• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long have you been into anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I started watching anime in 1998 when I stumbled across Sailor Moon on Cartoon Network. (Tuxedo Mask caught my eye. Embarassed Wink ) And since it was a marathon, I taped it, watched it and got hooked. Then I began getting the VHS tapes that were out at the time (DiC). THEN, I saw Sailor Moon on the cover of Animerica and my eyes were opened to the wide and wonderful world of anime.

I've been addicted ever since.

.... Rolling Eyes

All the more reason to never change my avatar...lol

I didn't really GET into anime until around Digimon. Sure, I saw Nemo the Dream-Master, and My Neighbor Totoro when I was really little, but they didn't impact me much (I was too young to remember them. Man, I wish I could see them again!) And, yeah, I did see one episode of Sailor Moon when I was two, but the effects of that are still hotly debated by my psyche.

...*twitch, twitch*....

I'd see some Voltron on my annual summer trips to Puerto Rico...in Spanish...(seriously, if you guys complain about the change from Japanese to American, watch Spanish-dubbed anime Mad )
Pokemon came and stuck, I got into Digimon, KidsWB started giving Cardcaptors, then one day, I was at a hotel, and I talked to a fellow-kid and asked him, "Hey, do you watch Pokemon or Digimon?" and he said, "Ew, no! I hate anime!"

My reaction: "...There's a name for those types of cartoons?! Shocked "

Then along came .hack//SIGN. The rest is history.

Long story short: eight years. Eight beautiful, harsh, cat-girl-filled, poorly-dubbed, D-cupped, over-censored years. Anime smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
mind over matter wrote:
I'm a newbi anime fan Anime hyper I've only been into it for a little less than a year. About the same as JG. I think my first anime was Noir...funny for me to start with something dark when I hate dark anime

I thought you told me that your first anime was Full Metal Panic.

Anyway, I have said in other threads that my first anime was Spirited Away, but I was thinking about it and I remember now that it was actually Love Hina. I'd seen snippets of other shows such as DBZ and Pokemon in years prior but I didn't like them. Love Hina was the first anime I watched in it's entirety, the first anime series I actually liked, and it was also my first ever anime purchase.

Here's some background:

During the summer of 2006, I played this flash game called Love Hina Sim Date RPG quite a lot. I liked the girls (Naru especially) and I found while searching the name "Love Hina" one day that it was actually a TV series. I saw the box set at Borders one day, and so decided to pick it up. Best impluse buy ever! Mr. Green

EDIT: It wasn't until a couple of months later that I watched Spirited Away. That film impacted me so much that I quickly dove headlong into Miyazaki. My passion for anime soon followed.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I started to get into anime (well, Japanimation then) when I was about 11 years old. I used to be a huge comic book reader and there were a couple of anime dealers at the comic shows my dad and I used to go to. To be honest, I don't really remember my "first" anime, I think it was a DNA^2 fansub but I remember really wanting more and really getting into it. About a year later, I started watching English dubs of Dragonball, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers, and Sailormoon. Soon after, I started watching fansubs of Dragonball Z and bought my first anime movie, Project A-ko (the gift that keeps on giving, I say). It's been probably the most dominant and longest running continual hobby I've had in my still short life.

So, I would say that being a fan of anime and knowing it, brings me up to about 13 years.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Nemo's a strange case. That one was initially slated to be a ghibli film (Miyazaki himself handled character designs at one point) then something happnend, and it ended up getting produced in america.

If I'm wrong on any of that correct me.
mind over matter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
mind over matter wrote:
I'm a newbi anime fan Anime hyper I've only been into it for a little less than a year. About the same as JG. I think my first anime was Noir...funny for me to start with something dark when I hate dark anime

I thought you told me that your first anime was Full Metal Panic.

your right, it was, but I didn't watch the full thing. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that Noir was one of the first where I watched all 26 episodes. I honestly can't remember the exact order of what I watched and when, but Noir wad definitely one of the first
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Basically I remember when I used to rent Robotech from the local library and at the time I assumed that Robotech was an American 'cartoon'. It wasn't really until the DBZ era of anime ushered in millions of screaming new fans, I was more of a Gundam Wing fan. And basically since then (1999ish) I've always enjoyed watching these silly Japanese cartoons. Since then my interest in anime has only grown, along with my collection of DVDs.
CGord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It's been three, maybe four years now. I've always been an animation fan, but never got into anime until I decided to check out InuYasha on [as].

I remember watching Sailor Moon on TV w/my daughters in the mid/late 90's; sometimes it was funny, but mostly it was too corny for me to take seriously ("Tuxedo Mask"? WTF?). I remember wondering what was up with the one big bead of sweat or the plus sign on their heads. Laughing
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I am exactly seven years, 1 month and 1 week old as an anime fan.

How can I know so precisely? Because Gundam Wing debuted on CN on 3/11/00.

I was previously watching some anme, like DBZ and Ronin Warriors, but GW really blew me away. Everything just snowballed after that. Ironically, I only got around to buying GW this year or last.
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I really am not sure Anime hyper If it was when I new it was anime, it would have be about 14 years. If it's when I didn't know it was anime then probably uhm... 22 years? I really don't know...
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
It really depends on what you mean by "into". i mean to what degree is it because im sure there are alot of people who watch toonami/miguzi/adult swim everyday/weekend who are dedicated to the anime shown on cable because they are ignorant of the anime variety that is shown elsewhere. well thats how i see it.

i use to be one of those people actually. i use to watch on tv everyday and be sure not to miss any new episodes starting in 1999. i seriously started watching because i learned of the internet and learned of the vast numbers of anime there are that arent shown on tv near early 2005 around the same time i joined ANN
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pknecron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Early 80's with Robotech and Voltron... then I didn't really watch too much again until the mid 90's when you started to see some stuff available on VHS.
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I am exactly seven years, 1 month and 1 week old as an anime fan.

How can I know so precisely? Because Gundam Wing debuted on CN on 3/11/00.

Wow I had the same experience. I hadn't really watched any anime at all until one day I flipped to Gundam Wing on Toonami. From there it was Outlaw Star, Big O, all the old school Toonami stuff. Been hooked ever since.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching it since 1995-ish. I didn't know that it was anime until 97 and haven't stopped since then. Me love anime and almost always have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Truered

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been into anime (properly) longer then Manga (just over a year) but my actual collection pales next to my Manga (never feel like sitting down and watching DVD half the time). Mostly Studio Ghibli, Excel Saga and NGE.

Of course in the late 90s as a ten/eleven year old there was a certain TV show based on a popular game originally with 151 strange creatures. My how I looked forward to the movie as a ten year old (I can get Nostalgic) Rolling Eyes
Rainulf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I've been into anime as long as i can remember. I'm 15 right now, so I'm gueassing 10 years? lol. The first anime I've ever watched is Voltron or Sailor Moon (i can't remember).. lol Well, if you look in my profile i have around 170 animes listed as watched, but i think i've watched about 500+ animes, i just don't wanna list it since those animes are too old to be rated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11