• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the insight, Zin5ki. I guess though I may tell myself I had no expectations going in, I generally do make certain assumptions, like a movie/show must have developed characters or a concrete plot. But perhaps I should learn when to discard those preconceptions in some cases. I mean, my family's owned a VHS copy of The Snowman for as long as I can remember, and that evokes similar sentiments to what you describe your reaction to Labyrinth Labyrinthos and it has about as much plot.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Over the weekend, I decided to fire up Netflix to check out any new offerings since the last time I turned on my Wii.

Nothing new was added, so I decided to start the 85 episode Robotech.

I stopped at episode 3 and have no intention of continuing any further at this time. It's amazing how time distorts what we remember of something we once enjoyed. Now, I can't help but think what this series had which I originally found intriguing.

Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. I had to fight to get through episode 3, and it sure doesn't help when every single episode spends a fair amount of time recapping the entire series up to that point (reminder: episode 3!).

Maybe one day, when I'm stuck at home, sicker than a dog, I'll try again, but not while I'm of sound mind (I think).

I also tried watching a series which almost looks like a rip-off of Rozen Maiden called "Le Petit Croissant", or something like that. Okay, it's definitely no rip-off, but I couldn't get into it. I watched the "first" part of 3 of the OVA, but that was enough. I didn't know what the hell was going on, so I'll try again when I'm more alert.
By the way: when did it become standard to separate a freakin' OVA into parts, anyway? Geez, it's [bleep] annoying.

Welp, so much for Netflix for a while.
*throws in Lucky Star.

Ahhh.... much better.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Corpse Princes and this all I have to say about the series: spoiler[What the hell was up with the ending?! How could they just leave it in the middle of a fight between Makina and Hokuto. And then I got trolled with that blasted "special" episode of how Minai met her contracted Monk. I like the series but the ending made it such a let down. I hope that in the future they will consider continuing the series, or at least make an OAV to give it a proper ending.]

I'm now back to watching Samurai Champloo on the week-ends. I dropped it back in the summer to watch things like Highschool of the Dead. I forgot how awesome the show is and wonder to myself over why I dropped it. I'm also watching Ghost Hunt on the week-days. Why? Because, like Corpse Princess, I love horror anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night. I'll admit I watched it dubbed, largely because I like both the dub and the sub, and let's face it Phil Hartman as Jiji is hilarious. I love Miyazaki's work and this is another one I watch when I need a little pick me up, particularly the way the city Kiki lives in looks is a sense of inspiration for things that I write.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
I am perfectly happy with the dub for Kikki's Delivery Service, and i love that one too. The theme is great, there are no hideous changes to the main character or awful catastrophic threats, and the setting is superb, one of his best turn of the century golden age era ones.....and I think the voice casting of the dub is just about perfect.

I am about to start on Clannad and from a peek I think I shall like it very much. I looked for good school themes and had to throw out Nergma! because of the awful main male character voicing (who on earth thought up that choice!) and Rumble School because I can't stand Bad Boy main characters they verge on abusers and I just don't find that appealing at all. Clannad looks like a winner.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Rumble School
Laughing
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to finish Bakemonogatari and Nodame Cantabile season 1 sometime this week, most likely on Thursday. I was watching Aquarion, but I've put it on hold due to schoolwork. I'll have to finish it up along with the other shows I'm watching. It doesn't seem that bad (or as bad as I thought it would be), but it could have done so much better. For example... If they did better character development, and not have 10 different pilots for the mecha. Hell, you barely see around half of them pilot anyways. I'm still enjoying it though, probably because I'm a mecha anime fanboy.

Rukiia wrote:
I'm also watching Ghost Hunt on the week-days.

I've been feeling the need to rewatch that series. I loved it, the terror was built up well, and the arcs were pretty good. I wished it had more episodes though. I can only wish for a second season. Oh, they could have done more character explorations too.
Han Solo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
About to finish off volume 3 of Neon Genesis. - I've already submitted why I'm watching it.

EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm going to finish Bakemonogatari

I've actually just started watching Bakemonogatari a while ago. I'm watching it because I got a list of anime infront of me, closed my eyes, and pointed the finger at the screen, and the finger pointed at Bakemonogatari.

Decided to watch Cowboy Bebpop, never given it a chance, but I'll carry on since I'm very impressed. (my relationship with anime is on and off, hence why I haven't seen all the most watched/well known anime)
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching New Getter Robo and what an awesomely cheesy, bloody and badass show it was. Not since Gurren Lagann have I seen a mecha anime with this much burning, manly passion (which is fitting since that show borrowed heavily from the Getter Robo mythos). Of course, when it comes to manliness TTGL has got nothing on NGR.

The series was a pretty faithful adaptation of the original seventies manga, except that NGR replaced the classic Dinosaur Empire with the Oni and mixes in a bunch of plot elements from the later manga series', as well a healthy dose of Heian era Japan (steampunk style!) and historical figures. Plus the characters are even more psychoticly badass and the story makes even less sense! Awesome! I also really dug the retro art style (too bad the animation wasn't always up to the task) and the music (the lyrics score bonus points for being mostly about how badass the pilots and the Getter are).

