• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Just finished watching Wolverine. I rated it as Weak.

(For comparison, I rated Iron Man as Good.)

That's interesting.

I've seen neither, honestly, but what has been said elsewhere would appear to suggest Wolverine is really just a mindless action series with a simple yet effective plot as an excuse, which goes hand in hand with many of the protagonist's comic book adventures, while Iron Man tried to be something more elaborate than that but turned out to be too episodic and didn't exactly meet the expectations it originally raised.

You're probably coming at it from a different angle though, but it's good to see different opinions about both titles.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
A couple of days ago, I finished up Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. I had stated I would buy this series, but now, not so much. I'm sure I will get it (when it's $20), but anything more, and I'd be disappointed with the purchase because the ending to this left me disappointed as a whole.

Personally, I wish the series never ended. I enjoyed the "let's take a case and investigate while Mimi gets sexually assaulted for information when Rin's not available to stand in for her and see who dies today" episodic delivery.

Such a shame. It's still good, and I recommend a stream, but I'd hold off on the purchase until it's been seen.

Following this was Corpse Princess and I have to say I was impressed by a considerable amount of attributes this series delivered me and it will end up in my collection because of them.

First up was the story pace: I had to take a few breaks because I couldn't keep up as it flew by. I watched the first 13 episodes before going to bed last night not even realizing I was at ep 13! Unfortunately, though not disappointing too much, the next 13 episodes tend to do a bit more "recapping" I found ridiculously placed.

Second were likable characters. Hell yes! All of them! They interacted well, performed well, and each brought something to the story worthy of actually caring for them (to the point you start to wonder how they died and what regret they carry). With the fast pace story and the number of characters, this was an absolute must and it performed well. Luci Christian, if you're reading, you have once again showed why you're freakin' awesome as a VA.

Thirdly, the animation and art was nice. Now, don't go thinking this is a Studio Ghibli work here. It's not, but at the same time, it's not as bad as some series taking animation shortcuts or cropping scenes to justify the cost-saving expense. Expect to see fluid motion in well-done fight scenes, and very little pan & scan.

I'm looking forward to the complete collection or a major sale price on this one so I can comfortably place it in my "C" section.

Okay, that was just gross.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Shukufuku no Campanella
It gets better later on, but sometimes it's just so plain. It was hard to get close to the characters because they are as standard as it comes. Maybe, well, besides the mischievous pink haired sister. Now Chelsea looks just amazing, but her personality is just as plain as it gets.
This isn't the kind of show you'd be annoyed at (well, unless you have a problem with sexualized lolies), but nothing you'd really go out of your way to watch. I give it a 6/10 because at least the art is pretty good, otherwise this sort of plainness would definitely be 5/10.

Nana to Kaoru
Weird stuff. Not exactly the story, but the character design and the fact that the characters are blushing the entire time sorta crept me out. Not sure I'll watch a second OVA if there's one.

2 episodes left on Tayutama. Not sure why, but I just don't feel like it. It was neither bad nor good in the beginning, but it just grew worse and worse, which must be why I'm stalled.
Update: finished it. Ouch. Now that was generic.

I've also made my way up to episode 53 of Fist of the North Star. I'll be so pissed off if spoiler[Rei die.] And considering that this series is unforgiving I'm quite sure he will. And I must admit that he made it a lot more enjoyable with his anti-hero attitude and Oberstein's voice.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
You're probably coming at it from a different angle though, but it's good to see different opinions about both titles.

Well from the opinions I've seen on the Net I do realise that I'm in the minority on this for thinking that Iron Man was better. I guess I would rather have a show that was more ambitious and better. Yes, for all that Wolverine was unambitious, it still failed at what it set out to achieve; that's where my fast food analogy came in. The action was mindless in the extreme, and it wasn't even very believable. Yep, even for the mutants.

Take spoiler[Koh's death. He's behind Shingen while Yukio has Shingen distracted, and we see a kunai land right next to Koh. Shingen goes in for a death blow on Yukio, so Koh steps in the way and takes the blow. Oh no, he couldn't just stab Shingen in the back of the head, he has to move around the distracted Shingen and get fatally slashed without even performing the killing blow on Shingen that would have been all too easy to do. And how does a guy with a bung leg move that fast anyway? And there was all those times Logan could have sliced Omega Red's throat but didn't, just so the mindless action could continue. Or how Logan and Kikyo were both depicted as able to deflect bullets fired from assault rifles, yet both got hit by nerve darts when they could easily have caught or deflected the darts with ease. And of course, the whole series had made Shingen out to be a badarse, yet he gets killed so easily and suddenly; within nine seconds from going for the death kill on an exhausted Logan, Shingen has been stabbed in the throat and the fight is over. It's as if the creators realised that time was running out so they just ended the fight, never mind keeping things consistent.]

