• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Most of the way through Crest of the Stars. I love it. The story is so tight and engrossing, and I love the opening.
It's all so well put together. Even the Lafiel-centred fanservice fits in beautifully, as it raises the questions of the aesthetic seductiveness of fascism and dominant races, etc.
simmeh

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Most of the way through Crest of the Stars. I love it. The story is so tight and engrossing, and I love the opening.
It's all so well put together. Even the Lafiel-centred fanservice fits in beautifully, as it raises the questions of the aesthetic seductiveness of fascism and dominant races, etc.

Aye, it is really well put together, and one of my favourite series along with its sequels (look at my avatar for further proof). I love the fact that there is this grand sense of conflict going on that is so much bigger than anything the main characters could ever hope to control, and through that builds their story.

Actually, Crest, Banner 1, and Banner 2 work together very well as a 3-act epic. Crest both sets up the galactic conflict and brings Jinto and Lafiel together, forming a child-like relationship of trust and affection. Banner 1 engages the galactic conflict and reunites J&L, this time as adults in a more mature relationship. Banner 2 culminates by showing exactly what the war means to the Abh and by putting the relationship of the two leads to an ultimate test.

If I could bring one complaint, it would be that some of the more interesting side characters (such as the other members of Lafiel's crew in Banners 1&2) don't get enough face time. Getting to know the major players in the galactic war was cool, but some of those minor characters really deserve more than they got.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've been on an anime slump lately, but I recently found the time to sit down and watch Iczer 1 and Iczer 3, in order to keep up with my robot anime included in SRW. Iczer 1 was pretty good in terms of being a horror based scifi show, but Iczer 3 was kind of a meh "let's find out what being human is!" kind of show. Now I need to sit down and watch Linebarrels of Iron....and maybe Macross Frontier.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
....and maybe Macross Frontier.

Do you own the Blu-rays? It's a shame that we will probably never be able to purchase it domestically for a lower price.

I have nothing to watch so I picked up the first Gunslinger Girl BD. This seems like a very deep show. I'm curious to see where all of these lolicon debates come from. I wish FUNimation would have included the original 2.0 audio instead of those two faux surround tracks. It sounds really bad Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Uh-oh, FaytLein - for somebody with a backlog of unwatched anime titles as large as yours, being in an anime slump is not a good sign...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm in a bit of a slump myself. I need to rethink this "Currently Watching" way of viewing anime. It seems like I'm putting so much on myself to watch X amount of episodes of X shows during the week that I feel too burned out to watch my huge backlog of DVDs or BDs, and I have a nice one consisting of things like Baccano and Queen's Blade. Queen's Blade! ON BLU-RAY! There are other shows as well, but QUEEN'S BLADE! I have unwatched, HD titties sitting on my shelf (amusingly between Princess Tutu and Ranma), and that disturbs me.

I also need to get out of this slump because I have Baka and Test, Rideback, and, my most anticipated purchase of the year, High School of the Dead coming within the next month, and I'll be pissed if I don't feel like watching these when they arrive.

I think when Summer arrives I'll pick out my shows, but only follow a handful, and probably the ones that look like they'll have a nice talkback. I'll do the rest like I'm doing to Steins;Gate and Softenni this season and shelf them for a late date.

EDIT: Holy crap! I just checked my MAL, and the last TV series I completed that wasn't currently airing was Bakemonogatari. On February 18. I've watched a few OVAs and movies, but that's it. I may be worse off than I initially thought...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I hear ya, TKoH. I am absurdly trying to follow 28 - no, that's not a typo - currently airing shows. However, unlike you, I have managed to watch all of muh Queen's Blade BD. Finished the second half tonight at work. It's awesome! It's gonna be hard not to watch the second season fansubbed, but I'd rather wait until MB comes out with the complete collection.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I hear ya, TKoH. I am absurdly trying to follow 28 - no, that's not a typo - currently airing shows. However, unlike you, I have managed to watch all of muh Queen's Blade BD. Finished the second half tonight at work. It's awesome! It's gonna be hard not to watch the second season fansubbed, but I'd rather wait until MB comes out with the complete collection.

