• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richter3456

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
My list of anime I'm watching

Nichijou
When I watched the first episode or two, I really didn't understand it and it was just way out there. I was actually thinking on just stopping at around the second or third episode but I was like "ehh whatever, I'll give it a chance." After the first few episodes, I started getting into it and it got pretty funny and interesting. Really looking forward to more of this.

The World God Only Knows
Well the second season just wrapped up, so I'm finished with this one for now. I'll be waiting for the third season nevertheless. I loved the OP song for the first season just as much as the anime. Never had a dull moment with this one.

Fairy Tail
After watching Soul Eater a long, long time ago... I wanted to watch something similar to it, so I clicked on "find anime with similar themes" and I found this. I gotta say, the music kicks and it really adds to the atmosphere of the anime. I found this to be a lot better then Soul Eater personally. Can't wait for the next episode.

One Piece
This was where it all started. The first anime I watched when I was a kid and it's still ongoing. I'd say this would be my first on my top ten list. I can't really put into words how good this one is. Each arc has something new to offer.

Zan Sayonara Zatsubou Sensei
First season - Excellent
Second season - Excellent
And now I'm watching the third season, and it's pretty confusing. Out of all the seasons, this one throws me off the most and loses my attention easily. It's not bad, but it's just... sometimes I understand and sometimes I just can't follow what's going on. When I do understand, it grabs my attention and I find it pretty humorous. Currently on episode 5. Hopefully it gets a bit better.

The next one I'm probably going to watch is Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

Last edited by richter3456 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
^ Excellent taste. Good call on sticking with Nichijou. I had some doubts myself, but the last episode I watched (no. 15) was one of the funniest things I've seen in anime to date. The current Edolas arc in Fairy Tail is Godly.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
*puts on hipster glasses*

I've loved Nichijou since episode 0. Just sayin Cool

So. Once upon a time I remember there being a little show called Strike Witches where all of it's fans were adamant that it's "better than it seems". They were so adamant and convincing that one day during an Amazon sale I bought it for $25 (and got the patch), watched it, loved it. They were right, Strike Witches is better than it seems.

Well, Sekirei has similar, though less adamant, fans that say it's not as bad as it seems. However, this time, I did not buy it. Ever since Funimation licensed it I've been very skeptical because it sounds like poo, but I kept it in mind since it's "better than it seems". Then it becomes some gigantic seller, and that again piques my interest, but I still don't buy it. Well, it's been about a year since that show was released on DVD and I'm browsing around Youtube's animation section looking for stuff watch and notice that Funimation has uploaded all the dubbed episodes. So I decide to take this opportunity to see just how good, well, I should say "how not bad", this Sekirei is.

Sekirei is horrible.

I was lied to and I feel cheated despite not spending any money to watch it. I wish there was a way I could get my bandwidth back so I could use it to watch not-Sekirei shows. Or perhaps I could magically turn my bandwidth into a sock, that I would then shove down Musubi's throat until she suffocated.

It was the trifectca of suck: Boring, Unoriginal, and Annoying. Emphasis on the unoriginal part. If the shows characters were cookies, they'd all be sugar-less cookies, as in they have no flavor and suck. There's no chocolate chip, walnut, or even freaking raisins. Hell some of them seem to be missing some ingredients, so they aren't even freaking sugar-less cookies, they're deformed piles of simply water and flour flowing across the pan that don't really make anything but a mess. The only exception is Kusanagi, but she's only a sugar cookie with, like, a sprinkle. It's a cute and adorable sprinkle, but it's still just a single sprinkle.

The only thing I can honestly say I liked about this was the Shakespearian way of talking Funimation gave Tsukiomi. That was very impressive, and her actress -along with the script writers- pulled it off flawlessly. Despite the...ugh..."haters" (despise that word), I always give Funimation credit where it's due, and they are the only company that consistently puts real effort in translating songs, speech patterns, and puns into English. Some other company probably would've just given her an accent or something, but Funimation broke out the Thy Olde English for, I assume, a character that speaks an archaic form of Japanese, and it was a great call.

