• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah. Seriously. Snape killing Dumbledore is at this point about on par with Vader being Luke's father.

Vader is Luke's father!? Oh my gosh!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I fully grasp the ending of true tears, so could someone help me out?

spoiler[I'm not 100% I understand why Shin chose Hiromi over Noe; it almost feels like it was a coin flip decision. When he was dancing he was thinking Noe. When he was finished he looked for Noe. He wanted to make sure Noe was the first person to read his book. And he just let the tears flow when Noe limped back to the hospital while singing her song...but he chose Hiromi? I get that he always had feelings for her and the entire reason he started dating Noe in the first place was to make Hiromi happy, but it seemed like he was developing true feelings for her - he seemed so happy around her.

Maybe I was just imagining that? Like he faked me out, or something? It did seem like that perception was broken when he rushed to Hiromi after the crash, but...I don't know. I still think he really liked Noe and his concern for Hiromi was just that: concern for someone he held dear to himself ran away and then was in an accident. Noe seemed to gather from that experience that Shin only had feelings for Hiromi, and I disagree with that, obviously. I think he clearly had still had feelings for Hiromi, but it's hard to just suddenly let those emotions go, especially in such a short amount time (the whole first 12 episodes felt like it happened in a span of about two weeks).]

So if someone could walk through Shin's thinking process, I'd appreciate it. I love the show and I liked the ending even though I was pulling for spoiler[Noe (with Aiko being my favorite)], but I think there are some gaps in my mind holding me back from liking it more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
It's one of the great injustices of romance anime.spoiler[ I don't know one person who thinks he made the right decision there. I pretty explicitly thought that Hiromi was portrayed in such a way that anyone with any sort of heart at all would favour Noe. To elaborate somewhat, I think the feelings he had for Hiromi at the beginning were more juvenile due to inexperience. He then experienced real love with Noe and his previously juvenile feelings for Hiromi 'matured' as a result. Why Noe got kicked to the curb is beyond me.]

Doesn't stop it being one of my all-time favourite anime though.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yea, I felt like her moving out was also a sign of her moving on and forgetting her feelings for Shin. Like, she was doing to clear her mind and give Shin space so he can get closer to Noe. At that point I was sure the "big hurdle" Shin was going to have to overcome was Noe finding out why he started dating her in the first place and that he was going to use his book to prove his love for her, but then it turns out that Hiromi moved down the street and she actually became more aggressive in her pursuit.]

The decision from any view just doesn't make sense. There's nothing beyond spoiler["He liked Hiromi first"] for a justification.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
As perverse as it sounds, I actually came to appreciate it more for spoiler[ending in an unexpected decision. It's a lot less formulaic than 90% of other romance series and you could actually find yourself feeling just as bad as Noe did when she realises she'll never be able to take Hiromi's place in his heart. Not many series carry that amount of emotional impact, at least for me. The fact it doesn't go the way you think it will hits harder than a cushy end.
]

Ah crap, now I'll have to rewatch it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
As awkward as this comparison is, I appreciate spoiler[School Days for it's unexpected ending], so I understand the feeling. I don't necessarily dislike spoiler[the choosing of Hiromi since he clearly would always have feelings for her somewhere in his heart even if he had chose Noe, but I just think that can be ironed out over time if he wanted to do it. And Hiromi was his first love and he'd known her for so long, but I just think Noe was the better right choice. I mean, she helped him fly for crying out loud! I don't know. I think my bias for Noe is showing. I'm sure Hiromi fans see nothing confusing about the ending.]

I wonder how I'll feel when I watch again (which I WILL do). I know I came to respect both Toradora's and Mahoromatic's endings when I initially didn't like them after a rewatch of them years later.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I do not like re-watching anime. Or rather, I prefer to watch something new over something I have already seen. Whenever you watch anything a second time or more you already know the basic plot and the characters, and of course the emotional impact has already been dealt. So I am afraid. I am afraid I will not find things to be the way I remember them but at times the nostalgic longing to visit the worlds left behind is simply overwhelming. So this is my second time watching Code Geass. (Blood- don't read any further until you watch it yourself).

Upon my first viewing I clearly remember being infatuated with Kallen. spoiler[She is goddamn awesome. I was very impatient to see more of her every episode and every plot twist involving Kallen kept me on my toes. Perhaps that is why I missed some of the other outstanding relationships in the series, and now that I was 'over' Kallen it allowed me to redirect my attention.] Lelouch and Shirley. spoiler[It's hard to believe I missed all the emotional drama involving these two. This time I could feel it for Shirley. Despite all the messing with her memory she ended up in the same place every time - in love with Lelouch. And then she accepted him, with everything he is and has done yet more importantly she understood how alone he was. Amazing, even more so because I missed it the first time.] Rolo. spoiler[I don't hate him despite everything. I absolutely love how he couldn't accept Lelouch's denial of him. It is ironic how Lelouch's lies are all accepted for truth, but when he breaks down and yells his true feelings Rolo disregards it as a lie. Rolo just couldn't accept it for what it really was. His only true desire is simply to be human and have real emotional connections, even if at that moment he realized it was fake, he couldn't accept it in the end as it would deny his life to that point making it completely empty and meaningless. ] Lelouch is too kind.

