• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Dolls (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama Dolls Available on CrunchyRoll

[quote=Wikipedia's Plot Summary]Kyouhei, after moving away to Tokyo from his old town to get away from the events that happened, is on a goukon with his friends, including his old neighbor, Shiba. After drinking for a whole night, he and Shiba discover a dead, bloody, body in the elevator. He is told by his younger sister, Utao with her Kamisama Doll, that Aki, an old friend, and his Doll, are the culprits responsible.[/quote]

Opening Theme:
"Fukanzen Nunshō" by Chiaki Ishikawa
Ending Theme:
"Switch ga Ittara" by Chiaki Ishikawa

Episodes: 13

The first episode starts off flashy with explosions and other cool stuff. Then we proceed to the Opening sung by Chiaki Ishikawa, known for the OP in Bokurano and an ED in Gundam 00, which didn't seem as good to me as her other songs. Then there's a party where we are introduced to several characters - two of importance. First, a lady with big boobies whose name I believe is Shiba and the main character whose name I forgot because I realized that the female had big boobs.

So far, the anime seems full of tropes and cliches. Not many interesting things but I'll watch a few more episodes. And the characters blush too much - in about half of the scenes there is blushing. What I like the most so far is the ED. I believe this anime has a bad start but hopefully future episodes will fix a somewhat boring start.

Edit: Fixed grammar.

The Main Character is also an university student.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
There's enough milk in there to feed at least 5 starving babies.

Anyway, the beginning made it sound epic, 'Eva 01 going berserk' epic, but then lack of originality strikes. It's not bad or anything, but it'll take a bit more to convince me.

When are we gonna have another good thing like Angel Beats!? Randomness ftw! Oh well, no matter how bad the bloody thing gets there will be Natsume 3.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't take a show like this right now. The core plot seems alright, ancient robot looking "gods" that protect a village, a culture clash at the heart of the conflict, but I simply cannot take another posturing psycho villain. And the lead doesn't help, all manly and composed when facing dead bodies and danger, a simpering voice-cracking wuss when he's facing a pair of boobies, or really any normal social interaction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
but I simply cannot take another posturing psycho villain. And the lead doesn't help, all manly and composed when facing dead bodies and danger, a simpering voice-cracking wuss when he's facing a pair of boobies, or really any normal social interaction.

That's a bit harsh. Not that I can refute your description, but it is no more contrived that many series that turned out pretty well. I'll wait at least 3 episodes.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
all manly and composed when facing dead bodies and danger, a simpering voice-cracking wuss when he's facing a pair of boobies, or really any normal social interaction.

He's used to the whole gods and danger thing, but not big-city social life. Remember he grew up in a rural village. It's culture shock; some get over it quickly, he isn't one of those people.

I'll give this one a shot for now. It seems promising.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
yeah, normally I could get past it but maybe it's the horrible taste that Deadman Wonderland left in my mouth, or the stupid wine-sipping, raping, sadist Marquis from Gosick, but the second I saw the serial killer smirk while he watched from above I started grimacing. Then we get the scene in the apartment with him spoiler[spouting off the crap about his killings being the fault of the village and throwing around the little girl] and I lost it. These characters are the bane of my action anime watching experience and I have to take a break from watching shows in which they are featured so heavily.

I'd definitely be able to forgive a show with a simpering wuss character, I do that all the time, and sometimes they do redeem themselves, but his presence didn't make me feel sorry for my decision to drop it.

No psychos, that's my goal for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
The 'simpering wuss character' was my biggest question about the show coming in. I generally despise characters that try to abandon their superpowers because they dislike it or someone got hurt. But there are some positives: College students instead of high school, the male lead may be a wuss, but he's not an asshole (i.e., Hidan no Aria), a great OP animation, and the female lead has 'huge... tracts of land'. And the design of the god dolls kept reminding me of Xam'd. But the fight animation wasn't that impressive, and the story was kind of all over the place. But there is enough here to spin this one, although I don't see it getting beyond a 'B' grade.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
I dug it a lot. But then again, I'm notoriously easy to please. Anyway, I'm very interested in where things go from here.
AniMaybeBlog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Best "Next Episode Preview" I've seen in a while. It's convinced me that Kukuri is a robotic prototype of Kyubey.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
I will stick with Kamisama Dolls because:

A) I like that the main character is out of high school.

B) I appreciate small doses of reality in otherwise unrealistic situations, like Kyouhei being concerned about his apartment getting trashed during the fight scene. Many shows tend to ignore the implications of supernatural/mechanized destruction (Sacred Seven just a couple days ago).

C) I like Busty Childhood Friend.

However, I was not crazy about the mecha designs, the large metal bunny is not how I picture a god.

I'm ok with all the blushing, that's how we know they were drunk and with BCF running around I expect more blushing is to come. I'm also cool with the psycho villain, since we don't know much about him I think it's to early to judge. I actually like these type of characters when they are given some depth like Accelerator in Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode. It was nice to see some kind of village horror-esque story similar in tone to Shiki. The characters have pretty cliche personalities so far, but spoiler[the hint at Kyouhei's past with leaving the village on a bad note and this feeling that there is a lot more going on in the background] might also mean that there's more to the characters than we see right now. Unlike a lot of people, I actually rather liked the first fight scene, since it's not a stereotypical shounen fight scene, and I like how out-of-place and awkward it actually is. One thing I never particularly liked about shounen series is how normal it seemed for characters to just start beating each other up out of nowhere. I just hope the series can keep this trend up.

Also, on the note about spoiler[endowments]. I didn't find it too distracting, and maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's too unrealistic for an adult women to be like that. They're big, but not laughably so. I've definitely seen much worse in anime, and coming from younger characters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
However, I was not crazy about the mecha designs, the large metal bunny is not how I picture a god.

My speculation is that the "gods" are in fact alien technology artifacts that somehow ended up in the village. I realize that if I'm right, that won't necessarily make you any more enamored of the mecha designs, but I guess it would make them more understandable.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My speculation is that the "gods" are in fact alien technology artifacts that somehow ended up in the village.

I can understand the current generation's great grandparents or even their pre WWI grandparents confusing these droids for gods -- but someone living in modern Japan? I really hope this story explains that the current "seki" or whatever they call themselves understand fully that they somehow have been bequeathed the root password to a weapons system and not in fact dealing with a higher plane of consciousness or something. It would be too stupid otherwise.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
@ HaruhiToy - hey, thanks for responding like a complete a-hole! Yeah, it could also be technology from the future that got sent back in time. Or maybe it was something that pushed aside the stick rammed up your pimply butt and made it's way to a small village in Japan? Gee, the possibilities are endless.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
The painful business of sticks lodged in sensitive areas aside, from what I've read I might have to add this to my list of stuff to check out this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8