoned in the trash. The movie follows the three as they try to find the reasons why a parent would abandon their child at Christmas, & in the process confronting their own demon's of the past.
Beautiful animation, great characters, an excellent storyline & direction by the ever-versatile Satoshi Kon, this movie made me laugh out loud & want to cry in equal measure. Very cleverly written, & a must-see for all fans of character-driven anime IMO. Anime smile
philg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kemonozume - Up to the 5th episode now and so far I love it. There are quite a few let-downs though, such as its fast pace. A racey action series doesn't really attract me but Kemonozume has a lot of other features that are interesting. I love the artwork and the whole morbid element in every episode. It's very dark and that's reinforced by the brilliant animation. I will admit that the samurai swords are kinda... boring me now but oh well.

Love Hina - I'm rewatching it and I'm addicted. It's fantastic, it's hilarious, it's just so.........genius! I'm afraid that I have to watch it in terrible quality but that does nothing to interrupt my enjoyment. I remember when I first watched it about a year ago I was tremendously sad when it ended, so I watched Love Hina Again which was pretty pathetic which made me feel a little more relieved for it all to be over. Hopefully I'll go through this again so I don't experience post-love-hina-depression.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm re-watching Haibane Renmei and Chromartie Highschool. My gf hasn't seen either so I went through my old collection and randomly grabbed some boxes. We just finished Sorcerer Hunters and Wolf's Rain.

We're gonna be starting Ergo Proxy, Fate/Stay Night, and watching the new volumes of Saiyuki Reload Gunlock, Basalisk, and Hare'+Guu. I'm excited about finally getting to Ergo Proxy. Been trying to start it but without much luck. Had to finish off a lot of titles first so I can give it more attention. I've heard nothing but praise for it so I'm excited to see if it's worth the hype. I'm also looking forward to the first volume of Solty Rei.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Air Gear.

It's certainly not what I would consider to be a quality series, but it's decently entertaining, and a good way to kill time. Plus the music is really good, and there is quality in the fanservice. Twisted Evil
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
been watchin alot lately. spent my entire weekend watching. my weekly viewing of naruto, bleach and death note. from the last time i posted I've finished all the following series.

full metal panic - I've put this aside for a few months and i finally picked it up and i have to say im surprised the english dub is actually pretty good. its a good series, very funny and alot of character development. highly recommended. just started watching fmp fumoffu, will finish very soon cause of my addictiveness.

fate: stay/night
- I've been hearing about it lately so i started watching since last week. good fite scenes, pretty good story and funny. also highly recommended. very interesting first beginning episodes it just sucks u in.

mushishi - this has reached one of my top 5 series, and i pray there is a sequel, even though the ending was left open my opinion it felt right and since i hear the manga is still going, i hope theres more and make an english version. its very nature tuned, mysterious things happen, one of the best storylines ever.

love hina - I've heard about this for a long time and i thought i wud give it a shot, im ususally more of the action or story line kinda guy but id have to say its a halarious series but its practically the same thing happening everyday, i dont mind though it puts me in a good mood. i guess im not the stereotypical macho type of guy who just watches action i found a new genre i love!

ah my goddess - from my new love for comedy, i picked his one up as well right after love hina. very funny and kinda got wierd towards the end. same as love hina sorta. i plan on watching the prequel and sequel in my spare time

azumanga daoih - im not quite sure if i spelled it right, 3 consecutive comedies in a row. i usually burst out lafing at the things they go through. chiyo is so cute

chrono crusade
- very good series although i think watching once is good enough, pretty funny alot of times and can have some decent fighting scenes. the ending tied up pretty good.

thats it for now. update in a few months
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coffee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I figured it's time to refresh my list on here, as I've finished off some series and started some new ones.

Fate/stay Night after reading all the hype here and watching the trailer for the series, I jumped on the fate/stay wagon and got the art box. It's been awhile since I've watched a fantasy series, so I guess I had one coming.
Moon Phase I was up late one night and watched the opening for it on youtube, and then the trailer over at funi, and decided "hey why not give it a shot". Purchased art box, waiting for free time to watch the DVD.
Cowboy Bebop I'm revisiting the series via the remix DVDs, and it's just as fun as I remember back when it was on TV.
X I'm on the last disc now, and I can't say I've really liked it so far, it only got good on disc 6 and up.
Azumanga Daioh I start this one tommorow. I've been itching for a good comedy, and hopefully this hits the spot.
Code Geass still In love with this series, I'm always checking for the next episode. The psychological aspect mixed with the mecha and great designs from clamp and sunrise keep me going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
[OT]WHOO!!!!!! PATRIOTS LOSE!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!! I'm going crazy right now!

Anyway, back on topic, I just finished Eureka 7. I thought it was a very good series. I rated it as Excellent in my MyAnime. I remember starting it back last year around the spring time on Adult Swim. Boy, it took a long time to finish that series.

I also started Air Gear because... I dunno'. I just felt like trying it out. I liked how it started out. I like the whole fast-paced, roller-blading premise. I'm interested to see how it turns out, so I'm waiting for more.

I've also been watching a lot of Busou Renkin. I've caught up to episode 8. Nobuhiro Watsuki is one of my all-time favorite manga-kas, so I'm sticking with Busou Renkin until the end. I loved in episode 6 or 7 (I can't remember) where they show Tokiko wrapped up in bandages that makes her look like Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin. I laughed so hard when I saw that.

Lastly, I've been watching a little bit of Bartender. At first, I found the series to be pretty stupid, but learning about all sorts of cocktails is very interesting, and the series is short, so I'll watch the series to the end. I like how at the end of each episode they give the ingredients on how to make the featured cocktails of each episode. I might try making one of them if I can ever get my hands on some of the alcohol that are ingredients of those drinks.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
[OT]WHOO!!!!!! PATRIOTS LOSE!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!! I'm going crazy right now!

Ha same here, same here...you should have heard my dad he was going crazy on the phone. Razz

SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I've also been watching a lot of Busou Renkin. I've caught up to episode 8. Nobuhiro Watsuki is one of my all-time favorite manga-kas, so I'm sticking with Busou Renkin until the end. I loved in episode 6 or 7 (I can't remember) where they show Tokiko wrapped up in bandages that makes her look like Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin. I laughed so hard when I saw that.

Just wait, there will be many more parts that will remind you of Rurouni Kenshin...as you also probably have noticed the song they play at certain parts (like the end of battles) in the episodes is the same as the one they used in Rurouni Kenshin with some diffrences. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 1061