• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
"The next Steamboy" Ouch.
I think a lot of your specific objections can be rebutted, but it helpsif you liked the film for the rebuttals to make sense!
(E.g. You refer to the lack of rules governing things, whereas I saw a pointed contrast between the internet, where anything is possible, and the real world, where relationships and family history constrain everything.)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I just finished up The Wallflower today. It was cute but spoiler[I'm sad that they gave it a cliff-hanger ending. Hopefully they will give it a second season when the manga is finished. I want to see Kyohei and Sunako's relationship bloom.]

I'm still enjoying One Piece yet had a bit of a delay due to waiting for my next boxset to come in the mail. I am currently at episode 56 and have watched the first movie.

I'm also watching Vampire Knight. It was yet another series I dropped when I found out that it got licensed. I then bought the complete series set and will pick up where I left off (which was episode 5). I'm a sucker for Vampire series and had to give this one a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I've started watching Orguss 2, because it's so highly spoken of. And I love it. I'm two thirds of the way through now, and I haven't been this immediately excited about anything I've watched in a long time.

I have some gripes though about the Manga release.
Apart from in the first episode, the opening song does not match the subtitles.
And they've done an incredibly distracting thing in removing original Japanese subtitles through the show. Characters will make hand signals to each other, or speak in a foreign language, and the Manga release just gives English subtitles to explain. Each time this happens, I think "Wait, I don't understand. Where's the Japanese that these are the subtitles for? Oh I get it, they must have removed original text again", and while my mind is thus distracted that I miss things, so I need to rewind.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
Just finished...

Dragon Crisis - Already posted on the thread for it, but...
I ranked this "Decent" because it really wasn't anything new, kinda bored me and annoyed me, had a few interesting sequences in the middle, and had a really good ending. Not something I would particularly recommend unless someone was just looking for some light entertainment with a little of everything - including the cliche. The ending totally saved this one for me though. It's nice to see a series actually end. My biggest complaint about the show is that the awesome intro song/sequence was completely wasted on the series. Obviously, the ending was my favorite part.

Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk - So, at first I thought this was a story about D&D players and had no clue there were video/arcade games. My fiance and I were completely engrossed by all the D&D type elements incorporated by the series. Knowing that it's based off an arcade game made certain episodes even more hilarious than they were without any prior knowledge. I love all the silly elements of parody inserted into the serious plot. Character designs were average and nothing exciting. Loved Melt and Coopa! What an amazing duo! Maybe I'm just crazy about them because Melt's a really awesome mage! Anime hyper Was surprised by the ending, but saw a few of the plot twists coming from miles away.

Tower of Druaga: Sword of Uruk - is it wrong that I was bothered that he didn't have his original sword & board until the end??? Second season was just as good as the first, but left a lot of the parody elements out in exchange for more fan service and action. I like how they reinforce that Neeba is spoiler[a total jerk] in season two. It's like they said "hey, if you didn't pick up on this earlier, we're gonna spell it out for you. He's an spoiler[a-hole] through and through." I actually thought spoiler[Neeba would come through and slay Gil right at the end and that totally didn't happen. LOL Great plot twists at the end!]

Absolutely loved the ending and was completely content with the entire package.

One of the best parts about this series is the uncertainty. After spoiler[one of the side characters died unexpectedly], I realized how vulnerable all the characters were and began to fully understand the weight of their expeditions. Each time someone spoiler[took a big hit or fell unconscious], I genuinely was concerned. I felt like all the characters could bite it at any minute and that heightened my emotions significantly during the fight scenes. It's also good to know that they don't create loopholes out of thin air to transmute a "happy ending" where spoiler[everyone lives happily ever after and everyone who died is brought back to life].

Overall, I think the Tower of Druaga series will easily rank in a top 30 for me if I went back and reworked the list. The animation quality may have been a bit drab but I loved everything else - especially the musical score, plot, character development, and interactions between the characters. Will be purchasing this one for my fiance for his birthday. I think he loved it more than I did and that's saying something!

Still watching...
Level E - The middle lulled for me a bit, but I'm glad they're bringing it home with the original concept. Love watching the Prince's antics and am very interested in how this one ends. This was probably my favorite of the season.

Kimi ni Todoke S2 - Finally got to see what I wanted to see. I'm completely caught up in the series to where I left off in the manga and I'm looking forward to more of the spoiler[Sawako x Kazehaya relationship] that blossomed in the last few episodes. Kazehaya is a total hottie. Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper
I didn't particularly enjoy all the "confusion" and misunderstandings of this season. It was downright blatant what was being misunderstood and just seemed like a way to cause more drama without having something actually happen.

Yumekui Merry - I think I've just about stalled on this one. It has a great concept, but I'm just not impressed with it. Maybe it's the light harem-esque elements. Maybe it's the lack-luster fight scenes and stereotypical motivations for the characters. Still pushing through it. Waiting for it to get good.

