• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I came accross the starter set for Solty Rei today and jumped all over that purchase. Yes, I know that its not due out until Tuesday, but my FYE store had on the shelf today, so yup...
Actually, I've only watched the first 2 episodes, but my friends and I may watch more tonight, hopefully. I like what I've seen thus far, cyborg chicks kicking ass is (one of) my cup(s) of tea, and this one shows promise of actually having dept to it. FUNi put 6 episodes on this volume, not too often that happens (to my knowledge anyways). I'll add more to this after I watched the whole volume.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I came accross the starter set for Solty Rei today and jumped all over that purchase. Yes, I know that its not due out until Tuesday, but my FYE store had on the shelf today, so yup...

Hey, if it's out on the selling floor, it's fair game!

I'm almost finished with Sister Princess it's been an okay series so far. A few things haven't really been explained spoiler[Like how the hell did he get 12 sisters and not know about it...] Of course, I'm hoping to get those answered...now I'll I have to do is not be on the internet and I'll be able to finish semi-quickly.

The next one I'm going to start will be Get Backers. From everything that's been said on this forum, I'm hoping that I won't be disappointed.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Well there are a bunch of titles that I am currently watching (whether it be through TV or DVDs I borrowed from a friend).

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross - I'm only on the 4th episode I think. I'm having a hard time gettting into it and the old art style and animation isn't really helping me much. Hopefully I find the story to be more engaging in the later episodes or it'll be on a waiting to be finished list for a long time.

The Twelve Kingdoms - If it weren't for the character's actions at the beginning I'd probably be done about now.

Silent Mobius (TV) - I'd finish it but I always get distracted by other shows.

Cowboy Bebop - I know I know pretty late of me to start watching it.......I don't need to be reminded of it. Still I'm watching it weekly on the Razor channel.

Eureka 7 - Not engaging enough for me, still awesome soundtrack.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Almost done this series. Love it even though I've read the manga and was pleasantly surprised with the differences. I just wish people would stop comparing the manga and anime.

Thats about it for me. Glad to be back on the forums again. Sucks to have no internet for the past 1,2,3.........7 months. I'm doing fine though -_-" (I'm currently on a school computer).

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Mai-Otome, because it is a title I have been wanting to watch, but I wanted to wait a good while after seeing Mai-Hime. I always hate to see these alternate retelling/universe types of shows when I remember too much from the original, because instead of just sitting down to watch and enjoy it I end up constantly comparing the two. I think it has been long enough now and I'm ready to jump right in. And I have really been itching to see this for a long time, I really liked Mai-Hime and I've always heard and read that this was even better. So far so good, real good, two episodes in. Really high energy, good action and great dialogue, love the characters so far, and I'm finding that in fact I don't remember a lot of details from Mai-Hime so it's working out. And the story is just starting to unfold so I'm having fun.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Right now I'm watching SHAKUGAN NO SHANA Vol.3 ; although I've seen the whole thing already I want the series on dvd--it's a good mix of romance and supernatural-themed action(I'm always interested in any kind of supernatural/occult/weird monster-themed shows. ) Also currently collecting /watching MOON PHASE(also a good mix of romance and supernatural action, and Hazuki and Haiji are super cute duo) , PANI PONI DASH(funniest new show I've seen), NEGIMA!(I love the unique character designs), OVERMAN KING GAINER(I wish Tomino's GUNDAM shows were this much fun), and FATE/STAY NIGHT(sometimes a bit too video-gamish, but still a good show and I got attached to the charcters, especially Saber.) Also keeping up with DEATH NOTE(the only show I've seen that does the whole suspense/tension thing better than 24) , NEGIMA!?(I thought the first few episodes were a little generic compared to NEGIMA!, but I liked how they added more and more comedy as the show progressed) and BLEACH(does a mix of comedy and more serious elements better than most shows I've seen, and so far the pacing is pretty good for a long ongoing series.) According to the local TV schedule KODOCHA, REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA, CASE CLOSED and some kind of DRAGON BALL show will be shown here; I'll be watching all except for DRAGON BALL.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Capeta Saw a image of the show and passed this one by at first. Later I returned and decided to take a look now I am hooked following up to episode 6 so far and I am glad I game it a second chance. I really like the 3d effects added. Normally I am not a big fan of inputs like this like in Zoids or when they used that style mixed in with cartoons in Transformers... However its done quite well. The only other one with this style I liked was Vandread.

Bokura ga Ita Just another typical shojo school style, but if it aint broke don't fix it. On episode 2 and I think im in it for the long haul.

