• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Zero (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I think spoiler[Cthulhu] being one of the servants is delicious. He thought the boy was too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
He said he is currently known as spoiler[Bluebeard.] He could, of course, be lying. The pause and his attitude certainly suggest that he was. As far as I know, there isn't any connection between spoiler[Cthulhu and Bluebeard.] So if we take his reply at face value, the spoiler[Cthulhu] part was probably not supposed to be his name.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the spoiler[tentacles were created by a spell called Cthulhu]?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
spoiler[Waver's servant. It does not tell us anything about the class of this servant.]

A week late since I missed that post, but....that's revealed in the opening as well. It showed him riding a chariot.

The opening revealed quite a bit actually.

Episode 2:

Just as I expected, Rider is going to be a lot of fun in this show. And loli Ilya is entertaining too. The episode is short compared to the 1st though.

edit: Wait, Ilya was always a loli...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode two was good as well. spoiler[Looks like Assassin has already been taken out of the game though, seemingly double crossed by Kyrie, his own master.]
Herp n Derp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
The episode is short compared to the 1st

The first episode was pushing 45 mins and a special double feature, whilst ep2 is back to the normal 24 mins.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 delievers more fate goodness. A bit slow, but it is in accordance to the light novel plot. In the novel, the identities were revealed to the spectator quite readily but I think only 1 of the servants goes around parading his identity to his rivals (really not hard to guess).

Regarding Assassin-spoiler[I wouldn't count your eggs quite yet. ]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
All righty, I'm back from the hospital. Mini-Ilya was so cute my heart stopped.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. spoiler[It was a lot of blah-blah-blah-backstory-yeah-whatever details that bored the crap outta me, and too many of the characters acted like dickweeds compared to Fate/Stay Night. WTF, man]? I'll give it the 4 ep test because I saw the first series, but if it has the same problems at the first episode, I'm bailing.

EDIT: Wait a minute, now I realize why it doesn't feel like the series I liked. They made it all dark and whatever because they expected that the teenagers who liked the Shiro-shounen-boy-gonna-kick-some-ass-and-fight-for-the-good in 2006 are 20-somethings now and...they're supposed to like dark complicated stuff where characters aren't likable now? I dunno. But yeah, I think I'm not part of their grow-with-the-series demo. Ah well, I'll still give it a chance.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
....is this really all that darker than Fate/Stay Night? The tone is pretty similar to me. It does get darker later on...but definately not now.

The only thing that's "darker" in this series is this war's version of Assasin if you get what I mean. Wink
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
....is this really all that darker than Fate/Stay Night? The tone is pretty similar to me. It does get darker later on...but definately not now.

Well, they're all moody adults who dress in black, and more of them seem meaner this time. So it feels darker, I guess.

Wait, it gets even darker after ep 1? Oh boy, 4 ep test, can't back out.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
The Fate/Stay Night VN had a lot of dark and edgy stuff. It's just that most of it is hidden in the least well-known Heaven's Feel route, which was never adapted into an anime--the TV series was based on the Fate route, probably the most idealistic, while the movie was based on the UBW route, which was still quite idealistic. With Fate/Zero, everything is right there.

Of course, to those of us who just watched the anime without reading the VN, the change in mood is quite noticeable.
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
In my case it isn't that I have grown up; when I watched Fate/Stay Night I thought it was mildly interesting but too cute and fluffy to really get into (until the last few episodes which I enjoyed). Fate/Zero however is shaping up to be great. The first 20mins or so of ep1 were very dry to set up the story, but I've been enjoying the ride ever since.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
Dark stuff is ufotable's speciality so everyone familiarized with the studio saw this one coming.

No complaints from me though. I like dark stuff, and the art here is just gorgeous.

Besides, how often do we get something this dark anyway? Not even Madoka Magica approached this level. Which is the most recent example which comes to mind.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Question: How much do the contestants in this Grail War discover about the war's inner workings? spoiler[e.g. the masters being useful only for summoning the servants, the servants being sacrifices to fuel the Holy Grail, the whole thing being a method by which the three main families can punch a hole through space-time to the origin, rendering all the infighting and bloodshed fairly pointless in the long run?]

Because having that knowledge before watching the series makes the whole thing pretty tragic, but if the main characters never figure any of that out it might get a little frustrating!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 52