Infinite Stratos - Don't know what I was expecting. I guess I was hoping for some good mecha action and I should have seen the cliche plot progression of the harem flavor 10 miles away. I like harem, but maybe I'm just burnt out on it... This series is exhausting.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? - This series reminds me of the song "Hot and Cold" by Katy Perry. It's really good and then it really sucks. I wish it would just make it's mind up. Hopefully, it ends well. They had such a neat concept and are bogging it down with... well, harem and cheap humor.

Wandering Son - Quite possibly my second favorite of the season, behind Level E. I like the real elements and complex situations this series offers. The entire show and characters feel so delicate at times. It's like everything is constantly on the verge of breaking. Very interesting show. Would love to see this come out in the US so I can purchase it.

Gosick - Disappointing. It gets good and then it falls right back down. I keep watching because I'm interested in what Victorique really is. Overall, I'm pretty bored with it.

Fractale - Probably #3 for me this season. I'm into all that political stuff though and enjoy things like 1984 and Animal Farm so this one is totally up my alley. The fiance and I plan to marathon the last 4 episodes once the final one airs. This would normally be the #1 on a list of things I'm currently watching, but Level E and Wandering Son are just too incredible.

Those Who Hunt Elves - Re-watching this one after about 4 years. It's more enjoyable than I remembered. I still laughed to the point I had to grab my inhaler during the spoiler[toilet paper bears] episode. I hadn't seen my fiance laugh so hard during a series before either. This was a Christmas present for him last year, so I'm really glad he's enjoying it.

Yu Yu Hakusho - we just started re-watching this one. My fiance has never seen it and this will be my 3rd time through the series. YuYu was one of the reasons I got into anime, but maybe I'm only remembering the good stuff because this show is totally dragging in season one. I know that it picks up later. I just don't remember it being so slow...

I don't expect that I'll be watching as many next season. The wedding stuff is starting to pick up significantly and I have like no time to even post on the forums anymore. Anime cry Additionally, I think there's only 2 or 3 shows that actually peaked my interest for Spring 2011.

In the "Soon to be watching": Eva 2.2!!!! Ordered it last week and it should be here shortly. Can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Infinite Stratos - [...]This series is exhausting.

The right hand exhausting kind, or the exhausting exhausting?
chachaboru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman...
i'm watching it because i think the art is nice...
and when i watched it i kinda liked it...
i also like the fact that they want to pursue their dreams first before they get together... that's kinda hard, especially if you found out you both like each other...
anyway, i like how they can't achieve success that fast, and how they work hard to get serialized...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I fired up Netflix last night, which hasn't been done in a few weeks (gotta find a reason to justify the $8/mo. cost) and I was bombarded with a crapload of new streams from our good friends at FUNimation (bless you all).

With that, I fired up my queue and launched Rin: Daughters of Mmmm. Okay, the "Mmmmm" part's mine, as it's actually Mnemosyne, but it was just easier to think of "Mmmmm". Plus, it's been a tasty show so far (at ep. 3 now, of 6. They're 45 mins. in length).

I'll be adding this little beauty into my DVD collection without regret.

Gore. It's not just someone who invented the internet.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ow. I just watched the extra episode of Oreimo (13). Why wasn't the whole series like this again? Waiting for more Kuroneko goodness next ep.

Please tell me Towards the Terra gets better. I'm very allergic to shounen shouting, and so far it doesn't stop...
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Finished Toradora!, available subbed-only from NIS America
I recently scratched off a title on my anime backlog, Toradora! If I had to list off some cons about the show, it would have to be: not enough Ami and it ended. The show was slow to start for me but I was addicted to it early on in the series. It had an amazing cast but Taiga's seiyuu is on another level not to downplay everyone else.

Looking through Rie Kugimiya's credits, I see an Alphonse Elric for one of her roles. It just amazes me to see how perfect she is as a calm, collected, and mature character in the Fullmetal Alchemist series. I am very well aware of her reputation as the "Queen of Tsundere." I am completely swept off my feet to see her talents firsthand as she can switch from violent and explosive to cute and innocent in the same scene.

I especially love the second ending theme, Orange, sung by the three female leads. The catchy beat just had me hooked within seconds of it starting. The short scene of Ryuji baking the orange tart just was a nice addition.

Everything about the series was just good, the characters especially. It got a little drama heavy the last four episodes but I really enjoyed the "natural" resolution of everything including the ending and epilogue.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two seasons (well, all of season two that's been released so far at least...) of Toaru Majutsu no Index, and I've come to the conclusion that the male protagonist suffers from mild autism. I can honestly count on one hand the number of times he defeated an enemy and then had the common sense to tie the bugger up before he could activate the doomsday devise/start casting more spells/run away. I'd have said that I can't count on one hand the number of times the latter is allowed to happen, but that would technically be lying because I know how to count to 1032 using binary finger counting.
I think this show belongs within my "crap I like anyway" list. The action and characters are just barely interesting enough to distract me from the flimsy and indecisive narrative. I think Toradora! probably could have found itself a nice home there as well, if the ending hadn't been so ridiculous.
So as of right now, the only show currently being released that I actually like is Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, which is brilliant; like if the creators of Cardcaptor Sakura had been locked up and sprayed with hoses during their formative years.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Infinite Stratos - [...]This series is exhausting.

