• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure it picks up either, but it does knock you for a loop... and then makes you wish it hadn't. It's amazing you haven't been spoiled about it- it's such a infamous discussion topic it ranks up there with "Snape killed Dumbledore" as thoroughly ruined major plot points in recent popular fiction.

and oh... in honor of being the first to post on this page...

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Interesting anime tbh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Night Head Genesis: Back when Media Blasters was releasing singles for Sub only shows, I bought the very entertaining Simoun, the wonderfully trashy Strawberry Panic, as well as the 12 ep shows like Ramen Fighter Miki, Kashimashi, Girls High, etc. . Night Head Genesis never hit my radar. I caught the first disc via Netflix a month or so ago, and found the entire set of 24 ep. could be had for under $20. It was enjoyable enough to justify the pennies per episode cost, and I could watch it whenever, even if just one time, and move on to other things on Netflix.
This show is surprisingly enjoyable, very tense in some spots, and a little different take on what psychic conflict would be like. I did get a little tired of the younger brother calling out "Nee-san" ever other word. Older brother's phrase was "damnit!" about half the time he spoke.
One advantage discs have over streaming, is the ability to go to 1.5 or even 2.0x. There are a few spots where you would want to slow down to normal and jump backwards, but once you get used to watching a series at 1.5, normal seems to crawl.

I would recommend at least a one time watch, I really do not see myself watching again though.

Should get more Genma Wars on Monday.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

but once you get used to watching a series at 1.5, normal seems to crawl.

I almost hate watching stuff now in normal speeds since I am used to 1.5 and above for physical media and fansubs. I do wish that streaming had that option for stuff. If they did and got a lot more titles via streaming I would consider dropping fansubs completely and going fully legit with anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
...but once you get used to watching a series at 1.5, normal seems to crawl.

Now you're sounding like Straight Cougar from s-CRY-ed.

Stark700 wrote:
Started watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Interesting anime tbh

It's one of my favourite shows. I hope you like it.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure it picks up either, but it does knock you for a loop... and then makes you wish it hadn't. It's amazing you haven't been spoiled about it- it's such a infamous discussion topic it ranks up there with "Snape killed Dumbledore" as thoroughly ruined major plot points in recent popular fiction.

and oh... in honor of being the first to post on this page...

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I avoided Death Note like the plague when it got really big here, and I wasn't active on the forums either. So, yeah, consider me totally unspoiled Laughing
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...and oh... in honor of being the first to post on this page...

I just got it. Confused

Weak joke:
Q: What is 668?
A: The neighbour of the beast.

Oh, and thanks for spoiling Harry Potter. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Oh, and thanks for spoiling Harry Potter. Rolling Eyes

TV Tropes#1 TV Tropes #2

Know Your Meme

Urban Dictionary

YouTube
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Seriously. Snape killing Dumbledore is at this point about on par with Vader being Luke's father.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

but once you get used to watching a series at 1.5, normal seems to crawl.

I almost hate watching stuff now in normal speeds since I am used to 1.5 and above for physical media and fansubs. I do wish that streaming had that option for stuff. If they did and got a lot more titles via streaming I would consider dropping fansubs completely and going fully legit with anime.

Genuine question: What is the purpose of watching something at 1.5 the normal speed?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:

Genuine question: What is the purpose of watching something at 1.5 the normal speed?

Time. A 24 minute episode becomes 15 minutes once you skip opens and closes. That means 4 episodes an hour instead of 2.5.
It may seem crazy, but my current backlog of anime that I own that I have not watched stands at just over 900 24 minute episodes.
All shows start at normal speed, but usually within two episode, I decide on bumping it up. I would guess about half go that way.
Something like Aria, Lucky Star (dubbed) or Maria Watches Over Us, I would never speed up. But Sekirei or Gakuen Alice ? You bet.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Madoka Magica episode 5

Not a very good episode I thought. Sakura is annoying and flirts a little too much with various otaku bait quirks and seeing Magical girls fight with each other is just a bit of a letdown compared to witches (especially after the way they raised the stakes in episode 3).

I'm still quite optimistic about this show. I still think it'll probably live up to expectations. It is, however, a tiny bit concerning that it seems to be trending slightly down instead of up.

C - Control episodes 3 - 4

My criticism of the first couple episodes was that they were too light on substance. It seems like the show has swung back to the opposite extreme though since. These episodes feel very overstuffed. We also get a whole big expositional monologue from this lady giving us her back story but then she hasn't even done anything so far. Meanwhile, we get all this stuff about the main character's father dumped on us and some generally incoherent rambling about money. The fights are equally overstuffed. There's a whole lot of noise and light (and plenty of gratuitous English) but the fights are barely even coherent. I only half get the rules.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Madoka Magica episode 5

Not a very good episode I thought. Sakura is annoying and flirts a little too much with various otaku bait quirks and seeing Magical girls fight with each other is just a bit of a letdown compared to witches (especially after the way they raised the stakes in episode 3).

I'm still quite optimistic about this show. I still think it'll probably live up to expectations. It is, however, a tiny bit concerning that it seems to be trending slightly down instead of up.

While I thought that episode five was not as strong as other episodes, I thought it was pretty good overall. Not every episode can blow our minds, otherwise there'd be nothing left of us but drooling hulks. Anyway, Kyoko is there to show us how being a Magical Girl does not necessarily mean being a hero; she's the anti-Mami if you will. I did like her more as her arc progressed and once we learned what her wish was.

But think of episode five as a breather. You will certainly need to have caught your breath because - and I hope I don't raise your expectations too high - episode six is a return to the mind-screws, mega-twists and unrelenting deconstruction the show is renown for. It all makes such logical sense, but try telling that to the girls . . . dum dum DUM.
Rathchet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Gurren Lagann again.
Best. Series. Ever!

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!!!
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Last weekend, Crunchyroll announced that they'd be donating any revenue made from the views of Naruto and Bleach to a charity for the Japanese tsunami victims. I never had any interest in watching Naruto, for several reasons, but there was always a little curiosity in the back of my brain about Bleach, so I figured, "Meh. Why not? It'll support a good cause." And you know what? I'm loving it! Usually non-stop fighting and powering up bores me to tears, but I find myself caring enough about enough of the characters that I can't wait to see what happens next.

Just to give you an idea: I started watching last Friday from episode 1. Last night, I finished episode 54. I honestly was expecting to watch three or four eps and get tired of it, but...that obviously didn't happen!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 666 of 1061