• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
onewing wrote:
...A tryhard to be touching story can easily buy score.

I think people have misunderstood this comment. While it is a dig at the reviewers I just don't see it as suggesting payola. To me it's saying that sentimentality can make something seem better than it actually is.

The money out of the screen image is memorable, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
onewing wrote:
...A tryhard to be touching story can easily buy score.

I think people have misunderstood this comment. While it is a dig at the reviewers I just don't see it as suggesting payola. To me it's saying that sentimentality can make something seem better than it actually is.

The money out of the screen image is memorable, though.

Oh yeah, that's definitely what he meant. My point was that he used that specific phrasing to try and paint the show's emotional appeals as inherently wrong or bad, equating emotional manipulation (done well) with payola. Words have power, after all. It's interesting to see which words people will use in a situation to try and make a weak argument or non-argument stronger, and I thought that was a pretty classic example of it, so I just felt like pointing it out.

Now, I have affirmed your opinion, so where's my payout, come on, chop chop!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Writer of Ultimate Otaku Teacher: "Ooh, somebody used posting people's personal information online to threaten them? That sounds like a great idea for my story!" *never bothers checking what actually happens to people when you do that*

You don't have to be a "person who cares about social justice" to realize that doxxing - posting a person's personal information, like their name, address, telephone number, etc. online without their permission in a way that identifies them as a target - is a terrible, terrible idea. Because there are a lot of awful, antisocial people out there who may go way beyond whatever awkwardness or embarrassment you intended for them. Don't do it to feminists, don't do it to people I disagree with politically, just don't do it.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
MisterImouto wrote:
Wow, Ultimate Otaku Teacher sounds absolutely disgusting. Is this spring 2015's new Cross Ange?

Sadly, no.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how to feel yet about Plastic Memories, since it's very "anime" in some respects (ordinary dude thrown into unfamiliar situation where he's surrounded by various female archetypes, partner is cute supposedly competent but actually adorably awkward girl with hidden sadness) and the tragic seriousness is sort of contrived, but somehow it still works. I'll have to see how things go from here, since they covered more than you'd expect in the introduction episode.

Definitely betting it'll turn out that spoiler[Giftias don't really break down after a seemingly arbitrary amount of time, but have to be shut down for some other, probably nefarious reason. Maybe that's when they gain "true" consciousness or something.]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
MisterImouto wrote:
Wow, Ultimate Otaku Teacher sounds absolutely disgusting. Is this spring 2015's new Cross Ange?

Spoken like someone who has not seen the full series, I presume. Certainly, the first episode is...controversial, to say the least, and it is understandable that one could consider the series as a whole to be disgusting from that. One need not sit though what they find disgusting even if there is better stuff past it. Knowing what you do not like is important. If you doubt that there is a respectable show beyond the first episode, one need only see Theron's episode reviews. Now, even still it was very fan servicey, and some might find that disgusting or otherwise unappealing, which one is free to do. I only urge that one be respectful to the show and those who saw it. You are free to you opinion but please be respectful.

Note that watching a show is not an endorsement of everything in the show.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Question for moderators about an edit on my post: is there a reason why the certain term was cut? I won't use it in future posts. (PM if you don't want to derail the thread)

So far I am definitely checking out Plastic Memories and probably Heroic Legend of Arslan (old and new). Nothing else so far has really caught my attention but there's still a lot of shows coming up so *crosses fingers*.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Question for moderators about an edit on my post: is there a reason why the certain term was cut? I won't use it in future posts. (PM if you don't want to derail the thread)

So far I am definitely checking out Plastic Memories and probably Heroic Legend of Arslan (old and new). Nothing else so far has really caught my attention but there's still a lot of shows coming up so *crosses fingers*.

We're just sick of the tribalism at this point. There's literally no good usage for the term, every time someone pops in to throw it in somebody's face, it's a barely veiled personal attack, so we might as well spare people the hassle. (I know you weren't using the term that way, just quoting a guy who was and has since been dealt with since he blew past the courtesy rules, but yeah. There ya go.)
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Writer of Ultimate Otaku Teacher: "Ooh, somebody used posting people's personal information online to threaten them? That sounds like a great idea for my story!" *never bothers checking what actually happens to people when you do that*

You don't have to be a "person who cares about social justice" to realize that doxxing - posting a person's personal information, like their name, address, telephone number, etc. online without their permission in a way that identifies them as a target - is a terrible, terrible idea.

It appears that both you and Hope missed the fact that the girls bullying Minako did exactly that to her - that was why she was almost assaulted. They had publicly posted her personal information along with some pictures of when she used to party with them as well as comments that she was "looking for a good time".

