• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Any plans for covering labyrinth/Eden of grisaia or should we await the results of the daily streaming poll?

As for my impressions I'll say this spoiler[ the brocon is strong in this one, both kazuki and the labyrinth special among other things]

Nope. Grisaia ranked really low in interest on the poll, and the reviewer who covered the first season wasn't interested in writing about it anymore either, so no Grisaia for daily streaming. Maybe a full series review later?

Since you asked, this is the Daily Streaming breakdown this season!

Amy McNulty
Gintama
Naruto Shippuden
Show by Rock!!

Gabriella Ekens
Fate/stay Night UBW
Plastic Memories
Seraph of the End

Hope Chapman
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Lauren Orsini
Gunslinger Stratos
Kuroko's Basketball
RIN-NE

Paul Jensen
Assassination Classroom
Mikagura School Suite
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

Mike Toole
Ninja Slayer

Nick Creamer
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
My Teenage Romcom SNAFU TOO!
Sound! Euphonium

Rebecca Silverman
Food Wars!
Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Sailor Moon Crystal
Uta no Prince-sama: Revolutions

Rose Bridges
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
MY love STORY!!
Wish Upon the Pleiades

Theron Martin
High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi:
PUNCH LINE

So Ace of the Diamond, Baby Steps, ETOTAMA, Grisaia, Hello! Kinmoza 3, Re-Kan, Tesagure 3, Triage X, and Ultimate Otaku Teacher are not being covered for daily streaming, but that doesn't mean they can't be reviewed for the site at the end of their cour later.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Nope. Grisaia ranked really low in interest on the poll, and the reviewer who covered the first season wasn't interested in writing about it anymore either, so no Grisaia for daily streaming. Maybe a full series review later?

That's a shame. I enjoyed Grisaia no Kajitsu -Le Fruit de la Grisaia-, and I was hoping it would be pick-up again for the Daily Streaming Reviews (DSR).

Some surprises in the shows that did got picked-up for DSR
JesuOtaku wrote:
Amy McNulty
-snip-
Show by Rock!!

Lauren Orsini
Gunslinger Stratos
-snip-
RIN-NE

Paul Jensen
-snip-
Mikagura School Suite
-snip-

Mike Toole
Ninja Slayer

Nick Creamer
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
-snip-
Sound! Euphonium

Rebecca Silverman
Food Wars!
-snip-

Rose Bridges
-snip-
Wish Upon the Pleiades

Theron Martin
-snip-
PUNCH LINE

Those shows either got a relatively "not impressed" reviews from the ANN staff or similar dissatisfaction from this site's users. And with Ninja Slayer From Animation hasn't began streaming, picking it up is a gamble. (Not that I'm any better, as one who voted for it, too Very Happy)

JesuOtaku wrote:
So Ace of the Diamond, Baby Steps, ETOTAMA, Grisaia, Hello! Kinmoza 3, Re-Kan, Tesagure 3, Triage X, and Ultimate Otaku Teacher are not being covered for daily streaming, but that doesn't mean they can't be reviewed for the site at the end of their cour later.

It's too bad that Daiya no Ace ~Second Season~ and Baby Steps weren't picked-up. Both have their strong points that I feel would've resonated well with ANN's users. Re-Kan! generally feels disjointed like Kōfuku Graffiti was, so I see why people wouldn't want another serving of this kind of show. Triage X was pretty obvious that it won't be picked-up, as was Denpa Kyōshi. I already wrote about my opinion regarding Grasaia, and I liked Etotama, so, again, I'm somewhat sad that it won't be covered (I mean, come on - who didn't like that cute Battle Mode sequence?).

I think that from the "rejects", Grisaia, Baby Steps and Etotama deserve the most to get an end-of-run review.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well I just find it alienating that every single other anime fan appears to be interested only on the stuff that's coming and not on watching the good stuff of the past.

I can't speak for everyone I am not, but it's perfectly possible to watch anime that have already been released while also watching current anime. Indeed, I gathered that was what people in general did, to varying degrees. Backlogs and stuff. Anyway, why "last 20 years"? Plenty of worthwhile series from decades before then. I'm currently watching Ranma ½, Tiger Mask, Alps no Shoujo Heidi and Minky Momo, for example.

JesuOtaku: Shame shorts aren't covered. Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken is looking to be one of the better shows so far, and Teekyuu is, well, Teekyuu.

Nosehair: Coolest of stories, bro.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
Wow im surprised Baby Steps didn't make the daily streaming cut. The others I more or less expected (even if I did vote for the worst ones like Triage X. My thought process being that I could read the reviews instead of watching it myself. Twisted Evil ) but I thought Baby Steps was actually pretty popular. Ah well having only 2 disappointments with that and Grisaia not making it isn't too bad at least. Most of the things I wanted made it in. I only regret that I wont be able to see a reviewer tear Triage X a new one each week but this is probably better for their sanity.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Who knows? Maybe the story here will end up rising to the occasion. At any rate, Rie Matsumoto is someone I don't want to miss.

Problem with Matsumoto is that she seems to live under misconception that she is a flash-ad-designer, not a director of anime series with story to tell. Kyōsōgiga did not offer anything but blinking screen and she is especially weak on characterization preferring simplified wile-e-coyote-like cartoonish approach with no depth. That's a bit of a shame as the other Nightow anime-adaptations I have seen (Gungrave, Trigun) characters and character-development were the strongest points of story. Right now it feels like Kekkai Sensen will be yet another anime adaptation ruined by picking up the wrong director.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

championferret wrote:
...sorry I'm too much of a self-absorbed jackass to find 24 minutes of juvenile 'OMG! PANTIES!!!!' entertaining?

