• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Kuroshitsuji, as I just got the manga and want to see how they compare. So far, I'm enjoying them both Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Finally started His and Her Circumstances (got it in a trade a while ago) and then second episode, there's an ep recap and I hear the music during it and go "boy does that sound familiar....omg hey, that's the Tetsujin 28 theme song, wtf?" but it sure makes me smile :3 I'm going to guess that got lost on a lot of Americans because the only Tetsujin 28 that ever made it over here with the theme intact was the Geneon 2004 (I think that's the year) version (Gigantor made its own theme) but I'm wagering Japanese audiences got a nice kick out of hearing that theme. So there's a bit of trivia if anyone was curious.

I do kinda like that the girl is a complete attention grubber, but that already seems to be changing by ep 3. Can't tell if this wants to go the more romcom route or just rom route, we shall wait and see! Oh and I like how the eyes have that thing where the pupils are the same colour as the irises, just a darker shade, I just kinda like how that looks, Here is Greenwood did that too if I recall correctly.
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I ordered Air the Motion Picture online and am now rewatching the
tv series. They are such beautiful stories.
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
I ordered Air the Motion Picture online and am now rewatching the
tv series. They are such beautiful stories.

Awesome. I just finished watching the movie a little while ago, and I watched the series last week. Beautiful indeed. Not quite as fantastical and magical as Kanon, but still outstanding none the less.

As for what I'm currently watching, I'm in the middle of the Second Semester for School Rumble. Bought the 2 season 52 episode pack a few weeks back for only $30, thanks Funimation. Anime smile

What a great and funny show. So many outstanding characters with my favorites being Harima, Yakumo, and Lara Gonzalez. Monica Rial's english voice over work as Lara is freaking awesome. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm about 8-9 episodes into the shows I'm streaming weekly right now. That puts me 2/3 of the way through 13 episode stuff and 1/3 through 24 episode stuff. That seems like a good place for an update to me.

Blue Exorcist (TV)
A show that starts really strong with two very well handled establishing episodes. There's surprisingly effective character development. You get a great feel for Rin and his family and how they relate to one another, especially for a first episode. I also have to give the show major credit for not being afraid to start slow instead of pushing right into the action at the expense of development. That's a really good sign. For an episode that's 90 percent Rin's average life it's pretty entertaining. Going forward though, the show is pretty directionless. It takes a full five more or less one off episodes in a row, each seemingly more insignificant than the last, before we finally get even a hint of anything with implications beyond the current episode and I'm eager for it to start working towards something of real consequence.

Still the show is quite a bit of fun even in the mean time. As much as it may fall victim to a ton of the usual shounen and high school cliches, it executes them all so well that I don't especially mind. That's the thing about Blue Exorcist. It's just a really well put together show. It looks great. Production values are high and has a pleasant enough artstyle (especially nice design for some of the demons). Great, lively music, especially for the opening and action scenes. The characters are also a lot of fun. Rin is quite funny and there's a great, comedic dynamic with his brother and really, most of the other characters. I'm very glad that this show is scheduled for 24 episodes because if this show is still entertaining me this much despite just spinning it's wheels so far then I'm really optimistic about it's latter parts.
So Far: Decent

Deadman Wonderland (TV)
This is a very disappointing show. It still looks good and has some solid action scenes. Otherwise though, there are a ton of problems. This show tries way too hard to be not just dark but also really deliberately sadistic. They very deliberately careen wildly back and forth between overly sweet and ridiculously grim. At first I liked how they did this. (ie. playing up Ganta's happy high school life only to tear it all down in the most brutal way possible). However, once you begin to recognize the pattern it quickly begins to feel pretty tacky. There's nothing wrong with a grim and sadistic show of course but when it doesn't flow naturally from the plot, when it feels like they're just trying deliberately to be as sadistic as possible, it just seems trite.

