• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masakisu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I finished Monster, it was fantastically crafted and numerous parts actually got me really excited when I realised what was happening. I just felt it got a bit drawn out in places, and that the ending was pretty unsatisfactory compared to the massive amount of build-up it had (Johan's goal (poorly executed though it was) and the final shot of the bed though, those were... haunting).

Figured that since I now have all of Darker than Black on DVD (bought Season 2 a few days ago), I should probably get around to watching it. Season 1's been sitting around for about nine months now.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I've decided to finally watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I've heard stuff about the episodes being mixed up, so I went to wikipedia, and apparently there are 3 different orders the episodes can go in. Anime dazed Chronological, DVD, and broadcast version. I'm not really sure which is best, but chronological seems like the safe route to me. But since both the broadcast and DVD versions have ep 00 first (and it was nominated in the Best First Episode Tournament as Haruhi's first ep), I've decided to watch that first, and then all the rest in chronological order. Plus, that ep seems like it won't have a big plot impact so it'll probably be fine if I watch it first.
I'm excited to see this though. It sounds like a fun and entertaining watch. And I've always liked the character designs.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Take my advice and watch the show in broadcast order first. Trust me, it's much better that way.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Take my advice and watch the show in broadcast order first. Trust me, it's much better that way.
Broadcast order? Ok. That makes sense, since if they aired it in that order, that's probably the best order to watch it in. Thanks!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:
Broadcast order? Ok. That makes sense, since if they aired it in that order, that's probably the best order to watch it in. Thanks!

I second that advice. It's sometimes called "Kyon Order". I wouldn't want to watch the first season any other way. In fact, I printed out the order of the episodes and which disk each one is on to help facilitate the process. Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I effing hated watching episode 00 first. The episode is a million times more meaningful if you watch it in chronological order, imo.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the chronological order (with 00 at the beginning- I think it's a great tease for things to come). But then, that's how I first watched it and just can't stand to break up that core story the way the broadcast version does. I guess it give the final ep a dramatic finale, but I really like the warm feeling of the chronological story finale.

If you become a big fan you'll probably end up watching it in all three sequences, including the 2009 order that integrates the second season into the chronology of the first.

The 2009 order might be the best order if you only want to watch the whole series one time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The way Madman released The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is really weird but sort of useful - the release has two complete sets: one in chronological order and one in broadcast order. Exclamation

First time around I enjoyed watching it in the broadcast order. Every time since has been in the chronological order.

Either is good and has its advantages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I just watched eps 1-3 (ep 00 and TMoHS parts 1 & 2). I think I'll go with the chronological order, just because a mixed up plot will probably confuse the heck out of me and I won't enjoy it as much Anime dazed Thanks for your input guys. It sounds like both the chronological and broadcast versions have their merits, so this'll have to be a series I rewatch.

Lol, speaking of being confused, I didn't really know what was going on in ep 00, but it sure was funny. Kyon made for a hilarious narrator. I'm surprised Haruhi didn't get mad at him for pointing all the inconsistencies and cliches out Anime hyper

Edit: Hm, changed my mind. I think I will go with the broadcast version afterall. That's how it's streaming on crunchyroll, and if I don't get it, well, I'm planning on rewatching it to see both ways anyway.
kilaria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Netflix, I watched Highschool of the Dead. This is a series that I've been wanting to watch but felt that the price for a 13 episode blu ray was a little outrageous. Anyways, I really liked it. It had great action, made me laugh many times, and I liked the characters. I know a lot of people rag on this series for its over the top fan service, but I actually found it amusing and funny. Also, I found myself thinking the entire time that my husband should be watching this with me because he's a typical man and would love all the perverted scenes.

I really hope they come out with a second season. It was entertaining enough, I'm even considering buying the manga so I can read that as well. If the price of the blu ray ever comes down, then I will definitely buy it because this is a series that I would definitely watch again. Is it a masterpiece? Absolutely not. But it's fun and entertaining.

I'm also watching Bodacious Space Pirates. It's a cute show. The animation is well done and I'm liking the pacing of the story. My biggest complaint.... why in the world did they come up with such a STUPID name for it?? I just finished episode 8 and will continue to watch as crunchyroll posts new episodes.

I really wish Crunchyroll would come up with an app for Playstation or Xbox because it would be so awesome to watch these shows on my TV instead of a laptop or my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
kilaria wrote:
I'm also watching Bodacious Space Pirates. It's a cute show. The animation is well done and I'm liking the pacing of the story. My biggest complaint.... why in the world did they come up with such a STUPID name for it?? I just finished episode 8 and will continue to watch as crunchyroll posts new episodes.

I've really dug the pacing too. It makes it pleasantly easy to take it all in.

As for the title, you might find the discussion of it early in the series thread helpful. The Japanese kind of knew that they were doing when they came up with it.

I find the title endearing. Hell, if not for the alluring incongruity of a series with Bodacious in its title getting high marks in the preview guide, I might not have watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I have recently been watching Garden of Sinners: Thanatos. Several times in a row in fact, to appreciate it fully before moving on to the second film. I love it, and I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be the coolest thing in my collection.

And even on DVD, watched on a laptop screen, it's beautiful. I wish I could experience the BD.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Natsume Yuujinchou Shi, which is good, but I can see that the third Matoba arc will not be in it Sad I understand that the little Natsume arc is a good stopping point and there is no need to include the third Matoba arc if they don't plan to do more seasons, but still -_-
V1046-R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass season two. Saw season one long ago, but held out on season two until I could buy the complete season DVD. Even better than season one, which was great. It is a deliciously clever show with more twists than a roller coaster.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Macross Frontier since it was praised in the best 1st episode thread. And I have to say that was the best 1st episode of all the animes I have watched. The animation were so detailed, that it was breath taking. It seemed like I was watching Star Wars EP 1-3, with the details they had on the ships.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 664 of 1061