• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Saw the Gatchaman OVA last night, which was fine, I suppose. I've never seen the original series, so it didn't have any nostalgia value or anything for me, but I guess it's good to have some direct knowledge of the franchise.

Even without the nostalgia factor, were you able to enjoy it much or not? I remember watching this when I was a little girl with my sister, we LOVED it when it aired on tv here way back in the 70's, (77? 78? not sure) and I debated buying it when it was all available cheap at TRSI, but I didn't figure it's have the same impact on me today and it would sit around and I would probably never watch it. I still sometimes wonder if I should have got it anyway... G-FORCE!
C'est la vie.

I'd say I enjoyed it, yes.

Watched the Trust and Betrayal OVA Monday night with some friends. Dear sweet goodness sakes alive, if any anime ever needed a re-dub, it's this one. Truly, it is a testament to the quality of its storytelling that the ending still got me to cry.

The voice acting isn't just emotionless, it's wooden and unnatural. Every single part is equally devoid of quality. And they manage to mispronounce just about every name in the series, primarily by placing the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle, although in Tomoe's case they simply said it as Tomo. Japanese does not use a silent "e". And Tomoe, ugh. Her first lines were possibly the worst bit in the entire OVA. Either that or the one unnamed man who says "NOOOooooOOOOW is the time to act", or something to that effect. Hadn't the dubbing industry learned not to be ear-bleedingly bad by 2000?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Mashiroiro Symphony:

Same here. I nearly dropped it because of that. I was expecting/hoping that they were going with spoiler[Airi as the main girl as the interplay between her and the protagonist was actually interesting and wasn't coming across as pandering.]

Based on the OP and End, and episodes 1-8, plus lots of cut shots showing her reaction, the final choice was a change up from what was expected.
Actually, I thought it was going to be spoiler[Sana. That would have been more dramatic and interesting in my opinion]

Actually I would rate the choices as far as setting up an entertaining story as spoiler[Sana, Airi, Angela, and then Miu. I will not include Sakuno, though the game listed her as a stepsister, I do not think the anime did so.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
I actually really enjoyed the path Mashiroiro went down, but I think it's probably down to which girl you preferred. I thought the interaction between spoiler[Shingo and Miu felt more genuine than with either of the two tsundere choices. The imouto route was never a possibility, we're not talking Yosuga no Sora here Wink. I didn't care for Ange at all so I wasn't really bothered about her becoming peripheral. I appreciated the small bit of misdirection in that the first few episodes you're sure it'll be Airi, usually with a harem the 'main' interest is established very early on and the rest of the the girls are just a distraction.]

I thought the spoiler[kiss scene] was handled well, and the amount of impact the romance had will probably depend on spoiler[how much you liked Miu], so yeah... If she's not your bag then the anime probably isn't either. The plot was never going to be original, VN adaptations rarely are, but I thought it was well produced and a good example of harem done right.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
right now i'm watching tokyo majin gakuen kenpucho, since it seemed somewhat dark. the first episode is actually quite a mess but for some reason i'm hooked. can't really pin down why, though, but i guess it'll show.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Mashiroiro spoiler[I appreciated the small bit of misdirection in that the first few episodes ]

I think the most off-putting things about it are the bathing scene and the archetypes themselves. spoiler[Airi and Shingo took a bath together while sharing "meaningful" talk with one another.] Plus, spoiler[Miu just came off as the super-nice girl who falls for the guy without him having to do anything to earn it, while Airi required much coming around to it, thus, to me, making the eventual outcome feel rewarding. I just really felt that Airi was the more appropriate choice for Shingo.] When it comes to this kind of show, I make it a point to determine "which choice feels right," rather than "which character I personally like the best." But, whatever, it's a white-noise anime in the end.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
spoiler[Miu just came off as the super-nice girl who falls for the guy without him having to do anything to earn it,]

Well no, he saw that she was spreading herself too thin and although others in the group knew about it, he was the only one who actually did anything about it. He broke down the wall she'd put up round herself and that was the turning point. spoiler[Miu's] not all that one-dimensional when you scratch the surface. I'm not anti-spoiler[Airi] at all, I just felt that if she'd been spoiler['the one'] then it would have been no different to the other 9001 VN harem adaptations. This way there was some element of surprise.

It's most definitely a case of each to their own here Very Happy

edit: Added spoiler tags

Last edited by dirkusbirkus on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally watch more than one series at a time, but right now I find myself in the rare situation of juggling three shows at one time. Still watching Bleach, and I've reached ep 43. It's pretty good and fun while watching, but I don't find it that memorable. But wow, they leave a lot of words untranslated in the dub. They go a little overboard in a few places I think (Ryoka=intruder I think should have been translated) but overall they did a great job and it's better than the other extreme of english-afying everything, even character names.
I'm only 2 eps in but so far I'm enjoying Time of Eve a lot. The temptation to skip ahead the viewing schedule is strong.
I also watched Puppet Princess. This was a short OVA, but I was surprised at how much I liked it. It had some good action and I liked the story.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
im kind of the opposite im watching many different animes right now (wont list all) 1st of all damn the awesomeness of Bakuman 2 and having me hooked on weekly episodes i mean i almost look forward to sundays..... just not right, Highschool DxD is a fun watch that hopefully wont get stale and loving Sket Dance theres more but i'll leave with marai nikki im behind so staying out of the thread for now but its kinda creepy... awesome, well people "Good Night"
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The [Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal dub] voice acting isn't just emotionless, it's wooden and unnatural. Every single part is equally devoid of quality. And they manage to mispronounce just about every name in the series, primarily by placing the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle, although in Tomoe's case they simply said it as Tomo. Japanese does not use a silent "e". And Tomoe, ugh. Her first lines were possibly the worst bit in the entire OVA. Either that or the one unnamed man who says "NOOOooooOOOOW is the time to act", or something to that effect. Hadn't the dubbing industry learned not to be ear-bleedingly bad by 2000?