Lelouch is too kind, and strong, and compassionate. Again, I did not see the full depth of his character. Absorbed by the story now I understand that I just couldn't keep up with everything.spoiler[ Just how many times he has to deny his feelings and how many times he has to accept the accidents as his fault? He has to bear it all. I also find it very interesting how Suzaku has to go though very similar breakdown.]

In the end, I am very glad I re-watched this saga. The rating for both seasons remains what it was a few years ago - a Masterpiece.

Clannad, I am not afraid.

I also found anime music video I absolutely love now. I has very appropriate Linkin Park song - Leave Out All the Rest, and uses Code Geass. This strikes right to the heart of my emotions right now. (http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=144595 if anyone is interested, need to be a member.)

PS.: Oh and not to forget Lelouch spoiler[is definitely alive. There is one fact and multiple other observations that support this claim.]

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
PS.: Oh and not to forget Lelouch spoiler[is definitely alive. There is one fact and multiple other observations that support this claim.]

http://thecartdriver.com/about/

Seems like you ain't the only one who believes that.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
Well, it's been a while in the making since I'm rarely in the mood for comedy and thus only watched one disc at a time, but I did finally finish Ghost Stories! The dub obviously. Part of the problem with comedy dubs is that some of the jokes are rather dated, kinda makes me feel a bit old, and some are just used a few too many times, so shorter bursts work well. And at lot of the celebrity jokes went over my head. Still, it felt like a guilty pleasure sort of experience where the characters were willing to call out plot inconsistencies and stupid stuff and tropes the show reused all the damn time. If you're looking for this now hard to find DVD set (I know a lot of you got screwed over when DD ran out last Black Friday sale), I think that just a few episodes should do you well enough. Might also be more fun in a group, I feel like the older the dub gets, the less fun it will be, so I would get on it asap.

Then I finished the first set of Tekkaman Blade, so 16 (really 15) eps. One thing I'm trying to figure out is where 6 whole eps went in the Teknoman conversion (which I only saw the first 9 eps or so of), and in this set, there was a recap ep, so now I'm trying to find 5 (of course I'm assuming the recap ep was axed because I hate recap eps with a burning passion, although Avatar: The Last Airbender and Speed Grapher did prove that they can be done well). Man, once it get past the intro part where it's mostly episodic "Tekkaman and the Space Knights fly up to space and beat stuff up then come back", although the missions did seem to be of use for the most part, and after the recap ep, an ongoing plot emerged and while I only got a brief glimpse of how awesome it's going to get, I just can't wait to see more! The one thing I'll say about the subs though, they seem to vary between bold and not bold, usually between sentences on screen but every so often on random letter too, but it seems a minor, if not quite noticeable complaint. And yet I head over to TRSI's website and see that they've hardly moved any of those damn bargain bundles, it just seems unfair. Yeah, the series looks and feels damn old, older than it actually is (Tatsunoko touch maybe?), but it's quite engaging once it really starts to get going and I can't wait to see what it does with another 33 episodes since so much has happened with the first 16, even with some episodicness. And the soundtrack is still epic.
Oh and set 1 had a short OVA (I'm assuming it was an OVA on the basis of how pretty it looked for those short 10 minutes, if Karas is any indication, Tatsunoko can make gorgeous animation when they put their minds to it) which basically reimagines a fight that took place in the first disc set but makes it look prettier and bloodier. Not bad!
Dr. Otacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the Lupin III movie The Secret of Twilight Gemini, simply because it's one of my favorite Lupin movies. I enjoy the back story about Dolune and Lorre and the way in which it's presented and the Lupin side of the story in general is just entertaining to me as all the other ones are. The music for that particular movie is also one of my favorites and I'll catch myself humming it at random sometimes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Gunslinger Girl as I dropped it before awhile back. Now I'm enjoying the series and starting season 2 today Cool
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Death Note. Oh, man. I was losing it, but now I'm back, baby. spoiler[ Light getting his memories back] was a perfect example of a "holy shit!" moment. The kind I thought that this series had left behind. If it can keep up this newfound momentum, I'm going to be very pleased.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Death Note. Oh, man. I was losing it, but now I'm back, baby. spoiler[ Light getting his memories back] was a perfect example of a holy shit moment. The kind I thought that this series had left behind. If it can keep up this newfound momentum, I'm going to be very pleased.
I can guarantee you, there's at least 1 holy shit moment left, and it's a big one. Very Happy I'm with you, spoiler[Light getting his memories back] was one of the coolest scenes, along with his encounter with spoiler[Naomi Misora, Raye Penber's fiance]. I loved that; It really gave Light a chance to show off his silver tongue. He could sell ice to the eskimos.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
For me, the look on Naomi Misora's face the moment she realises who her companion is and that she is spoiler[doomed] is the single best moment of the entire series, the other moment you're hinting at notwithstanding.

Edit: Dr. Otacon's was the 10,000th post in this thread.

Last edited by Errinundra on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that was really something. I was really rooting for her during that episode, and that moment of realization really cementedspoiler[ Light as a villain], in my opinion.

That picture! Perfect!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 667 of 1062