The reason why I concentrated so much on the fighting is because that was the best part of the entire show. Half the plot was to rescue Mariko (that's no spoiler), yet we got only the faintest idea of why Logan fell for her in the first place. That's something that might be important given that she is the driving force behind most of what happens. It is lazy writing to just have them be in love without showing us anything to justify his beyond-masochistic desire to get her back.

Anyway, I don't really want to talk about it any more. It's not healthy. Hopefully X-Men will be better, although I will be watching the first episode with a not insignificant amount of trepidation.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Nana to Kaoru
Weird stuff. Not exactly the story, but the character design and the fact that the characters are blushing the entire time sorta crept me out. Not sure I'll watch a second OVA if there's one.

2 episodes left on Tayutama. Not sure why, but I just don't feel like it. It was neither bad nor good in the beginning, but it just grew worse and worse, which must be why I'm stalled.
Update: finished it. Ouch. Now that was generic.

I have the same opinion on Nana To Kaoru, I watched it and I was thought "What's with the smiles...?" I don't mind the female's design, but the male is just... a creep.

Hrm, I need to finish Tayutama, I saw the first two episodes, and it seemed okay. Plot was not interesting, and the character designs feel (or are) generic. Still, it doesn't bother me, I wonder why.

Anyways, I watched Tiger & Bunny earlier, thought it was pretty good, reminds me a lot of Western superhero shows. I probably won't stick it for too long since it doesn't appeal to me, but I'll give it at least 4 episodes. Next on my list are: Dog Days and a rewatch of Izumo Takeki. I'll probably pull an all nighter tonight for the rewatch of Izumo Takeki.

After that... I guess I'll prepare myself for the Spring Anime I want to watch.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
My nephew is cleaning out all his old fansubs, so he has kindly given many of them to me. Among them are Ranma ½, Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, Nadesico, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, The Vision of Escaflowne & Claymore. Also in the collection are Vampire Princess Miyu, Noir, Trigun and NGE, which I've already seen. He also gave me part episodes of Maison Ikkoku and Devil May Cry. He's an old school anime fan who is of the opinion that it's in decline, although he does admit that nostalgia is a factor. The quality of some is pretty atrocious but that's 90s fansubbing for you.

I'm up to episode 9 of Escaflowne and enjoying it somewhat more than I expected. Unlike some of it's famous 90s contemporaries I'm finding the characters appealing and how they develop rewarding, even if their designs are quaint (the noses!).

Sampled Claymore (ie, the first episode) - Clare is hitting all the right buttons for me. I love interesting, serious and strong female characters. If only I'd seen this sooner I may have advocated more vigorously for her in the current tournament. This is now on top of the list to watch after I finish Escaflowne and Squid Girl (see below).

Also watched the first episode of Rurouni Kenshin. I've seen the movie and the OVAs and I expected it to be more like the movie, so I wasn't disappointed. It's OK without being great, although the possibilities with the relationship between Kaoru and Kenshin seem much greater than Samurai X: Reflection ever managed.

Another sampled is Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 which looks fairly ordinary - a pale relection of Ghost in the Shell - so it'll be low on my list.

Also up to episode 7 of Squid Girl via streaming and I'm enjoying it very much. She's a wonderful creation, even if no-one in the series can hold a light to her. (I guess that's bio-luminescence for you. Smile) The ten minute segments mean that the simple ideas never wear out their welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sukasa_matsuda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
i am watching Nurarihyon no Mago right now ^^ at first i didn't want to watch the anime cause it felt kinda corny watching it cause it's all about yokai and has a little same concept of DNangel with the transformation thingy ^^ ahaha, but when i tried to watch every bit of episode until i reach episode 21 it really was awesome and i begun to love the anime and it's characters the art and effects are also awesome!!

also when i watch Nurarihyon no Mago it makes me more relax and gives me a calm feeling when watching it
Very Happy
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
Finished third disc of Planetes. Finally! finally the series becomes more what I expected it to be from the start. They really should get rid of the first useless 7/8 episodes.
I am still not that impressed with the sloppy art, and the 'dramatic' moments loose their impact because of the cliche dialogue, but the less Tanabe there was, the better. More focus on Yuri and other characters was really beneficial to the plot.