Bottom line, though, Sekeirei is turrible. All that said, I will still probably watch the second season. Why? Because it's completed and it's free. I'm more forgiving towards shows that are completed and don't make look stupid for making a bad purchase. I assume it's going to be just as bad, but I as long as it's not costing me anything...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
My oh my, I AM BACK!!!

Well not really but I haven't completely forgotten about my favourite hobby - anime! Recently, I have been re-watching Sailor Moon and I plan to finish all of it this summer. I am up to episode 70, of 200, and I am pleased to say I love it as much as the first time I saw it in my teenage years. I would say I can now appreciate it on a whole different level, as I can see good and bad about series much more clearly. It's mostly good though. I was surprised how well flowing the series feels. I rather pride myself in spotting fillers (because they kill my interest in the series very fast) but in Sailor Moon rarely do I get that feeling. Unlike in the newest Heartcatch Precure! (I stalled on it) instead of having a bunch of fillers the show, Sailor Moon, is simply moving on... slowly, very slowly. There is always some progress in story or character development in every episode, only it is a slow process that works. Oh and the character driven comedy and lovely animation adds so much to the enjoyment! Anyway I love it.

Just a few days ago I watched Queen's Blade Beautiful Warriors (OAV that continues after the end of second season) and, again, I love it. I was worrying if the storywriting can keep it's high bar so I was very relieved to see that OAV is not merely a fanservice-happily-ever-after type of afterstory but rather a genuine continuation from season two. It sets up the "Return of the Swamp Witch" so now I am simply dying to see more. To it's credit the character interactions and development is excellent as always. The second episode, where my favourite combat instructor Alleyne and her trainee Nowa make a huge decision, which comes from everything that happened prior to that, is simply amazing - an episode easily deserving a masterpiece from me. Oh and, of course, there is plenty of hot nude girls. Rolling Eyes Very Good.

Also, just now actually, I finished the Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. Still have no idea why it is named the way it is. Overall pretty damn good. The huge problem in the show is that they don't follow the "set up - emotional pay off" formula but rather try to push "pay off" from the one, original "set up". This means they all keep crying over and over again on the same topic for the very same reason. Way too much crying. It loses it's power. Sure it worked in the beginning but in the long run the story has to kick in and elaborate in the right direction to keep things powerful yet in Ano Hana it did not. Overall the story is pretty good though there are some outstanding moments and the beautiful animation and directing certainly help. I like this one. I also like the infamous Anaru, she is so hot. I disagree about the #5 rating on ANN, but I can see why it's there. Very Good.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Currently watching Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. Its like a guilty pleasure for me in the revenge department premise. Not sure how close some things will play out like the book(don't remember alot from the book), but like what I'm seeing. Animation is trippy yet fits the mood for me, so it works. Jamieson Price does an excellent job as The Count so far.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile Finale – This is very good, much better than the previous instalment. After the disappointing Nodame Cantabile Paris Chapter, I was worried that music would be thrown away once more. Fortunately, my worries were baseless. This time the story is not rushed and music is not treated as if it were the fifth wheel, so atmosphere has improved.

I enjoyed it a lot. Excellent

I watched eight episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It has a good music and animation is interesting, but the characters are too shallow for me to relate to any of them. They have no personality, just few character traits. It remained me why I don't like moe dramas. The portrayal of the main character is awful. She is said to be a normal girl number 54987345987324954645657 that has no abilities/skills/whatever, but it turns out that she has an enormous magical potential or something of this sort. The fact that she is not an original character can be forgiven, but that she is a poorly executed one cannot be. It seems that being constantly worried is the sole purpose of her life.