The whole premise at this point seems ridiculously contrived as well. They never really bother to even try and address any of these issues either by explaining how this all works. Everyone just sort of seems to wander around the prison at will. (Even in the ultra-secret G block). I could see that if this was just sort of a "fence em in and leave em to their own devices" kind of thing but then with the exception of the apparent total lack of control, it's this tremendously well kept and more or less structured environment. Everything is neat and clean and organized. There's some guards turn up on occasion but they don't seem to really exert any power over the prisoners. The collars would potentially make much security redundant but then if the hunt for Ganta is any indication, the collars are completely beyond the control of the guards. The whole prison basically seems to operate under the (apparently valid) assumption that all these dangerous, psychotic criminals, many of whom have super powers, are all just perfectly civil and well behaved folk who wouldn't hurt a fly. I mean, for goodness sake, the director apparently just wanders around G block all by himself with no protection whatsoever in among the super-powered killing machines that he systematically tortures. Seriously, how is this man still breathing???

The Carnival of Corpses fights seem equally absurd. Just based on the number of fights and the likely mortality rate, I gotta figure they must go through at least a Dead Man a week. This begs the question: Where do they keep getting em? Is the director managing to go out and frame a good fifty some people a year for murder? Also, would this mean that there are hundreds of Dead Men out there that aren't drawn into Wonderland? Also, the punishment game would seem to have some glaring problems too. spoiler[I mean, they all act like getting a body part chopped out is no biggie and happens frequently to all of them. Minatsuki mentions casually that she's already had her stomach removed.] Am I the only one that sees a serious problem with that statement?

Speaking of Minatsuki, she's quickly becoming a cancer within the show. I'm not even going to comment on the couple of "wacky hi-jinks" ecchi moments they somehow felt were appropriate to throw in. That just left me speechless. There's more beyond that anyway. She's not entirely as sympathetic as the writers seem to believe. She's mostly just a raging psychotic bitch honestly. Also, at least in her first appearance there was an interesting twist. However, since then, she seems to be slowly morphing into a more typical tsundere cliche (albeit a grossly more extreme one that usual). Not only is that cliche annoying as usual it also doesn't particularly jive with the initial impression of her. The other characters are not actually much better either. Ganta is tolerable if a bit of a perpetual moper. He's hardly a particularly likeable or interesting protagonist though. Shiro is virtually devoid of any real personality unless you consider loud to be a personality. They haven't done particularly much with any other character either as nobody else has really been given the attention necessary to develop them.
So Far: Weak

Durarara!! (TV)
Crunchyroll - I'm not exactly sure why the creators of this show are so determined to tell their stories is such a disjointed and uneven manner. I sort of get the impression that the director/writer just like the idea of this because they think it's cool and like the thematic concepts it ties into but when you get down to it they're not particularly adept at actually telling a story this way. There was some of this in Baccano too and in retrospect I'd probably say it detracted from the show there too. It's just very messy and uneven. They disrupt the pace and they often end up sabotaging their own efforts by showing you little snippets out of chronological order and then filling in the context afterwards. More often than not though it just feels jarring and disorienting initially and in turn it takes away the dramatic impact afterwards when they show you how they arrived at this point. The overall story structure can also be problematic. They're so determined to scatter all the pieces on the board right off the bat that the show feels tremendously unfocused. Even eight episodes in we're still without any real central, characters or conflict to truly drive the show. All that said, I actually quite like Durarara so far. It's still rather lively, intriguing and as uneven and unfocused as it may be the show is by no stretch devoid of substance. Whatever character they opt to focus on in an episode generally gets some real nice development. The three school kids are pretty bland but Izaya and Shizuo are both really fascinating characters. I enjoyed their episodes a whole lot. I like Celty too (although I can't help but find her rather out of place in the series). That's where Durarara frustrates me a bit. It seems like a cool story that would stand up just fine on it's own without them trying to get so fancy with the storytelling which makes it's a shame they do and ultimately detract from it in the process. (Again, still rather good though).
So Far: Good