Before my laptop crushed I got to episode 6 of DtB: Gemini of the Meteor, and so far it has been a very good watch, much more interesting than the first season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first eppie of X-Men. I liked it. I lasted 4 episodes of Ironman before bailing and about 10 minutes of Wolverine, but this one might be a keeper if it doesn't start pooping the bed.
an.atticus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching slayers seasons 1-3

season 1 was alright but i feel like the highlight of the series comes from season 2.

I do look foreword to watching seasons 4 and 5 now.

Now on the second half of yu yu hakusho season 2
Kira_Exorcist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just got back into Anime again and some of the stuff I'm watching are:

Bakuman- on episode 3..really enjoying it so far and like the overall idea of it all.

D.Gray Man- on episode 14..enjoying it a lot.

Death Note (Rewatching)- on episode 4..Probably one of my favorite animes of all time just because of the fantastic plot.

Air Gear- on episode 2..liking it so far but can't really give to many impressions.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the first season of Bakuman.. And yes, that was meant to be a double fullstop. Anyway, I rated it as Excellent, and here's why:

Along with Hikaru no Go, one of the best Shounen I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Interesting that both are based on real life occupations.

Okay, so the whole "let's not talk to one another until we have achieved our dreams" bit is a horrendous piece of storytelling, but that's not the fault of the Anime. In fact, from what I can tell, the show at least tried to address the issue as best it could, mainly by focusing more on the characters and their relationships rather than make the actual Manga-making the main focus of the story. And this is why the show worked so well. Delights such as the two boys and their girlfriends, Hattori, Nakai and Nizuma, but many other characters too, really helped bring a standard Shounen formula to life. The subtle twists kept things relatively fresh, while the show's narrative was impressively executed.

I can't wait for the already announced second season. And as for the rating I gave this season, look, it cannot escape such a horrible plot foundation. But it does everything else so well that I have no compunction giving this an Excellent.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I have been working my way reading through (in English translation) the classic Chinese novels, starting with Outlaws of the Marsh, followed by Journey to the West. Romance of the Three Kingdoms will be next. Not long ago I saw the news item on MangaGamer's release of the Koihime Musou visual novel. So I've been watching Crunchyroll's stream of the three seasons of Koihime Musou anime. This started as a couple of episodes a night, but has culminated in a marathon of the last season.

It has been a very silly, often ecchi, and occasionally moving take on the Chinese historical novel (RotTK). There is a vast number of characters, and even more character names, as most use several names. So I sometimes lost track who was who. This makes it very effective when the characters all come together to confront the final antagonist.

It just struck me to wonder if the portrayal of the Nanban (southern barbarians) is a reference to the Miao ethnic group.

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Boring Sunday. Besides perhaps the ending of Star Driver and Ohana-chaaan there was nothing really that good. In other words the rest aren't even worth mentioning... which is why I'll mention it anyway.

Started Detective Conan - You heard it. But I didn't simply start it today... I watched up to episode 12 today. Now this is definitely now the kind of show I'll be marathoning, so today is an exception. Hopefully I'll keep a good pace of perhaps 1 episode per day (before bed!) or something like that.
And when it comes to long series I'm currently making my way through, I still have Fist of the North Star, which is currently at 62, and Eyeshield 21... kinda giving it a long break, I should be around episode 110.

I also watched the first episode of Dog Days and I could notice the presence of a fairly weak form of anime trolling. They really wanted to make me believe it'd be something like Zero no Tsukaima, but ultimately it's far weaker. Which is a shame considering the two leads have seiyus I really like (Star Driver's Takuto, and Nura's Yuki-onna as well as Toradora's cheerful girl).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Nana to Kaoru...well I watched about 10 minutes and skimmed the rest. I didn't skim it because I was bored, I did it because the main male character is ugly as f*ck. And because he's ugly, everything he says sounds soooooooo creepy and disturbing. I mean, it was already pretty dumb because they were both so nervous and shy and it got annoying really fast, but saying it with a face like this, it just becomes scary. Maybe if he had a backbone it'd more tolerable, but he literally has the sunburn red face the entire episode.

Nothing I hate more than ugly male characters, mostly because they're always made really ugly. It works for Desert Punk, but nothing else. Ugly male characters have no place in my half-hentai anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 577 of 1061