• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Can I Get Anime Soundtracks on Vinyl?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
looking at and reading the album contents was certainly different than buying and downloading a few tunes today.

It's even entirely different than CDs or cassettes. I love having that huge album art, and it's no wonder that people often decorate with them.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but vinyl just introduces too much distortion and pops and crackles to be taken seriously by pros
DerekL1963 wrote:
Not to worry, I was born pre-digital and have embraced digital music and photography wholeheartedly. I don't miss the past.

I grew up with a big room-sized vinyl collection in its day, too, but recently when my relatives put a few of our old kids'-favorite vinyls on their old turntable for the kids, I suddenly realized...."What's that sound?? Shocked "

You don't miss that scratch-crackle-and-pop until it's been gone for thirty-five years, and then...you still don't miss it.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Not anime, but I once saw a soundtrack vinyl for Godzilla (1954) in a high street retailer in Edinburgh. If I had a vinyl player, I would have bought it in a second.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I have to wonder if the people chasing vinyl editions would love them so much if they had to tape a nickel to their tone arm just so their favorite song would play without skipping. I took care of my albums with loving care and they still ended up scratched and warped. When the digital age hit, I tossed all 600 some of my albums and never looked back.

I also worked in a secondhand store where there was one incident of someone removing the diamond tips off of all if the record players (presumably to attempt to sell them off as precious gems). I don't know if that would be an issue to some people though, where if you try to buy a used record player that the diamond tip would wind up missing.

I grew up in the era of magnetic tape, and by the time I was old enough to understand how playing music works, my parents had already replaced most of their vinyl collection with cassette tapes, and in turn I witnessed them replacing much (but not nearly all of them) with CDs. That means vinyl was before my time, so I really don't understand it much. I don't even know how to start a record player, as I can't find on/off switches on them. The people I've met who are into vinyl seem to be about my age or younger though, which fits into the pattern of what I'm seeing on this topic, being that the people who dislike vinyl the most are the people who actually lived through the vinyl age.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder if those who are getting back into vinyl treat more as a hobby than a necessity. Maybe they'll only using the vinyl playing as a treat and use more care with each and every record because they know how fragile the things are, but out of resourcefulness, they still have digital resources for pretty much all music, and there's no reason to play a record to wrapped death.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I also worked in a secondhand store where there was one incident of someone removing the diamond tips off of all if the record players (presumably to attempt to sell them off as precious gems). I don't know if that would be an issue to some people though, where if you try to buy a used record player that the diamond tip would wind up missing.
Laughing That's useless as the "diamond stylus" was industrial grade, and later man made so, besides being virtually microscopic in size, only good for use as a stylus and worthless otherwise. Laughing

Quote:
I grew up in the era of magnetic tape, and by the time I was old enough to understand how playing music works, my parents had already replaced most of their vinyl collection with cassette tapes, and in turn I witnessed them replacing much (but not nearly all of them) with CDs. That means vinyl was before my time, so I really don't understand it much. I don't even know how to start a record player, as I can't find on/off switches on them. The people I've met who are into vinyl seem to be about my age or younger though, which fits into the pattern of what I'm seeing on this topic, being that the people who dislike vinyl the most are the people who actually lived through the vinyl age.
I never said I disliked vinyl in fact I still charish my collection some of which would fetch more than what I paid for them at auction. I can tell the difference between anologue and digital music just by playing the same tune with both. The anologue sound has much more depth, range, and warmth. We are anologue creatures afterall. Digital just can't reproduce the same thing as it gets lost in translation.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder if those who are getting back into vinyl treat more as a hobby than a necessity. Maybe they'll only using the vinyl playing as a treat and use more care with each and every record because they know how fragile the things are, but out of resourcefulness, they still have digital resources for pretty much all music, and there's no reason to play a record to wrapped death.

I think some of the young vinyl fans actually like the graininess and distortion that comes with worn-down vinyl records. I visited a Fry's Electronics and saw a device on display that can play this new music format that supposedly recreates that.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Laughing That's useless as the "diamond stylus" was industrial grade, and later man made so, besides being virtually microscopic in size, only good for use as a stylus and worthless otherwise. Laughing

I never said I disliked vinyl in fact I still charish my collection some of which would fetch more than what I paid for them at auction. I can tell the difference between anologue and digital music just by playing the same tune with both. The anologue sound has much more depth, range, and warmth. We are anologue creatures afterall. Digital just can't reproduce the same thing as it gets lost in translation.

I had a feeling that this thief was a complete idiot.

I really can't hear the difference between analog and digital except the aforementioned graininess from worn-down or low-quality vinyls and magnetic tape media. Is it anything like how some videophiles prefer watching their movies on those big film reels rather than on disc or digitally?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think some of the young vinyl fans actually like the graininess and distortion that comes with worn-down vinyl records. I visited a Fry's Electronics and saw a device on display that can play this new music format that supposedly recreates that.

Interesting. I listen to vinyl quite often but it's always *despite* the dust and the pops rather than because of it. I like the "LP sound", but the static and the dust is not a good part of that!

This is overly simplified & generalized but IMHO it works a bit like this:

Pro: The LP likely lacks the digital funny-business (autotune, dynamic range compression, and compression) that many digital recordings have.
Con: The LP might very well have pops, hisses and dust on it.

The question is which dominates? It's a bit like comparing a perfectly sharp pixellated image versus a non-pixellated image that is viewed through a window. Which looks better depends entirely on how dirty the window (LP) might be.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
One would had thunk Japanese fans would embrace LPs since they love the ephemeral of things - mono no aware

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

For that to happen LPs would have to actually go away which they show no likelihood of doing anytime soon.

Or are you referring to the transient nature of an individual record that wears out the more you play it? If that is the case they should take up 8 track tapes. Those tended to self destruct in the first dozen or so plays. Even more so in car players where they were being bounced around while being played. Back when 8 track car players were common it was normal to see reels of audio tape at street corners and beside the road where people had thrown the tape out the window in frustration and other cars ran over it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Or are you referring to the transient nature of an individual record that wears out the more you play it? If that is the case they should take up 8 track tapes. Those tended to self destruct in the first dozen or so plays. Even more so in car players where they were being bounced around while being played.

But there's not much aesthetic beauty to the 8-track system. There has to be aesthetic beauty first, then transient nature.
TheRealJpoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough the Pop-rock band Scandal still puts out their singles on 7" vinyl as well as their newest LP. When I saw them in Tokyo I was able to pick up the 4th FMA: Brotherhood ending "Shunkan Sentimental" that they did on vinyl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3