I think pantsu-shots were actually the only reason to watch Punchline, animation quality was pretty high so the shots and chara art were very nice. Other than that the show has trimmings of your basic instantly forgettable dime-a-dozen harem series: weak story and weaker characters.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Since you asked, this is the Daily Streaming breakdown this season!

Huh. It's interesting how consistently what I'm watching lines up with certain people. I think since ANN started doing this, everything I've watched has been covered by Gabriella, Hope, Rose or Nick (or Zac or Mike when they participate). Haven't followed a single thing for more than a few episodes that's been covered by Theron, Rebecca, Paul, Lauren or Amy.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
Interesting lists. I somehow feel like Rebecca got the short end of the stick, though. Wink Looking forward to seeing how the shows all turn out, since I don't have time to follow much this season.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
i watched episode 1 of Blood Blockade Battlefront a few hours ago and my initial reactions are not good. not good at all... this series is trying so very hard to be cool by imitating other series that it lacks its own sense of identity. the best way i can describe it is: a mash-up of baccano!, kill la kill, gurren lagann and space dandy but without the competence, soul nor the heart of either of those shows. the monster/alien designs are uninspired and goofy looking and the story is a mess, as if it was rushed into production without a second opinion. it all comes across as very stupid. i find the positive reviews on ann to be grossly exaggerated, even from a technical standpoint of the visuals. there was a time when we could depend on bones to deliver a great series... in the early 2000s they were on fire with RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess, Fullmetal Alchemist and Kurau Phantom Memory. these days you never quite know what to expect from them... suffice to say i will not be watching any more of this.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Regarding Blood Blockade Battlefront, the moment the basic premise of a city (formerly New York) now teeming with freaks/monsters of every sort, due to a 'gate' to the 'Otherworld' opening, and humans and Otherworlders now living side by side, my hopes plunged because somehow that was one story I definitely didn't want to hear. Perhaps it was because there was so little originality to Kekkai Sensen; stuff like a secret society that fights supernatural evil; a guy with a unique ability; a new martial art; bizarre creatures ('sonic monkey'?); etc. For some reason this show struck me as being much like Durarara, just even weirder. Maybe the scheming villain who enjoys manipulating people from behind the scenes helped me make the connection. But whereas the characters of Durarara did a few things to earn the 'coolness' they exuded, here it seems we are just supposed to accept the characters as being cool right from the start. That annoys me. I didn't like even the members of the Libra group, who will seemingly be the good guys, and couldn't care much about main character Leonardo. Who is he? A guy who feels guilty because he didn't prevent his sister from being harmed, and has picked up a unique ability somehow. That's all we know. One thing which did impress me was the animation of a fight scene near the end of the episode. But in general BBB rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I also didn't like the way we are supposed to suspend disbelief and accept this freakworld as a given even though there is no explanation of how it came about and no hint that there ever will be one. As a result of all these problems, I was bored right from the start. I can't believe that I will ever care how this nonsensical story will work out, and therefore won't watch anymore.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Problem with Matsumoto is that she seems to live under misconception that she is a flash-ad-designer, not a director of anime series with story to tell. Kyōsōgiga did not offer anything but blinking screen and she is especially weak on characterization preferring simplified wile-e-coyote-like cartoonish approach with no depth.

Apparently we did not watch the same series. Characterization was actually one of the main focal points and strengths of Kyousogiga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Re-Kan! generally feels disjointed like Kōfuku Graffiti was, so I see why people wouldn't want another serving of this kind of show.

I for one certainly do, but I did not vote for it getting a weekly review because there are too many other shows this season that are better suited for them. Say what you will about Show By Rock!! and Punch Line, but just their visuals alone offer plenty of fodder for detailed analysis, not to mention they've each provided lots of speculation fuel already. Regardless of any perceived differences in quality, the quantity of content that a reviewer could share interesting insights on is similar to what's in Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Although I personally enjoyed Etotama and Re-Kan immensely, in my opinion they did not contain anything worth writing about at length compared to many of this season's shows. Re-Kan has curiously poignant undertones contrasting with its cutesy characters and their comedic antics, and Etotama had an unexpectedly impressive 3DCG combat sequence, but despite their entertainment value those charms are relatively basic, with the rest of those series largely consisting of often stale and always hit-and-miss humor. They'll be fun to watch, but it seems unlikely they would naturally generate substantial commentary.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I can't speak for everyone I am not, but it's perfectly possible to watch anime that have already been released while also watching current anime. Indeed, I gathered that was what people in general did, to varying degrees. Backlogs and stuff. Anyway, why "last 20 years"? Plenty of worthwhile series from decades before then. I'm currently watching Ranma ½, Tiger Mask, Alps no Shoujo Heidi and Minky Momo, for example.

Agree. For me, I'm trying to catch up on shows I missed from the late 2000's and early 2010's. It's confusing, though. I'm starting to lose track of which episode of which show I'm on, lol.

ikillchicken wrote:
Huh. It's interesting how consistently what I'm watching lines up with certain people.

I'm glad we're seeing this. Pretty much all the shows have been matched up with the reviewers that have the similar taste.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

I'm glad we're seeing this. Pretty much all the shows have been matched up with the reviewers that have the similar taste.

It's based on requests and volunteering from those reviewers combined with the needs of the poll results, so that would be why. We want people covering stuff they enjoy and are most fitting to their tastes, so yeah, none of it's draft if we can help it, and the reviewers' tastes are diverse enough that we can mostly just match stuff up by who wants what.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Has there been a situation in which more than one person want to cover the same show? Do you solve that on a first-come-first-served basis or something?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo's numerical score for Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches appears to be missing.

@CrowLia - Please don't make them ruin the mystery, I prefer to picture it going something like Ben-To.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 43