The right hand exhausting kind, or the exhausting exhausting?

ROFL

It's more like taking pills to watch it, for me anyways... LOL

Just finished...

Wandering Son - I'm good with the ending. Loved the show and would love to see a US release, but I doubt that will ever happen. I'm really glad they didn't turn this into a "screaming fangirl" type show where they just played up the crossdressing as something girls swoon over. I'm glad they kept the show "real" and touching. A few more episodes would have been nice, but I'm good with how it ended. Ranked it a Masterpiece. Why? Because I thought it really did something original, the pacing was great, and it was a very heartfelt and relatable story.

Aoi Hana - Picked this up right after finishing Wandering Son. I was hoping for something similar and I definitely got that "real" feeling from this show. I did not care for the ending at all. When I hit episode 11, I was really expecting much more from the series. Rated this one a Decent. Why? I didn't really feel like it took us anywhere. They resolved one point that wasn't really an "issue", it was just more of a realization that could have led to something much bigger. Kind of a let down. But still worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Listeria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I am currently watching Paradise Kiss. I finished episode 8 and am loving this slice of life anime especially the interaction between Yukari and George. It's quite the love-hate relationship if you ask me. What made me want to watch it is the catchy opening. In fact I was able to find the full length song and download it Wink Yes, I'm a sucker for good anime opening and closing songs (right now I'm listening to the full length opening song of Fruits Basket as I'm typing this post Wink )
I just recently got back to watching anime either on DVD or on the internet. What I've watched so far in order of 1st to most recent:

Romeo x Juliet (Hulu.com and then my husband bought me the complete collection for Christmas Wink )
Kaze no Stigma
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Clannad (Watched it online but am waiting for the dubbed version of After Story)
Fruits Basket
Nodame Cantabile, Nodame Cantabile Paris Hen, Nodame Cantabile Finale
Howl's Moving Castle (I watched it twice:streaming online and DVD)
Basilisk
Ouran High School Host Club
Full Metal Panic: 1st season, Fummoffu, and the Second Raid
Shattered Angels

Ghost Hunt
Kanon
Suzuka
Elfen Lied
Moonphase
Spirited Away

Old anime I've watched: Candy Candy, Voltes V, Daimos, Mazinger Z, and Voltron
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Dirty Pair TV 2 set the other day.

First off, I really appreciate the booklet, at one time nearly every anime release had a booklet even for the most unworthy of titles but since the U.S. anime industry crashed this trend deservedly diminished. However, for a classic show like Dirty Pair, a more "Criterion-esque" treatment is welcome and in my opinion, necessary for context. Why is this show a classic? What were the minds behind this franchise? These are things where booklets are welcome. Yeah, you could stick it in the extras section on the DVD, but there's nothing like reading a mini-booklet on the can in the morning!

As for the show, it's nice to see an episodic anime that's paced in a less manga-esque manner. A lot of more modern episodic anime tend to be slower paced, often an episode can be about a guy going to one room and then him and his enemy grunting at each other for 16 minutes before a 3 minute battle to resolve the episode. This can work over 20 pages in a manga, but I kind of prefer episodic stories to be a little more action packed because of the limited time frame.

In Dirty Pair, the two girls can go from their apartment to a space maze to a secret laboratory and back again within a 10 minute span and still put in enough room for their personalities to shine. In a certain way, it's paced more like an American episodic show, and I kinda like that.
hailthecrisis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I am currently watching Fullmetal Alchemist.

Why? Because I am new to anime and it seemed to be rated well overall.

Next I will be watching Bleach and Berserk.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Wolverine. I rated it as Weak.

(For comparison, I rated Iron Man as Good.)

Below is my thoughts about it. I didn't write all that much since I (usually) don't like dwelling on the truly messed up; it's like staring at an intellectually disabled kid.

Surprisingly watchable for something so terrible.

On merit alone I would have given it a rating of Awful - it really is dreck - but despite finding myself in a near constant state of eye-rolling I did not find the show painful. Maybe it was Yukio's outfit that made things easier? My advice is to go in with the lowest possible expectations with regards to the characters, story, action scenes and the believability factor, and you may indeed find it tolerable. Just never forget that it really is a giant turd and an embarrassing entry in Madhouse Studio's portfolio. I mean come on, trashy Anime is like fast food; you expect a low minimum standard that is not at all hard to meet, and if the burger joint or studio cannot even match that then they have truly failed.

Anyway, if you have not watched this yet then A: congratulations, you made a better decision than I did, and B: try to keep it that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 576 of 1062