• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Noir have to do with Madlax, and which did you prefer?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
About the blood, if you read the DVD inserts that contain director's interviews and such that come with the ADVision DVDs, it says that depiction of blood of any kind was not allowed on whatever Japanese TV stations and/or timeslots that Noir (and maybe Madlax, I am not as sure about that one) was broadcasted on. So that explains the lack of blood in those shows. It's not necessarily done by choice. The director said that he thought the show still worked fine without the blood but did comment that it wasn't entirely his decision to make the shows that way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Not according to the sound track CD. Noir was good. Madlax just did my head in.

Really? Maybe the Noir sound track CD credits are wrong then (also not sure which country's version and OST number you are referring to). No big deal I guess.

According to ANN Encyclopedia and the ADVision DVDs themselves, the intro song to Noir was done by ALI PROJECT which does a lot of Bee Train shows (sometimes OP/ED songs and sometimes BGM) and the ending song by some other singer or group Akino Arai whom I'm not otherwise familiar with. While the BGM to Noir is done by Yuki Kajiura, who also does a lot of Bee Train shows.

Madlax was all done by Yuki Kajiura.
Ms. Kajiura composed the lot, but she didn't play the lot, however the piano pieces are her. I don't believe I've ever heard her sing. She has a degree in European Classical Music that she went to a university in Germany for. She also studied Celtic music whilst there as well. A composer doesn't necessarily have to play their composition much beyond their chosen instrument they use to make it, indeed many compositions are meant for a completely different person, band, or orchestra to perform.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ms. Kajiura composed the lot

I do agree with everything you said except for this part. However it may be harder (not impossible) for me to prove you wrong on this, especially if the CD documentation states as you claim. Can you mention which specific CD/OST# (there are several OSTs for Noir in addition to CD singles) where this is stated on the included leaflets/packaging? Also which country's release you are looking at (this is only relevant because this is a documentation issue). I don't expect scans or anything, that's asking too much, just a mention of what exact product is stating this.

I believe that Yuki Kajiura did not compose either the opening or ending songs for Noir. However you are correct that just because the ANN Encyclopedia credits these songs to ALI PROJECT and Akino Arai separately, that does not conclusively prove that she did not compose the scores to these songs. I'm also basing my belief based upon my personal experience with listening to Yuki Kajiura's compositions, and ALI PROJECT's compositions (I have no experience with Akino Arai whether that be referring a singer or a group or both)...however that's not hard fact.

I guess the best way to obtain conclusive documentation of this, that would be unambiguous, would be to obtain the original Japanese CD single of the opening song to Noir, or maybe find scans of its packaging online if someone scanned it (technically illegal but ah well). Because no BGM should be present on such a CD so if Yuki Kajiura's name is still credited, that would prove you are right.

edit: Perhaps this will be enough to convince you. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VICL-35258

According to that site the composer of Coppelia's Casket, and most likely the composer for the group ALI PROJECT in general, is Mikiya Katakura.

While Hisaaki Hokari turned up as the composer in a similar search of cdjapan for the ending song to Noir. Although I'm not as certain about that one since I could only find an album for Akino Arai, not a CD single.

However I'd understand if you don't believe this either. Even documentation on the original Japanese products can potentially be mistaken on rare occasion. That's why I asked you which specific CD you found your documentation on, so we have more info to compare.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Not according to the sound track CD. Noir was good. Madlax just did my head in.

Really? Maybe the Noir sound track CD credits are wrong then (also not sure which country's version and OST number you are referring to). No big deal I guess.

According to ANN Encyclopedia and the ADVision DVDs themselves, the intro song to Noir was done by ALI PROJECT which does a lot of Bee Train shows (sometimes OP/ED songs and sometimes BGM) and the ending song by some other singer or group Akino Arai whom I'm not otherwise familiar with. While the BGM to Noir is done by Yuki Kajiura, who also does a lot of Bee Train shows.

Madlax was all done by Yuki Kajiura.
Ms. Kajiura composed the lot, but she didn't play the lot, however the piano pieces are her. I don't believe I've ever heard her sing. She has a degree in European Classical Music that she went to a university in Germany for. She also studied Celtic music whilst there as well. A composer doesn't necessarily have to play their composition much beyond their chosen instrument they use to make it, indeed many compositions are meant for a completely different person, band, or orchestra to perform.

A degree in Euro classical? So she can speak English?

Somehow I can just tell Noir's OP/ED is not done by any FictionJunction. But you gotta admit, while Yuki didn't play it, she's gotta be really creative when it comes to our Madlax OP/ED/BGM combo. Do you know who did the flute solo in Hitomi no Kakera (Madlax OP)? Best OP for any anime I've seen Razz

Hoopefully though at least one half of FictionJunction Yuuka can speak English, I mean you can't really sing "Here in the rain" without knowing what it means.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5