• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer Season 2011: Final Weeks / Postmortem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that I ended up with 4 series that were in my excellent - perfect range

Steins;Gate- 9.5 - Pretty damn close to perfect for me. I'm a sci fi junkie and this series really did a good job of having what I felt was a "true" sci fi vibe to it. There were periods while watching it that I felt like I was actually reading a good sci fi novel instead of watching an anime. The characters were interesting, the story was engaging and had enough twists and turns to keep me hooked, and there was also a good mix of drama/comedy/thrills to round it all out. I will be buying it (hopefully on some sort of L.E. blu ray) early enough to have it at my door on release day.

Nichijou- 9 - In the beginning I knew that I liked the randomness of the show, and their were enough funny parts for me to rate it "good." About halfway through I began to notice something. Every episode, and many times multiple times during an episode I wasn't just chuckling, or semi-laughing with "ahhhh that was funny" running through my head; I was....I guess the term is guffawing? Belly laughing? Suffice it to say I had tears rolling from my eyes and had to catch my breath. I do not think I will ever forget Mio and Yukko's scene in episode 16 with the dojinshi and the cop, old man, and goat (wow what a random combo.) This is also a series that will be purchased by me.

Natsume Yujincho- 9 - Great as always. This series has always been one of my favorites, and also one of the series that I always wonder with all the garbage that gets licensed here how it is not yet available. At first I thought it was because I might be in the minority liking it, but it has now been run with 3 seasons, and every time I see it mentioned in a forum or a review there are countless fans that comment on how much they like it and wish it was licensed. It always seems to have a perfect blend of story, character, a little drama and action, and of course feeling. This season especially seemed to ramp up the antagonists a little bit. That youkai that was putting himself back together piece by piece was freaky. Come on companies one of you license it, and I'll buy every season.

Kamisama No Memo-cho- 9- I never really saw many people talking about this show but I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and their interactions a good deal, and I also liked the artwork. The "cases" I guess you would call them were typically unconventional and the show didn't seem to fill itself with cliches too much. Sure you might argue Alice might fit the mold that has been used as of late like in GoSick and Dantalian, but I think she was a good bit different. Otherwise I though much of the material was fresh in that it was of a mature nature, like the Fourth and his friend's past, the money laundering mob, and the last arc especially. spoiler[The end was especially touching when he was up on the roof with Alice. I figured Ayako would probably wake up but I didn't expect the whole flower thing on the roof where she had drew out the design but changed the center.] Good chance of a purchase on this one too.

I also enjoyed:
Dantalian- I'd rate it 7ish for interesting stories and characters, although I was wanting more of an overall theme
Kamisama Dolls- 8- Just missed out on excellent, and most likely because spoiler[instead of ending with an arc that left a continuation for a new season open but closed the first season off decently, they really just teased with "here's this season's end which is decent.... but look at this bad-assery that we plan on doing next that you just have to wait a good while for."] Frustrating to say the least.
Blue Exorcist- 7 as of now- I might bump it up if they finish it off well next episode, but I did have a couple problems with it. The beginning just seemed a bit slow, for a while I felt like I was watching some school comedy instead of an action shonen. Also, spoiler[In the most recent episode I've seen where Yukio drives Satan out of himself, it just felt way to easy. I mean their adoptive father who was supposed to be the strongest exorcist was easily consumed but Yukio didn't have a problem with it? Sure he might be powerful because he is his son, but he is going against the most powerful demon in existence that has been around forever. Just felt like a bit of a time saving cop out.]
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm mostly caught up so this is how I plan to rate the Summer 2011 season:

Excellent
Hana Saku Iroha
Mawaru Penguindrum
Usagi Drop
Natsume Yujin-cho

Very Good
Kaiji 2
Steins;Gate
Blood-C
Kamisama Dolls
Nichijou

Good
Ao no Excorcist
Baka to Test
Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth
Dantalian no Shoka
Kami-sama no Memocho
Nura

Decent
Mayo Chiki!
Nekogami Yaoyorozu
Tiger and Bunny
Sacred Seven

So-So
No. 6

Not Really Good
Dark Rabbit blah blah blah
invishei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
In this season I can distinguish only 2 titles: Steins; Gate and Natsume. Among the modern anime industry good science fiction very rare. Although, Steins; Gate have a many controversies, I recommended to pay attention on it. Those people, who saw first two seasons of Natsume, know, what need to expect.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this season. Way too many anime to list, but I loved over a dozen of them. The ending to Nichijou was very sad, but I did enjoy the show a lot more than I thought I would. Tiger and Bunny, Steins;Gate, No6... hopefully fall is just as good.
dan7el

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed/Would Recomment:
Stein's Gate -- time travel done well with a likeable mad-scientist wanna-be protagonist and an interesting story line that kept us guessing who was who and what would happen next each week. Watch with a Dr. Pepper.

