• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer Season 2011: Final Weeks / Postmortem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Kami-sama no Memo-Chou - It started off slowly but a double length episode was definitely for the best. I'm intrigued enough to keep going.

Uta no Prince-Sama - Laughably bad but I still found it quite entertaining. The comments on Niconico make it worth watching.

Ikoku Meiro - I'm just about to watch it. It looks interesting though

Blood-C - I'm a sucker for CLAMP, and just about to watch it. I've not seen anything else in the franchise to compare it to.

I also want to watch Natsume Yuujinchou San and Usagi Drop, but I don't have a Crunchyroll subscription and I'm going to be a decent human being and watch them legally rather than download them.

Continuing with: Sket Dance. I'm also watching a few random older shows like Honey and Clover and I just started One Piece a few days ago (yes, I've got a long way to go...)
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
Quick rundown on what I've watched so far:

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee: Going to follow this one to the end. It's slice of life which I enjoy, and it looks to be a good one too. Something about this one seems different from other SOL shows, maybe it is because it seems more serious than humorous.

Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Uasgi: I'm going to wait until I see episode two before I decide if I want to watch more of it or not. First episode wasn't bad, but since it is a 2 parter I need to see the last part.

Twin Angel: It is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It is stupid yes, but it is fun stupid. I would like to see what direction the show goes in.

Mayo Chiki: First episode was alright, but I need to see the next one to determine if I am going to watch more of it or not. Funny at times, and I like the gender bender aspects.

Nyanpire The Animation: Given that I love Gonzo, I might wait until a few episode are out at a time then watch them all since they are so short to begin with. It is more of a boredom passer than anything else.

R-15: Regardless of what Zac and the others say I don't think it was that bad of an episode. Sure it's not completely original, but not being original doesn't mean it is not enjoyable. The one problem that I had was all the censorship, that made it near unwatchable. I can't stand all that censorship.

Usagi Drop: Even if everyone ruined the later parts of the manga for me (which btw I don't see a problem where it went even though I haven't read the manga), I still enjoyed the first episode. Could be in the top five shows of the season. I don't cry while watching anything anymore, and I was almost in tears while watching the first episode.

Yuri Yuri: The first episode did not do much for me, but since I believe in second chances I will give it another show to try and keep me interested.

Ro-Kyu-Bu!: While I said I was going to drop the series after episode 1 I decided to give it another shot and watched episode 2. Now that the plot seems to be going in episode 2 and we some development of a few of the cast members I decided that I will keep watching it.

IdolM@ster: Here is a surprise for me on this one. I didn't initially have any interest in IM but with everyone talking about production values I said to myself that I should give it a watch. Even thought it is a moe show, the attempt to at least develop the cast as real people and not just their stock characters was a change of pace from the moe shows of late. I don't know how this one will go, but I am going to watch this all the way.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rojse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
rojse wrote:
My first impression was that there is a dearth lack of shows involving giant robots in this season.

It's okay, we have the maids. Laughing

If I get to choose between a giant robot and a maid, I'm going to go with the giant robot every single time, thank you very much.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

Ro-Kyu-Bu!: Surprisingly I dropped this after watching episode 1. It is surprising because I like loli shows, but I was bored watching the first episode. Maybe once it is finished airing and the BD's come out I will go back and watch the rest of it.

Dropping after the first episode might be for the best (for a strange reason), the fist episode was very weak and I have the impression it might be the true measure of the show, but the second episode featured entirely on plot and was much better. Seeing as you seem to be a like-minded forgiving person you'd probably be convinced to keep watching for a bit longer (as I am)... but I'm not convinced it'll be a rewarding endeavor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Ro-Kyu-Bu!: Surprisingly I dropped this after watching episode 1. It is surprising because I like loli shows, but I was bored watching the first episode. Maybe once it is finished airing and the BD's come out I will go back and watch the rest of it.

Dropping after the first episode might be for the best (for a strange reason), the fist episode was very weak and I have the impression it might be the true measure of the show, but the second episode featured entirely on plot and was much better. Seeing as you seem to be a like-minded forgiving person you'd probably be convinced to keep watching for a bit longer (as I am)... but I'm not convinced it'll be a rewarding endeavor.