I'm not sure if ADV's secondary Monster Island ever quite learned that lesson. That's not to say all their output is bad; they did do better with shows like Nadia, Eden's Bowy, and Final Fantasy Unlimited where there weren't as many Japanese character names to mangle.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm not sure if ADV's secondary Monster Island ever quite learned that lesson. That's not to say all their output is bad; they did do better with shows like Nadia, Eden's Bowy, and Final Fantasy Unlimited where there weren't as many Japanese character names to mangle.
Oh man, I always thought Nadia was bad. That horrible french accent they gave Jean was the sole reason I switched from dub to sub halfway through the first ep.
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I started and caught up with Natsume Yuujinchou the other week. I love the premise and general execution of the show but there is something about the characters personalities that is preventing me from really getting into it.

I'm up to episode 94 of Eyeshield 21 and it is pretty clear that Cross Game ruined sports anime for me by being too awesome.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:
I started and caught up with Natsume Yuujinchou the other week. I love the premise and general execution of the show but there is something about the characters personalities that is preventing me from really getting into it.

i know what you mean, although i've only seen season 1 so far. i mean, it has a really nice atmosphere, i like the premise and so on...yet, i feel that there happens little to nothing between the characters that is actually memorable though i guess that will change in the latter seasons...right?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Today I watched WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3. Having glanced at critical articles regarding it in the past, one's expectations didn't equate to much beyond a "monster movie" (pardon this vulgarity) situated within a familiar fictional world that isn't naturally accommodative of one. Indeed it must be admitted that plots involving monstrous, alien beings are perhaps out of harmony with Patlabor canon, though my criticisms end with such a statement.
This film is very much in the spirit of its predecessors. The minutiae of humdrum Tokyo life are scoured by the camera during police endeavours, rain and nightfall beset many scenes and emotionless faces conceal tension, intrigue and corporate machinations. Where this work manages to exceed the first two films, dare I say such a thing, is quite surprising. The ultimate collision between our heroes of the SV2 and the villain is unexpectedly poignant in a dissonant way. spoiler[As Labors land blows upon the monster, dehumanised though it may be, my reaction was cathartic. The incidental use of the sublime Piano Sonata No. 8 shifts our sympathies from Noa and her squadmates to the monster itself — perversely, we briefly see it as Misaki does; not as a savage beast but as a memento of a departed loved one.]
Were I so inclined I could draw a sentimental comparison between this film and King Kong on such grounds, though it is more appropriate for me to convey this film's merits to Patlabor fans by stating the following instead. Our madcap, trigger-happy public servants may not take centre stage in this outing, though the style and intricacy of Mamoru Oshii's two masterworks are emulated quite splendidly. It has a curious ounce of heart to it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
i guess that will change in the latter seasons...right?

No. Why'd you expect that? It is an episodic feel good show.

Anyway. It is the only anime this season I'm bothering to watch. Keeping up a solid standard.

I guess I could mention something I watched recently:

All Dominion anime. Quite similar to Patlabor in terms of setting and also in not being able to realize its full potential. Although Patlabor managed to do it eventually in its first two movies, there wasn't such a saving grace for Dominion. Just a wasted setting on haphazard OVAs.

I also checked out Dog of Flanders (movie). It was quite dry at first, but soon turned out to be the sob story I expected it to be. Made me cry, although the story was predictable. I take it as a sign that talented people were working on it.

Then I watched Sound of the Sky, which I dropped back in the day because it reminded me too much of K-On. I was slighly wrong about that. I liked it better for slightly improved character chemistry, some nice music (excluding the ED, which was like K-On) and superb setting. Still not a great anime sadly, because the overall mix was ridiculous. Moe girls don't look good in saggy military gear and über tech tanks.

Area 88 (OVA)
was a real gem. A very serious story for adult audiences. The circumstances and changes the lead character undergoes were more akin to what you'd see in some of the more well regarded live-action war movies, but the ending I can't say I liked. Seemed to me more like a case of running out of money, than an open end for artistic choices.

There is more like always, but I'll leave it at that.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Re-watching Fairy Tail with my husband, so we'll be caught up to watch part 3 when it arrives.

Also, I picked up Mars Daybreak about a month ago. Its one of Bandai's titles and was a total blind buy for me. I think I'm about half way through. Its fun, this show has a good sense of comedic timing. However, its pacing is not so good. There is waaaay too much filler in here. As I type, I'm on the ghost ship episode. It has nothing to do with the main storyline, and nothing of importance is happening, except hijinks involving the crew. I'm thinking this show could have been trimmed down to twelve or thirteen episodes, easily. I'll keep watching in order to find out what happens, but probably will end up trading this in.

I'm also giving Scrapped Princess a go, but its not clicking with me. I'm not finding the characters interesting or engaging at all. And if I cannot empathize with the characters, then the anime is usually a no go for me, (an exception being Casshern Sins). I'm up to episode four now, and I've only got two more eps before I reach my cutoff point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 648 of 1062