Kamisama no memo chou -- Story of a teen in a new town meeting a friend and getting involved with a NEET detective agency run by a genius hikikomori and finding a place in a local gang. Many sub-arch solved by the detective with an overall arch in the end. I hope for more. Watch with a Dr. Pepper substitute (Mr. Pibb or perhaps Dr. Thunder).

Sacred Seven -- teen boy born with the ability to transform into a superhuman "monster" finds acceptance (and love) and a purpose. It was fun to watch. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions. Less maids would be better, though. Watch with a Mountain Dew.

Hanasaku Iroha -- teen girl leaves her useless mother to go live with her grandmother in a ryoken in some po-dunk town. Her unending enthusiasm for everything charms everyone, including us the viewers. While there were lots of annoying things in this show, it was well worth watching. Watch with a cup of green tea.

Tiger and Bunny -- a show about super heroes that pokes fun at super heroes and many of the tropes involving them. The main hero is a useless klutz who wins the day by really caring about everyone. Watch with a Pepsi Max (Nex or Next -- which is it?).

Usagi Drop -- Probably the most heart-warming and fun show to watch this season -- in spite of the absolutely horrible ending in the manga. Do yourself a favor and do *not* seek to know how the manga ends and just watch this anime. Watch with a glass of milk.

Kamisama Dolls -- this show has more potential than it provided this season, but a second season is in the works and it was worth watching. Wanting to know more about what was going on kept me "tuning in" each week. I got most of my questions answered, but now there is more that needs to be done. Some annoying characters, but nothing unwatchable. Watch with a cup of coffee.

Watched but "just okay"
Baka to test to shokanjou ni -- Not as good as the first season. I didn't laugh as much and the status-quo remained the same. Frustrating. The only redeeming side to this season is less of Akihisa's sister. Watch with an orange.

Ao no Exorcist -- started out strong but they lost me with the filler episodes. Read the manga and drop the filler garbage. Watch with whatever.

No 6. -- There is really no reason to watch this. The story could've been great but wasn't given enough episodes, I guess. Watch with a tissue, crying for the lost time you spent watching this show.

Dantallian -- Okay show about some dude who inherits a castle and books and some chick who is not really human but a bookshelf for "phantom books" herself. They have adventures each week finding bad books and saving people from them. Or not. Watch with your Kindle.

Don't Bother
A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives -- and a cat has nine lives and this show will kill them all. High school boy is "immortal" and vampire girl loves him for no reason and she's immortal and very old but looks and acts 16 years old. We don't know why. We don't care either. Watch drunk because that's the only way this show will make sense.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
My verdicts (in alphabetical order)

Blood-C - Lolwhut?!

Hanasaku Iroha: Drama without being too soap opera-y. I like series that are definitely Japanese, so I enjoyed the fact it was set in an onsen. (I know it's technically a Spring show but it just finished so it can go here)

Ikoku Meiro: Sweet slice of life. I'm kind of a sucker for historical drama, so I enjoyed this probably more than I would enjoy normal slice of life. The animation was pretty as well, which definitely added to it.

Kamisama no Memochou: Definitely got better as it went along. I nearly dropped it but I didn't since it turned out to be more than just mystery of the week.

Natsume Yuujinchou: The Natsume we all know and love. Like having a familiar friend that you've missed back from a holiday. One of the very few shows I enjoy more in anime form than the original manga.

No 6: Like I said in a previous post, wasted potential. Could've been so much better than it was. As it is, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Usagi Drop: D'awww. No weird ending either. I'm now in 2 minds about whether to buy the rest of the manga or just buy the first few volumes and not ruin it for myself.

Uta no Prince-sama: I only kept watching this because the comments on Niconico were so hilarious. Go watch La Corda d'Oro if you want a decentish reverse harem music show.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Using this thread as I am too lazy to use the quick-links to the official threads.

I just finished Dantalian no Shoka / The Mystic Archives of Dantalian, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were flaws and the show could had been made better but I really enjoyed. I'm giving it a rating of Very Good. There was actually more than one story going on in several of the episodes such as Hugh's (Huey) past and his relationship with the girl residing inside the library. That's where the flaws kick in, not much is known about her besides the connection between her and Hugh. Several characters were introduced and the primary antagonist wasn't even introduced until the latter half of the series. Even then, he had little to no cameos. The show has interesting characters, some of which may be more interesting than the main cast, but the characters were really enjoyable. I'm actually hoping for more and the characteristics of the Yomihimes were intriguing and just cute. There are points when the show gets a little boring, but I was able to get past it. My only rant is the lack of information regarding many characters such as the other Yomihimes and their Keymasters. Overall, it's a fun show, and it's probably something you'd want to watch when you're bored. It's not really something you'd want to critique about plot as it is an episodic book-hunting show. Not that episodic shows don't have plots.