Eyeshield 21 I never though I would be a big sports anime, but after Prince of Tennis and a few others I started to enjoy them. On episode 26 now and I LOVE IT! YA-HA!!! I really like animes such this and One Piece where they are looking for members to join or crewmates and so on. I was wondering what other shows out there follow this trend. If anyone knows of any let me know. Thanks!!

Fruits Basket On the final disc... I don't want it to end. I also know that it doesn't tell the story of 2 characters and makes you feel like there is more. I want there to be more...

God Mars Saw the first half of the first episode and fell asleep. I think I give it a second chance though. Looks like an interesting story and you cant beat 5 kids and robots.

Gundam X I was asking about what Gundam series I should start watching in the forums and got a couple good suggestions. I decided to start with Gundam X. I have only just recently started watching this show and I think I made a good choice. I also decided to go and pick up the Mobile Suit Gundam as well.

Kappa No Kaikata How to breed Kappas! Awesome. This series is a bunch of short episodes on how to raise this mythical creature. I can't stop watching it over and over. Each episode is a laugh. If you haven't seen this your missing out. I can't wait for this series to get to the US. PLEASE!!!

Major One again another sports anime... However this time its about baseball. This is an sweet story about a kid growing up wanted to be like his father the baseball player. On Episode 3 and I want more.

Midori Days This takes a whole new meaning to your right hand being your girlfriend. Now on the second disc of the series and laughing my but off. I was putting this one off for awhile for when I needed a good laugh and it delivers.

Nerima Daikon Brothers Oh my... To much to say... Best DVD Extras you can get. I just cant wait till the second disc comes out. I want more!!! See it! Love it! Praise it!

Tenjho Tenge On the 4th disc. High School beat'em up. The dvds fall flat though with very few extras besides textless intros or outros. It's worth renting, but I wouldn't buy them.

Also I've been watching the commons such as Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. Most people know about them if they want to or not so Im not going to through my comments on them now.
Zamurai-Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Battle Programmer

-One of the most Shocked anime I have seen for obvious reasons. The whole sub plot withspoiler[ the little girl and the comprising situations make me laugh so much! Then when the Army General [or was it police general, I can't remember!] comes into Shirase's house for help, he always catches them, then questions his own stability on asking him for help!]
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Luckily I've had some free time on my hands and a very good connection to whatever anime I desire. Here's a current list of anime I've been watching:

Naruto

Yea, yea I still watch the show, even the relentless, onslaught of retarded fillers they needed to lengthen the gap between anime and manga. Some episodes were "decent" and those were mostly with Lee and Gai being the main characters in those episodes. Also the more recent filler with the Sand Shinobi, Kankuro, Temari and Garaa. spoiler[You can tell this is a mock build up to Naruto: the Hurricane Chronicles. Although we all know what the obvious outcome of this filler will be, but to see these guys pursuing to get the Shukaku, I can't wait till next month when it's finally Akatsuki doing it for real.]

Bleach

I'm glad the whole Bounto arc is finally over and the anime has finally gotten back to the manga story line. This is one of the only anime that I chose to not read the manga when it was airing just the filller. But from what a friend of mine told me, it is going to be very intense and insane! So I'm really looking forward to this one.

Death Note

This show is just pure brilliance in my eyes, and every aspect couldn't have been put together better. I love the animation, the voice acting and especially the music which couldn't have fit this show more perfectly. I also enjoy this because I haven't seen a good suspense, thriller like this since Monster.
Although that particular series would tend to be drawn out, this show however is much more fast pace. I have also decided to not read the manga for this series, and have only seen the first 14 episodes that have aired so far. I'm not sure how many episodes this plans to run, I read 34 in Wikipedia, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Either way, I will continue to watch this amazing show with tremendous anticipation as each episode airs each week.

Ergo Proxy

Another very good, dark anime series that has a main character who possesses great power. Although I've only seen the first 15 episodes or so, I've continued to buy the DVD's each chance I'm able to and I'm still waiting to complete and watch the whole series. The way everything is drawn, and the colours that are used, sort of reminds me of Ghost in the Shell is some aspects. And I really do love the way they have the main character a very attractive female. Well I'm not sure if she's the "true" main character, but she's very well drawn and written.
doug19992000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The shows that I am watching now are:

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor: For a show that hypes itself as "the new face of ultra-violence" it seems pretty tame. Espically when you compare it to shows like Gantz and Elfen Lied. The main story although not spectacular starts to get interesting around the third or fourth episode. But the individual stories get to be predictable spoiler[ bad guy shows up and turns into a Zoanoid. Sho becomes the Guyver, gets smacked around for a while. Then miraculously a new weapon shoots out of the Guyver killing said villian.]
Acting and animation are somewhat decent atleast, however the only way that I will be watching the rest of this show is if I can get it real cheap.