I do have the fansubs of episode 2 on my computer at home, so I will give it another shot. After I though it for some time last week I said to myself, I should give it another shot at least get to episode 2 before I determine if I should keep going or not.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, you can talk about Idolmaster now since it's actually getting good scores from the latest reviews including Zacs.

It's not for everyone but it's worth watching the first episode alone for the animation, scene composition and direction alone which are all at a high level. Not to mention the unique way of introducing the large cast.

Even if it's not your cup of tea you should be able to respect that.
Deunan Knute's Butt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Of the new anime, the one that has piqued my interest the most is Idol M@ster. The one reservation I have is that it's based on a video game, other than that I'm hoping it will be a K-On! clone.
KLAC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Manyuu Hikenchou - ok then get on mention on series as well on ep.1

ok then saw ep.1 give big huh is those "lights" really do we need big solar flare on it?

so let some things in check

1.we got female aka chifusa on the run then fell on river while loyal servent aka kaede got "punish" by female with gun aka kagefusa
2.female on run chifusa is ok then found by female farmer then some blah then reveal farmer female got flat due to gun female kagefusa.
3.then gun female kagefusa vs female on the run chifusa give saw servent blonde kaede got flat due to "manyuu chopping" then fight is on & female on run chifusa win with result gun female kagefusa go flat & female on run chifusa get her manyuu grow bigger.
4.then reveal mention of scroll then go on journey to give equal manyuu to all female all over the land.
5.now on journey with loyal servent kaede give she might be "les yay" her master.

overall series seem good to watch just wonder how we keep up with those "solar flare" showing oh well just wait for license & dub then yes.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
Nyanpire is adorable, Idolm@ster is better than I expected, Twin Angel is boring and predictable as hell and tries way too hard to be funny, and R-15, Manyuu Hikenchou and Mayo Chiki are all godawful depraved shit.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting on the last couple to premeire before making comments on the last few, then my home internet went poof for a few days right before Dantelian premiered and it was mostly impossible to do anything with such an intermittent connection... so, now some shows are actually up to three episodes. oh well, it often works like that. The strange thing is that it wasn't the Noitamina shows that were last, they almost always premiere last.

anyhoo...

R-15: I think this could actually be funny, but it's also necessarily ecchi humor and the level of censorship is guaranteeing that I'm not watching until an uncensored version is available.

A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives: Another psycho bad guy, or at least a giant a$$hole, yet another back from death character variant, excessive censorship, all things that make me think I'm skipping this one too, I'll maybe watch another episode on CR to see if I want to save it for later or skip it outright.

Idolm@ster: You pretty much had to get to the second episode to get a true measure of this one. I don't see this one as treating a "real" idol lifestyle as much as a cutesy idealized one and it seems to me their shallow personalities are their personalities. Still, I can take cutesy idealized slice of life and get some laughter out of it.

Blood-C: I've never gotten a huge amount of pleasure from vampire shows in general or the Blood franchise in specific. Pretty much the same thing with Clamp series, but I usually find something to like and nevcer hate them- These first two episodes don't suggest anything that this pattern will change.

The Mystic Archives of /Dantalian/ no Shoka: I like the male lead, although he seems a bit pompous, and the girl is fine too, I guess the fate of the show will rest on the baddies they have to fight- but I don't expect great things.

Manyū Hiken-chō no, not even entertaining the possibility of watching of this one. I believe 5 reviewers rated it in the preview guide and everyone but Carl gave it a Zero, and I don't know if Carl uses zero ratings, so his 1 might be his lowest. It absolutely sounds despicable.

Cat God it was cute and all but, humor being subjective, I didn't find it funny. I'll give a couple more viewings but it's not impressing me.

Nyampire seems like a side/mascot character in a larger ensemble comedy. And I kinda preferred the Sameowri cat to Nyampire.

The new series stand-outs seem to be the ones I recommended to Teriyaki Terrier, plus one he's boycotting: Kamisama No Memo-cho, Ikoku Meiro No Croisee, Mawaru Penguindrum, No. 6, and Usagi Drop. Not necessarily in that order, with Natsume Yūjin-Chō San being a worthy continuation of a very good series. I haven't watched the new Baka to Test episodes yet because I thought Funimation would be streaming them. I wonder what the hold-up is there?
silencer226

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I haven't watched the new Baka to Test episodes yet because I thought Funimation would be streaming them. I wonder what the hold-up is there?