I also finished Mayo Chiki and I don't know where to start. The plot... lets not talk about that. The show was only interesting for the girls and even then, there were only a few girls who intrigued me. The sadistic oujo-sama was awesome until she became less sadistic and her sadism didn't appear as often. the Usami chick was also interesting but then I just couldn't really bear with the show. I don't remember my rating for it but I think I gave it a Decent or Good. The other chicks? Yea, I forgot or don't care about them.

I do need to finish a few Summer series but I don't have the motivation nor time to do so.

These series are:

Ao No Exorcist
Kamisama no Memochou
Nurarihyon no Mago S2
Baka to Test Ni (2 more epis, I think)
Beelzebub (ongoing still)
Mawaru Penguindrum
Idolm@ster
Usagi Drop

Unofficially dropped:

Sacred Seven
No. 6
A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives
R-15

What did I do the whole Summer to not watch some of these... Oh yeah... I was watching adult anime...
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Excellent

Sacred Seven: While it's story isn't anything spectacular, it did literally everything else PERFECTLY. I only wish they cut back on their funding of Tiger and Bunny just so they could flesh this series out more.
Verdict: Great everything but story.

BakaTestS2: Just as good as the first season. And Kondou gets more screen time.
Verdict: Great comedy and style. Some of the jokes can be predictable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Very Good

Usagi Drop: Great story. Very nostalgic and cute. And unlike some people, I have no problem with the manga's ending. It's weakness stems from the various loose threads, the fact that it still has an entire season's worth of materials to adapt, and it's incredibly short length(11 episodes only?!).
Verdict: If I pretended that I'm only giving a score based on my impression of an anime midway through it's run, this would been a perfect. But as of now, the lack of a second season needed to adapt the rest of the manga hurts it.

Nurarihiyon No Mago S2: It's even better than the 1st season which I enjoyed quite a bit. The series isn't finished yet though so I can't really judge it. Viz's translations were awkward("kekkai barrier"), and I did not appreciate the re-cap episode. Asides from that, I can't really judge it yet.
Verdict: Unfinished. Never use the term "kekkai barrier" ever again. Either one alone is fine.

Good

Ryo-Ku-Bu(loli basketball): I enjoyed it for the most part. Hinata is CUUUUUTE. Plenty of lolis, and some of the jokes actually amused me. This show filled my loli quota for the season. It's setbacks of course comes from the terrible animation quality when it came to drawing Maho(this only applies to Maho, funny enough). It's attempts at drama wasn't that effective either.
Verdict: Cute and entertaining, the comedy works. Thin drama and Maho was drawn horribly, almost like she belongs in another anime.

Tiger And Bunny: The animation is really nice. The concept is interesting. But with the exception of Kotetsu, fanservice-ice-lady, and Chinese girl, most of the characters were kinda ugly. And not that big a fan of the sprawling city setting, but that's pure matter of taste. Not as good as Sacred Seven imo, the only thing it has over Sacred Seven is story, but that's only ONE area it does better. SS trumps it everywhere else.
Verdict: Great art, interesting story, and neat concept. Some of the characters(such as Fire Emblem) could use a makeover though.

Mayo Chiki: This anime filled my "fanservicey harem anime" quota for the season. I like the concept, and this is the few harem anime where my favourite character is the obvious victorious female, rather than the loli-ish or rich bitch one. The humor clicks with me, especially the parts where they beat the crap out of the male lead. It's weakness...like most harem-anime, it doesn't reach very high.
Verdict: Typical harem ecchi anime. This one distinguishes itself with terrific character designs though...I like the crossdressing butler.

Dantalian No Shoka: I expected better from you Gainax! Dalian is a great character, she's amusing, especially in her girly moments. On the other hand, I hate the male lead with a passion. He. Is. A. Book. Burning. Ambitionless. Moron. He's dull and character-less. The story is also meh, but watchable nonetheless. Overall I enjoyed it, great animation.
Verdict: Not Gosick enough. Great female lead. Infuriating male lead. Decent animation, meh story.

So-So

Dark Bunny has Seven Lives: I was hoping this would be like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou. It's animation seemed choppy at times. And even worse, the one thing it had in common with Demon Lord is the fact that it's story was clearly intended for a much longer anime. This one felt rushed. On the bright side, all of the character designs were distinctive and I liked them.
Verdict: Nice character designs and concept, too rushed to tell a decent story. The hero had a lapse of common sense occasionally. Animation could use some polishing.

Complete Garbage

Blade: What did you expect?! The first 3 Madhouse anime, made from far better series were trainwrecks on their own! What hope did someone like BLADE have in being remotely watchable?! The one good thing it has is decent fighting animations at times. Asides from that, ugly-ass protagonist, boring story, typical Marvel-anime quality. Laughing Know what woulda been a far better choice to adapt into an anime? SPIDERMAN!
Verdict: It's worse than Wolverine, this series usurped Wolverine for "worst Marvel anime".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4