Ergo Proxy: I am really enjoying what I'm seeing so far in this show. The color scheme they're using goes great with the atmospere of the story. Action sequences are well done too. An example would be when spoiler[ Vincent Law was being chased by a proxy through the mall.] I have only seen up to the eighth episode and the main story seems to be coming along nicely.

Fate/stay Night: I watched the first volume of this series and I'm liking the story that is being developed so far in the first four episodes. spoiler[The relationship between Emiya and Tohsaka for example] it should be a tear-jerker when those two fight. The fight scenes are done rather nicely especially the fight between spoiler[ Saber and Berserker.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora Eps 3: This series is slowly (but surely) dragging me deeper into it's web. The relationship between Kyoshiro & his Absolute Angel Setsuna is becoming more interesting; spoiler[is she just his 'doll' or not? And the scene where Kaon is being 'tempered'/tortured by Mika-sama whilst Himiko looked on made my heart ache; I can still hear Kaon's screams of agony reverberating in my ears Anime cry (I'm beginning to love her seiyuu more & more).] Looking forward to episode 4.

My-HiME Eps 1-16 : I'm really enjoying this series. As to be expected from a series whose cast are primarily schoolgirls, there is a lot of fanservice, but it's very funny, has some great character drama, & the mecha/Child battles are cool too. Natsuki is my favourite character by a long way; can't wait for the latter half of the series, as her relationship with the graceful & genteel Shizuru is explored more fully.
Um, on a side note, why did they change the name from Mai-HiME to My-HiME? Just seems so pointless really. Confused
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I just starting watching X. The action and storyline just draws you in and not to mention the beautiful art designs.
coffee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
I just starting watching X. The action and storyline just draws you in and not to mention the beautiful art designs.

Advice: try and make it through the 80 times each episode they replay the "future dream" sequences, the end is worth it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
coffee wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

Advice: try and make it through the 80 times each episode they replay the "future dream" sequences, the end is worth it!

Only 80? Wink

I'm watching Get Backers season 1 right now and I just finished the episode where Kazuki spoiler[fights Juubei in the virtual reality Grand Canyon. Childhood friends should never have to fight like that! Crying or Very sad ]
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Ok, more thoughts on Solty Rei now that I've watched all of vol 1.
Its definitely more comedic than I was expecting it to be, and thus far, its much more episodic than I was expecting it to be, but I have not been disappointed so far. Solty and Roy are a very good contrast of main characters, and the team of cyborg chick agents is quite cool. However, out of the supporting cast, the spunky little Kasha takes whatever scene she's in. There hasn't been much of a solid storyline, but they make up for it with solid character development, and they do hint at objectives that certain people have concerning Solty, so I expect the story to start taking off soon. Anyways, Solty Rei is pretty good so far...

Negima! is one I've been netflixing, and I just saw vol 5 and I wonder to myself, why couldn't the rest of this series have been like this? (but with better animation, of course) The episode where spoiler[they finally solve the mystery of that ghost girl, Saya] was quite touching even if a little predictable. We learn a lot more of each of the characters that were sort of put on the back-burner after the 1st and 2nd volumes (Evangeline, Negi's father, Setsune), and there is actually a decent story arc as well. Vol 5 has been the most enjoyable volume of this series yet.

that's all for now...
Tylormde18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Negima! is one of the series I'm currently working on. Through Vol. 5. Although its another series about a bunch of highschool chicks fighting over some guy, (we'll leave the age issues for another debate), i like the fact that so many characters are invovlved. There just always seems to be a lot going on for that Magister. I'm also partial to the magic side of it.

My-HiME is another one i'm on right now. Through Vol. 6. I like the story line on this one. The HiME hidden all over the place is fun to discover. I also get a Final Fantasy feel with the Children. They remind me of Aeons. The series did drag a little in the middle but it has ramped back up.

Gundam Seed Destiny, Through Vol. 6. I'm just a big Gundam Fan. I found enjoyment in Mobile Fighter G Gundam and thats hard to do! Laughing I like the human aspect of the Gundam series. Thoughts on war, tolerance, politics. If you take the time to think about the way they address these topics, it makes the show more indepth to me. Destiny has been pretty solid so far. spoiler[When the Freedom shows up and takes out the cannon on the Minerva, then Cagali makes her plea to the Orb forces, and then THEY SHOOT AT HER!!!, ] I was giddy. I'm hating the distrubution of this series though. Not only did I have to exchange Vol. 6 cause it was defective, but its gonna be 2 years after its all said and done for it to have come out. I mean Gundam Wing did a few releases of 2 at a time, I'm just tired of waiting on this one. I blame Bandai, they just seem to me to be more difficult than the other companys. Regardless, they'll still get my money cause like I said, I'm just a big Gundam fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 1062