My only regret is that I didn't watch this earlier, because Ryoma definetily would have been a worthy candidate in the tournament.

Rating: Very Good & highly recommended for all Super Robot fans.

Now watching: Getter Robo Armageddon!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching all of Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Now, I'm no Type-Moon know it all, but I had to get a few of my friends who are huge fans of TM to help me out while watching. Mainly because the series is an AU of Tsukihime and I've only read one route out of that and bits of the others. So I was filled in on the magic system (as movie 5 and 6 has it, I was given the crash course, seeing as I'm not sitting through Rin's first day ) I already knew enough about Mystic Eyes of Death Perception so I was just given the rundown on how it works in KnK.

My only problem was the fact, I had to go look up a lot of stuff from the TM world in order to understand somethings. But, anyone who enjoys their works knows everything is connected somehow .....

Out of the 7 movies I have to say movies 2,4 and 6 were my favs.

2/4 for the fact it's character building for Shiki and Mikiya. The second movie seems like it would go first in the timeline, but you don't get the full story till later down the road. spoiler[Movie 7 flashes back to the scenes in movie 4 giving the full scene of the car crash ect ect] But, both movies explain spoiler[Shiki's two personality's SHIKI and Shiki, Male and Female, yin and yang, good and evil to put it as the movies said. ]

I enjoyed 6 because I thought it was interesting to see Mikiya's sister. spoiler[Who's more akin to Akiha from Tsukihime. Even though her magic is different compared to hers] The spoiler[fairy fight at the end was great. The animation on Azaka running on the tops of chairs, falling down and setting the big fairy on fire was just wonderful]

The movie I didn't care much for was 5. I know a lot of people who praise that as being the best in the series, but. I mean I cried at the end but I thought it was dragged out and something weren't fleshed out enough to work. But, I'm going with that was the style they wanted for the movie so ....

Overall it's a great series, go watch it if you haven't. Even if you're not a TM fan it's still great.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Broken Blade 4
Now this is quality mecha. It's getting awesome, and I can't wait for the next movie!
Still loving the character designs and budget, and I'm really loving the way she is using the same voice she did on Senjougahara.
Would have never imagined, but this series is heading for a solid 10/10 if they keep it up.

Durarara! 25
Very fun episode, with plenty of Shizuo for those who love watching him throwing vending machines! I must say that my enthusiasm died halfway through Durarara!, but this episode reminded me of just how amazing the anime can be, mostly because they handle that number of characters perfectly.

Floating Material
Not very surprisingly they weren't shy about copying the design of K-ON's Mio. It was about time...
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been putting a lot of things in my will not finish category lately. Ga-Rei Zero would have been a total waste of time if not for the interesting twist in episode one. Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro was hilarious when they tried to be dramatic, but boring and predictable everywhere else. Princess Tutu was just...weird.
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Broken Blade 4
Now this is quality mecha. It's getting awesome, and I can't wait for the next movie!
Still loving the character designs and budget, and I'm really loving the way she is using the same voice she did on Senjougahara.
Would have never imagined, but this series is heading for a solid 10/10 if they keep it up.

Couldn't agree more! Really love this set of movies and hope they get a nice BR release here. I'm so in love with the OP it's not even funny.

Other than that still trudging through The soul taker, which is not as bad as people have stated. Some interesting designs and direction. The story and writing is probably the weakest feature. Still not bad so far.

Also watching Gasaraki which i've put on hold. It's pretty damn bland. The leads are so lifeless and uninteresting as is the overly complex plot. Not sure I'm gonna complete this one, but I did get it super cheap with soul taker.

Finished Origin: spirits of the past movie. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. I'd probably give it a very good just for the Amazing intro alone. I was just not blown away by the story and the environmental message seemed to be jammed down my throat .
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hikikomori Safari wrote:
Other than that still trudging through The soul taker, which is not as bad as people have stated. Some interesting designs and direction. The story and writing is probably the weakest feature. Still not bad so far.

I'm working my way through that one for the first time, too. Watched episode 4-6 this weekend. Maybe my memory is exaggerating a little, but I thought the artwork improved a little in these three episodes; by which I mean they used enough less black that I almost never had trouble telling what was going on. The plot is a bit choppy, and I think I facepalmed when they dropped the daddy of all cliches, but I'm not regretting blind-buying it. (Although that maybe damning it with faint praise, being as much of a Shinbo fan as I am).
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Broken Blade 4

I wasn't too impressed with the first two movies, but the third and fourth movies have been significantly better with some great battles. I do like how the main character spoiler[is no sissy trying to bring about permanent peace and moralising how horrible war is, but rather an ordinary guy who has nevertheless accepted that he needs to be a cold-hearted killer if his country is going to survive. He's already killed in the equivalent of eight episodes more enemies than some Mecha protagonists kill in fifty.] The desert terrain gets tedious after a while, but it is beautifully drawn to be sure. That all said, the big-chested twelve-year-old jailbait and the twenty-five-year old psychotic Loli are kind of a bit grating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 567 of 1060