Level E (TV)
I don't know. This seems like a show with the potential to be quite good. It's pretty funny when it tries to be. It's got a nice, rapid fire, back and forth style. It just gets a bit too bogged down in trying to actually tell a semi-serious story though which never quite works, feeling either rushed, silly or unnecessary depending on the particular arc. It ends up disrupting the comedy a lot too because they're so busy trying to cover all their plot points. The first and third episodes feel like they're rushing through a bunch of setup and expositional wrap up respectively. Then, starting at episode 4, they move on to new story arcs which while not as uneven are really just not particularly funny. The third arc is somewhere in between. Though probably not as funny as the first arc it definitely has it's moments. It still suffers from the same issues with unevenness and trying to do a little too much plot-wise. Still, I don't mind this show. It's mostly passably entertaining with some moments where it really shines. It's hardly a must see but a fun distraction.
So Far: So-so

Steins;Gate (TV)
A decent atmosphere. A bit too obtuse and wordy at times but generally a solid SciFi mystery. I definitely have some concerns about where this is all going with only four episodes left but for now I'm mostly enjoying it. There's actually a very nice element of comedy here too. Okarin is so utterly full of shit, and the show knows it and plays it as such. It's quite funny. I liked his sarcastic hacker friend too. Some fun dialogue there between the two. The whole show actually has quite a good sense of humour and a good sense of timing and delivery. I have to applaud the show too for it's very realistic take on the characters. They're nerds and for once, they actually act like nerds. They make "Fail" jokes and giggle at unintentional double entendres and are generally repulsive to women. That's where Kris is actually a very decent character who also has some fun interactions with the other two as well. She acts like a normal, sane person and her interactions with the guys reflect that as she rolls her eyes and/or accuses them of sexual harassment when they act like pigs. It ends up being a rather fun dynamic.

Unfortunately, all that said, this show is a testament to the ability of stupid otaku bullshit and forced harems to absolutely ruin a series. Kris is a good character. The texting one and even the shop keeper actually show some promise too. If they just built around these three female characters I think this could be a pretty good show. But no. They've just got to cram in the whole entire harem. Green hat girl, in addition to acting like she's quite literally mentally deficient, serves no purpose whatsoever beyond otaku bait. She doesn't make sense as a character. Her place within the group doesn't make sense. She's just one big blob of pointless moe dropped in the middle of an otherwise good show to attract otaku. Then of course there's the cat/maid girl whom they also feel the need to shoehorn in for an extended segment every few episodes. Then of course to top it all off there's the shrine girl. Well, technically spoiler[she's actually a boy who dresses like a girl. Or he is, at least until they use their time machine to make him be born a girl instead using the apparently magical power of vegetables] (By the way, this just might be the single most bizarrely specific otaku fetish produced by anime to date). Anyway though...it's not even just that these superfluous characters pop up. I could tolerate that. It's that they waste such an insane amount of time on them. On average they must spend a good third of each episode dicking around with stupid otaku bait bullshit involving these three and for what? Nothing. These characters contribute absolutely nothing to the series. They have no reason to be there. They're just a big disruptive bother that ruins the pace and leaves less room for characters worth pursuing.

Overall, I would still call this a watchable show. It's got enough good parts to make sitting through 5-10 minutes of pointless BS per episode. It just really bugs me that what could be a reasonably good show is marred by a bunch of lame otaku crap.
So Far: Not Really Good
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Houkago no Pleiades - The episodes are only about six minutes long each and their are only four of them, but I thought this ONA was rather cute. Obviously, there wasn't really any character or story development and everything was rather rushed, yet the character designs and animation were great. I might watch this one again soon.
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I finished the School Rumble pack I bought in just under 1 week. That's 52 episodes and 2 ova's. I think I'm all School Rumbled out. Laughing

Currently just started watching this...

I'm not too experienced in mech as of yet, about the only anime's I've watched with any kind of mech genre stuff in it are Burst Angel and Xenosaga, but i must say that through 5 episodes I am very much hooked on this one. Anime smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfmBkErEd6M
point13lank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
Currently I'm watching Sakura card captor - one of my favorites anime.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
A friend let me borrow Darker than Black. It's okay so far but I'm really having trouble spotting much originality in it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I tried, and failed, to refrain from watching a series I want in my collection yesterday. Not that an early viewing would prevent a purchase, but I really wanted to hear Cherami Leigh voice Yoshika again.