I limited myself to five shows from the current season. Yea I watched Queen's Blade on BD twice (to review it) and it is one of the best looking anime BD's I have in my collection. I think the only thing that I have that would top that in image quality would be the Nanoha Movie BD which looks stunning from what I have seen so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I finished Tantei Opera Milky Holmes about two days ago and thought it ws a very good show. I enjoyed most of the humor and I thought the Milky Holmes girls were all decent characters. I also thought the spoiler[final showdown between the Milky Holmes crew and Gentlemen Thief group was well done, but I felt the very ending where they forget the villain was school president and them losing there 'toys' again detracted from it a bit. Also, I felt that the student council President's feelings changed suddenly in the last episode only to change back five minutes later.] I guess I will go back to watching Steins;Gate and Moshidora now.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Uh-oh, FaytLein - for somebody with a backlog of unwatched anime titles as large as yours, being in an anime slump is not a good sign...

I have 952 discs in my "not yet seen" pile. Oh well, plenty of time to watch it all.....except it keeps growing and growing!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
I am slowly getting through Red Garden.

Seriously, what's up with all the singing? I am so far enjoying it. It does not seem to be anything special, so it will probably be a while until I fihish the series, but so far so good. reminds me a bit of Witch Hunter Robin (the atmosphere, maybe the art as well). A part from the musical-like scenes, the music is not very memorable.

I would like to get started on Mushi-shi which I dropped after 2 eps, and perhaps see the second season of Spice and Wolf...
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Seriously, what's up with all the singing? I am so far enjoying it. It does not seem to be anything special, so it will probably be a while until I fihish the series, but so far so good. reminds me a bit of Witch Hunter Robin (the atmosphere, maybe the art as well). A part from the musical-like scenes, the music is not very memorable.
Hey, man--Red Garden (and its music, mainly outside of the singing scenes) are damn good. It's one of my favorites. Mad Coincidentally enough, I just finished another rewatch of my DVD a couple of days ago.

But as much as I love the show, I'll be the first to say the singing isn't the greatest. Thankfully, though--after episode 6--there's no more of that.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Hey, man--Red Garden (and its music, mainly outside of the singing scenes) are damn good. It's one of my favorites. Mad Coincidentally enough, I just finished another rewatch of my DVD a couple of days ago.

But as much as I love the show, I'll be the first to say the singing isn't the greatest. Thankfully, though--after episode 6--there's no more of that.

I have not noticed much music apart from the Les-Miserables wannabe songs. I just found it strange how you have a normal scene and then everyone goes out and starts singing how hard their life is. Specially the scene with Herve leaving the hospital was a bit weird.
I am not saying it is a bad show, it's just it is not quite what I expected. but a good watch so far and I dont regret picking it up.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I have not noticed much music apart from the Les-Miserables wannabe songs. I just found it strange how you have a normal scene and then everyone goes out and starts singing how hard their life is. Specially the scene with Herve leaving the hospital was a bit weird.
I am not saying it is a bad show, it's just it is not quite what I expected. but a good watch so far and I don't regret picking it up.
Never seen Les Miserables, so not sure what you mean by that. Surprised But yeah, like I said, even though I obviously don't have as much of a problem with them as you do, they're far from the show's finest hour. And again, like said, Herve's one by the pool is that last one in the show, so you won't have to worry about that anymore.

And yeah--despite being classified as a horror show, I personally wouldn't really call it much of one at all--through my eyes, it doesn't really try to go for that angle too much. It's the kind of show that gets better as it goes along, though, so hope you continue to enjoy it even more.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sun May 29, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It's been a bad week of villains calling the good guys sinners.

First the stupid Crunchyroll contest I participated in got me to watch 11Eyes- bad show, finally stopped watching it around the seventh or eighth episodes. Shallow characterization, really bad dialogue, tragedy used in place of depth and bad guys who cackle and smirk and torture bystanders and proclaim their superiority and keep meaninglessly calling the protagonists "sinners"

Yesterday we have Gosick, featuring the big bad guy spoiler[raping and chaining down a girl until she gives birth, sipping his wine, pouring it on her screaming body while giving birth] and calling her, yes, a sinner.

And it ends with Deadman Wonderland, which not only has the absolutely stipid power called "branches of sin" but this week featuresspoiler[ a god-damned "ultra-priest" Rolling Eyes who like to shoot and presumably kill with a freaking v-necked guitar/air cannon] Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes in order to "save [their] souls" [cue blood-thirsty licking of lips].

I guess I'm ridiculously lucky Blue Exorcist was a wacky episode mainly featuring cooking contests.

I can only take so much of this theme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 590 of 1062