The first two episodes were a let down for me, I wanted to see more school battles but so far we've got a beach episode and a trap fashion show. I'm hoping episode 3 will rectify things because so far I have been disappointed.

Edit:

I've checked out 4 more shows.

Dantalian blah blah forgot the rest- Seems like it will be a good show. It's weird how the little girls in anime are always the ones who contain the amazing power of well... everything.

No. 6-Kind of weird... but I can watch it.

Ro-Kyo-Bu-I couldn't stomach any of this.

Usagi Drop-I didn't think I'd like this, but I do. How will this play out I wonder?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, got through half of episode 2 of Cat God / Nekogami Yaoyorozu and that's enough, it's just soooo unfunny. It's like a badly told and very long joke that never reaches a punchline. the guy telling the joke is likable, it's a situation that should be funny but you just can't force a smile anymore and have to excuse yourself.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Penguin - Is awesome. Serious themes, great sense of humor, good style. Has potential to get into territory that I might not want to follow it into, but so far it's awesome. First show I've been excited about since Madoka.

Memochou - I liked the serious nature of the investigation in the first episode (compared to Gosick which bored the hell out of me with its transparent contrived mysteries in the early episodes). Main character guy will probably be a dud, but the show has potential if they don't overplay the hikkikomori loli stuff (which they probably will, unfortunately).

Sacred Seven - Not for me.

IDOLM@STER - Nicely animated first episode, but it was pretty boring and I won't watch any more.

No. 6, Usagi Drop, Dantalian no Shoka, and Kamisama Dolls are still on my to-check-out list, but haven't gotten to them yet. Now that the only good show from last season (Denpa) is over, I've been catching up on some older stuff and rewatching Princess Tutu.

Pretty much avoiding the rest of the seasons' offerings based on synopsis and impressions.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
First impressions are mostly pretty favourable for me. Blood-C, (La) croisée dans un labyrinthe étranger, Kami-sama no Memo-chō, Kamisama Dolls, Mawaru Penguindrum, and Usagi Drop are in my top-tier "really enjoying, can't wait for the next episode to come out" category. To have six shows at that level in a single season is pretty damn good, as far as I'm concerned.

Next level down, I'm getting a kick out of Yuruyuri, Ro-Kyu-Bu! and R-15. I put No. 6 on this same level, but it's one of those shows that while I like it, I'm not bowled over by it. I liked the first eppie of A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives but I'll have to see more before settling into a definitive opinion on it.

Blade is kinda meh for me, but I'm sticking with it. I'm going to give Sacred Seven one more eppie but if it doesn't kick in for me, it is a prime candidate for droppage.

I haven't checked out The Mystic Archives of Dantalian yet because I'm waiting for its CR premiere this coming Friday. I strongly suspect I'll dig it.

So yeah, pretty strong summer for me.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Update:

Uta-Pri: Still laughably bad but I'm enjoying it anyway because it's so bad. The niconico comments make it even better.

Kami-Sama no Memo-Chou: It's not my favourite, but I'm enjoying it enough to stick with it. Hopefully it'll become more than just a mystery of the week show.

No 6: The first episode was meh, but the second episode has me interested enough to keep going. This seems like it could be good, but it'll probably be another wasted potential series. Dystopian future stories are 10 a penny, and most of them aren't great.

Blood-C: The art is pretty. I've not seen any other Blood shows so I can't compare it to them, but it's enjoyable enough to watch as it's coming out. I'm treating it as a school story with a bit of demon fighting. I wouldn't bother with it if I'd discovered it after it finished airing.

Natsume Yuujinchou San: The Natsume Yuujinchou we all know and love. This is one of the very few series I prefer in anime form to the manga. I read the volumes as they come out, rather than a chapter each month, and I think it works much better 1 episode at a time as opposed to 4 or 5 all at once.

Usagi Drop: D'awww. I immediately went and bought all 3 manga volumes that are out as soon as I saw it as I wanted more! But what about the ending?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4