• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime from other countries?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geraldine221

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Which country do the anime you watch come from? Which country has more and better anime?

[EDIT: Made the thread title a little more specific. -TK]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:26 am Reply with quote
From the Lexicon here on ANN:
Quote:
According to Anime News Network publisher, Christopher Macdonald, "On Anime News Network, we define anime based on the origin of the animation. If it is primarily produced in Japan, it is anime.

For the purposes of this website, if it is anime it comes from Japan. For a more involved discussion click on the word "Encyclopedia" in the blue bar above and on the right side click on "Lexicon" and then on the word anime.

While people here do occasionally discuss animated shows from other countries, mostly China and Korea, this forum is primarily for the discussion of Japanese animation.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 am Reply with quote
@geraldine221

What country do you currently live in? Do they refer to all animated material over there as anime?

Pretty much everybody around here on ANN sticks to the notion that anime is specifically Japanese in origin. But there have been some cases where animations that are "anime-inspired" will get talked about.

The biggest franchise I've seen argued as "foreign anime" is Avatar: The Last Airbender. The creators for that have spoken many times of anime influences being a big part of their show. Do you have anything like that in your country, or can you name some other examples of what you feel are "non-Japanese anime?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1