The plot itself is not bad, but one-dimensionality of characters makes it impossible for me to care for them. Drama works best with multidimensional characters, this is not something Puella Magi Madoka Magica has. With characters like that, it should aim for comedy. Besides, the characters in PMMM are portrayed inconsequentially. I couldn't shake off the feeling that in certain situations they behave out of the character. For example: Himura, who is shown as calm, level-headed and rather cold-hearted. In episode eight she starts to weep and beg Madoka not to become a magical girl. 0_o

Dropped. I doubt that I will miss out on anything great.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For example: Homura, who is shown as calm, level-headed and rather cold-hearted. In episode eight she starts to weep and beg Madoka not to become a magical girl. 0_o

EPISODE 10 EPISODE 10 EPISODE 10 EPISODE 10

Episode 10 pulls everything together and answers all your questions. Even if you don't want to watch the other three episodes, I think episode 10 would be very enlightening.

How do you drop a show 3/4 the way, though? This isn't a Madoka thing, it's a "Four more episodes until the end after you've already watched 8" thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you endured 8 episodes of that you might as well watch the last 2-3 episodes since they're the only entertaining episodes imo. I also found the characters shallow but the action in the last episodes paid off, and it was quite similar to [ending spoiler]spoiler[NGE's ending if you liked NGE.
]

richter3456 wrote:
One Piece
This was where it all started. The first anime I watched when I was a kid and it's still ongoing. I'd say this would be my first on my top ten list. I can't really put into words how good this one is. Each arc has something new to offer.

Here's my man. One Piece is just that amazing. Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Dropped. I doubt that I will miss out on anything great.

Oh my goodness, this is the funniest - as well as the most ironic - thing I've heard in a long time. I'll put aside all the snide remarks I want to say and instead give you this advice; throw away your preconceptions and watch the final four episodes already.
swienke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@Aylinn

I'm going to jump on the "You have to finish it!" bandwagon. I don't want to give anything away, but I'll just say that many of the issues you have with the series and the characters are explained very satisfactorily in the last 3 episodes. Many of the apparent flaws that you find fault with are actually done deliberately, and once you come to see why it becomes an intensely satisfying experience.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I watched episode 10. My opinion hardly changed. As I wrote the plot itself is not bad. Yes, this episode was more enjoyable, because the plot is good. The characters, however, don't become more interesting. I don't care what will happen to them.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica has some interesting ideas, but I have already seen them done better.

If I want to watch a good magical girls series, I'll rewatch Princess Tutu.
If I want to watch a good show with an evil mascot, I'll rewatch Bokurano.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
How does your opinion of Homura not change after seeing everything she went through to where she is?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
How does your opinion of Homura not change after seeing everything she went through to where she is?

It's very easy. I have seen cute girls with tragic backstories done countless times in anime. I am desensitized.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Aylinn sounds like he/she just wasn't enjoying the show at all, so is it really surprising that his/her opinion didn't change? I had a similar experience with Gurren Lagaan;
*by episode 5*
Me: Meh, I'm not liking this, and the characters annoy me.
Fanboys1-5: No man! You have to keep watching! It gets so good!
Me: Eh, okay...
*by episode 21 or 22*
Me: I really don't like this. Don't care to see the end!
*show dropped with 4 or 5 episodes to go*

If someone wasn't enjoying a show from the start, it is unlikely that new developments will change their opinion very much. People who get wowed by it likely were enjoying the show from the get-go.
Personally, I got really bored with Madoka after only 2 episodes and moved on. I might give it another chance later, but not right now.
Roshi1030

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Gunslinger Girl (complete series + 2 OVA) Good stuff; Started watching couldn't put it down. Character development is good; interesting storyline, the concept of using ill-fated young girls as cyborg assassins was different, showing that they kept their humanity to a certain degree added to the story.

I had started Green Green; did not finish it; I thought it was sopposed to be a story of an eternal forbidden love. Turned out to be a vehicle for three very annoying characters; what happened to the original concept???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 603 of 1060