Yes, I broke down and started watching Strike Witches 2 on Crunchyroll and have loved every second of it. I've heard grumblings this season wasn't as good as the first, but I'm not sure if I agree. If anything, I find it better. Heck, I'm on episode 8 and didn't even realize it!

Of course, episode 7 will now and forever be what I call the "Nice and Breezy" episode, since it looks to be a trend this will be the "out of place" episode.

I will have to say one thing: I'm disappointed in some of the ways the editing was applied because it really made them stand out to the point they were too obvious. Moonbeams don't come across as three, wide-width horizontal lines.

Despite this little setback, I'm going to give this series an A+ because, as with the first season, I'm having a damn good time watching it.

Mmmmm.... Sanya. Damn, she's smokin' hot all over again!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The following that I am currently watching are:

Blue Drop - After reading good things about this series, on a thread in this forum, I decided to bump it up on my To Watch list and give it a watch. So far I really like the story and been burning through the episodes. Got about 3 left till I finish this series.

Blue Exorcist - I've been seeing people praise this series on here and on my Facebook and then thought "Ah, what the hell? I'll give it a shot.". I then got myself a Crunchyroll subscription so I could watch it in HD format. Gotta say that I love the animation and so far it has been pretty kick-ass

C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility - Been nursing on this series since it first came out as I got distracted by Deadman Wonderland. Currently stuck on episode 2.

Deadman Wonderland - Still loving this show and on episode 8. I REALLY hope someone licenses this series as I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

One Piece - Going to be working on this series for quite some time. Currently on episode 180 and still loving this show.

Read or Die (OAV) - I've been meaning to watch this series for years since I watched a Die Another Day by Madonna AMV back in 2004. The art reminds me alot of Noir for some reason. I also really really like Miss Deep. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I really want to watch C - Control but I can't be bothered, it looks really boring.

I watched an episode of Dogger but it was really rubbish and the art was very dull. I like a bit more color in my anime.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
I really want to watch C - Control but I can't be bothered, it looks really boring.
That's one perplexing sentence!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Finished up Strike Witches 2 this evening and will add an extra "+" to my original score. This is better than the first season, though the plot outline is nearly identical. Here's to hoping the cash machine produces a third season.

Decided to check out FUNimation's site after taking a survey about it and watched the second episode, dubbed, of Baka to Test. So far, I'm liking this series and the dub cast was pretty good. It's so nice to hear Leah Clark's voice again.

However, FUNimation's video offerings are horrendous. I don't mind they're 480, but shit, the aliasing was so horrible that I had to leave it in browser because full screen just ripped it apart.

FUNimation's going to have to do much, much better than this if they want me to continue visiting. I'll be staying away for a while until I hear word they've polished up a few things.

Well, that's about it. I was going to burn through a whole list of other episodes/series I've seen, but decided not to at this point.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Finished up Strike Witches 2 This is better than the first season, though the plot outline is nearly identical.

This was actually my complaint about it; they are identical. It just felt like a different draft of the same show. spoiler[Yoshika & Mio take off from their land, Yoshika being hesitant. Meet up with the rest of the squad just in time to do battle. Yoshika and Lynette have to go through training (this time, take Perrine with them). Each character occupy their own episode. Francessca causes trouble for an episode. Perverted, unneeded episode gets thrown in around the same place it was last season. Higher ups try another dangerous weapon that backfires, and then Yoshika saves the day, and 501st disbands.] All the same stuff they've already done. They didn't do anything new with the 2nd season, so it really felt like wasted potential to me. I might get chided for this, but while watching the 2nd season, I found myself thinking "You know, it might be interesting if spoiler[one of these girls died in battle."] I thought it would be a pretty big way to mix things up, add new depth to these too-often cheery girls.

Anyways, I'd recommend Sky Girls if you like Strike Witches that much. I haven't finished it yet, but I definitely like it a lot more. The way it handles its characters, tech, and especially the military life just feels so much more real. Also, Sky Girls is far less perverted than Strike Witches. Otoha, Elise, Karen and Eika are actually allowed to wear pants when not piloting! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 592 of 1061