• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
Maybe I should clarify why it seems like a spoiler to me. In that image it looks JUST like spoiler[Mikaela and his survival alone would already be somewhat of a spoiler. On top of that though considering the odd look of his sword and his expression I can already guess that for some reason or another he is fighting on the side of the vampires which will lead to some sort of epic duel between him and Yuichiro.]

Unless that happens pretty early on that does seem like a somewhat big spoiler and if I turn out to be right ill be annoyed to have noticed that.

Yanno, I think you're right, that is obviously spoiler[Mikaela and the show hasn't even hinted that he'll come back as... whatever he is in that shot.]

Must be key art they were provided with. Japan as a culture just isn't anywhere near as sensitive about spoilers as we are (Shonen Jump manga routinely just tell you what's happening next in the title of the chapter) and I think they're presuming anyone watching the show has read the (very popular) manga.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yanno, I think you're right, that is obviously spoiler[Mikaela and the show hasn't even hinted that he'll come back as... whatever he is in that shot.]

Must be key art they were provided with. Japan as a culture just isn't anywhere near as sensitive about spoilers as we are (Shonen Jump manga routinely just tell you what's happening next in the title of the chapter) and I think they're presuming anyone watching the show has read the (very popular) manga.

Ah I didn't know about that culture difference though I did guess that it was maybe a key art. Doesn't really make it less annoying to me though. Sad Don't get me wrong im not trying to blame ANN or Funi for it since I was able to guess it was the key art they had to work with and its not like you could have just hid it in a corner of the page somewhere. Just sort of venting my general annoyance over it I guess.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
So Shokugeki is Yakitake with a similarly ambitious yet much less annoying protagonist, and not only about bread? Sounds good.
Maur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I just want to ask one thing about Gunslinger Stratos. Am I the only one who did a spit take at this part? HOW HAS NO ONE COMMENTED ON THIS?!?

Now I don't want to read too much into this, but I'm just saying, there's no blood loss at this crime scene...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw someone point it out on twitter. Didn't catch it myself because my brain was already atrophying at that point.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the show explain that people crumble into dust or something? I thought it was supposed to be a "vanishing" thing.

Either way it looks like the guy was very aroused while reading a book. Also the perspective is completely screwed up - look where the guy on the left is standing in relation to the chalk outline. Either the outline is on an incline we can't see and the guy on the right is hovering somehow, or they just slapped that outline down on a flat texture and didn't bother changing the perspective at all. Man that show looks bad.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So Shokugeki is Yakitake with a similarly ambitious yet much less annoying protagonist, and not only about bread? Sounds good.

I didn't mind Yakitate's protag, but yeah, it is a less the Goku kind of genius dunce style character this time around. If you are fine with organic reactions, it is fun.
Maur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Didn't the show explain that people crumble into dust or something? I thought it was supposed to be a "vanishing" thing.

Oh, no, I get the "logic" of the vanishing thing. I meant that all the blood seemed to be concentrated in one location and I want to know WTH this guy was doing so close to a park before he vanished.

Was he a libertarian reading Atlas Shrugged for the first time?
krelyan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Maur wrote:
Zac wrote:

Oh, no, I get the "logic" of the vanishing thing. I meant that all the blood seemed to be concentrated in one location and I want to know WTH this guy was doing so close to a park before he vanished.

Was he a libertarian reading Atlas Shrugged for the first time?

Looks like another Captain of Industry has gone Galt.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Great Spring season!

Food Wars is ridiculous, funny and overall entertaining -- I missed not having a show like this in a while.

Seraph of the End is alright. A little low budget animation, but that's okay. All I really want out of the show is bloody brutal action.

Nagato Haruhi spin off is awesome. Just seeing North Hight and the club animated after so long brings back nostalgia. The remix of the old soundtrack sounded great too, and the comedy seems decent enough to keep me entertained.

Fate Stay Night UBW is very underwhelming. It's like they're intentionally trying to keep the plot boring through horrible pacing and long monologues. I hope the action scenes alone can rescue this show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
UtaPri Revolutions
Hope wrote:
The Triple S is the Super Star Sports event, hosted by one country every several years or so--it's totally the Olympics.

Maybe it's the Gay Games. Although those don't get as much tv coverage.

Also, the title card in the video (as well as the episode title) does say "The Dice Are Cast," though it sounds to me like they're singing, "The Die Are Cast," which, if so, is another iteration of grammatically incorrect. Smile

Weirdly, I ended up watching Shounen Hollywood's finale just before this, and even with the drop in quality, UtaPri's dance moves are light years beyond the Hollywood boys'. They threatened a Hollywood for 51 though, so maybe they'll send them to Saotome Academy next season for a tune-up.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:
Is the new season of Lupin even happening?
Because, I haven't seen anything.

Shoot, you're right. I had mostly forgotten it was even happening because I saw no promos or info. Not like it's hard for shows to get lost in the mayhem of the Spring season, but still.

Last I heard it was an exclusive Italian TV broadcast.
So I doubt we'll see anything about it until the Italian broadcast is over.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Plastic memory, I guess it's just another one of those show were you have to let the feel overtake your brain and turn off your logic, which I just can't do.

You know the company makes 95% of it's money on "my ideal boyfriend/girlfriend" and sex slave. It's pretty much just a service for rich people to buy human rather than actually go out and interact with other real human being. I can already see the add "Don't want to change diaper, why don't you just buy a 10 year old kid for yourself, no need to take care of the baby, or adopt internationally where the kid would be *gasp* a different race than you! Buy now!". Kinda hard to feel sad for them, could have side stepped the entire short life span problem by just dealing with normal human.

Then you get into everything else, the guy just got hired and doesn't even know about his job, he barely even know about his company product. And why do they even retrieve them, just send an email and warn them in advance, once there memory are gone the owner will naturally bring it in for maintenance and you can just take care of it there.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd check out Plastic Memories, since it's so highly recommended, but boy, I could barely through it. First of all, maybe I'm just too old an anime fan, but the aesthetic is just not "my" anime. The character designs are your basic ANIME looks, candy-coated, and everything looks too shiny and overly lit. I need to wear a pair of sunglasses just to get through the episode. It has this unnatural gleam.

And the story seems like a dime-a-dozen robot retirement, limited lifespan, perfect robot waifu tearjerker lesson about impermanence and living in the moment twaddle you see in scifi romance these days. Monochromatic, Chobits, Pluto, Key the Metal Idol, blah blah, been there, done that.

It's all pretty transparent and predictable. You can guess every beat of this story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, nice going ANN. Not only did you accept an ad for FUNimation that spoils a major plot twist for Seraph of the End, you then had the gall to put it up on the same page as the Preview Guide:

Some will argue that the plot twist was predictable, and they're right, but that doesn't excuse spoiling it. Whoever was in charge of allowing this ad to appear on the site at all - let alone on that particular page - dun goofed big time.

Edit: oh, maxwell3094 has brought that up already.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 43