• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
It might predate the anime by 11 years, but the novel that the anime was based on was written in the late 50s. I wouldn't doubt that Basilisk took some visual cues from Ninja Scroll, but Basilisk still did them better imo.

Seems like kind of a silly, superficial comparison to me. They may both be about super powered Ninjas on the surface but where Ninja Scroll is much more of a straight up, old school action flick, Basilisk is a tragic, Romeo & Julliet style love story. Add to that that one is a movie and another a 24 episode series and I don't think they're actually especially comparable.

No, they are comparable, but mainly because it seems to be an anime convention to give ninjas wacky powers, as opposed to playing it straight. I'm fond of the Ninja Scroll movie, even though I confess I don't remember it that well (and it's only been a year or two since I've seen it). In fact, I liked the movie enough (er, or rather I have a memory of liking the movie) to recently buy a used copy of the TV series which I haven't watched yet.

I suspect the popularity it enjoyed was due to the fact that it was very bloody and had some skin in it, which, back when it first came out in the West, would have been somewhat novel.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Garden of Sinners. Wow. I was one of those who laughed at the price of the set last year. Insane! Zac's review piqued my interest, but as I do not watch fansubs I had given up seeing the 7 films. I think it was on a recent ANNCast or somewhere in the forums it was mentioned that the 7 films were available individually on the Playstation Network for rental. I looked, and sure enough they were there (also subbed Gundam Unicorn for the curious). $20.93 later....
Wow. If that same set were offered again, I would seriously think about picking it up. The animation was stunning, the backgrounds gorgeous, the story entertaining (tough to pull off for a 9 hour effort). The only flaws I found were a few minor mistakes in the subtitling, and the complete lack of subtitles on one of the next movie previews.
One aspects of this story is similar to to Tsukihime, and other aspects hinted at are similar to the basis for the Fate/Extra PSP game.
If you have not seen it, that $21 for 9 hours is very worth it, so you can say "Ah, that's why it sold out so fast."
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I finished Ben-To and The Mystic Archives of Dantalian. Ben-To was great, just a lot of fun. Dantalian was good, but I think it actually could have benefited from more episodes; the ending was completley rushed spoiler[and it was annoying when Hughey brought up the girl in the library as a major driving force and Dalian just accept it. He never addressed this desire before, and she was only seen during flashbacks.] And don't get me started on spoiler[the Professor]. Anyway, it was good but could have been so much more.

I have six episodes left of R.O.D. the TV, five left of AnoHana and I'm going to start Bakemonogatari.[/b]
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I've reached ep 30 of Eureka Seven and I'm really liking it. Slow start, but the ep right after I commented here that it was slow, it started to take off Anime hyper This show doesn't come straight out to tell you anything, which is its greatest asset and biggest drawback. I really like how you eventually learn what's going on, which adds realism by avoiding the typical convenient excuse to explain to the viewers so you become more immersed in their world. Then again It's absolutely frustrating how it'll be talking about something that I have no idea what they're talking about, and sometimes it NEVER gets explained; you just have to piece the answer together from what you already know. Which in the past I've liked that a lot, but here it's mostly frustrating.
Patience, patience...... yes I know. Anime hyper It is paying off.
As much as I rant about this anime, I'm still really liking it. Fantasy is my favorite genre for its potential to introduce you to a new world and shift your perspectives. For those reasons, thanks to An1fr3ak and lesterf1020 for telling me to stick with it.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
If you've only reached episode 30 then you still have no clue what's really going on. So enjoy the ride friend. Eureka Seven is one of my favorite flawed masterpieces.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
H IS FOR HUMPING!

Finished B Gata H Kei and that show is hilarious and so much better than I anticipated! I now have egg on my face because I was one of those people that mocked it because of that absurd premise, but the show, while not as "sweet" as some have described it, is just insanely funny from first minute to last. Like I mentioned on the last page, I had to pause only about 2 minutes in because the line "Does everyone's look like that" almost killed me. I just didn't expect it to be that raunchy since everyone had been telling me it was "sweet", but it grabs you by the balls.

The Eros Deities are also amazing, especially in the dub. First, Alexis Tipton can be a lot raunchier and funnier than I thought she could be and so I'd have no objection to her playing Stocking like I think she will (though I still want Cherami Leigh). Second, Greg Ayres plays a figurative penis. If that alone doesn't make you laugh, then you are a robot.

Then there were the parts towards the end when they spoiler[started getting closer to the goal]. A certain scene in episode 11 particularly got me going. The scene is when spoiler[Kosuda is taking off Yamada's bra and he got it off in, like, 30 seconds]. At that point I start yelling at my TV, "BULLSHIT!" I swearspoiler[, it took me a wire hanger, a pair of pliers, a lock pick, and some crisco, to get off my first bra, which I didn't even get to do myself. So to see him fidget for a few seconds and then see it fall off sent me into a fit of rage because how unrealistic that was]. The second time was much more realistic, though, so they redeemed themselves.

"Am I hurting you?"
"He hasn't even touched me yet, how can he be hurting me?"

UGH, just hilarious! This'll be in the rewatch queue for years to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
spoiler[it took me a wire hanger, a pair of pliers, a lock pick, and some crisco, to get off my first bra, which I didn't even get to do myself.]

There's no need to boast of your conquests, old chap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That was in no way bragging. It was me telling a life experience and making fun of myself while also relating to events from the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the best way to remove a bra is to gnaw through the strap like a coyote - but hey, that's just me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Personally, I think the best way to remove a bra is to gnaw through the strap like a coyote - but hey, that's just me.

*sigh* And I'd just managed to put your wonderfully suggestive cable puns from the community forum out of my head. Wink
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
I'd seen enough recommendations here to know that REC was pretty well liked. Since I regard Romance as my 'preferred' genre, it was an anime I really needed to get watched. To everyone who's ever recommended it here, you have my sincerest thanks.

I have nothing but good things to say about REC. The masterstroke of the series was the length, and how it was used. We have 9 episodes at roundabout ten minutes each. Boy, did they use those ninety minutes well. By trimming the fat that plagues other romance titles, and just focussing on the human aspect, this was a surprisingly effective way to get to the heart of the situation. The two leads aren't even dating for the vast majority of the show, but their mutual dependence and the trials and tribulations of their respective situations are dealt with smartly and succinctly. It's very sweet, but not to the point I felt it was contrived. The issues that crop up between the two were evocative of things I've encountered in my own relationships, so there was certainly an air of poignancy as I watched.

I cannot recommend this highly enough to anyone interested in romance anime. Take an hour and a half out of your viewing schedules and try and squeeze it in, it's more than worth it.
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
it took me a wire hanger, a pair of pliers, a lock pick, and some crisco, to get off my first bra, which I didn't even get to do myself.

May I recommend a pair of scissors?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
...it took me a wire hanger, a pair of pliers, a lock pick, and some crisco, to get off my first bra...

Were you wearing it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
Laughing Oh snap! (said the bra)
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
...it took me a wire hanger, a pair of pliers, a lock pick, and some crisco, to get off my first bra...

Were you wearing it?

Blood- wrote:
Laughing Oh snap! (said the bra)

Give these guys the Nobel peace prize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 642 of 1062