• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Create a cute anime character.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Lots of anime characters are cute but in anime they are created by someone else. So even if some characters satisfy your requisites for cuteness, they may not fit one's exact ideal of cuteness.

The idea is simple, just design a character that combines features from several different characters to more closely approach your ideal cute character.

Describing characters in terms of existing ones will help others visualize what she or he might look like.

My character:
I love anime girls with blonde hair.
I love eyes from Clamp characters.
I love hair that hangs in front of the ears to be really long.
And that little "fang" that girls have sometimes is cute.

So blonde hair, the same color as Pacifica's and similar in style to hers but instead of twisty in the front, long sideburns like Misaki from Angelic Layer. A face just like Chi from Chobits, with the addition of a cute fang like Tsuruya. And to top it all off this character is actually a boy but with a slender girly figure, since I like traps.
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
OK and the point of this is what exactly?

I think there are tons of cute girls in anime, so there really is no point to invent some new ones.

Sorry for being rude, but this just seems like a waste of a new topic.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

I think there are tons of cute girls in anime, so there really is no point to invent some new ones.

Well, cute is in the eye of the beholder. The point? To talk about cute girls and what features we think are the cutest Razz I don't think this is a waste of a topic. Afterall not all topics should have to be deep and as much as I love discussing anime metaphors and symbolism, especially Utena ones, it's fun to just kick back and let your imagination run with imagining impossible couples and cute characters.

I've always loved the design of Toujou from Strawberry 100%. Hated the series and am neutral about the way she looks in the beginning, but when she takes those glasses off and unbraids her hair.... Damn girl. One of the things I like about her is that her amazing cuteness totally sneaks up on you. I love long hair, brunette especially, and I love a little mouth. Her eyes are probably my favorite feature; I like eyes that are mostly round with just a little angle, giving a straight-forward and innocent look. I also like the little "fang" that some girls have sometimes, but imagining it on Toujou, it doesn't really fit. For me, the fang look looks best on loli characters.
l7997

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

yeah. i thought so too.

if you want to design a character that is cute to your tastes then isn't it best for you to attempt sketching and coloring one?

i'm not against inspiration from other designs, or considering what traits are best used, but this post makes me feel bitter. probably because this is just for some whimsical pleasure and when it comes to character designs being meant just for show i get annoyed; most people never get past the physical or typical moe moe and it leads to a bad case of mary-gary sues.

however, perception is subjective and it's not like this is hurting anyone (but your character if you take it seriously), and this is interesting because we get a chance to look at how people define levels of attractiveness in anime and manga because it reflects how they've been influenced.

Quote:
Well, cute is in the eye of the beholder. The point? To talk about cute girls and what features we think are the cutest I don't think this is a waste of a topic. Afterall not all topics should have to be deep and as much as I love discussing anime metaphors and symbolism, especially Utena ones, it's fun to just kick back and let your imagination run with imagining impossible couples and cute characters.

this makes me even more bitter.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Why all the bitterness?
Enjoy life.
Take a deep breath and relax Cool
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
This cat. Laughing

I'm pretty fine with most 2D female characters but they're a big plus if they have eyepatches, silver/white hair, and is sadistic (teasing).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1