He was, as both Rebecca and Theron noted in their reviews, giving them a taste of their own medicine so they would understand what a terrible and dangerous thing they had done (without actually doing it to them).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
You don't have to be a "person who cares about social justice" to realize that doxxing - posting a person's personal information, like their name, address, telephone number, etc. online without their permission in a way that identifies them as a target - is a terrible, terrible idea.

But he didn't do that. He tossed them an iPad spoiler[with his software running to simulate a live stream doxxing, but from what I could tell, the internet was not involved in that particular ruse (Bluetooth, yes). It wouldn't need to be to convince them and show them how doxxing feels.] It was a bit overboard, but I didn't think it was any worse than the Onizuka trick cited in Hope's review. Also, spoiler[he did not illegally obtain their information since they posted it themselves to his website. They were just too stupid to realize that that site belonged to somebody, who might use it against them, just as they had actually done to Minako. They were lucky he was the owner.]
Hope Chapman wrote:
he's just too lazy to apply his brilliance anywhere and would rather watch cartoons and schmooze off his sister's money to buy merchandise.

Why would he be living off his sister when he's a millionaire? A Nobel prize is worth about $1.1 million these days. He doesn't strike me as the type to donate all or most of it as is generally done, so if anything she's probably living off him. At any rate, she wasn't complaining about being mooched off of, she just wanted him to not waste his life and genius.

Also, spoiler[Minako wrote the Rabbit post back in her delinquent days, not in response to the bullying, but because her family life was crap and acting out with Miho's gang wasn't helping her feel better.] Whether the advice was right or wrong for her, the flashback wasn't supposed to be funny.

I have a whole different set of problems with the episode, but I think some of Hope's criticisms are a little unfair since they seem to be based on stuff that was either overlooked or misinterpreted.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
What the first episode doesn't say - and this is spoiler information about this show from the videogame it's based on

While I appreciate the gesture, on a more basic level you shouldn't mention it at all. The preview is for the first episode so what the first episode "doesn't say" shouldn't factor into it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It appears that both you and Hope missed the fact that the girls bullying Minako did exactly that to her - that was why she was almost assaulted. They had publicly posted her personal information along with some pictures of when she used to party with them along with comments that she was "looking for a good time".

He was, as both Rebecca and Theron noted in their reviews, giving them a taste of their own medicine so they would understand what a terrible and dangerous thing they had done (without actually doing it to them).

Different strokes on the justifiability of that. Rebecca and Theron saw it one way, Nick and I saw it a different way. Putting aside that the guy is an insufferable shitheel who treats everyone around him like garbage regardless of his actions at the end of the episode, I don't think that threatening to murder someone's loved ones or threatening to burn their house down is a heroic reaction to murder or arson, and even if that's debatable, it sure as hell isn't a hilarious reaction, as the episode seemed to think it was. There's literally nothing funny about it, whether you consider it justified or not.

The big clincher for me is not just that he threatened to doxx those girls, but that his "fakeout" was insincere. No, he didn't leak their personal information to the internet and encourage harassment, (thing that has been shown as heinous and villainous in most other anime that have addressed it because ya know, it's not remotely funny,) but he can. A fake threat can only be laughed off as harmless if it's really a fake threat. He has their addresses. He has their numbers. He called their phone. He still has blackmail on them and he keeps it. No, they're not going to do anything with it in future episodes because this is a predictable crappy comedy throwaway intro to his character, but the fact that he still has it, and threatened them with that, a threat that is technically still very real, that's criminal and gross and crappy to me. Yes, even if that information was logged on his website by them "because they were dumb lol." It's a breach of ethics. If someone drops their wallet and you find it, but take money out of it before putting it back in their mailbox, it may be hard to prosecute it as theft, but you still absolutely did something wrong.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Heroic Legend of Arslan... I was getting Escaflowne vibes, not just from the general fantasy setting. But the first episode, while it shows the story has tons of potential, was a little on the bland side. By design, I'm sure, because it's intended to establish the main character's fairly sheltered life and how he's starting to see the cracks in the society he lives in. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

At least it wasn't Plastic Memories and its shallow, candy-coated "FEELS" pandering. Come on, the little girl and the old lady? Hey, when's the puppy episode? Or the very probable revelation that the main girl is also close to robot retirement age? You can see where this is going a mile away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FlyingDutchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad run so far.

Really can't wait for RomCom: SNAFU

The first season was pure gold, hopefully the second season will continue the trend.

Hoping to save a couple shows this season for binge watching until they get some more episodes down, but I'm prolly gonna cave on Is it Wrong to try and Pick up Girls in a Dungeon.

Not a bad round of reviews either. Although I'm usually way more forgiving than you guys.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
MisterImouto wrote:

This is quite an endorsement. I'll have to watch it. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 43